Lakers fire Darvin Ham

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,569

Re: Lakers fire Darvin Ham 

Post#41 » by PistolPeteJR » Fri May 3, 2024 6:34 pm

Tyrone Messby wrote::oops:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
Tyrone Messby wrote:
Oh so you agree it’s ADs team and LeBron is just the sidekick?

Are you implying that if you call someone out, you must be the #1 option?

The #1 option typically calls the shots and considering this is going to be the 9TH coach of LeBron’s career, I think it’s safe to assume he got another one fired.

The #1 option absolutely calls many shots. Calling someone out does not mean that that person is also THE guy calling most if not all of the shots.

As for 9th coach of LeBron's career, given the first 5 was during his first stint in Cleveland playing for one of the worst FOs and coaching staffs a star/superstar has had in history, and given that that was prior to "lEgM", please, try again.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,079

Post#42 » by AleksandarN » Fri May 3, 2024 6:35 pm

How many coaches has LeGm fired now? I lost track
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,884

Post#43 » by EmpireFalls » Fri May 3, 2024 6:37 pm

I will die laughing if they hire Redick next.

Ham had some good ideas man, dumb in game decisions sure but that team was not really badly coached I thought. Hard to wonder if there is a coach who can actually make them a contender if he couldn’t.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 9,022

Post#44 » by meekrab » Fri May 3, 2024 6:38 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:Kinda crazy firing a coach that won an in season tournament. Guess no one is safe these days.

:lol:
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 381

Post#45 » by reddyplayerone » Fri May 3, 2024 6:41 pm

When the lynch mob comes for whoever the new guy will be by Christmas I will be laughing
nbanflguy
Sophomore
And1: 355

Post#46 » by nbanflguy » Fri May 3, 2024 6:42 pm

Who in their right mind would willingly sign up to be Lebron's coach at this stage of his career?
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 381

Post#47 » by reddyplayerone » Fri May 3, 2024 6:47 pm

xchange55 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
Loneshot wrote:He had some really questionable lineups. Though the Lakers overachieved still.

Benching Reaves and DLo for 15+ games during the season is the exact moment he lost the locker room.

But when Reaves and DLO aren't playing well you'll blame them for the losses. Can't have it both ways.

And yet this is what fans do.

Can't be the players fault they're playing bad.

Can't be the front office's fault for getting the players who are playing bad.

Gotta be the coach!

Hopefully they hire someone who will tell D'Lo and Austin and Rui to not suck ever.
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,606

Post#48 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:48 pm

3 Coaches in like 5 years...at what point does management begin wondering if its the team and not the coach?

Or the fact that no coach has lasted more than 3 years since Phil Jackson....might be a philosophy/organizational problem at that point
C3H6N6O6
Analyst
And1: 3,919

Post#49 » by C3H6N6O6 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:50 pm

It is all luck. This year's Lakers team was better than last year's.
Lakers could have been the 8th seed and probably get to the WCF like last year but would have still lost to Nuggets in 5 in WCF but that would have resulted in Ham not losing his job.

A better coach probably pushes the Nuggets series to 6 games but that is it. Lakers weren't going to win that series.

If Lakers are going to try to be a real contender by trading picks then instead of trading for a star they should trade for two 3 and D role players.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 20,485

Post#50 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri May 3, 2024 6:51 pm

Good riddance. Dude preached accountability from day one, but never held himself accountable. He was also too slow to adjust and the players lost trust in him. There was no way you could bring him back.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,347

Post#51 » by amcoolio » Fri May 3, 2024 6:51 pm

I'm pretty sure Ham chose the Lakers over the Hornets and when that happened I said "Big mistake by Ham, he'll just be fired by LeBron, there isn't a coach in the entire world that can win with this Lakers team"

Lakers probably offered more than cheap MJ though
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,409

Post#52 » by Capn'O » Fri May 3, 2024 6:53 pm

Nate505 wrote:So who's the next sacrificial lamb to coach the Lakers.

Wouldn't he technically be a sacrificial Ham?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,621

Post#53 » by Tor_Raps » Fri May 3, 2024 6:56 pm

Stupid firing... he wasn't the reason why the Lakers didn't do better. Lakers exceeded expectations last year by going to the conference finals and could have done the same thing if they didn't match up with Denver in the 1st round this year. Your best player is 39, you have 0 perimeter defense, Dlo should never be a teams 3rd option, etc.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,609

Post#54 » by jokeboy86 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:58 pm

Since Phil left Lakers management has been a s*** show and Jeannie cant just blame her brother anymore. This is the same owner who hired Magic like he had some great proven record running a team and hired Pelinka literally cause he was Kobe’s best friend. I guarantee you if Ham/Vogel had been ex Lakers she would have given them longer leashes.

And now she’s holding on to Lebron for dear life because she’s deathly afraid that if he’s not with the Lakers organization they’ll become irrelevant and she’ll become a joke. At this point it wouldnt surprise me if she drafts Bronny or even promised Lebron some small ownership or FO/consultant position just to keep him involved with the Lakers post retirement.

As a Yankees fan the Lakers are really starting to give me 80s Yankees vibes. The problem is Jeannie has grown up thinking(and its all she knows)the Lakers competing for a title every year should be a birthright.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#55 » by kenwood3333 » Fri May 3, 2024 6:59 pm

Surprise he got fired before Vogel, but then the Phx owner sounds like he lives in his own little world of success
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,380

Post#56 » by canada_dry » Fri May 3, 2024 7:01 pm

DaGawd wrote:go get mike dantoni
Lebron plays way too slow imo.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,077

Post#57 » by Curmudgeon » Fri May 3, 2024 7:02 pm

LeBron as player-coach. Russell did it and won 2 rings. Lennie Wilkins too.

It's a team with one star who is fragile, another who is 38. Whichever guy they hire will just be fired at the end of next year anyway, so why not?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
nbanflguy
Sophomore
And1: 355

Post#58 » by nbanflguy » Fri May 3, 2024 7:03 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:If history tells us anything id say Darvin will land on his feet. His next stop he will be allowed to coach basketball and not play babysitter

Paul Silas
Brendan Malone
Mike Brown
David Blatt
Luke Walton
Frank Vogel (soon to be fired again)

Aside from Mike Brown, history does not tell us that Ham will land on his feet.

Coaching Lebron, especially at this stage of his career, is a death sentence. You are not there to coach NBA basketball. You are there to be the public face of Lebron's failures.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,077

Post#59 » by Curmudgeon » Fri May 3, 2024 7:04 pm

nbanflguy wrote:Coaching Lebron, especially at this stage of his career, is a death sentence. You are not there to coach NBA basketball. You are there to be the public face of Lebron's failures.

That's why you make LeBron the coach.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,884

Post#60 » by EmpireFalls » Fri May 3, 2024 7:05 pm

amcoolio wrote:I'm pretty sure Ham chose the Lakers over the Hornets and when that happened I said "Big mistake by Ham, he'll just be fired by LeBron, there isn't a coach in the entire world that can win with this Lakers team"

Lakers probably offered more than cheap MJ though

Am I absolutely crazy for saying this but I genuinely would not mind Ham on the Hornets next year?

Return to The General Board