JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams]

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who's going to be the new Lakers head coach?

Poll ended at Tue May 21, 2024 3:09 pm

JJ Redick
33%
James Borrego
5%
Sam Cassell
39%
David Adelman
5%
Micah Nori
5%
Chris Quinn
5%
Other (mention in reply)
9%

Total votes: 64

LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,058

Re: JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams] 

Post#41 » by LaLover11 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:21 pm

Give me the big 3

JJ Reddick, Nori, Rondo
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,409

Re: JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams] 

Post#42 » by JDR720 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:22 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:As I keep saying, LeBron needs to be the player-coach.

If they hire Redick, he basically would be.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,337

Post#43 » by amcoolio » Tue May 14, 2024 6:33 pm

Don't do that to poor Borrego, he can't handle it

He was a good coach here but two straight 30 pt losses in the playin doomed him. Team didn't show up at all
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#44 » by DusterBuster » Tue May 14, 2024 6:40 pm

Voted other, trying to put Billups to the Lakers into the universe enough that it becomes a thing.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
CIN-C-STAR
General Manager
And1: 16,591

Post#45 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue May 14, 2024 7:04 pm

It will be Reddick.
Borrego and Cassel names just floated to make it look like a legitimate effort to sign a real head coach.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,482

Post#46 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 14, 2024 7:13 pm

Would JJ take the job if LeBron doesn't agree to return?

I do think the podcasts will have helped LeBron vet him and see that he can think intelligently about basketball and explain his position, but James may prefer to see whether all the dominoes fall in line before committing to anything.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 755

Post#47 » by Charlesareed » Tue May 14, 2024 7:14 pm

I’d love for Sam cassell to finally get a chance to coach I honestly think he’d do better the JJ Redick
Chicago Raised me
socal74
Rookie
And1: 1,265

Post#48 » by socal74 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:17 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Memories wrote:It's gonna be Redick. And I'm gonna laugh.

They just hiring Lebron's buddies at this point and catering to his every whim.

I know you meant this in a negative way, but catering to Lebron's every whim has brough each franchise he has played for a championship. Who wouldn't take that, even with all the negatives it brings?
sorry to tell you but the lakers have 16 prior. Don't give a **** about Lebrons every whim. He's not the Lakers savior as his stans tend to bring up. This is the one franchise that Lebron stans don't have aleg to stand on. Lakers was ok before and will be ok after Lebron. This isn't the Cavs. This is the marquee franchise of the league
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,876

Post#49 » by Pointgod » Tue May 14, 2024 7:19 pm

sikma42 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Why would the Lakers go for a first year coach when they’re trying to compete?

Bc that coach is a top basketball analyst for the esteemed ESPN. Add in the fact that he advanced stat friendly and you get the best man for the job.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Not sure if serious.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#50 » by sikma42 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:20 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Why would the Lakers go for a first year coach when they’re trying to compete?

Bc that coach is a top basketball analyst for the esteemed ESPN. Add in the fact that he advanced stat friendly and you get the best man for the job.

The best man for the job without a doubt is big balls Sam Cassell. He has experience running a team as a PG, he has championship rings, he has been an assistant and he is presently part of the coaching staff that has the Celtics playing extremely well. It really should be a simple choice.

JJ Reddick is a better “basketball mind.”

reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 374

Post#51 » by reddyplayerone » Tue May 14, 2024 7:24 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:LA wants a Grinder
The leading candidate is Lebron's podcast buddy
Giggles

It's really amazing and the longer it lingers as a possibility the more I want it to happen simply for the lulz
holdenwait
Sixth Man
And1: 1,800

Post#52 » by holdenwait » Tue May 14, 2024 7:25 pm

drink enough wine and anything is possible!

Doug_12
Senior
And1: 446

Post#53 » by Doug_12 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:25 pm

I don't know what we are trying to achieve here. The only coach on the list, with a HC experience, is a guy whose biggest feat was losing in the play-in.
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 374

Post#54 » by reddyplayerone » Tue May 14, 2024 7:26 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:I'm intrigued by the prospect of JJ Reddick. There is no denying his intellect and attention to detail, just don't know how a veteran team will respond to a guy who doesn't have any experience or credibility.

JJ said that Larry Bird would be mid in today's league.

This is not a towering intellect and we really need to stop pretending otherwise lmao
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,803

Post#55 » by Upperclass » Tue May 14, 2024 7:29 pm

JJ is the coach.. Richard Jefferson the lead assistant
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,487

Post#56 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 14, 2024 7:42 pm

sikma42 wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
sikma42 wrote:Bc that coach is a top basketball analyst for the esteemed ESPN. Add in the fact that he advanced stat friendly and you get the best man for the job.

The best man for the job without a doubt is big balls Sam Cassell. He has experience running a team as a PG, he has championship rings, he has been an assistant and he is presently part of the coaching staff that has the Celtics playing extremely well. It really should be a simple choice.

A better "basketball mind"...what does that mean?

Steve Kerr got a team that was almost a finished product. He spent a few seasons learning his craft from a pretty good coach, and played on several championship teams. So when the Warrior came calling he was ready. JJ reddick has done what with his "basketball mind?" He has coached where with his basketball mind ? He should be disqualified just for pandering to Ben Simmons a few years ago and building him up as the person that was done wrong by the 76ers. And he played with Simmons and knew his basketball flaws, he offered no push back to Ben back then so he is going to offer push back on Lebron now? What is he going to be other than a yes man for Lebron? But I could be wrong. But as someone else has said he should have been pushing for the Hornets job like crazy.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,569

Post#57 » by azcatz11 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:46 pm

They should 100% hire Chris Quinn. Spo's top assistant. JJ Redick won't last more than 2 years and everyone knows that.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#58 » by sikma42 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:53 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

Steve Kerr got a team that was almost a finished product. He spent a few seasons learning his craft from a pretty good coach, and played on several championship teams. So when the Warrior came calling he was ready. JJ reddick has done what with his "basketball mind?" He has coached where with his basketball mind ? He should be disqualified just for pandering to Ben Simmons a few years ago and building him up as the person that was done wrong by the 76ers. And he played with Simmons and knew his basketball flaws, he offered no push back to Ben back then so he is going to offer push back on Lebron now? What is he going to be other than a yes man for Lebron? But I could be wrong. But as someone else has said he should have been pushing for the Hornets job like crazy.

Have you listened to him on the podcast break down a Gortat screen? Or break down the ROTY race (Chet v. Wemby)…I’ve heard enough lol

Honestly, I think certain fans are enamored with his use of basketball terminology. But I don’t see some basketball mind. He wasn’t a creative basketball player, doesn’t bring creative thoughts to the table and also seems like a jackass. If Lebron co-signs maybe it will work for LA but I think JJs ego will be what brings him down. He will never allow himself to be wrong, there is always some caveat. And this isn’t gonna fly imo with staff and players. That and just he isn’t anything special as a coach.

Why JJ and not 50 other former basketball players. You can just run down the list and find a ton of intelligent former NBA players.

What’s the difference between JJ and somebody like Brandon Williams?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Williams_(basketball,_born_1975)

There are tons of random profiles of smart guys that are in basketball. Just odd that we have decided the JJ is the next guy. Maybe it’s the podcast.

Loneshot
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,040

Post#59 » by Loneshot » Tue May 14, 2024 7:58 pm

holdenwait wrote:drink enough wine and anything is possible!

:lol: I feel like one day while recording, Lebron had a few too many glasses and began looking at JJ like he was Phil Jackson and started nodding his head up and down thinking about all the schemes :lol:
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#60 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue May 14, 2024 8:27 pm

How close are james and JJ actually? Like when it isn’t going his way, are all the Klutch puppets and PR going to be allowed to drag JJ through the mud?

LeBron needs a mediocre coach he’s not friends with to blame when LeBron ball produces play in results.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to The General Board