2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins and goes to the WCFs?

Thunder in 4
4%
Thunder in 5
9%
Thunder in 6
21%
Thunder in 7
12%
Mavericks in 4
1%
Mavericks in 5
4%
Mavericks in 6
39%
Mavericks in 7
10%

Total votes: 326

OE_Thunder
Ballboy
And1: 49

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#2841 » by OE_Thunder » Sat May 11, 2024 11:24 pm

Thunder just couldn't execute their offense down the stretch. Gotta give credit to Dallas's defense though. Last 2 games, their rotations have been on point. The Hack a Lively felt like a desperate attempt by Daigneault and I think it did more harm to the thunder's offense then helped. Still think this goes 7 but the thunder have to figure out how to execute down the stretch.

Sent from my SM-S928U using RealGM mobile app
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,043

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 2-1) 

Post#2842 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 11, 2024 11:25 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:Didnt people say PJ Washington trade was a bad trade/overpay for the Mavs? This is why you dont overvalue 1st round picks.

Not just fans, even the "experts" at espn gave the Mavs trade deadline a D grade.

A year ago the same espn said Luka and Kyrie would never work.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,241

Post#2843 » by Archx » Sat May 11, 2024 11:27 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:Didnt people say PJ Washington trade was a bad trade/overpay for the Mavs? This is why you dont overvalue 1st round picks.

Both Kyrie and PJ trades were D grade trades according to ESPN. These D-graders are sure doing heavy work right now. ESPN has a lot of "competent" people over there.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 146

Post#2844 » by Astaluego » Sat May 11, 2024 11:28 pm

Petergrifindor wrote:
advent11 wrote:Mavs needs Luka to be in his usual form to advance further. .

He is not going to be.

This is what Mavs have this year. They have to deal with it.

unfortunately I think you're right...I'm hoping to finish this at 5 (really not realistic) and have Wolves/Denver go to 7 and get some extra rest...anyway Luka with a week off, too scary, he is able to manage to gain 10 more pounds
Old Mike Lorenzo
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 803

Post#2845 » by madskillz8 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:28 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
DrModesty wrote:I think a big part of it is that OKC is not actually in a rush. The plan was always to let this group make the playoffs and see how they and Daignault cope, then use the information to make properly informed decisions. It just happened faster than anticipated, and with a higher seeding than anticipated.

I'd be annoyed if the situation is the same 2 years from now, when Dub and Chet have turned in to real 2nd and 3rd offensive options. As of right now they are closer to 3rd and 4th offensive options with extremely well rounded games.

They have so many draft picks they could miss on half of them and still end up with a dynasty. But Presti seems to love drafting rookies and collecting draft picks more than making trades when it could help them.

Looking at their upcoming FR picks, I think their advantage is overblown.

Of course they are always good to have but while they have lots of picks (Quantity), most of them look like they would be 20+ at this point (Quality). I know things might change quickly with some injuries or so, but it is very likely that any of these 2025-26-27-28 picks would be in lottery unless Ballmer finally decides going full tank without having their own FRPs... Therefore, they either need to trade them soon for future flexibility or need to give up their rookies prematurely to accommodate these ten upcoming 20+ picks...
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,214

Post#2846 » by theFireBlanket » Sat May 11, 2024 11:29 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:OKC ain't cooked. Game 4/5 left.

A lot of people called them a weak #1 and that they had no adversity in the first round against Pelicans without Zion. Adversity has arrived now, they will need to win 3 out of 4 games and one has to be in Dallas.

They lost by 4 points today, seems quite within reach.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
madskillz8
Senior

Post#2847 » by madskillz8 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:32 pm

Archx wrote:

Both Kyrie and PJ trades were D grade trades according to ESPN. These D-graders are sure doing heavy work right now. ESPN has a lot of "competent" people over there.

So are we taking ESPN comments as benchmark now? AFAIR both Washington and Charlotte roasted big time for these mid-season trades, not Dallas.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,241

Post#2848 » by Archx » Sat May 11, 2024 11:34 pm

madskillz8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

So are we taking ESPN comments as benchmark now? AFAIR both Washington and Charlotte roasted big time for these mid-season trades, not Dallas.

I'm not, that's why i made a sarcastic comment about ESPN and their "competent" people.
RingoKid
Junior
And1: 62

Post#2849 » by RingoKid » Sat May 11, 2024 11:34 pm

DrModesty wrote:I wouldn't mind Steven Adams back on the Thunder as a guy you use specifically when you are getting hammered on the glass. Absolutely elite rebounder, moves the ball, former fan favorite and he is very good at not clogging the paint with his 'dark arts' maneuvering of opposing players to give players excellent driving lanes. We have seen it with Westbrook, Zion and Ja.

Ya ain't sayin nuthin slick to an oilcan!
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#2850 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 11, 2024 11:37 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
theFireBlanket wrote:OKC ain't cooked. Game 4/5 left.

A lot of people called them a weak #1 and that they had no adversity in the first round against Pelicans without Zion. Adversity has arrived now, they will need to win 3 out of 4 games and one has to be in Dallas.

They lost by 4 points today, seems quite within reach.

They haven't shown they can out-execute Dallas in a close game yet. They'll get their chance.
madskillz8
Senior

Post#2851 » by madskillz8 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:37 pm

Archx wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

I'm not, that's why i made a sarcastic comment about ESPN and their "competent" people.

Next time I should finish reading a post before reacting it. :lol:
BrianInPhilly
Senior
And1: 809

Post#2852 » by BrianInPhilly » Sat May 11, 2024 11:39 pm

There's trade offs with everything. OKC's style suits them - would be silly to add a traditional big like Adams to play rotational minutes. Their rebounding will improve once Chet just grows/gets stronger in a year or 2, and they can add a versatile 2-3-4 guy like Josh Hart, John Collins, etc etc. (Not saying those guys specifically, but a forward who rebounds well to slot w/ Jalen Williams). They need a guy that fits their style.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,006

Post#2853 » by ForeverTFC » Sat May 11, 2024 11:40 pm

Anyone else think Daigneault out-thought himself this game? Why start Giddey if you already benched him last game? Why hack Lively when Dallas wasn't shooting it all that well and you were struggling so much in the half court and could benefit from fast breaks?
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#2854 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 11, 2024 11:43 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:Anyone else think Daigneault out-thought himself this game? Why start Giddey if you already benched him last game? Why hack Lively when Dallas wasn't shooting it all that well and you were struggling so much in the half court and could benefit from fast breaks?

I'm not in his head but I think the goal was to get Kidd to do what he did briefly for the rest of the game, bench both centers so they can eat at the rim and outrebound Dallas. Luckily Kidd changed his mind and only stuck with going small for one possession.

I'm sorta glad Maxi Kleber was hurt because I guarantee Kidd would have played him the rest of the game and benched Lively and Gafford like he did in a game against the Clippers to where Harden got to eat at the rim, and the Clippers won that game because of that.
zshawn10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,602

Post#2855 » by zshawn10 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:44 pm

Pj Washington now has more 26+ point games than Tatum does this playoffs
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#2856 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 11, 2024 11:44 pm

zshawn10 wrote:Pj Washington now has more 26+ point games than Tatum does this playoffs

PJ is the MJ of Tatums? :lol:
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,006

Post#2857 » by ForeverTFC » Sat May 11, 2024 11:45 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:Anyone else think Daigneault out-thought himself this game? Why start Giddey if you already benched him last game? Why hack Lively when Dallas wasn't shooting it all that well and you were struggling so much in the half court and could benefit from fast breaks?

I'm not in his head but I think the goal was to get Kidd to do what he did briefly for the rest of the game, bench both centers so they can eat at the rim and outrebound Dallas. Luckily Kidd changed his mind and only stuck with going small for one possession.

I'm sorta glad Maxi Kleber was hurt because I guarantee Kidd would have played him the rest of the game and benched Lively and Gafford like he did in a game against the Clippers to where Harden got to eat at the rim, and the Clippers won that game because of that.

Yeah, he was trying to bait Kidd into going small. But after Kidd didn't budge, he just kept doing it. OKC's offense was so stagnant at the end of the 4th and I think hack-a-Lively didn't let them get any rhythm. I think Mavs went +2 in the 3.5 minutes he was employing the strategy.

Also kudos to Kidd for trusting in his schemes and what got them here.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,987

Post#2858 » by zeebneeb » Sat May 11, 2024 11:45 pm

zshawn10 wrote:Pj Washington now has more 26+ point games than Tatum does this playoffs
That says a bunch about both players.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,595

Post#2859 » by baldur » Sat May 11, 2024 11:50 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

PJ is the MJ of Tatums? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BrianInPhilly
Senior
And1: 809

Post#2860 » by BrianInPhilly » Sat May 11, 2024 11:57 pm

The hack-a-Lively was silly. The Mavs were not even scoring that great, so why do that? Plus it eliminates transition / FB points pretty much.

Return to The General Board