If Ant plays like this, the Wolves is going to beat Nuggets

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,972

Re: If Ant plays like this, the Wolves is going to beat Nuggets 

Post#41 » by One_and_Done » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:19 pm

tsherkin wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:I hope so. I am sick of the Jokic overrating.

What in the world is this about?

No one is overrating him; he's remarkable.

He's a great player. He's not a GOAT level one.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,884

Post#42 » by jkvonny » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:28 pm

tsherkin wrote:

Agreed.

Weird take from that guy. lol
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,694

Post#43 » by mademan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:31 pm

IF the Wolves beat the Nuggets, the narrative on Denver will change overnight. Its gonna be wild and hilarious to see them go from possibly dynastic, Jokic on GOAT path to overrated and "who did they really beat last year?"

Hot takes are gonna be great
Ssj16
Senior
And1: 603

Post#44 » by Ssj16 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:31 pm

jkvonny wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Agreed.

Weird take from that guy. lol

Jokic is statistically putting up GOAT numbers in the last 3-4 year span but proceeds to say he's not on the same level in a vacuum as the all time greats.

I wish I understood this train of thought myself as well.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Post#45 » by Cubbies2120 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:33 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Peak? Absolutely is - Look at his 4 year peak and compare it to other ATG 4 year peaks...
Career? Not yet, but he's got (likely) 3 MVPs, and possibly 2 rings before the age of 30
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,768

Post#46 » by ropjhk » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:35 pm

It's always exciting to witness a new superstar being created in the forge of the NBA playoffs. ANT is fun to watch and for whatever happens next I'll just enjoy the ride.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,997

Post#47 » by Froob » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:37 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:

Jokic may be a lot of things but the one thing he isn't is overrated

There’s a thread on here about him being better than LeBron and better than any player post Jordan.

He’s an all time great player but, can we slow down a tad bit?

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#48 » by Shaka_Zulu » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:38 pm

mademan wrote:IF the Wolves beat the Nuggets, the narrative on Denver will change overnight. Its gonna be wild and hilarious to see them go from possibly dynastic, Jokic on GOAT path to overrated and "who did they really beat last year?"

Hot takes are gonna be great

There will be allways haters. But they are well executing well built squad, that's 80% winning because of Jokic. I'm a Wolves fan but we ain't winning them if they healthy, tho will give them hell of a fight.

But if Murray is done for calf injury, should win them, too short handed, even if vs wolves usually MPjr has been more dangerous then Murray.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,539

Post#49 » by Ambrose » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:39 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:If Murray is healthy, like, 44/38/88 healthy, Wolves are getting smoked.

Otherwise they'll lose. Suns are god awful and I think people are overrating the **** out of the Wolves.

Minnesota lost in five to Denver (with multiple close games), despite Jaden McDaniels and Naz Reid being out, Kyle Anderson going down half way through the series, and Denver having a much deeper bench. It should be a competitive series.

Denver had a historically shallow bench last season, so that part is not accurate. Only eight guys played more than 20 mins for them all last postseason. Nine guys have already played more than 30 mins this year for them in four games.

With that said, I think the Wolves are in a great position to beat Denver this year.
IamBBAnalysis
Rookie
And1: 524

Post#50 » by IamBBAnalysis » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:41 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:

Jokic may be a lot of things but the one thing he isn't is overrated

I'm going to assume the poster is talking about goat talk. There is talk like that, which should not happen so early in someone's career except to say 'could be if...'. Jokic is the current best player but that is very recent. Until this year there was strong debate with Gianni's, Embid, even Doncic.
And greatest is a lot more than #'s. It's hitting big shots, overcoming obstacles, beating the best head to head, etc. so far Jokic is missing some of those. A title run where he has adversity and beats the other best teams would go a long way. And then being consistently the best player. Lebron and Jordan for example were really always considered the best player in their league during their primes.

So, if you say Jokic is incredible, best passing center, most skilled overall, and the current best player then you're right, he's not overrated. If you go beyond that, he might be overrated.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,178

Post#51 » by tsherkin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:43 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Based on what? All the other guys in league history who have played as well as has he, won multiple MVPs and a title?

What's the criteria which, in your mind, is holding him out of that conversation and makes you "sick of the Jokic overrating?"
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,539

Post#52 » by Ambrose » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:45 pm

tsherkin wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Based on what? All the other guys in league history who have played as well as has he, won multiple MVPs and a title?

What's the criteria which, in your mind, is holding him out of that conversation and makes you "sick of the Jokic overrating?"

He still lives in 2022 and thinks any team with a good PG will PNR Jokic to death or something, ignoring that now he doesn't play with 3 bench warmers starting.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,772

Post#53 » by Ice Man » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:46 pm

Ant and Murray each entered the playoffs with similar shooting efficiency. So far in the playoffs Ant has improved to superstar level, at 65%, while Murray has dropped off the cliff, to G League level, at 44%. So yeah, I agree. If Ant continues to be much better than he was, and Murray continues to be godawful, Minnesota will beat Denver.

That is not what I bet would happen, but sure it could.
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,520

Post#54 » by Wigginstime » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:47 pm

Ant put up 32ppg on 60%TS against the Nuggets last year - I expect a similar level of production

There are three things that will decide this series
1. KAT - was atrocious last year and has to play better
2. Murray - Minnesota has to slow him down
3. MPJ - He torched the wolves in all 3 games in 2024 and all playoff games in 2023.

Those 3 players will decide the series imo
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,106

Post#55 » by BelgradeNugget » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:05 pm

IamBBAnalysis wrote:And greatest is a lot more than #'s. It's hitting big shots, overcoming obstacles, beating the best head to head, etc. so far Jokic is missing some of those. A title run where he has adversity and beats the other best teams would go a long way. And then being consistently the best player. Lebron and Jordan for example were really always considered the best player in their league during their primes.

It's hitting big shots - hitting series ending shot against Utah in the bubble, multiple big shots against Lakers with shot for victory in game 4...I'm not even counting regular season game winning shots

overcoming obstacles - like winning series after being down 3-1 2x in the same playoffs. No other team did this. They won 4 playoff series after comming from behind. Leading his team to 6th seed without Murray and MPJ. Winning playoff series without starting backcourt Murray/Barton with Campazzo/Rivers starting

beating the best head to head - last season he went through all-nba defensive centers Gobert, AD and Bam.

A title run where he has adversity and beats the other best teams - they beat the best teams last season, only there were not adversity because they were dominant

And then being consistently the best player. - 2 MVPs and 1 finals MVP in 3 seasons

But I don't think he is close to Jordan, LeBron, Steph, KAJ, Bird, Magic... because it takes more than 1 ring to join that company
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,137

Post#56 » by Exp0sed » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:10 pm

well, duh..
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,967

Post#57 » by Anticon » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:14 pm

What a series it will be. Can't imagine how crazy it would be for Wolves fans if they can make the conference finals and then have a decent shot from there...
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,972

Post#58 » by One_and_Done » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 pm

tsherkin wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

He just isn't as impactful. I don't care much for advanced stats, so you can forget invoking them, I'm about observable impact on winning. The guy above is right in saying that he was recently considered on par with Giannis, Luka, etc, and that only flipped last year. Last year when the overall quality of contenders was down for various reasons, and when Jokic didn't have to play the one thing that has historically been seen as his weakness; high PnR heavy teams who can kill him in space. I want to see.him beat some of those teams before I go too crazy. Last year was somewhat of a down year compared to recent ones.

This year the Nuggets have progressed from 53 wins to 57, but are far from an outlier team historically. The talent is more spread across the league, he's not playing the likes of the 2017 Warriors here. Jokic also isn't subverting expectations with his impact either. He has a great team around him, and on paper he should be leading one of the best teams. This isn't Duncan or Hakeem carry jobs here, nor are the Nuggets having epic regular seasons. Last year the match ups in the playoffs were absurdly favourable to them.

I like the guy. I see him as more of a Giannis level player. Probably already top 20 all-time, better than guys like Kobe or Wade, but in no position to be compared to the likes of Shaq, Duncan, etc, and certainly not Lebron.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,528

Post#59 » by vulture » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:18 pm

To me i would put Gordon to guard Ant in important moments. He’s the best ISO defender right there with OG.
The nuggets will have to raise their level if they wanna win this series but it will go 6-7 games.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,137

Post#60 » by Exp0sed » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:23 pm

Anticon wrote:What a series it will be. Can't imagine how crazy it would be for Wolves fans if they can make the conference finals and then have a decent shot from there...

it would be incredible, i'd imagine pretty similar to how Nuggets fans felt about last year's run :)
I expect as they go deeper we'll see some familiar faces making the trip and sitting courtside, KG for one whose already got an ongoing bromance with ANT

it's extra cool because much like Denver who finally got there and did it with a homegrown core, which makes it sweeter. Minny's two best players are also homegrown, they've actually been through alot of turmoil and mostly disappointment since selecting KAT 1st overall, when they paired him with another #1

gonna be wild in Minnesota the deeper they'll get

p.s, I'd imagine that even if somehow they say..get to the finals and lose to the C's - the franchise and city will all be very pleased and proud about that. obviously not the same as a ring but def not nothing, for a franchise that has been as abysmal as the Wolves

Return to The General Board