[Trivia Game] Post your unbeatable trivia questions here (so it could be beaten in 10 minutes)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,632

Re: [Trivia Game] Post your unbeatable trivia questions here (so it could be beaten in 10 minutes) 

Post#261 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:34 pm

Which player had the nickname "The Elevator from Decatur"?

Hint: Decatur is a small city in Georgia, population 24k.

Hint 2: he was drafted by Atlanta.

Hint 3: he played only 1 season in the NBA.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,067

Re: [Trivia Game] Post your unbeatable trivia questions here (so it could be beaten in 10 minutes) 

Post#262 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:51 pm

At one time, if a team signed a guy in free agency, they had to negotiate compensation with the team they signed him away from.

Who's the most accomplished player ever to be transferred on such a basis?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,509

Post#263 » by ellobo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:07 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:At one time, if a team signed a guy in free agency, they had to negotiate compensation with the team they signed him away from.

I'd say Moses Malone, the reigning MVP, from the Rockets to the Sixers.

Here's an easy one, on a somewhat related note: What family had the most siblings play in the NBA (4)?

Bonus: How is this answer related to previous one?
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
Buckets22
Sixth Man
And1: 1,513

Post#264 » by Buckets22 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:13 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Buckets22 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:"____ and I are the only brother combination in history to ever play in the Super Bowl and to win the NBA championship."

I just found that quote, and would have had no idea who said it. Can any of you actually guess?

Hah, same player as above - Bill and Bruce Walton :lol:

How about it...not an actual quote.

I played for two Georgias and hit a game winner for the Utah Jazz.

Shandon Anderson is my guess.

Nope, the two Georgias are one in Europe and one in USA.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,866

Post#265 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:21 pm

Before they were named Pearl Jam, the grunge rock band was named after this player.

In his honor, they named their first album Ten
ellobo
Veteran

Post#266 » by ellobo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:32 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:Before they were named Pearl Jam, the grunge rock band was named after this player.

In his honor, they named their first album Ten

Mookie Blaylock.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#267 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:40 pm

ellobo wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:At one time, if a team signed a guy in free agency, they had to negotiate compensation with the team they signed him away from.

Here's an easy one, on a somewhat related note: What family had the most siblings play in the NBA (4)?

I don't know the Malone story. Who was he FA compensation for?

The obvious siblings guess is the Sons of Rick Barry.
ellobo
Veteran

Post#268 » by ellobo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:54 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
ellobo wrote:

Moses WAS the free agent. He signed with the Sixers and the Rockets matched the offer as part of a sign and trade. Moses was technically a restricted free agent, but there was no unrestricted free agency in the NBA until 1988. That's why teams had to arrange compensation if a player wanted to move to another team.

The Barry's only had 3 siblings play in the NBA: Brent, Jon and Drew (the same number as several other families, including the Holidays, who have all appeared in the same game).

But there's another family that had 4 siblings play in the NBA, and it's related to the Moses Malone answer.

GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#269 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:59 pm

ellobo wrote:
ellobo wrote:

Moses WAS the free agent. He signed with the Sixers and the Rockets matched the offer as part of a sign and trade. Moses was technically a restricted free agent, but there was no unrestricted free agency in the NBA until 1988. That's why teams had to arrange compensation if a player wanted to move to another team.

The Barry's only had 3 siblings play in the NBA: Brent, Jon and Drew (the same number as several other families, including the Holidays, who have all appeared in the same game).

But there's another family that had 4 siblings play in the NBA, and it's related to the Moses Malone answer.

The Jones family: Caldwell, Charles, Major, Wil.

The relation to Moses Malone is that Caldwell was part of the compensation package which brought Moses to the Sixers.
ellobo
Veteran

Post#270 » by ellobo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:01 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
ellobo wrote:

The relation to Moses Malone is that Caldwell was part of the compensation package which brought Moses to the Sixers.

Correct!

Bonus free agency question: Who was the first player to sign a new contract and switch teams as an unrestricted free agent?

GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#271 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:10 pm

Buckets22 wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:
Buckets22 wrote:Hah, same player as above - Bill and Bruce Walton :lol:

How about it...not an actual quote.

I played for two Georgias and hit a game winner for the Utah Jazz.

Who is this pokemon?

Zaza Pachulia is from Georgia (the country) and played in Georgia (Atlanta), but didn't play for the Jazz in order to hit a game winner for them.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#272 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:15 pm

ellobo wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:
ellobo wrote:

Correct!

Bonus free agency question: Who was the first player to sign a new contract and switch teams as an unrestricted free agent?

Tom Chambers back when he was in Seattle, IIRC. I remember reading about this in a book, perhaps it was "Tall Tales" by Terry Pluto?
Buckets22
Sixth Man
And1: 1,513

Post#273 » by Buckets22 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:21 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Buckets22 wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

Who is this pokemon?

Zaza Pachulia is from Georgia (the country) and played in Georgia (Atlanta), but didn't play for the Jazz in order to hit a game winner for them.

Ooops, I messed it up...had to be In Georgias instead of For Georgias.
Its Sundiata Gaines.
ellobo
Veteran

Post#274 » by ellobo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:21 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
ellobo wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

Correct!

Tom Chambers back when he was in Seattle, IIRC. I remember reading about this in a book, perhaps it was "Tall Tales" by Terry Pluto?

Yup, you had to have been in the league at least 7 years and be going into at least your third contract after the 1988 season in order to qualify for unrestricted free agency. There were a number of qualified unrestricted free agents, but Chambers was the first to sign with a new team (Phoenix).

Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#275 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:38 pm

ellobo wrote:
ellobo wrote:

Ahh.

In the case I was thinking of, a highly accomplished player WAS the main compensation. The receiving team also sent a lot of compensation back, as well as permission to sign the FA (who wound up being far from the most important aspect of the deal).
ellobo
Veteran

Post#276 » by ellobo » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:45 pm

ellobo wrote:

Ahh.

In the case I was thinking of, a highly accomplished player WAS the main compensation. The receiving team also sent a lot of compensation back, as well as permission to sign the FA (who wound up being far from the most important aspect of the deal).

I can't think of the case you're referring to.

The Lakers got the draft pick they used to select Magic Johnson as part of the compensation for Utah signing Gail Goodrich, which also included a bunch of other picks on both sides, but those were all future picks; Goodrich was the only current player and he was the free agent who switched teams.

Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#277 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:13 pm

ellobo wrote:
ellobo wrote:

Ahh.

I can't think of the case you're referring to.

The Lakers got the draft pick they used to select Magic Johnson as part of the compensation for Utah signing Gail Goodrich, which also included a bunch of other picks on both sides, but those were all future picks; Goodrich was the only current player and he was the free agent who switched teams.

Hint: The player originally signed to set the whole thing off later became both his team's GM or equivalent (it's always hard to recall titles precisely, but they had a POBO equivalent who wasn't him) and head coach. While well-liked, he is generally regarded as one of the least distinguished in team history in either of those roles.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#278 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:25 am

Which NBA players were named after other NBA players, EXCLUDING cases where they were close relatives of each other?

(For example, Wardell Stephen Curry II doesn't count.)
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,275

Post#279 » by heezyo2o » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:12 am

Before a 2002 playoff game against Sacramento, Kobe got food poisoning from a meal he ordered from room service. What did he order?
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,246

Post#280 » by HomoSapien » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:27 am

Which NBA player played with Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaquille O'Neal, and Kobe Bryant but never won a championship?
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.

Return to The General Board