Kyrie doing Kyrie things

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,538

Re: Kyrie doing Kyrie things 

Post#41 » by Pelly24 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:11 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:You can basically pencil in Kyrie as 25+ppg and flirting with 50/40/90 every season. His TS% would be ridiculous if he ever started to bait for fouls. Which is the thing I find most enjoyable about his game, he doesnt foul hunt, he just contorts himself and uses crazy english for amazing finishes.

Dallas for sure is a team to watch out for in the playoffs. They got 2 straight up unguardable guys in Luke and Kyrie. They also dont have to rely on a Maxi/Powell rotation at the 5. Now they have Gafford and Lively taking up minutes at the 5.

That is a team that you dont want to face in the playoffs this year.

I know why the NBA wrote the rulebook the way they did. It really does make offensive explosions easy which is what fans want according to the data. But one they missed is fans greatly prefer watching players get points the way Kyrie does then the endless foul baiting.

Yup. It also kills any argument of, "these guys are just so skilled, defenders have to foul because they get beat." Kyrie is as skilled as they come and the dude has a FTr of just .190 so far this season.

And thats the funny thing about Kyrie, I think the best part about his game is probably the biggest negative about his game when it comes to advanced stats. What does Kyrie's numbers look like if he's getting 7-9 FTs per game, instead of just 3? He probably goes from a 25ppg guy with a TS% around 59-60, to a 30ppg guy with a TS% in the mid 60s. Im sure that would give him a nice boost in some of these metrics.

Just from an impact standpoint he should probably play like that. But ya as a fan, I love that he doesnt.

Yeah with all that considered, I think if there was a "shotmaking" stat — as in, it just measures the amount of shots you make any given night — Kyrie might be the league leader. He makes so many buckets. I wish he told himself "Ok, I'm going to get 5 free throw attempts every single game no matter what" so he could average like 6 or 7 attempts game. Even that would push his average to like 28-29 ppg on 63-64 TS% instead of the 27 on 61 or so he's generally at. Especially for the playoffs. But despite that, the impact stats that don't do cumulative numbers actually have him as a top 12 player this year. In the all-around rankings for that stuff, he was top 15 last year and generally ranks around there dating back to 2018. Just an amazing versatile, scalable scorer who doesn't turn the ball over or make a lot of mistakes and is a better defender and much smarter player than people realize. I just want him to make it to and through the playoffs. I know for certain no team can stop Luka, but Kyrie can be at least kind of held down. But with a well-rounded team and Luka to take the main defensive assignments, the worst Kyrie would do I think is like 22/5/5 on decent efficiency for a bad series, and he could explode in others, and that's good enough for Luka and this team. Can't wait to see how things play out.
turnaroundJ
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#42 » by turnaroundJ » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:24 am

Pelly24 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
I know why the NBA wrote the rulebook the way they did. It really does make offensive explosions easy which is what fans want according to the data. But one they missed is fans greatly prefer watching players get points the way Kyrie does then the endless foul baiting.

Yup. It also kills any argument of, "these guys are just so skilled, defenders have to foul because they get beat." Kyrie is as skilled as they come and the dude has a FTr of just .190 so far this season.

And thats the funny thing about Kyrie, I think the best part about his game is probably the biggest negative about his game when it comes to advanced stats. What does Kyrie's numbers look like if he's getting 7-9 FTs per game, instead of just 3? He probably goes from a 25ppg guy with a TS% around 59-60, to a 30ppg guy with a TS% in the mid 60s. Im sure that would give him a nice boost in some of these metrics.

Just from an impact standpoint he should probably play like that. But ya as a fan, I love that he doesnt.

Yeah with all that considered, I think if there was a "shotmaking" stat — as in, it just measures the amount of shots you make any given night — Kyrie might be the league leader. He makes so many buckets. I wish he told himself "Ok, I'm going to get 5 free throw attempts every single game no matter what" so he could average like 6 or 7 attempts game. Even that would push his average to like 28-29 ppg on 63-64 TS% instead of the 27 on 61 or so he's generally at. Especially for the playoffs. But despite that, the impact stats that don't do cumulative numbers actually have him as a top 12 player this year. In the all-around rankings for that stuff, he was top 15 last year and generally ranks around there dating back to 2018. Just an amazing versatile, scalable scorer who doesn't turn the ball over or make a lot of mistakes and is a better defender and much smarter player than people realize. I just want him to make it to and through the playoffs. I know for certain no team can stop Luka, but Kyrie can be at least kind of held down. But with a well-rounded team and Luka to take the main defensive assignments, the worst Kyrie would do I think is like 22/5/5 on decent efficiency for a bad series, and he could explode in others, and that's good enough for Luka and this team. Can't wait to see how things play out.

i think this is all why kyrie has been so effective in the playoffs (except that bucks series...). it's that kobe type of scoring wherein they may not be the most efficient, but it doesn't matter whether it's against regular season or playoff defenses. i also think that kyrie is absolutely a better fit than brunson for luka's game - just like how he was a perfect fit for lebron.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,550

Post#43 » by dygaction » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:12 pm

Most recent highlights of 2024, master piece of attacking basket and amazing passing
;ab_channel=GoldenHoops
Optms
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#44 » by Optms » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:15 pm

I remember when they tried to cancel him. Now he's out there balling.
Yuri36
Starter
And1: 1,543

Post#45 » by Yuri36 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:35 pm

mademan wrote:
Read on Twitter

I actually believe in the Mavs if they can stay healthy. Think they got a shot against anyone

Even more so in POs.
Facing possibly the two clutchiest players in the league along with Dame in POs is something absolutely no one will want to.
Yuri36
Starter
And1: 1,543

Post#46 » by Yuri36 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:37 pm

boogiezen wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:
Potential wrote:Kyrie is underrated right now. Dallas has a chance against any team in a 7 game series because of him and Luka

The thing that's a game-changer is now they have a legit big man and wing rotation. Gafford is a walking efficient double double and lob threat. Lively is already a good defender and lob threat and smart passer. And then PJ Washington has been great on defense so far and he should get his chances to get buckets. The Mavs were missing so many loose balls and rebounds and just size in general. That won't be a problem now, and they've still got Kleber to space the floor and he can play alongside either of them.

THJ can also just go off and be a floating 2nd or 3rd type of option if one of Luka or Kyrie are off. Just a pretty well-rounded team now, especially if Exum can get healthy

Jason Kidd is still the coach.

I'd rather say it's Luka with Kyrie as his assistant coach.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Pelly24 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:23 pm

dygaction wrote:Most recent highlights of 2024, master piece of attacking basket and amazing passing
;ab_channel=GoldenHoops

An underrated part of Kyrie this year is that it's his 13th season yet he's moving so well. He seems as athletic as ever with the open court speed, shiftiness. Stronger than ever maybe. That alley pop dunk was by far the best of his career, up a good 36-38 inches in the air with perfect timing, caught the ball way behind the backboard for a tomahawk. Probably the lone good part of missing so many games, but also probably a sign of strong biomechanics and maintenance to maintain this level of explosion and agility this far into his career.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,351

Post#48 » by picc » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:24 pm

The big question for the the Mavs is just "if they stay healthy". They are a full roster away from potentially upsetting their way to a title, and one injury away from potentially a first round exit.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#49 » by dygaction » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:21 pm

Pelly24 wrote:
dygaction wrote:Most recent highlights of 2024, master piece of attacking basket and amazing passing
;ab_channel=GoldenHoops

An underrated part of Kyrie this year is that it's his 13th season yet he's moving so well. He seems as athletic as ever with the open court speed, shiftiness. Stronger than ever maybe. That alley pop dunk was by far the best of his career, up a good 36-38 inches in the air with perfect timing, caught the ball way behind the backboard for a tomahawk. Probably the lone good part of missing so many games, but also probably a sign of strong biomechanics and maintenance to maintain this level of explosion and agility this far into his career.

He is having a 25/5/5 season shooting highly efficient 49/41/88. Hope he can get the call he deserves, so many times the refs just let the defenders hack on him and watch his acrobatic plays. Maybe they were enjoying the show and forgot the whistles. No way he should get 3.7 fta. He is #16 in scoring but #59 in fta.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Pelly24 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:52 pm

dygaction wrote:
Pelly24 wrote:
;ab_channel=GoldenHoops

He is having a 25/5/5 season shooting highly efficient 49/41/88. Hope he can get the call he deserves, so many times the refs just let the defenders hack on him and watch his acrobatic plays. Maybe they were enjoying the show and forgot the whistles. No way he should get 3.7 fta. He is #16 in scoring but #59 in fta.

Would love for him to get to 6 free throws a game through straight rule manipulation. He has these kind of lags at times where if his shot isn't falling he also won't get to the line too much to compensate. Will maybe get there like 6 times, but he should try to get +10 times more often in situations like that. Slow the game down and get the foul call.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,351

Post#51 » by picc » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:54 pm

I get what you guys are saying. But personally I'm very okay with Kyrie not foul whoring and just playing the game of basketball.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 997

Post#52 » by agentofatlas » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:00 pm

Hopefully he stays healthy all the way through the end of the season.

The dude is just playing really well. He and Luka are so in sync right now.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#53 » by dygaction » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:04 am

picc wrote:I get what you guys are saying. But personally I'm very okay with Kyrie not foul whoring and just playing the game of basketball.

Don’t want him to change his play at all. This is pure basketball with the intention to put the ball in the hoop.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#54 » by dygaction » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:18 pm

Wenban walked to Kyrie and told him this was a lucky shot afterwards :lol:

MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,614

Post#55 » by MavsDirk41 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:02 am

If Kyrie is healthy the rest of the season the Mavs can be dangerous
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,420

Post#56 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:05 am

Duke4life831 wrote:You can basically pencil in Kyrie as 25+ppg and flirting with 50/40/90 every season. His TS% would be ridiculous if he ever started to bait for fouls. Which is the thing I find most enjoyable about his game, he doesnt foul hunt, he just contorts himself and uses crazy english for amazing finishes.

Dallas for sure is a team to watch out for in the playoffs. They got 2 straight up unguardable guys in Luke and Kyrie. They also dont have to rely on a Maxi/Powell rotation at the 5. Now they have Gafford and Lively taking up minutes at the 5.

That is a team that you dont want to face in the playoffs this year.

He's so crafty and creative he could be an insane foul drawer, probably. It's almost like he's too good to bother.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#57 » by MTJazzv3 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:40 am

Mamba Mentality wrote:I understand that baggage he comes with, but for the trade market to completely dry up for a 1-of-1 ultra skilled player made no sense to me. I'm still bummed the Lakers weren't able to work something out despite the mutual interest, was lowkey hoping for things to fall apart in Dallas by the trade deadline.

Jordan Clarkson does this as well - just not at the peak level of Kyrie. And waaaay cheaper. We're watching a lot of former superstars right now whose games actually don't translate that well with team basketball, but because of reputation, somehow get ink.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,246

Post#58 » by GopherIt! » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:03 am

When I read ‘Kyrie doing Kyrie things’ I thought this was going to be him doing a press conference discussing a conspiracy theory, something like:

‘Ancient Aliens landed space ships on top of the pyramids and warned the Egyptians about the coming of a corona-virus plague and the CIA obtained records of a secret meeting between Bob Marley and JFK discussing this very matter.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,420

Post#59 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:55 am

MTJazzv3 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:I understand that baggage he comes with, but for the trade market to completely dry up for a 1-of-1 ultra skilled player made no sense to me. I'm still bummed the Lakers weren't able to work something out despite the mutual interest, was lowkey hoping for things to fall apart in Dallas by the trade deadline.

Jordan Clarkson does this as well - just not at the peak level of Kyrie. And waaaay cheaper. We're watching a lot of former superstars right now whose games actually don't translate that well with team basketball, but because of reputation, somehow get ink.

Clarkson is shooting below 50% from 2, below 30% from three, and isn't a big foul draw guy either. He gives you a lot of points per minute, but the question then is: do you want them?

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,918

Post#60 » by Dirk » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:44 pm

Spoiler:
What does he have to do to get a whistle?
60/21/10

Return to The General Board