The Clippers are the first team to find themselves trapped in the "trade-picks-to-win" era.

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Re: The Clippers are the first team to find themselves trapped in the "trade-picks-to-win" era. 

Post#41 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun May 5, 2024 3:05 pm

Clemenza wrote:They're pick swaps but we do have our 1st rounders in '25,' 27, and '29. We would have to fall off a cliff and turn into a lottery team for OKC to truly benefit off those picks.

OKC will be picking in the late 20s so they will benefit regardless but uhh

I think it's... Extremely likely Harden and Kawhi fall off a cliff next year.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Re: The Clippers are the first team to find themselves trapped in the "trade-picks-to-win" era. 

Post#42 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun May 5, 2024 3:06 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:How are they 'stuck'? They can easily flip PG, Harden and Kawhi for a ton of assets and rebuild with an insane war chest.

Kawhi has no value and PG and Harden are free agents.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,566

Post#43 » by mtcan » Sun May 5, 2024 3:09 pm

Harden already has a reputation of disappearing in games when it matters. PG didn't help himself by disappearing in this past series and in years past. Both guys had a chance to take over while Kawhi was out...and neither did. Add to that...they are approaching the end of their prime.

How are these guys worth max money?

The Clippers will pay these guys because they have to...but max money from any other team that has championship aspirations for these guys is just a bad investment.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,220

Post#44 » by Capn'O » Sun May 5, 2024 3:14 pm

symbiotic wrote:I hope the Knicks don't ever do anything this stupid again.

Right? We were way out front on this trend. Know your history!
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,773

Post#45 » by KL2 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:15 pm

Mister Ze wrote:It’s crazy that Kawhi and his camp wanted PG acquired instead of just keeping SGA whose better than both this season.

It was Durant and then Butler before settling for PG.

20 other teams would have made the same move back then. But now and nothing to show for it? It’s easy to say it was really dumb.

Leonard, unfortunately, seems to share the same view as the organization about young talent. They don’t want to wait for development. They want the known product.

Not entirely sure how they fix the roster but I know what my first move would be. Fire Lawrence Frank and give a blank check to Bob Meyers. It’s the type of splashy move Ballmer would love going into the new arena.
UglyBugBall
Pro Prospect
And1: 755

Post#46 » by UglyBugBall » Sun May 5, 2024 3:24 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:How are they 'stuck'? They can easily flip PG, Harden and Kawhi for a ton of assets and rebuild with an insane war chest.

PG and harden will resign.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,539

Post#47 » by Pattycakes » Sun May 5, 2024 3:42 pm

These fake super teams trying to copy the heatles never work out. Even the wolves that traded their whole “future” for Gobert I still feel like are organic for drafting Kat and Ant themselves. All the vet products are cursed or something idk
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,084

Post#48 » by NZB2323 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:42 pm

If Kawhi is healthy they could do better.

Also, I was listening to a Ted Talk, and it said an NBA team with 2 stars is statistically more likely to succeed than a NBA team with 4 stars and talked about how important Shane Battier was to the Miami Heat.

Most NBA champions have been 2 stars and role players.
xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Post#49 » by xchange55 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:47 pm

NZB2323 wrote:If Kawhi is healthy they could do better.

Yeah it's kind of tough to knock the team when their top player is not healthy. He's not just a top player on the team, but league wide. Didn't LAC go on some amazing run this year with a healthy Harden/PG/Klaw/Russ? Something like 25-3 (too lazy to look it up)? Would say most of these guys are well past their prime, but if they are secondaries to Klaw, you got a decent team.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#50 » by Capn'O » Sun May 5, 2024 4:09 pm

Also, I was listening to a Ted Talk, and it said an NBA team with 2 stars is statistically more likely to succeed than a NBA team with 4 stars and talked about how important Shane Battier was to the Miami Heat.

That really checks with what I've seen. When you go over 2, fit is REALLY important. There's only so much more offensive power you can have with another hub vs a guy who can knock down 3s and the difference on defense can be massive.

Spurs, Celtics, Warriors had defensive anchors as one of the stars and the Heatles only really started dominating when Bosh agreed to be a super role player.
BAF Clippers

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#51 » by JDR720 » Sun May 5, 2024 4:10 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

PG and harden will resign.

Harden doesn't have any value either. An old James Harden making a max contract is a negative value if anything. Who's going to trade for him?

So you're down to PG13. And honestly, he just turned 34. So he probably doesn't that have much value either.

You aren't getting premium assets for old, declining and injury prone non All-NBA level players.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,366

Post#52 » by hippesthippo » Sun May 5, 2024 5:13 pm

Pick Swaps need to be included in the Stepien Rule. Flat out.

Teams want so badly to do stupid things that they found loopholes to get around a rule intended to prevent them from doing stupid things. :lol: :lol:
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,910

Post#53 » by SK21209 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:32 pm

They took a risk and it didn’t work out. They were probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the league in 2020 and probably better than either team that made the Finals in 2021. Those two years were their best shots and they choked one and got really unlucky with injuries in the other.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,227

Post#54 » by Lalouie » Sun May 5, 2024 5:34 pm

all lebron teams were inevitably faced with trade to win
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,190

Post#55 » by therealbig3 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:38 pm

This isn’t really a new situation. They’ll probably blow it up at a certain point and trade their stars for assets to replenish. Happens to everyone eventually. Yeah they’ll probably have to suffer being bad with limited assets for a bit, it is what it is.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,515

Post#56 » by og15 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:41 pm

Capn'O wrote:

That really checks with what I've seen. When you go over 2, fit is REALLY important. There's only so much more offensive power you can have with another hub vs a guy who can knock down 3s and the difference on defense can be massive.

Spurs, Celtics, Warriors had defensive anchors as one of the stars and the Heatles only really started dominating when Bosh agreed to be a super role player.

I also think that when teams start pairing 3+ stars, there's usually a reason they are about to, eg: age, injury.

If they are pairing healthy guys in their prime, eg: Celtics, Heat, Pistons, it works much better.

But yes, fit! We all know about diminishing returns. Teams have roles, if the star you add can't adjust to a different role, eg: become a lock down defender, go from scorer to being a primary playmaker, etc, it won't work.

Look at the Suns who got two SG's, but neither can be your primary perimeter defender and neither can play that PG/primary playmaker role, so it doesn't make sense anymore.

Clippers fit with Harden/George/Kawhi is actually quite good, Kawhi and George needed someone to be the primary playmaker. George and Harden needed someone to take the primary scoring role and give them easier matchups and less defensive pressure. But with Kawhi as the best player, everything hinged on him. You take KG off the Celtics and they aren't a contender. You take LeBron off Miami and they aren't a contender. The best player of the group has to be healthy unless it's not going to achieve the ultimate results.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#57 » by Capn'O » Sun May 5, 2024 7:13 pm

og15 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

I also think that when teams start pairing 3+ stars, there's usually a reason they are about to, eg: age, injury.

If they are pairing healthy guys in their prime, eg: Celtics, Heat, Pistons, it works much better.

But yes, fit! We all know about diminishing returns. Teams have roles, if the star you add can't adjust to a different role, eg: become a lock down defender, go from scorer to being a primary playmaker, etc, it won't work.

Look at the Suns who got two SG's, but neither can be your primary perimeter defender and neither can play that PG/primary playmaker role, so it doesn't make sense anymore.

Clippers fit with Harden/George/Kawhi is actually quite good, Kawhi and George needed someone to be the primary playmaker. George and Harden needed someone to take the primary scoring role and give them easier matchups and less defensive pressure. But with Kawhi as the best player, everything hinged on him. You take KG off the Celtics and they aren't a contender. You take LeBron off Miami and they aren't a contender. The best player of the group has to be healthy unless it's not going to achieve the ultimate results.

I agree. Clippers were always a high stakes gamble on Kawhi's health.

That said, someone like Jrue could have made a bigger impact on this year than Harden.
BAF Clippers

Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,421

Post#58 » by Black Jack » Mon May 6, 2024 12:13 am

Capn'O wrote:
symbiotic wrote:I hope the Knicks don't ever do anything this stupid again.

Right? We were way out front on this trend. Know your history!

Somewhere out there Dolan is in his hot tub watching old Kawhi / PG / Harden clips and dreaming of what might be possible 8-)
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,458

Post#59 » by zimpy27 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:17 am

Raps get Kawhi
Bucks get Jrue
Denver get Gordon

There is a trend of teams packaging for the perfect fit around homegrown stars and it working out. Seems like the best strategy in the NBA right now.

Going for best player regardless of fit seems to be where teams fail.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,220

Post#60 » by Mister Ze » Mon May 6, 2024 4:50 am

KL2 wrote:
Mister Ze wrote:It’s crazy that Kawhi and his camp wanted PG acquired instead of just keeping SGA whose better than both this season.

It was Durant and then Butler before settling for PG.

20 other teams would have made the same move back then. But now and nothing to show for it? It’s easy to say it was really dumb.

Leonard, unfortunately, seems to share the same view as the organization about young talent. They don’t want to wait for development. They want the known product.

Not entirely sure how they fix the roster but I know what my first move would be. Fire Lawrence Frank and give a blank check to Bob Meyers. It’s the type of splashy move Ballmer would love going into the new arena.

I disagree, many people at the time said the PG trade was bad. They gave up way too many picks with no/limited restrictions on top of SGA just to acquire Paul George coming off two straight first round exits with OKC. They caved in because they wanted Leonard so I don’t blame them as much as Leonard’s camp who reportedly demanded the Clippers acquire a second star.

Return to The General Board