This was Luka at the beginning of the season

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,190

Re: This was Luka at the beginning of the season 

Post#41 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue May 14, 2024 4:41 pm

KembaWalker wrote:As someone who moved to Texas last year, they don’t make it difficult here

Tabeling Luka, where you live has so much influence on weight. I live in SF and don't own a car. I walk to work and basically walk 3-4 miles a day without trying.

When I visit my elderly mother in FL, I always put on weight even though my diet/exercise isn't changing much. I'm just not walking at all.

whitehops wrote:a big part of it is genetics i think. just like there are some guys that can never seem to put on muscle, you have guys like luka, zion and jokic that will always struggle to keep weight off. in the off season those guys can focus on keeping their weight down but in season they're more focused on their game and maintaining their bodies, which is usually more about rest/strengthening than dropping weight.

i myself have wide hips and wide shoulders and struggle to keep weight off. it helps when you want to build muscle/strength but yeah you have to actively be trying to drop weight to lose any.

My late father was built like Reggie Miller/Tayshaun Prince. He used to make the same point. For him he could lift weights, up clean calories and only put on a little muscle. And if he took one week off it just disappeared. And in turn he could be a slob for months on end barely put on any fat, and lose it just by eating a clean a couple of days.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,412

Post#42 » by KembaWalker » Tue May 14, 2024 4:41 pm

kacey ring wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
Ducklett wrote:Raising canes is the most overrated chain in history. Change my mind.

I used to say zaxbys was way better than canes but damn they fell off hard in the last few years. Both are pretty mediocre now tbh

Haha. This is true, but I still like Zaxbys. However, I do see them being the first of the chicken national chain fast food joints to go under.

I heard we’re getting Bojangles somewhere around here in Austin this year so I’m ready for that. Been missing it since I moved here
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,305

Post#43 » by Clemenza » Tue May 14, 2024 4:44 pm

Its hookah, beer, and all the food one can eat, right?
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#44 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue May 14, 2024 4:46 pm

MassimoPayne wrote:Do you guys think Luka looks fat because he takes cortisone or something for his pain? this normally makes you look bloated.
there is no way he gains weight so fast while playing so much basketball.

Nah, he hits me as a guy like Barkley. His body naturally puts on weight and during this season he slipped up a little and it shows.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,412

Post#45 » by KembaWalker » Tue May 14, 2024 4:46 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:As someone who moved to Texas last year, they don’t make it difficult here

Tabeling Luka, where you live has so much influence on weight. I live in SF and don't own a car. I walk to work and basically walk 3-4 miles a day without trying.

When I visit my elderly mother in FL, I always put on weight even though my diet/exercise isn't changing much. I'm just not walking at all.

Bro I was 165 at 6’1 and I’m 185 now after 1 year in Texas lol it’s bad here. I didn’t know what a kolache even was before I moved here and now I wish I never learned. Nobody should start their day eating this **** but we have boxes of them at my office free to take 4 days a week lmao
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,432

Post#46 » by jg77 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:48 pm

It wouldn't be fair if this dude was in perfect shape. This balances things out.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,605

Post#47 » by og15 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:58 pm

Woodsanity wrote:
whitehops wrote:a big part of it is genetics i think. just like there are some guys that can never seem to put on muscle, you have guys like luka, zion and jokic that will always struggle to keep weight off. in the off season those guys can focus on keeping their weight down but in season they're more focused on their game and maintaining their bodies, which is usually more about rest/strengthening than dropping weight.

i myself have wide hips and wide shoulders and struggle to keep weight off. it helps when you want to build muscle/strength but yeah you have to actively be trying to drop weight to lose any.

Jokic hasn't been fat for a while and is one of the best conditioned nba players.

In terms of effort for conditioning Jokic is like a 9 or 10, Luka a 3 or 4 and Zion a 1 or 2....

Yea, it's so weird when people talk about Jokic like we're in 2016. Jokic hasn't been overweight since like 2019.

The guy is not fat at all. Unless one is saying he's "skinny fat", but you don't need to be ripped to be conditioned, those are not the same thing. Just look at his face and look at earlier NBA pics, huge difference. Look at him in a suit/regular clothes, his"fatness" is what, that he doesn't have a 6 pack or do hypertrophy muscular training? Lol
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,701

Post#48 » by Statlanta » Tue May 14, 2024 5:05 pm

My biggest pet peeve is fans calling their favorite players fat because they are losing but not talking about their weight when they win
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?
JM00n69
Sophomore
And1: 103

Post#49 » by JM00n69 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:22 pm

Is he fat atm though? I've watched a few Mavs games this post season and he seems OK with his mobility. He's never been shredded has he, he's a white European and relies more on his moves and using his body to get to his spaces. He's still strong and as long as he has his stamina it's all good.

It's the same with Jokic. You look at his undefined body and think he's soft but the guy is strong as **** and can go 48mins if needed. Neither is a high flier. If anyone has watched that 2hr doc about nuggets after they won the title last year you get a glimpse about what Jokic does for cardio and how hard he goes. I was shocked but it makes sense. Can't jump high but much stronger than he looks and unlimited stamina.
BruttoNostra
Senior
And1: 1,297

Post#50 » by BruttoNostra » Tue May 14, 2024 5:23 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

Bro I was 165 at 6’1 and I’m 185 now after 1 year in Texas lol it’s bad here. I didn’t know what a kolache even was before I moved here and now I wish I never learned. Nobody should start their day eating this **** but we have boxes of them at my office free to take 4 days a week lmao

I hear you, brother. Free (especially high sugar) food in the office is the worst. At my first IT experience a decade ago I gained some 15-20 pounds during the first year at some way too generous office, and spent the next 3 years not dropping it, but trying to not gain more than that. 9 years later, and I'm only like 5 pounds more than the original gain. In the current office there is enough free food and booze, but sweets are "sold" - still very cheap, but it's a psychological barrier were you think twice if you really want those excessive calories. I like it better than the opportunity to simply grab it
Vita sine libertāte, nihil
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,134

Post#51 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:30 pm

Has this been gradual? Cause that difference could as another posted point out. Just be water gain. I've seen guys at 10% who looked like 18-20% just because they hold water terribly.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,119

Post#52 » by LaLover11 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:31 pm

He's honestly 2010 LeBron right now
Amazing player but sketchy at the line when the pressure is big
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#53 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue May 14, 2024 5:34 pm

BruttoNostra wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

I hear you, brother. Free (especially high sugar) food in the office is the worst. At my first IT experience a decade ago I gained some 15-20 pounds during the first year at some way too generous office, and spent the next 3 years not dropping it, but trying to not gain more than that. 9 years later, and I'm only like 5 pounds more than the original gain. In the current office there is enough free food and booze, but sweets are "sold" - still very cheap, but it's a psychological barrier were you think twice if you really want those excessive calories. I like it better than the opportunity to simply grab it

A couple years back there was a sales tax proposition on sugary food. I voted yes even though I have a huge sweet tooth. And I voted yes for the reason you outline. Upping the cost forces me to think do I really need that cookie?
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,871

Post#54 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:36 pm

Maybe he is going through something mentally.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,362

Post#55 » by ThunderBolt » Tue May 14, 2024 5:58 pm

A calorie is a calorie regardless if it's from salad or boogers.
Read on Twitter
?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,670

Post#56 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 14, 2024 6:06 pm

Weight on. Weight off. Makes one wonder how he will age. And I don’t mean crows feet and wrinkles. NBA age. Is he shortening his career because his young joints can handle the load now but not as he ages. His joints and body might be few years older than his actual age.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#57 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 14, 2024 6:17 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
BruttoNostra wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:

A couple years back there was a sales tax proposition on sugary food. I voted yes even though I have a huge sweet tooth. And I voted yes for the reason you outline. Upping the cost forces me to think do I really need that cookie?

I am all for sin tax. BUT where does the tax go. If to a general fund or into political persons pocket - no. But when a direct subsidy of healthy food - YES. We should all be able to buy healthy food cheaper (price) and easier (availability or access).

We can’t go to fast food restaurants or grocery stores and buy crap food for a nickel and health food 10x fold.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,303

Post#58 » by MrBigShot » Tue May 14, 2024 6:32 pm

Pay me $40+ million a year with access to world class chefs, nutritionists, doctors and exercise facilities and i'll stay at 10% body fat all year round, genetics be damned.

For a normal person this is a reasonable rationale, for a professional athlete it is not. Luka wasn't always this heavy either and he's not 32+ years old, as a rookie he was in much better shape and more fluid as an athlete.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#59 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue May 14, 2024 6:33 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
BruttoNostra wrote:I hear you, brother. Free (especially high sugar) food in the office is the worst. At my first IT experience a decade ago I gained some 15-20 pounds during the first year at some way too generous office, and spent the next 3 years not dropping it, but trying to not gain more than that. 9 years later, and I'm only like 5 pounds more than the original gain. In the current office there is enough free food and booze, but sweets are "sold" - still very cheap, but it's a psychological barrier were you think twice if you really want those excessive calories. I like it better than the opportunity to simply grab it

I am all for sin tax. BUT where does the tax go. If to a general fund or into political persons pocket - no. But when a direct subsidy of healthy food - YES. We should all be able to buy healthy food cheaper (price) and easier (availability or access).

We can’t go to fast food restaurants or grocery stores and buy crap food for a nickel and health food 10x fold.

I look at sugar taxes the way I look at cig taxes. Even if politicians are outright using it to purchase hookers we're better off.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#60 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 14, 2024 6:34 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

I look at sugar taxes the way I look at cig taxes. Even if politicians are outright using it to purchase hookers we're better off.

Well we can highly disagree on that.

Return to The General Board