The eliminated stars. Who's the most disappointing?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Most disappointing

Poll ended at Sun May 5, 2024 4:21 am

Damian Lillard
2%
Joel Embiid
24%
Kawhi Leonard
21%
Paul George
7%
James Harden
5%
Kevin Durant
17%
Devin Booker
4%
Bradley Beal
10%
LeBron James
10%
Anthony Davis
2%

Total votes: 126

Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,298

Re: The eliminated stars. Who's the most disappointing? 

Post#41 » by Lalouie » Sat May 4, 2024 2:29 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Lalouie wrote:and btw, how is harden's exit "disappointing". what's DISAPPOINTING is gsw being pathetic and leaving with a whimper

Really, seriously?

Because the series was tied 2-2 and Harden ended the series with a 2/12 performance (1/7 from 3) and a 5/16 (0/6 from 3) performance. In Game 4, the whole team was useless around (Westbrook, Coffey and Powell especially) and they couldn't stop Dallas to save their lives but yeah, it was that "I'm going out with a whimper" bit which was super disappointing.

in and of itself maybe,,,BUT
every year the burden to prove himself in the playoffs is there.
every year the question rears it's ugly head.
every year harden is asked to show up in the playoffs.
and why,,,,because he never does.

what is it they say about insanity and expecting different results?

well for me, i expected more of the same, so harden HAS NOT disappointed me. so i guess i'm the sanest person here :D :D :D :D
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#42 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat May 4, 2024 2:34 pm

Lillard and Giannis going down so early.

The Lakers and Clippers doing exactly what they do every year is par for course, not disappointing.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,201

Post#43 » by HMFFL » Sat May 4, 2024 2:41 pm

Many of the Stars once use to be Superstars.

I believe the big three in Phoenix was a disappointment. Beal seemed like an obvious fail to many of us but the Suns can continue paying him $50m per season.

I'll toss some shade Zion's way. Hamstring injuries can be back, but the Pels had no chance without him, but he did have a good regular season.

Damian Lillard: Off year for but I have him as a third option and have had him as that for years. He finally leaves Portland to Milwaukee, but he brought his baggage, so I wish him the best on his divorce.

The off-season is going to be intriguing. Many of the "stars" can only make so much of an impact. It's time for many teams to move on from the stars talent they have.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,272

Post#44 » by tsherkin » Sat May 4, 2024 2:42 pm

Lalouie wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
Lalouie wrote:and btw, how is harden's exit "disappointing". what's DISAPPOINTING is gsw being pathetic and leaving with a whimper

Really, seriously?

Because the series was tied 2-2 and Harden ended the series with a 2/12 performance (1/7 from 3) and a 5/16 (0/6 from 3) performance. In Game 4, the whole team was useless around (Westbrook, Coffey and Powell especially) and they couldn't stop Dallas to save their lives but yeah, it was that "I'm going out with a whimper" bit which was super disappointing.

in and of itself maybe,,,BUT
every year the burden to prove himself in the playoffs is there.
every year the question rears it's ugly head.
every year harden is asked to show up in the playoffs.
and why,,,,because he never does.

what is it they say about insanity and expecting different results?

well for me, i expected more of the same, so harden HAS NOT disappointed me. so i guess i'm the sanest person here :D :D :D :D

Like I said, expectation and disappointment can go hand in hand, so the reference to endlessly doing the same thing and expecting a different result really isn't there. We all expected this to happen. I even have remarks about in one of the game chats or other billion threads about the same thing, right? But it's still disappointing to see talent fail, even if you basically know it's coming anyway. To me, anyhow.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,210

Post#45 » by BNM » Sat May 4, 2024 10:12 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Lillard and Giannis going down so early.

The Lakers and Clippers doing exactly what they do every year is par for course, not disappointing.

For Lillard, in this case I'd say he's the most disappointed eliminated star rather than the most disappointing star. He finally forced his way out of POR to team up with another all star for the first time since Aldridge left. It was the first time in his career that Dame was paired with anyone close to an MVP level teammate.

And then that teammate played zero minutes in the playoffs. MIL gave up some depth to get Dame, and with no Giannis, that lack of depth hurt them big time. Other than Game 1, when MIL's bench outscored IND's by 1 point (20-19). the Bucks' bench was massively abused by the Pacers' bench, including getting trounced 50 - 10 in the elimination game. Portis is a great 6th man, but with no Ginannis, he's forced to start, which hurts both their starting 5 and leaves their bench extremely thin. He was owned by Siakam in a way that would had never happened if MIL had a healthy Giannis. That match up went from heavily favoring MIL to heavily favoring IND.

Add in that Dame, at 33, is their third oldest starter and age is also a factor. Again Giannis helps mitigate that a lot, but no Giannis == not advancing.

It's not like Dame had a bad series (31.3 ppg on .640 TS%), but without Giannis, he simply didn't have enough help. With no Giannis, IND clearly had the better roster.

Return to The General Board