Nikola Jokic Supernova

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,457

Re: Nikola Jokic Supernova 

Post#41 » by HotRocks34 » Wed May 15, 2024 6:35 am

This was IMO like Hakeem destroying Robinson in 1995. That level.

Total destruction.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
Gatorade Sax
Senior
And1: 844

Re: Jokic Is A Bad MF 

Post#42 » by Gatorade Sax » Wed May 15, 2024 6:54 am

Lakers824 wrote:
Bourne85 wrote:
Mogspan wrote:
Why does Jokić, despite playing in the most competitive era ever, have better stats than every player in history? Explain it to me.

He's not as influential/popular as the LeBrons and MJs of the world, but he has one thing going for him: he's better at basketball.

Better than Lebron? Sure. MJ? Hell no. Guys just have bad memories. MJ was a str8 killer. 6/6 6Finals MVPs two 3 peats and retired because it was too easy already for him lol. Everyone is just wanting soooo badly to put someone above MJ it’s a joke. Desperately tried with Lebron and his atrocious Finals record and choke Job in 2011. 2 of his rings came off miracle 3 from Ray Allen off a Lebron BRICKED rebound, and another title came cuz Kyrie made the game winner. Lebron will never be in the same air as MJ. All he has is longevity and stat pad of a career. And with Jokic, it’s FAR too early to put him up there either with that 1 ring

I have it the same way. Not sure he'll quite catch Jordan, and I don't necessarily think he'll catch Kareem simply because 6 MVPs and 6 titles is a crazy total (along with leading the league in PER a record number of times), but IF he continues like this (a big IF) he's in the top 3 with an argument for goat.

He's ahead of Lebron into terms of advanced metrics when he compare peak to peak, so if the argument for lebron is totla accolades (I.e. the Lebron Stan here saying Lebron "did it for longer) then Lebron loses that argument to Kareem, using the same logic. Advanced stats go out the window and Kareem's 6 titles and 6 MVPs put him ahead of Lebron.

I think it had to be a combination of everything, and Jokic is filling out his resume with MVPs, titles, FMVPs, as well as continue to dominate statistically in a way never seen before.

Dude is a fabricated media campaign away from going for his 5th straight mvp next year. Nobody should ever forget that when discussing his mvp total.
Ol Roy
Sophomore
And1: 149

Post#43 » by Ol Roy » Wed May 15, 2024 6:57 am

Bird's passing + McHale's finishing = Jokic
TheFire
Senior
And1: 1,062

Post#44 » by TheFire » Wed May 15, 2024 7:02 am

To me, he’s CP3 + Dirk + McHale at 300 lbs.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,045

Post#45 » by AleksandarN » Wed May 15, 2024 7:09 am

Read on Twitter
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#46 » by Chuck Everett » Wed May 15, 2024 7:10 am

shi-woo wrote:People can have the GOAT debate all they want, it's opinion, but is there anyone willing to make the argument that he isn't the greatest offensive player of all time? Like, has anyone seen a better player with the ball in their hands? Because I haven't...

He's literally Hakeem and Steve Nash fused on offense, but with the Size of Shaq. Tonight all of that was on full display, and it was worthy of all the superlatives we're giving him.

Of all-time? No, I'm not willing to make that claim. Put together a three-peat and I'm willing to have that conversation.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,900

Post#47 » by QPR » Wed May 15, 2024 7:12 am

Any basketball fan should feel privileged to be alive at the same time as this guy.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,550

Post#48 » by CodeBreaker » Wed May 15, 2024 7:20 am

He's Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki's son
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,045

Post#49 » by AleksandarN » Wed May 15, 2024 7:48 am

Read on Twitter
Lakers824
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#50 » by Lakers824 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:45 am

Gatorade Sax wrote:
Lakers824 wrote:
Bourne85 wrote:
Better than Lebron? Sure. MJ? Hell no. Guys just have bad memories. MJ was a str8 killer. 6/6 6Finals MVPs two 3 peats and retired because it was too easy already for him lol. Everyone is just wanting soooo badly to put someone above MJ it’s a joke. Desperately tried with Lebron and his atrocious Finals record and choke Job in 2011. 2 of his rings came off miracle 3 from Ray Allen off a Lebron BRICKED rebound, and another title came cuz Kyrie made the game winner. Lebron will never be in the same air as MJ. All he has is longevity and stat pad of a career. And with Jokic, it’s FAR too early to put him up there either with that 1 ring

I have it the same way. Not sure he'll quite catch Jordan, and I don't necessarily think he'll catch Kareem simply because 6 MVPs and 6 titles is a crazy total (along with leading the league in PER a record number of times), but IF he continues like this (a big IF) he's in the top 3 with an argument for goat.

He's ahead of Lebron into terms of advanced metrics when he compare peak to peak, so if the argument for lebron is totla accolades (I.e. the Lebron Stan here saying Lebron "did it for longer) then Lebron loses that argument to Kareem, using the same logic. Advanced stats go out the window and Kareem's 6 titles and 6 MVPs put him ahead of Lebron.

I think it had to be a combination of everything, and Jokic is filling out his resume with MVPs, titles, FMVPs, as well as continue to dominate statistically in a way never seen before.

Dude is a fabricated media campaign away from going for his 5th straight mvp next year. Nobody should ever forget that when discussing his mvp total.

He should have four, for sure. And I do think that people keep that sort of thing in mind.
Lakers824
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#51 » by Lakers824 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:47 am

Chuck Everett wrote:
shi-woo wrote:People can have the GOAT debate all they want, it's opinion, but is there anyone willing to make the argument that he isn't the greatest offensive player of all time? Like, has anyone seen a better player with the ball in their hands? Because I haven't...

He's literally Hakeem and Steve Nash fused on offense, but with the Size of Shaq. Tonight all of that was on full display, and it was worthy of all the superlatives we're giving him.

Of all-time? No, I'm not willing to make that claim. Put together a three-peat and I'm willing to have that conversation.

But now we are talking about team success. If a 3 peat is the standard to be considered the greatest offensive player (not sure why it would be), then only Jordan and Shaq would be in the discussion given that they're the only two players to lead their teams to three peats in the post merger era. And it's obviously very hard to make the argument that Shaq was better offensively than Jokic.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#52 » by Chuck Everett » Wed May 15, 2024 8:57 am

Lakers824 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

But now we are talking about team success. If a 3 peat is the standard to be considered the greatest offensive player (not sure why it would be), then only Jordan and Shaq would be in the discussion given that they're the only two players to lead their teams to three peats in the post merger era. And it's obviously very hard to make the argument that Shaq was better offensively than Jokic.

Nope. You're not going to use regular season success to make these outlandish claims. You want those accolades, then you must lead and win the titles doing it.

The stats Jokic puts up in the regular season pale in comparison to what he's doing in the playoffs. When you're putting him up against the best who ever did it, one Finals appearance and a title is simply not enough.

If those guys didn't win, we wouldn't rate them at all. Jokic's brilliance matters as it pertains to winning. Not just pretty box scores.

ETA: This isn't even about rings culture. This is about putting Joker in the pantheon with the best to ever lace 'em up. Well, if you're doing that but he isn't dominating the competition, then I would have to question why did those guys have to win a lot, while he doesn't? Even he says the most important thing is winning and that his stats don't matter and yet, you still have people fighting it.

At this point, Jokic is judged by wins and wins alone. Like tonight. He dominated in a W.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
manou
Rookie
And1: 436

Post#53 » by manou » Wed May 15, 2024 9:18 am

inquisitive wrote:
made the dpoy look foolish

When you look at that clip, I mean, Gobert could not have defended better, it's not on him, it's just Jokic doing a masterpiece.

And when I say that, I mean it's even better than the stats and all, Jokic dominated with massive defense in front of him.

It's a beauty...
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#54 » by dygaction » Wed May 15, 2024 9:21 am

TheFire wrote:To me, he’s CP3 + Dirk + McHale at 300 lbs.

Luka pro max with offball and all needed intangibles
Tony Parker
Freshman
And1: 74

Post#55 » by Tony Parker » Wed May 15, 2024 9:29 am

He is unfathomable. Even a superconsistent player will underperform relative to expactation and he was good but not great at the start of this series. That happens to everybody and says nothing about their quality if we talk about isolated instances.
He came back and showed everybody why he is tthe clear top dog in this league.

Should mention, to be fair that Edwards had a very strong series and his bad game also does not say much about him, as I've allready seen some people flipping on him. He is young and very good allready, has proven enough for his age to make you believe fully in his future, but the Joker just might be too big of an adversary for him right now. All players in the modern era had to fail before they made it to the mountain top. He still got a good shot in the future.
Tony P hall Star N.B.A Oh
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,832

Post#56 » by naabzor » Wed May 15, 2024 10:13 am

All of this against who is supposed to be the DPOY.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,280

Post#57 » by Johnny Bball » Wed May 15, 2024 10:24 am

manou wrote:
inquisitive wrote:

When you look at that clip, I mean, Gobert could not have defended better, it's not on him, it's just Jokic doing a masterpiece.

And when I say that, I mean it's even better than the stats and all, Jokic dominated with massive defense in front of him.

It's a beauty...

I don't think this is accurate and think he could have defended a hellovalot better. He's not the DPOY imo, if I had a vote.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,445

Post#58 » by Nuntius » Wed May 15, 2024 10:26 am

inquisitive wrote:

Can't even blame Gobert for any of these. His defense was rock solid. Jokic is just ridiculous. No one was stopping him.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,137

Post#59 » by Exp0sed » Wed May 15, 2024 11:43 am

HotRocks34 wrote:This was IMO like Hakeem destroying Robinson in 1995. That level.

Total destruction.

I agree, it was the closest i've seen to that and narratives aren't all that differenet with the MV3 going directly at the 4 time DPOY in the biggest game of the season. phenomenal stuff, i'm a Euro and this game was on at an extremely late and uncomfortable hour for me, could have easily just watched it later on demand at my leisure but really wanted to watch it live, because I know what this man can bring and tonight he delievered an all-around performance for the ages, simply phemonemal
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,020

Post#60 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:36 pm

Bourne85 wrote:
Mogspan wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:I agree, but people calling him the GOAT is just laughable.

Why does Jokić, despite playing in the most competitive era ever, have better stats than every player in history? Explain it to me.

He's not as influential/popular as the LeBrons and MJs of the world, but he has one thing going for him: he's better at basketball.

you claiming someone who says "str8" and caps "BRICKED" and types "cuz" is old enough to have seen Jordan play? No possible way!

Return to The General Board