2024 NBA Draft Lottery Thread (Sunday 5/12 3pm ET on ABC)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

New_Hawks_Era
Junior
And1: 240

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery Thread (Sunday 5/12 3pm ET on ABC) 

Post#321 » by New_Hawks_Era » Mon May 13, 2024 1:18 am

ChuckChilly wrote:Will have to do some research, but not seeing how Sarr is better than Capella or Okongwu considering his weaknesses. Im thankful, but what a bad year to get a number 1 pick.

Its also kind of crazy how the Hawks went from being a "terrible team that doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs" to being "too good" to receive the number pick 1.

Not really, 2 things can be true
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,066

Post#322 » by vxmike » Mon May 13, 2024 1:19 am

shrink wrote:
Dominator83 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Absolutely **** ridiculous. The lottery has to change.

**** the league, and Silver right in the ASS.

Stop tanking

That’s the thing! The Pistons WEREN’T tanking!

They were honestly bad, and the franchise and fanbase that most needed a top pick.

The Pistons have been picking in the lottery for years. You can’t help a team with a terrible FO. They don’t draft well, don’t make good FA signings, don’t make good trades (Joe Harris!), and don’t develop youth particularly well.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,114

Post#323 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 13, 2024 1:26 am

If I’m Detroit I would be relieved to not have a top pick. No one is really a tier above anyone else in this draft in the top 15 if you ask me.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,070

Post#324 » by jfs1000d » Mon May 13, 2024 1:26 am

azcatz11 wrote:
SportsGuru08 wrote:The Hawks getting the No. 1 pick is definitely a surprise. Detroit not getting any help with the No. 5

There’s very little difference between 1-10 this year. I would guess Atlanta is going to try to move back.

Rarely do teams move back. They’d just trade out of spot for a player.

I just feel like there aren’t any No. 1 pick this year.

All the players would be fine 4 and on. But someone has to go in the top 3. I think this a year where a random older player taken in the teens wins Rookie fo the Year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,070

Post#325 » by jfs1000d » Mon May 13, 2024 1:29 am

SportsGuru08 wrote:The Hawks getting the No. 1 pick is definitely a surprise. Detroit not getting any help with the No. 5

A surprise? It’s 3% chance.

Would you get on a plane with a 3% chance of it crashing? No. Why? Because 3 times out of 100 is not an impossible outcome.

ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,736

Post#326 » by ChuckChilly » Mon May 13, 2024 1:29 am

New_Hawks_Era wrote:
ChuckChilly wrote:Will have to do some research, but not seeing how Sarr is better than Capella or Okongwu considering his weaknesses. Im thankful, but what a bad year to get a number 1 pick.

Its also kind of crazy how the Hawks went from being a "terrible team that doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs" to being "too good" to receive the number pick 1.

Only teams that don't make the playoffs can get in the lottery though (without trades). Without being in the lottery, you can't get the number 1 pick. If you can't make the playoffs, you need a better roster, considering over half the league gets in.
New_Hawks_Era
Junior

Post#327 » by New_Hawks_Era » Mon May 13, 2024 1:34 am

jfs1000d wrote:

A surprise? It’s 3% chance.

Would you get on a plane with a 3% chance of it crashing? No. Why? Because 3 times out of 100 is not an impossible outcome.

In this scenario you have it backwards, the Hawks won the lottery so it would be a 3 out of 100 scenario that the plane lands. So yes it would be absolutely shocking. I know if I got on a plane and they said their was a 97% chance that we die and it didn't happen. I would be incredibly happy and surprised
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,927

Post#328 » by Slacktard » Mon May 13, 2024 1:35 am

Shame the #10 team didn't win the lotto last year. Would have been fun reading all the rigged/conspiracy threads.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,115

Post#329 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon May 13, 2024 1:38 am

baldur wrote:
Memories wrote:
Napoleon7 wrote:NBA definitely had its fingerprints all over this lottery. None of the 4 worse teams made it into the top 4 picks…HMMM…

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

With this draft class? Doubt it. NBA couldn't care less this year. So the results actually feel genuine lol.

Last year however is a different story. Of all the teams, of course the Spurs get gifted another generational talent.

Don't worry about conspiracy theorists. They can't be convinced otherwise even the opposite of what they claim occurs every single year.

New York knicks pretty much dropped in the lottery every year yet nba is rigged. Lol.

the other owners actively hate Dolan and want him to sell the franchise. Have you not been paying attention? If the Knicks had an owner the league liked they'd be getting gifted high picks and FAs would be choosing to go there.
New_Hawks_Era
Junior

Post#330 » by New_Hawks_Era » Mon May 13, 2024 1:41 am

ChuckChilly wrote:
New_Hawks_Era wrote:

Only teams that don't make the playoffs can get in the lottery though (without trades). Without being in the lottery, you can't get the number 1 pick. If you can't make the playoffs, you need a better roster, considering over half the league gets in.

I don't argue that point but don't you think the hawks were an although roster flawed really injury prone team last year? It was pretty bad, and I believe terrible isn't a good description of this team. Mediocrity lives here and no. No one in the NBA in any faction of fans/GMs/Ownership of any kind would tell you the Hawks are a deserved Number 1 pick level team.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,728

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery Thread (Sunday 5/12 3pm ET) 

Post#331 » by 165bows » Mon May 13, 2024 1:43 am

srhcan wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:Couldn't find a specific thread on this, which is not surprising given it's been labeled a weak draft with no clear consensus #1 prospect.

It's kind of flown under the radar though and in fact the lottery is happening today in just over 5 hours!

Pick odds: https://tankathon.com/pick_odds

Spurs getting 2 top 10 picks? That will be wild

Kudos let me know what the lottery numbers will be coming up.
Sikk_Handlez
Sophomore
And1: 112

Post#332 » by Sikk_Handlez » Mon May 13, 2024 1:54 am

BDM22 wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
Oh please, don't give us this crap. The Pistons have gotten screwed more than every other team outside of that one time in the Cade draft going back decades so we have a reason to complain.

Knicks have been screwed more. You just got the #1 a few years ago

I'm pretty sure no team has ever dropped to 5th from 1st and Pistons have now done it in back-to-back years. So....

I think Celtics had 2nd worst record in 06-07, tanking for Durant, but ended up with the #5 pick (Jeff Green). Luckily Ainge is a wizard and managed to turn it all into KG and Ray Allen and you know the rest
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,847
Location: On the Dallas bandwagon for the rest of the '24 playoffs

Post#333 » by -Sammy- » Mon May 13, 2024 2:07 am

I sure love the position we're in, though I feel bad for Rap Nation.

If our FO doesn't jack this up, we're in a hell of a good spot.
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,736

Post#334 » by ChuckChilly » Mon May 13, 2024 2:10 am

New_Hawks_Era wrote:
ChuckChilly wrote:
New_Hawks_Era wrote:Not really, 2 things can be true

I don't argue that point but don't you think the hawks were an although roster flawed really injury prone team last year? It was pretty bad, and I believe terrible isn't a good description of this team. Mediocrity lives here and no. No one in the NBA in any faction of fans/GMs/Ownership of any kind would tell you the Hawks are a deserved Number 1 pick level team.

I thought the Hawks were a 5 - 7 seed type team when healthy, but as the season went on, we kept losing games we should have easily won. After about February I didn't think we were a playoff caliber team. It does suck that we got the pick over a team that is completely deprived of talent, but I could argue that we need it more because some of the bottom of the barrel teams were blatantly tanking, while we got our record with our front office trying to win every game.
Wargreymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,589

Post#335 » by Wargreymon » Mon May 13, 2024 2:23 am

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,938

Post#336 » by RookieStar » Mon May 13, 2024 2:42 am

Spurs just did a reverse Magic draft.

Spurs got a #1 pick for their franchise player first then got 2 top 10 picks, 4 & 8( dunno who yet )via TOR trade the next year

Magic got 2 top 10 picks 5 & 8 (suggs and franz) via CHI trade first, then got a #1 pick for their franchise player next year.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,722

Post#337 » by shi-woo » Mon May 13, 2024 2:53 am

I love how fans come in here and just concede that their teams/NBA management have no idea what they are doing. People act like All NBA players and all stars aren't drafted in non top 5 picks every single year. If your team doesn't have the ability to scout properly than that's on them, making it easy by praying for a #1 pick or doing what most of you do and saying the draft is trash doesn't change that.

Right now in the playoffs you are watching teams led by Brunson (33rd pick) Haliburton (12) Pascal (27) Donovan (13) Jokic (41) Gobert (27) SGA (11) and you could go on and on.

The 4x DPoY was drafted 27
The 3x MVP 41
2x MVP Giannis 15
2x MVP Curry was drafted 7th

7 of the last Championships have been won by teams whose best players where not considered stars, and had meteoric rises. Jimmy Butler was drafted 30th and dragged his team to 2 finals.

Just admit you have no faith in your teams GM to find talent, stop saying the players are trash.

What if Holland turns into a Paul George/Butler type player?
Knecht turns into Klay?
Sarr into Porzingus?
Collier into Brunson?
Castle into Smart?
Clingan Gobert?

Yall have no idea, that's what makes following the nba and draft so fun. We get to see what these kids are made of once they get to the big show.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,377

Post#338 » by YogurtProducer » Mon May 13, 2024 3:02 am

ItsDanger wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Some teams are just bad and need talent. The current system isn't working for teams picking out of top few spots. Who gives a **** if some teams tank?

The league, the fans of the team, the media that has to cover the team, and the players that have to play on those teams.

There’s a reason they’re trying to abolish it.

That's BS played up by media. There should be incentive by league to improve bad teams quickly as possible so they aren't at the bottom for so long that hurts fan interest in the long run. The tanking narrative from a business perspective presented on boards like this are completely from a self centered viewpoint.

You’re simply wrong.

If you were right, there wouldn’t be a lottery.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,416

Post#339 » by ItsDanger » Mon May 13, 2024 3:07 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:The league, the fans of the team, the media that has to cover the team, and the players that have to play on those teams.

There’s a reason they’re trying to abolish it.

That's BS played up by media. There should be incentive by league to improve bad teams quickly as possible so they aren't at the bottom for so long that hurts fan interest in the long run. The tanking narrative from a business perspective presented on boards like this are completely from a self centered viewpoint.

You’re simply wrong.

If you were right, there wouldn’t be a lottery.

I stated to adjust the odds again, not abolish it. I don't agree with 46 win teams having a chance at 1st. Teams are floundering at the bottom repeatedly for many reasons. But this is one of them.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#340 » by Rainwater » Mon May 13, 2024 3:16 am

The hawks should really think of rebuilding at this point. They have been mediocre for a while now. Trae is due for a big contract but doesn’t seem like the guy that can get them over the hump. Why spend the money? Whoever they draft will not help immediately. They should just trade Trae and Murray for a haul of picks and start the rebuild process.

Return to The General Board