Paul Pierce says SGA would've won MVP if they had more nationally televised games

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

IG2
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,988

Re: Paul Pierce says SGA would've won MVP if they had more nationally televised games 

Post#41 » by IG2 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:15 pm

Black athletes collectively losing their sh it over the fact that a slow, white European player has been the league's best player for years now is so cringe. It's bad enough that these guys rarely every display the slightest clue about stats and the league's history. They have to be racist on top of it too. Shame on them.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,121

Re: Paul Pierce says SGA would've won MVP if they had more nationally televised games 

Post#42 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 6:21 pm

Gotta have Mavs/Thunder Christmas Day game next year.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,872

Post#43 » by jkvonny » Sun May 12, 2024 6:30 pm

IG2 wrote:Black AMERICAN athletes collectively losing their sh it over the fact that a slow, white European player has been the league's best player for years now is so cringe. It's bad enough that these guys rarely every display the slightest clue about stats and the league's history. They have to be racist on top of it too. Shame on them.

Usually this.

Black European/Foreign athletes don't whine about this (Dikembe, Hakeem, Duncan, Luol Deng, Boris Diaw, Tony Parker (mixed race), Joakim Noah (mixed race) , Thabo Sefalosha (mixed race) etc
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,661

Post#44 » by Chuck Everett » Sun May 12, 2024 6:37 pm

These guys are just engagement farmers. And some seem to fall for it every time. Stop giving them clicks.

I love Jokic. I could have gone either way with him or SGA. Both were deserving IMO. Luka was a worthy 3rd, who also could have won. Non-Americans are dominating the first team All-NBA lately and that's a fact. Homegrown guys just gotta get better. It's not narrative that has these dudes (Giannis included) wrecking the league.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,648

Post#45 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sun May 12, 2024 6:59 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:To be fair to PP and Shaq.

SGA would have won MVPs in their era. Using some of the standards of that era he would have won. The goalposts have shifted a lot recently. There’s a much heavier emphasis on advanced stats (as well as better, more accurate advanced stats) rather than just who’s the best player on the #1 seed or the player with the best narrative

the selection process wasn't that basic at the time either.
Слава Украине!
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,648

Post#46 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sun May 12, 2024 7:02 pm

Chokic wrote:
JRoy wrote:Disagree.

He was never the best player in the league.

Mvp was never about tbe best player in the league otherwise mj kobe embiid lebron and shaq would have more mvps.

if it was about the best player Kobe would have had zero MVPs
Слава Украине!
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,170

Post#47 » by HMFFL » Sun May 12, 2024 8:06 pm

Former players are more concerned about international talent taking over. There's an agenda here but most fail to realize it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 755

Post#48 » by Charlesareed » Sun May 12, 2024 8:18 pm

SportsGuru08 wrote:Somehow playing in a small market didn't stop Karl Malone from winning a MVP award he probably didn't deserve.

That mvp was brought by blood money MJ was robbed big time didn’t matter he ended up winning fmvp
Chicago Raised me
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,496

Post#49 » by D.Brasco » Sun May 12, 2024 8:23 pm

IG2 wrote:Black athletes collectively losing their sh it over the fact that a slow, white European player has been the league's best player for years now is so cringe. It's bad enough that these guys rarely every display the slightest clue about stats and the league's history. They have to be racist on top of it too. Shame on them.

As Kendrick put it

Bird went through it, Nash went through it, Dirk went through it, it is what it is at this point.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,596

Post#50 » by Tha Cynic » Sun May 12, 2024 8:44 pm

It's not surprising they gave Jokic the MVP in the year when the top three players are all very obvious international players. This was probably because they knew if it wasn't for the American bias, he would have 3 MVPs already.

He probably deserved the MVP when Embiid won and Shai deserved it more this year.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,642

Post#51 » by dygaction » Sun May 12, 2024 8:44 pm

For sure, the popularity vote is a big concern and you cannot expect all 99 voters all can afford to buy league pass or have time to watch non-televised games.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,485

Post#52 » by Black Jack » Sun May 12, 2024 8:51 pm

IG2 wrote:Black athletes collectively losing their sh it over the fact that a slow, white European player has been the league's best player for years now is so cringe. It's bad enough that these guys rarely every display the slightest clue about stats and the league's history. They have to be racist on top of it too. Shame on them.

I'm black and I don't think SGA should be MVP

Anyway we got Anthony Edwards coming up now so relax yt :lol:
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Black Jack
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by Black Jack » Sun May 12, 2024 8:53 pm

D.Brasco wrote:

As Kendrick put it

Bird went through it, Nash went through it, Dirk went through it, it is what it is at this point.

Bird got absolutely respected by Black players, just stop it.

Dirk never got doubted too much?

Nash WAS overrated and 2 MVPs was affirmative action. His first MVP with 15ppg was a joke.

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,958

Post#54 » by Jasen777 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:11 pm

Black Jack wrote:Dirk never got doubted too much?

Nash WAS overrated and 2 MVPs was affirmative action. His first MVP with 15ppg was a joke.

Dirk was doubted a lot before the ring.

I didn't agree with either of Nash's MVPs but he obviously didn't get them for his PPG.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,170

Post#55 » by HMFFL » Sun May 12, 2024 9:19 pm

I think the norm is that the league was dominated by black Americans and that has changed. Many media personnel never evolved as the league changed and that's their problem.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Black Jack
Assistant Coach

Post#56 » by Black Jack » Sun May 12, 2024 9:24 pm

Jasen777 wrote:

I didn't agree with either of Nash's MVPs but he obviously didn't get them for his PPG.

Dirk got heat for winning mvp then losingnin the first round. He played soft for a player ofnhis caliber and got deserved heat for it, he was not a victim of any racial bias.

I am fine with pointing out when black people are being provincial, maybe in the case of Jokic. I do think Jokic being a second rounder and seemingly coming out of nowhere is a factor too.

But black players / fans outside of the Bad Boy Pistons who were rivals always gave Bird mega props because he was hard nosed and a great player.

Nas was great but got some extra accolades for being white. My opinion. I liked his game, saw him live, no disrespect. Nice guy too.

BmanInBigD
Sixth Man
And1: 633

Post#57 » by BmanInBigD » Sun May 12, 2024 9:25 pm

Jasen777 wrote:

Yeah, Dirk was crucified for being a soft white boy before 2011 despite being an absolute beast and warrior in the PS except for ONE series that had at least the trifecta of bad things working against him. And even then, he wasn’t nearly as bad as he was made out to be. Thankfully, there weren’t nearly as many ignorant talking heads back then or I might have shot my tv. :lol:
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 626

Post#58 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Sun May 12, 2024 10:51 pm

I think the NBA is somewhat having an identity crisis where they don't have that next dominate American player coming off of a title/MVP who also wants to play the media game/be highly marketable. Theres a possibility Jokic might win another title and be already back in Serbia when they come in the locker room for the celebration.

The feeling is the top non-American athletes have more of the Tim Duncan/Kawhi Leonard type of approach to playing basketball/doing media/marketing stuff for the league. Maybe excpetion is Luka & Embiid but I don't see which of the top international stars will have the weekly media circus following them like Bron/Mike/Kobe. The league needs to adapt, these are the top stars in the league, no getting around it.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,496

Post#59 » by D.Brasco » Sun May 12, 2024 11:21 pm

KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:I think the NBA is somewhat having an identity crisis where they don't have that next dominate American player coming off of a title/MVP who also wants to play the media game/be highly marketable. Theres a possibility Jokic might win another title and be already back in Serbia when they come in the locker room for the celebration.

The feeling is the top non-American athletes have more of the Tim Duncan/Kawhi Leonard type of approach to playing basketball/doing media/marketing stuff for the league. Maybe excpetion is Luka & Embiid but I don't see which of the top international stars will have the weekly media circus following them like Bron/Mike/Kobe. The league needs to adapt, these are the top stars in the league, no getting around it.

They are positioning Ant as much as possible to be that guy. Right or wrong with LeBron in the final years of his career, they feel there needs to be an american superstar to be the face of the league and they need that pronto.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Post#60 » by Cubbies2120 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:28 pm

jkvonny wrote:
IG2 wrote:Black AMERICAN athletes collectively losing their sh it over the fact that a slow, white European player has been the league's best player for years now is so cringe. It's bad enough that these guys rarely every display the slightest clue about stats and the league's history. They have to be racist on top of it too. Shame on them.

Usually this.

Black European/Foreign athletes don't whine about this (Dikembe, Hakeem, Duncan, Luol Deng, Boris Diaw, Tony Parker (mixed race), Joakim Noah (mixed race) , Thabo Sefalosha (mixed race) etc

100% this. Take a look at who is complaining about the award going to the slow, white European - it's the "brothas" with the history of wild antics and illicit behaviors. Shaq is a known bully, PP goes on live TV drunk, Arenas brings guns to the arena. These are not people who have the intellectual capacity to take a deep dive into the numbers and quiet frankly none of them know how to truly make their teams better. They put up unreal numbers, but they weren't someone who could make role players like KCP, MPJ, AG, or Murray play at their highest level by being a coach on the floor. I remember a few weeks ago I was listening to (thankfully, a Youtube Short) the Arenas podcast with McCants and surprisingly McCants of all people was the most level-headed while the reset (Kenyon Martin, Arenas, Jennings) were talking about how SGA should be MVP because, essentially, he had "the deepest bag". Like, what? Since when is basketball won by having the prettiest crossover or jumpshot? Then to make it worse, they constantly crap on the journalists and coaches who "didn't play the game" because apparently you need to be in the NBA to have a valid opinion. :lol:

No thanks, give me intelligent takes from guys who maybe weren't blessed with the genetics to play basketball but would embarrass most NBA players when discussing X's and O's, lineup combinations, deep dives into numbers, etc.

Return to The General Board