2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins and goes to the WCFs?

Thunder in 4
4%
Thunder in 5
9%
Thunder in 6
21%
Thunder in 7
12%
Mavericks in 4
1%
Mavericks in 5
4%
Mavericks in 6
39%
Mavericks in 7
10%

Total votes: 326

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,326

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#2821 » by amcoolio » Sat May 11, 2024 10:58 pm

Charlotte influencing a playoff series finally lol. Looks like OKC should have ponied up more for PJ than Dallas. He will be back to mediocre after this series if they get there, but this is the best matchup for him (and probably would have been if he was a Thunder going against the Mavs)
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
DrModesty
Senior
And1: 540

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#2822 » by DrModesty » Sat May 11, 2024 11:00 pm

I think a big part of it is that OKC is not actually in a rush. The plan was always to let this group make the playoffs and see how they and Daignault cope, then use the information to make properly informed decisions. It just happened faster than anticipated, and with a higher seeding than anticipated.

I'd be annoyed if the situation is the same 2 years from now, when Dub and Chet have turned in to real 2nd and 3rd offensive options. As of right now they are closer to 3rd and 4th offensive options with extremely well rounded games.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 30,035

Post#2823 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat May 11, 2024 11:00 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
DrModesty wrote:
Bam would be great too, but he is going to be a max guy for ever and he doesn't space the floor.

I don’t consider shooting a bunch of 3s to be the only way to space the floor. Bam takes a high percentage from mid in pick and pop and shoots fantastic from there.

It's crazy to me that OKC was involved with the Mavs getting both Lively and Gafford but got neither, they should have just kept one of them for themselves. That could cost them the season.

It’s pretty unfortunate for sure. Gafford is a few years older now but I’m big on Lively.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,214

Post#2824 » by theFireBlanket » Sat May 11, 2024 11:03 pm

OKC ain't cooked. Game 4/5 left.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,045

Post#2825 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 11, 2024 11:03 pm

DrModesty wrote:I think a big part of it is that OKC is not actually in a rush. The plan was always to let this group make the playoffs and see how they and Daignault cope, then use the information to make properly informed decisions. It just happened faster than anticipated, and with a higher seeding than anticipated.

I'd be annoyed if the situation is the same 2 years from now, when Dub and Chet have turned in to real 2nd and 3rd offensive options. As of right now they are closer to 3rd and 4th offensive options with extremely well rounded games.

They have so many draft picks they could miss on half of them and still end up with a dynasty. But Presti seems to love drafting rookies and collecting draft picks more than making trades when it could help them.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 146

Post#2826 » by Astaluego » Sat May 11, 2024 11:03 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Astaluego wrote:looking from the outside..I think Chet's rim protection is elite..I don't think you need a 5...however more size in the 4.. Giddey+Draft capital needed for Markkanen. + an off season in the weight room for Holdrem and they will be more than fine.. (even if Miami rebuilt Bam is young enough to be untradeable...in my opinion)

Markkanen is another great target and idea. He can stretch the floor but is pretty physical. I just think Bam’s ability to switch and guard 1-5 would fit perfectly on OKC.

Chet and Laury are too similar,wouldn't help that much against real C's...Chet should be the PF(like Dirk was) and you need someone like Tyson Chandler(what he was to Dirk) ...Claxton,Allen,Sengun(but there's little chance Rockets let him go) would be amazing,but even someone like WCJ would be good on C for them

I think with a superstar like SGA who is so good at getting to the rim, wouldn't you want a traditional center, a situational backup? Sure...but not a starter who makes a ton of money...in my opinion
Old Mike Lorenzo
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#2827 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 11, 2024 11:04 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:OKC ain't cooked. Game 4/5 left.

A lot of people called them a weak #1 and that they had no adversity in the first round against Pelicans without Zion. Adversity has arrived now, they will need to win 3 out of 4 games and one has to be in Dallas.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 990

Post#2828 » by LaLover11 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:04 pm

Lively is the Dwight Howard of McGee's
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
DrModesty
Senior

Post#2829 » by DrModesty » Sat May 11, 2024 11:05 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
DrModesty wrote:I think a big part of it is that OKC is not actually in a rush. The plan was always to let this group make the playoffs and see how they and Daignault cope, then use the information to make properly informed decisions. It just happened faster than anticipated, and with a higher seeding than anticipated.

They have so many draft picks they could miss on half of them and still end up with a dynasty. But Presti seems to love drafting rookies and collecting draft picks more than making trades when it could help them.

Last time around Presti made plenty of trades for veterans (very hit and miss though). Surely you have to let the guys he drafted actually play, and deal with success/failure before throwing them away in trades.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#2830 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 11, 2024 11:07 pm

DrModesty wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Last time around Presti made plenty of trades for veterans (very hit and miss though). Surely you have to let the guys he drafted actually play, and deal with success/failure before throwing them away in trades.

I'm not talking about roleplayers, they have the pieces to trade for a star. But they'd have to give up a good amount of draft capitol and a good player or two.
DrModesty
Senior

Post#2831 » by DrModesty » Sat May 11, 2024 11:08 pm

I wouldn't mind Steven Adams back on the Thunder as a guy you use specifically when you are getting hammered on the glass. Absolutely elite rebounder, moves the ball, former fan favorite and he is very good at not clogging the paint with his 'dark arts' maneuvering of opposing players to give players excellent driving lanes. We have seen it with Westbrook, Zion and Ja.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,342

Post#2832 » by sfernald » Sat May 11, 2024 11:10 pm

Great game can’t wait to watch the next one. Let’s see if thunder can respond!
DrModesty
Senior

Post#2833 » by DrModesty » Sat May 11, 2024 11:10 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
DrModesty wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

I'm not talking about roleplayers, they have the pieces to trade for a star. But they'd have to give up a good amount of draft capitol and a good player or two.

They'd end up more expensive than the Warriors if they aren't careful.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#2834 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 11, 2024 11:13 pm

DrModesty wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
DrModesty wrote:

That's just it if the owner isn't willing to spend, it's hard to win multiple championships. Sometimes not even 1. Last time they didn't want to pay Harden 4 million more on the total value of the contract and traded him instead. I heard an OKC fan say the owner was willing to pay the tax this time so we'll see.
Big Lob
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#2835 » by Big Lob » Sat May 11, 2024 11:15 pm

The hack-a-shaq stuff was lame
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,141

Post#2836 » by Residual-Heat » Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

Didnt people say PJ Washington trade was a bad trade/overpay for the Mavs? This is why you dont overvalue 1st round picks.
Petergrifindor
Rookie
And1: 1,512

Post#2837 » by Petergrifindor » Sat May 11, 2024 11:22 pm

advent11 wrote:Mavs needs Luka to be in his usual form to advance further. .

He is not going to be.

This is what Mavs have this year. They have to deal with it.
DrModesty
Senior

Post#2838 » by DrModesty » Sat May 11, 2024 11:23 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
DrModesty wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

That's just it if the owner isn't willing to spend, it's hard to win multiple championships. Sometimes not even 1. Last time they didn't want to pay Harden 4 million more on the total value of the contract and traded him instead. I heard an OKC fan say the owner was willing to pay the tax this time so we'll see.

OKC has paid big tax bills post Harden trade.

There is a difference between that, and the Warriors pay role.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 146

Post#2839 » by Astaluego » Sat May 11, 2024 11:24 pm

amcoolio wrote:Charlotte influencing a playoff series finally lol. Looks like OKC should have ponied up more for PJ than Dallas. He will be back to mediocre after this series if they get there, but this is the best matchup for him (and probably would have been if he was a Thunder going against the Mavs)

PJ has not been mediocre at any time with us...even when his offense was not going well (at first arriving) his defense has been very surprising...maybe a better situation for him?
Old Mike Lorenzo
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,315

Post#2840 » by DonaldSanders » Sat May 11, 2024 11:24 pm

That was a really awesome physical game!

I loved the Luka vs. Dort matchup, chippy the whole way. Sure it was confusing how Dort was allowed so much physicality compared to other defenders, but as a neutral-ish viewer it was a great time. I thought Luka got the best of that matchup because Dort got way too into trying to draw offensive fouls while defending and it took him out of the game. Dort needs to stop the flops (maybe that early flop he drew a foul on worked against him in the end) and dial it back to just play smothering defense without getting himself into foul trouble.

That late Kyrie clutch basket was amazing, these 2 teams are fun to watch! I'm surprised though that Shai is getting criticism (beyond some of the light whistle stuff) as his teammates weren't doing much. 31 pts, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, maybe he doesn't have as many highlights so you don't notice as much but he delivered.

Return to The General Board