Best possible return for Karl Anthony-Towns?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

louc1970
Senior
And1: 192

Re: Best possible return for Karl Anthony-Towns? 

Post#41 » by louc1970 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:40 pm

DrModesty wrote:The Magic make sense as a trading partner. They have picks, they have young players, and they have a strong need for spacing and offensive fire power.

Not sure on the exact package to send back to the T-Wolves. Maybe something like Wendell Carter Jr, Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, #18, 2025 DEN 1st? Very quarters for a dollar for the T-Wolves, however the monetary savings are vast and you get picks and cost controlled young players that fit the Edwards timeline.

I doubt Suggs or Wagner is on the table.

I don't see that working. Towns and Banchero play the same spot. And if you are taking Wagner off the table, there is very little Wolves would want back.
Centers are of little value with Gobert there. It would have to include Wagner and Anthony.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,558

Post#42 » by AbeVigodaLive » Mon May 13, 2024 4:43 pm

louc1970 wrote:
doogie_hauser wrote:Knicks have the cap space and assets to get a deal done..

Not sure if he is the type of personality Thibs likes though.

That is exactly what i was thinking.

Ummmm. There is A LOT of well-documented history with Thibs and Towns.

I mean... with Thibs being the Timberwolves coach and all not that long ago.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,171

Post#43 » by Lockdown504090 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:45 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:Town for Trae can improve both franchises

Trae would create a point of attack of opposing teams to exploit which would be a massive crack in their defense come playoff time. I guess if you're looking long term, you take ANT and Trae and try and just out gun people...but I don't like that for the next 2-3 years at all.

I think Trae is better than people think in the right scheme. I saw better effort at times and the numbers even show he’s gone from clearly the worst I’ve seen in my life, to just bad and a liability. Teams will obviously go at him, but I think teams deliberately going at towns is almost as damaging. He also would have 4 great not good defenders around him. just isn’t as intelligent of a player as Trae. You can even see in the wins that towns isn’t reading the game. He’s just going off a few cookie cutter scenarios they practice: simple stuff . Teams have taken advantage of that every time he’s made the playoffs.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,354

Post#44 » by shrink » Mon May 13, 2024 4:46 pm

I don’t think Towns is going to be traded, but if you are going to make trades, keep in mind where MIN is at.

They are win now, and they are deep. Trades that try to match overall trade value by focusing on multiple players and picks is not the direction Tim Connelly is going to value. Contention is too rare a thing in Minnesota to chuck KAT for rebuilding packages,or a lot of “good” players that are battling for minutes.

What do the Wolves need? Depending on ownership, they would like to get cheaper. And they need similar consolidated talent, like another star. However, to be a better fit than Towns, he’d need to be a replacement PF (or maybe young PG), he needs an inside and outside game to free up Ant inside and outside, he needs to have no ego to let Ant thrive, and not take the ball out of his hands, and he needs to want to be in Minnesota. That’s a rare player - Towns might be the only fit.
shrink
RealGM

Post#45 » by shrink » Mon May 13, 2024 4:50 pm

The problems with Trae for the Wolves is that this is Ant’s team. Trae takes the ball out of his hands, and playmaking is the next place Ant will continue to develop. The Wolves have a defensive culture, and Trae is statistically one of the worst defenders in the NBA for several years now. He doesn’t make the team significantly cheaper. And does he even want to be in Minnesota, giving up the spotlight to Edwards? MIN can’t afford to trade for a guy that will leave at the first opportunity.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,013

Post#46 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:54 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:Town for Trae can improve both franchises

Trae would create a point of attack of opposing teams to exploit which would be a massive crack in their defense come playoff time. I guess if you're looking long term, you take ANT and Trae and try and just out gun people...but I don't like that for the next 2-3 years at all.

I think Trae is better than people think in the right scheme. I saw better effort at times and the numbers even show he’s gone from clearly the worst I’ve seen in my life, to just bad and a liability. Teams will obviously go at him, but I think teams deliberately going at towns is almost as damaging. He also would have 4 great not good defenders around him. just isn’t as intelligent of a player as Trae. You can even see in the wins that towns isn’t reading the game. He’s just going off a few cookie cutter scenarios they practice: simple stuff . Teams have taken advantage of that every time he’s made the playoffs.

Yeah but the wolves want to use Gobert in drop. Which is fine as long as you're not getting just blown by. Same reason it works for both the wolves and nuggets and even Bucks. Pairing elite inside bigs with terrible POA defenders is a problem. You kinda get the worst of both worlds.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 192

Post#47 » by louc1970 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:56 pm

How about a 3 team trade.

Wolves send Towns, 24 FRP
Wolves receive Murray, Jones, 25 FRP (New Orleans)

Pelicans send Jones, Ingram, 24 FRP (21), 25 FRP
Pelicans receive Griffin, Towns

Hawks send Murray, Griffin
Hawks receive Ingram, 24 FRP (21)

Throw in filler where needed.

Wolves move off the salary of Towns but return a PG (check), a PF (check), both locked for the next 3 years.
Pelicans get Towns and young SF. towns next to Williamson should open up some shooting lanes. The cost is minimal since Pelicans look to be letting Ingram go anyhow.
Hawks put Ingram and Johnson on the floor with Young. Secure 3 of the spots, pick up Sarr in the draft and now able to move Capela or Okongwu. Hawks pick BPA at 21.
shrink
RealGM

Post#48 » by shrink » Mon May 13, 2024 4:59 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:Yeah but the wolves want to use Gobert in drop. Which is fine as long as you're not getting just blown by. Same reason it works for both the wolves and nuggets and even Bucks. Pairing elite inside bigs with terrible POA defenders is a problem. You kinda get the worst of both worlds.

Right. And Gobert had to listen to people say he had been exposed in Utah, when he had to guard 1-on-5 with those poor perimeter defenders. Finally he goes to MIN and gets to play with great perimeter defenders in McDaniels, Ant and NAW, and he gets back to being DPOY of the NBA’s #1 Defense. Rudy couldn’t find enough darkness retreats in the world for Trae’s defense.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 221

Post#49 » by QMemphis » Mon May 13, 2024 5:02 pm

Kineto wrote:Something like Town for JJJ ?

it would be ideal for Minnesota, but I'm not sure that salaries matches and if Memphis would be interested.

Grizz have no interest in KAT. Jaren is pretty much untouchable for us.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#50 » by Wolveswin » Mon May 13, 2024 6:32 pm

Little outside the box is Pacers get Towns.

Turner to 3rd team
Walker
Nembhard - but depending on what Turner gets from 3rd team he could be left out for picks/other Pacers player.

Towns | Siakam frontcourt with a traditional PG like Hali is just sick in Indy.

Fully baked EXAMPLE:

To Pacers: Towns + Moore Jr + Minott

To Pelicans: Turner + Nembhard*

To Wolves: Daniels* + Walker + LNJ + Picks (via Pels)
*Assuming Wolves prefer Daniels to Nembhard, Wolves choice

Wolves send Towns East - not direct to division foe in Pelicans.

Gobert | Reid | LNJ
Reid | Walker | LNJ
McDaniels
Edwards | NAW
Conley | Daniels (starts when ready)
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,759

Post#51 » by bwgood77 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:45 pm

Beal for Towns would be perfect.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#52 » by Wolveswin » Mon May 13, 2024 6:46 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Beal for Towns would be perfect.

I hope that was Green font.

Beal is negative value and doesn’t work on Wolves.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,652

Post#53 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Mon May 13, 2024 6:47 pm

On paper KAT is the perfect #2 for Ant, until you put IQ on said paper.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#54 » by bwgood77 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:52 pm

Wolveswin wrote:

Beal has become underrated though. He is one of like 5 guards who averaged 18/5 ast/4 reb on 60% TS. Add in his steal per game and 43% 3 pt shooting I think he is the only one.

Towns is better but throw in their 24 and 31 first rounders, and with Towns injuries every year and a supermax kicking in, it could work.

I think it is far fetched though
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,652

Post#55 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Mon May 13, 2024 6:54 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

Beal has become underrated though. He is one of like 5 guards who averaged 18/5 ast/4 reb on 60% TS. Add in his steal per game and 43% 3 pt shooting I think he is the only one.

Towns is better but throw in their 24 and 31 first rounders, and with Towns injuries every year and a supermax kicking in, it could work.

This man is prepared for the trade board. Good luck!
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,347

Post#56 » by ShootersShoot » Mon May 13, 2024 6:56 pm

louc1970 wrote:
DrModesty wrote:The Magic make sense as a trading partner. They have picks, they have young players, and they have a strong need for spacing and offensive fire power.

Not sure on the exact package to send back to the T-Wolves. Maybe something like Wendell Carter Jr, Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, #18, 2025 DEN 1st? Very quarters for a dollar for the T-Wolves, however the monetary savings are vast and you get picks and cost controlled young players that fit the Edwards timeline.

I doubt Suggs or Wagner is on the table.

I don't see that working. Towns and Banchero play the same spot. And if you are taking Wagner off the table, there is very little Wolves would want back.
Centers are of little value with Gobert there. It would have to include Wagner and Anthony.

Towns wouldnt be any worse of a fit in the frontcourt with Banchero than with Gobert. KAT can just slide back to center.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,947

Post#57 » by Jadoogar » Mon May 13, 2024 6:56 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:Towns is the missing piece in Oklahoma City.

If they could flip Giddey, filler, and picks for KAT, that's an absolute home run for them.

The problem is Giddey. I don't think the Wolves would want him, so it'd have to be third team involved. They need a PG, but not one like Giddey, in my opinion, but I could be wrong

At the end of the day, the Wolves' only holes are their future at PG and somehow upgrading from KAT at PF, which is difficult because the perfect fit there is actually a dynamic jumpshooting four, and Towns is that.

McDaniel could conceivably slide over to PF as well if they replaced Towns with an established wing (ie. Paul George).

Wolves would absolutely want more (rightfully so). They aren't a tanking team so the picks aren't as valuable. Giddey and Filler isn't improving their team.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,347

Post#58 » by ShootersShoot » Mon May 13, 2024 6:58 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

Why would the wolves want another SG though?
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#59 » by Wolveswin » Mon May 13, 2024 6:59 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:Towns is the missing piece in Oklahoma City.

If they could flip Giddey, filler, and picks for KAT, that's an absolute home run for them.

The problem is Giddey. I don't think the Wolves would want him, so it'd have to be third team involved. They need a PG, but not one like Giddey, in my opinion, but I could be wrong

At the end of the day, the Wolves' only holes are their future at PG and somehow upgrading from KAT at PF, which is difficult because the perfect fit there is actually a dynamic jumpshooting four, and Towns is that.

McDaniel could conceivably slide over to PF as well if they replaced Towns with an established wing (ie. Paul George).

Wolves would absolutely want more (rightfully so). They aren't a tanking team so the picks aren't as valuable. Giddey and Filler isn't improving their team.

And if Towns is missing piece in OKC, why would division foe Wolves make OKC a juggernaut? Wolves are planning on beating OKC many times over the years trying to get into NBA finals.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#60 » by bwgood77 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:28 pm

ShootersShoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:I hope that was Green font.

Why would the wolves want another SG though?

They probably wouldn't, unless Conley declines quickly at his age.

Return to The General Board