2024 NBA Draft Lottery Thread (Sunday 5/12 3pm ET on ABC)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,169

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Lottery Thread (Sunday 5/12 3pm ET on ABC) 

Post#381 » by DelAbbot » Tue May 14, 2024 4:35 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Gotta go to the Raps forum after this. Should be good comedy.

You can just talk to me if you wanna feel our misery lol

The comedy is from the Raptor homers defending the Poeltl trade
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,169

Post#382 » by DelAbbot » Tue May 14, 2024 4:38 am

G R E Y wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Yes. Tear it all down and go for a full rebuild.

Signed - Spurs fans everywhere

lol I am assuming one of the spots that Trae may land is in SA where the Hawks will be seeking their picks back from the Murray trade.

All of them and more. Nope lol

Do Spurs fans want to pair Trae with Wemby? There are much better options than Trae at the same salary.

I don't get it.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,532

Post#383 » by Tor_Raps » Tue May 14, 2024 4:52 am

DelAbbot wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Gotta go to the Raps forum after this. Should be good comedy.

You can just talk to me if you wanna feel our misery lol

The comedy is from the Raptor homers defending the Poeltl trade

I feel like if those people were fans of the Wizards, they'd still be raving about how everything their management has done is good lol.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,381

Post#384 » by G R E Y » Tue May 14, 2024 6:00 am

DelAbbot wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
lol I am assuming one of the spots that Trae may land is in SA where the Hawks will be seeking their picks back from the Murray trade.

All of them and more. Nope lol

Do Spurs fans want to pair Trae with Wemby? There are much better options than Trae at the same salary.

I don't get it.

No. That was about us having unprotected 2025 and 2027 Hawks picks. So if they were to rebuild fully sending Trae else other than to us, we'd have all the higher chance at higher lotto picks.

They would of course want to engage with us to get their picks back plus more given Trae is a bigger player than Murray for whom we got the picks to begin with, but it's not happening.

Agree we don't need the salary and asset drain and they could be better used.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Handlez
Junior
And1: 654

Post#385 » by Handlez » Tue May 14, 2024 11:09 am

Reed Sheppard may be for real.

43 inch vertical. Highest at the combine.

I knew he was one of the best shooters in the world, but didn't know he was that athletic.

Spurs need to get him.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#386 » by NDaATL » Tue May 14, 2024 1:47 pm

Rainwater wrote:
NDaATL wrote:
Rainwater wrote:The hawks should really think of rebuilding at this point. They have been mediocre for a while now. Trae is due for a big contract but doesn’t seem like the guy that can get them over the hump. Why spend the money? Whoever they draft will not help immediately. They should just trade Trae and Murray for a haul of picks and start the rebuild process.

Why would we tank and do a complete rebuild though? We don't own our own pick for the next 3 years. There is zero incentive to lose games right now.

We should trade one of Trae or Murray. But definitely not both.

I just don't understand how getting the #1 pick means we should rebuild. Draft Sarr and see what happens. Trae with Sarr PNR as a lob threat would be insane.

We also have a lot of trade pieces currently and there are lots of other things we could do.

We also had a ton of injuries this year. With better health and a better fit after a Trae or Murray trade, plus Sarr plus JJ's improvement we could easily be a 3/4 seed next year with lots of potential.

I really see a deal with SA where they get their picks back for Trae. And I really don’t think whoever the Hawks draft they will be doing much for the next couple of years. The Hawks have been stuck in mediocrity for a while now and unless they can pick up a superstar it is just time to move on and rebuild.

I just feel like everyone (except Hawks fans) are seeing the limitations of the team.

Totally your opinion and that's cool. I don't think the Hawks are as far away as you do, Murray is a great player he's just a bad fit. You can't have 2 PGs unless one of them is huge. We never built the right team around Trae, never added defense/length/shooting around him.

Sarr will take a few years but he is a great prospect. The dude literally just turned 19 two weeks ago. He's 7'1" with a 37" vert, and and can already take the ball coast to coast. At a very minimum he will be a great lob threat and defensive big. He can easily beef up 20-30 pounds in a few years. Trae Young makes life so easy for athletic bigs as he's such a great passer. Sarr would probably get 4 dunks a game on Trae setups.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,553

Post#387 » by dms269 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:43 pm

Rainwater wrote:I just feel like everyone (except Hawks fans) are seeing the limitations of the team.

Hawk fans are well aware of the limitations of the team. We know that moves that have been made aren't in the bets interest. We also know our owner and what he is likely (and not likely) to do. Ressler is not an owner that is willing to enter into a multi-year rebuild. That won't make him money and that is mainly all he cares about.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 15,089

Post#388 » by ForeverTFC » Tue May 14, 2024 5:16 pm

Russillo said a team told him the choice at #1 in this draft is between Derek Lively and Tobias Harris.

Tobias is catching a lot of strays these days.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,695

Post#389 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 14, 2024 5:19 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:Russillo said a team told him the choice at #1 in this draft is between Derek Lively and Tobias Harris.

Tobias is catching a lot of strays these days.

2020 and 2022 were called bad drafts as well and we have so many good players from both. They do this crap every f'n year if there isn't a guaranteed all-star at the top.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Ball4life32
Analyst
And1: 2,507

Post#390 » by Ball4life32 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:43 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
donkki wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:Realistically what can a #1 draft pick fetch for Atlanta?
Trade wise

#4 and #8, but they might need to sweeten the deal with a future pick or a player.

This would pair Wemby with a countryman Sarr, creating a new 2024 version of the twin towers, and Atlanta can jump start their rebuild with two lottery picks.

Id rather have 4 and 8 than 1. I like Sarr but I dont see allstar.

I’d rather keep 1 for Atlanta.
swyftdahoe
Senior
And1: 536

Post#391 » by swyftdahoe » Tue May 14, 2024 7:32 pm

Handlez wrote:Reed Sheppard may be for real.

I knew he was one of the best shooters in the world, but didn't know he was that athletic.

Spurs need to get him.

Would you take him at 4? Probably won't be available at 8.
Handlez
Junior
And1: 654

Post#392 » by Handlez » Tue May 14, 2024 9:44 pm

swyftdahoe wrote:

Spurs need to get him.

Absolutely.

That pick and roll with Wemby would be really good.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,695

Post#393 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 14, 2024 9:51 pm

Handlez wrote:
swyftdahoe wrote:

Spurs need to get him.

Absolutely.

That pick and roll with Wemby would be really good.

Sheppard isn't even a point guard. He's a combo guard. He will have to play the point due to his size and there's no guarantee that he will be functionally good enough to excel there (ie ball handling). Dillingham and Wagner did more ball handling than he did.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,024

Post#394 » by bb22 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:07 pm

I understand that international stars are running the NBA, and it’s a wake draft, but the guys projected to be drafted high in this draft are not it.

Return to The General Board