Charlotte Hornets Hire Charles Lee as new Head Coach

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,189

Re: Charlotte Hornets Hire Charles Lee as new Head Coach 

Post#41 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 9, 2024 2:23 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Are you surprised? Lee is an objectively solid hire.

I am not sure how to word this any differently. I'm not surprised by the hire, but rather in the OP, the fact that he was the team's first choice. I am sorry, but there are better options. Now, as another poster stated, it's probable those better options would turn down the offer.

Who are those better options then smart guy?

I’d also say that given Lee’s prior experience with both Jeff Peterson and the ownership, and the implicit alignment they seem to have, that Lee might be the best coaching option for the Hornets in their current situation.

We aren’t in a win now scenario and won’t be for a few years. So hiring a young hungry coach is essential.

He is not a celebrity, therefor he is not good enough to be first choice, basically the reasoning

That said, I hope he has something on the court, so he can prove he is good, first time coaches are almost always brought with huge optimism, but we all know how most head coach fairy tales end... I bet it wont take long at least for some fans to call this guy an idiot.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,326

Post#42 » by Iwasawitness » Thu May 9, 2024 2:24 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Trey24 wrote:Yeah he has only succeeded everywhere he has been and has been in talks for almost every single head coach opening in the last several years and is young at 39..... tell us why he isn't a good target.

Again, not saying if he's a good or bad target. But to be your first choice? Do you not have higher aspirations?

For instance, with the Wolves, Lore and Rodriguez wanted to bring in Connelly to be the new president of basketball operations. Current owner, Taylor, asked them why are you wasting your time, a person like that will never come.

So who do you consider to be superior options who are currently available?
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,458

Post#43 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:24 pm

KembaWalker wrote:It’s a thread about our team of course we’re in here, it’s more comical that a wolves fan is in here making a fool of himself

Sorry, didn't notice I was commenting in the Charlotte Hornets board. :roll:

If you're going to post to the General Board, expect those from other fanbases to reply.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,791

Post#44 » by EmpireFalls » Thu May 9, 2024 2:25 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:Who are those better options then smart guy?

I’d also say that given Lee’s prior experience with both Jeff Peterson and the ownership, and the implicit alignment they seem to have, that Lee might be the best coaching option for the Hornets in their current situation.

We aren’t in a win now scenario and won’t be for a few years. So hiring a young hungry coach is essential.

Comical how all these Hornets fans are coming out of the woodwork regarding this.

The Hornets haven't been a win-now team since returning to Charlotte. Yet, the previous coaches (Clifford and Borrego) were relatively unknowns.

I'll add this. I highly doubt Charlotte had Lee as their first choice. It's more than likely PR. But if it wasn't, I cringe at knowing the remaining names on that list.

lol, you really are a clueless fool. Clifford was a “relative unknown”… despite being the former head coach in Charlotte. Yes he was a very “unknown” coach to hire. Pathetic.

I see what you’re doing, just trying to get a rise out of us. You have no clue what you’re talking about, whatsoever, which is why you haven’t named the other coaches available.

2/10. Poor trolling and poor manners. At least be funny next time.

Personal attacks are not allowed. Disagree with the post as strongly as you'd like but don't insult the poster. Even when he's being super annoying. Thx. -b
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,821

Post#45 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 9, 2024 2:26 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:Who’s a better candidate than Lee? Bud maybe, pretty sure he’s said he isn’t interested in building anything up. A podcaster or Darvin Ham? :lol:

There's a difference in hiring Lee and having him as your first choice. That was simply my point. Clearly, Hornets fans are riled up this morning.

Ayo fam humble yourself. Acting like you haven't been in our position before smh.

You was blessed with Ant with the #1 pick.

Now we were blessed with Miller with the #2 pick.

Let this play out.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#46 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:29 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:So who do you consider to be superior options who are currently available?

Not sure why it matters, but yes, Bud is clearly a better choice.

Again, as I've previously stated, he may not even want the job. But he should certainly be above Lee on said list. Or are all of these Charlotte fans going to tell me next that the list only had attainable coaches on it? At that, I say where's the ambition.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,179

Post#47 » by Celts17Pride » Thu May 9, 2024 2:32 pm

The Charlotte Hornets just got a lot better.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,821

Post#48 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 9, 2024 2:32 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Lakers also wanted him.

Well, if that's the criteria...

You are Twolves fan. You should be in a happy positive mood. What's with all the hate this morning?

Go take a walk in the park man. Your team is on the verge of sweeping the defending champs. Better things to do then troll Hornets fans.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#49 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:35 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Go take a walk in the park man. Your team is on the verge of sweeping the defending champs. Better things to do then troll Hornets fans.

If I was trolling, I would be saying how bad of a hire it is. I have said no such thing. My comment, which has since ruffled Charlotte fans' feathers, was about him being the team's first choice.

A walk does sound nice.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,722

Post#50 » by Infinite Llamas » Thu May 9, 2024 2:35 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

I am not sure how to word this any differently. I'm not surprised by the hire, but rather in the OP, the fact that he was the team's first choice. I am sorry, but there are better options. Now, as another poster stated, it's probable those better options would turn down the offer.

Wolves fans probably thought there were better options than Chris Finch too…
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Baseline81
Starter

Post#51 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:36 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:Wolves fans probably thought there were better options than Chris Finch too…

Actually, I would have taken about anyone at that point just to get out from Ryan Saunders. The team had no direction under him.

I will say, though, Rosas had interviewed Finch prior to going with Saunders. So you can see why he went back to that well post-Saunders.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,711

Post#52 » by yosemiteben » Thu May 9, 2024 2:42 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

I am not asking if you were surprised by the hire.

I am asking if you are surprised that Hornets fans react negatively when you are in here dumping on their hire.
kivancb
Junior
And1: 415

Post#53 » by kivancb » Thu May 9, 2024 2:42 pm

He'll finish the season with Boston, and then join Charlotte, right?

RIGHT??
Swish77
Junior
And1: 86

Post#54 » by Swish77 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:43 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
Swish77 wrote:He got a 4 year deal. How many years will he last in Charlotte? I'll give him 2 years lol

This is a silly comment. It's new ownership, so things could change, but the previous two Hornets coaches both lasted beyond their initial contract. In fact the last two full-time Hornets coaches both signed extensions.

Haters have plenty of ammo with the Hornets, at least pick something real. :roll:

People said the same thing about the Panthers they have fired how many HC's and FO's since new ownership took over? Its not a silly comment its a proven fact. New Ownership wants to win and they have deep pockets to do so. I'm not dogging the Hornets ID like to see them do well. No hard feelings here. Hornets fan base deserve a winning team.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#55 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:44 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I am not asking if you were surprised by the hire.

I am asking if you are surprised that Hornets fans react negatively when you are in here dumping on their hire.

Please tell me where I've dumped on Lee?
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,707

Post#56 » by shi-woo » Thu May 9, 2024 2:45 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Go take a walk in the park man. Your team is on the verge of sweeping the defending champs. Better things to do then troll Hornets fans.

If I was trolling, I would be saying how bad of a hire it is. I have said no such thing. My comment, which has since ruffled Charlotte fans' feathers, was about him being the team's first choice.

A walk does sound nice.

You are trolling though, because you still haven't given us this long list of guys better and more capable that they passed up on.

Who are the more distinguished #1 choices out there right now?

And Bud isn't really an option considering this dude seems to be his main protege, and he also comes with his faults that teams might not want to deal with right off the rip
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,329

Post#57 » by KembaWalker » Thu May 9, 2024 2:47 pm

Bud himself probably told Charlotte that Lee was a better option for them than him
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,711

Post#58 » by yosemiteben » Thu May 9, 2024 2:47 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:I am not asking if you were surprised by the hire.

Please tell me where I've dumped on Lee?

You have stated, or at least implied, that he can't reasonably be viewed as a first choice for our franchise and that he is not as "good" as other options that were available.

I would think that for virtually any team, responding to a head coach announcement by saying the team had better options and the guy was clearly a compromise for them would be met with negative reactions.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,791

Post#59 » by EmpireFalls » Thu May 9, 2024 2:48 pm

Swish77 wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:
Swish77 wrote:He got a 4 year deal. How many years will he last in Charlotte? I'll give him 2 years lol

This is a silly comment. It's new ownership, so things could change, but the previous two Hornets coaches both lasted beyond their initial contract. In fact the last two full-time Hornets coaches both signed extensions.

Haters have plenty of ammo with the Hornets, at least pick something real. :roll:

People said the same thing about the Panthers they have fired how many HC's and FO's since new ownership took over? Its not a silly comment its a proven fact. New Ownership wants to win and they have deep pockets to do so. I'm not dogging the Hornets ID like to see them do well. No hard feelings here. Hornets fan base deserve a winning team.

Let's hope our new owners are a little better than David Tepper :D
Baseline81
Starter

Post#60 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:49 pm

shi-woo wrote:You are trolling though, because you still haven't given us this long list of guys better and more capable that they passed up on.

Who are the more distinguished #1 choices out there right now?

And Bud isn't really an option considering this dude seems to be his main protege, and he also comes with his faults that teams might not want to deal with right off the rip

From the underline, you don't know if he is or isn't. Are you telling me he wouldn't be ahead of Lee on this supposed list?

Return to The General Board