Cavs President berated J.B. Bickerstaff in front of his entire staff for playing Mitchell too many minutes on Dec. 18th

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Re: Cavs President berated J.B. Bickerstaff in front of his entire staff for playing Mitchell too many minutes 

Post#41 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 16, 2024 3:20 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:Oh yeah this guy's getting fired.

After the game, Cavs president Koby Altman walked into the coach’s office and admonished head coach J.B. Bickerstaff in front of his entire staff for playing Mitchell such heavy minutes, multiple sources briefed on the interaction told The Athletic. Descriptions of the incident spread across the organization, including the locker room.
– via New York Times
You basically STOLE my old link info poll to create this new thread and should be locked since this was NOT even recent news.

You are a copy cat poster flooding the forum with repeat copies and should be banned.

I didn't even look at your thread, you are unhinged. There is no other thread that says Cavs President berated Bickerstaff.
Yet that news was almost 6 months old which I posted as a link on da Spida usage on the SAME day as your post like an hour apart but NOT on the berating part that you properly find so appealing for some click bait action, eh?

It would have been appropriate if you had posted this 6 months ago when it happened, not now or you planned on digging up more old news as recent in an attempt at whatever you were trying to accomplish here :)
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Re: Cavs President berated J.B. Bickerstaff in front of his entire staff for playing Mitchell too many minutes 

Post#42 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 3:23 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:You basically STOLE my old link info poll to create this new thread and should be locked since this was NOT even recent news.

You are a copy cat poster flooding the forum with repeat copies and should be banned.

I didn't even look at your thread, you are unhinged. There is no other thread that says Cavs President berated Bickerstaff.
Yet that news was almost 6 months old which I posted as a link on da Spida usage on the SAME day but NOT on the berating part that you properly find so appealing for click bait, eh?

It would have been appropriate if you had posted this 6 months ago when it happened, not now or you planned on digging more old news as recent in an attempt at whatever you were trying to accomplish here :)

I barely found the thread you're talking about bruh. Just like everyone else I didn't even look at it as it has 0 replies which is what you're mad about. If you just read this thread I saw what I posted in the first post on hoopshype thinking it was talking about playoffs but then later found out it was talking about December 18th someone told me to edit the the thread title and I did. I didn't copy your thread I didn't even look at it. I made an honest mistake about this being December 18th and not playoffs and also it was like 1 am you guys are attacking me like I did something horrible, you're acting crazy. Keep it up I'll just laugh at you. :lol:
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,179

Re: Cavs President berated J.B. Bickerstaff in front of his entire staff for playing Mitchell too many minutes on Dec. 1 

Post#43 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu May 16, 2024 3:26 pm

As far I can tell the Cavs had a really good season this year relative to the talent on the roster.
KodiakBear
Sixth Man
And1: 2,208

Re: Cavs President berated J.B. Bickerstaff in front of his entire staff for playing Mitchell too many minutes on Dec. 1 

Post#44 » by KodiakBear » Thu May 16, 2024 3:32 pm

I honestly don't get the Bickerstaff hate. Is he perfect? No. Are there mistakes he has made that you can point to like every other coach? Sure.

But looking at the overall body of work he did a pretty good job. They made the second round and got a win against the 1seed despite having far less talent and dealing with crazy injuries. There is no coach in the league who would have done better with this Cleveland team than Bickerstaff. Fire him if you want, but unless you improve the roster, it is going to be the same second round ceiling.

What is funny is a Cavs fan I was discussing Bickerstaff with who really hated him was saying he should have been fired after last season and Nick Nurse should have been fired. Nurse underachieved far more this year. The Sixers in the playoffs this year were a joke in the 4th quarter other than the Maxey miracle.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,962

Post#45 » by Jadoogar » Thu May 16, 2024 3:33 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:As far I can tell the Cavs had a really good season this year relative to the talent on the roster.

really? The only East teams more talented than the Cavs (on paper) were Celtics, Bucks and Sixers. Considering Embiid's injury, Cavs should have been at least the 3rd seed. They tanked for the 4th seed so they could have an "easier" first round series.

First of all, that's loser mentality. Secondly it put them on Boston's side of the bracket. And lastly, they struggled mightily to beat the Magic so their plan didn't even work.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,572

Post#46 » by vulture » Thu May 16, 2024 3:37 pm

Damn all the dirt coming out of the cavs is a sign of big changes
WentzerWuver
Rookie

Post#47 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 16, 2024 3:40 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Yet that news was almost 6 months old which I posted as a link on da Spida usage on the SAME day but NOT on the berating part that you properly find so appealing for click bait, eh?

It would have been appropriate if you had posted this 6 months ago when it happened, not now or you planned on digging more old news as recent in an attempt at whatever you were trying to accomplish here :)

I barely found the thread you're talking about bruh. Just like everyone else I didn't even look at it as it has 0 replies which is what you're mad about. If you just read this thread I saw what I posted in the first post on hoopshype thinking it was talking about playoffs but then later found out it was talking about December 18th someone told me to edit the the thread title and I did. I didn't copy your thread I didn't even look at it. I made an honest mistake about this being December 18th and not playoffs and also it was like 1 am you guys are attacking me like I did something horrible, you're acting crazy. Keep it up I'll just laugh at you.

No replies indeed, but quite a few views and the odds of you being one of those views prior to this posting are compelling enough for a match. And I view many threads without ever replying to them just for the sake of replying to generate reply count or whatever.

Besides, I was searching for Spida excessive usage to explain why he may have been injured in comparison to the Knicks over use of their players as the source on their related injuries. Anyways, I still doubt your reason as the threads were created like an hour apart but carry on.
KodiakBear
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by KodiakBear » Thu May 16, 2024 3:42 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:As far I can tell the Cavs had a really good season this year relative to the talent on the roster.

really? The only East teams more talented than the Cavs (on paper) were Celtics, Bucks and Sixers. Considering Embiid's injury, Cavs should have been at least the 3rd seed. They tanked for the 4th seed so they could have an "easier" first round series.

First of all, that's loser mentality. Secondly it put them on Boston's side of the bracket. And lastly, they struggled mightily to beat the Magic so their plan didn't even work.

You are leaving out how many injuries the Cavs had. Mitchell missed 27 games, Garland 25 and Mobley 32. Then Jarrett Allen missed most of the playoffs and Mitchell missed the last two games.

Bickerstaff did just fine this year.
KodiakBear
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by KodiakBear » Thu May 16, 2024 3:43 pm

vulture wrote:Damn all the dirt coming out of the cavs is a sign of big changes

Which is funny since this is their best season besides Lebron since 93.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,715

Post#50 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:47 pm

KodiakBear wrote:I honestly don't get the Bickerstaff hate. Is he perfect? No. Are there mistakes he has made that you can point to like every other coach? Sure.

But looking at the overall body of work he did a pretty good job. They made the second round and got a win against the 1seed despite having far less talent and dealing with crazy injuries. There is no coach in the league who would have done better with this Cleveland team than Bickerstaff. Fire him if you want, but unless you improve the roster, it is going to be the same second round ceiling.

I feel like there was growth on his part, and he was certainly limited by injuries and the back half of a top-heavy roster, but there's reporting that he started losing the locker room. It's hard for coaches to overcome that, and if the Cavs decide against trading Garland, I don't see JB as the guy able to get more (any really) synergy from that backcourt.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,179

Post#51 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu May 16, 2024 3:48 pm

Jadoogar wrote:

The Cavs had a higher seed than 2 of the 3 teams that you think had more talent.
WentzerWuver
Rookie

Post#52 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 16, 2024 3:49 pm

KodiakBear wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

You are leaving out how many injuries the Cavs had. Mitchell missed 27 games, Garland 25 and Mobley 32. Then Jarrett Allen missed most of the playoffs and Mitchell missed the last two games.

I am aware of these injuries as well, similar to the Knicks. However, Bickerstaff is not stubborn, unlike Thibs and will likely do what's best for a young team and has spread the time better as of late. Can't say the same for Thibs but it did help their playoffs chances as Randy was out before their playoffs began, no pun intended.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,962

Post#53 » by Jadoogar » Thu May 16, 2024 3:50 pm

KodiakBear wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

Injuries are fair but didn't they go on their best stretch when Mobley and Garland were hurt? It was a weak part of schedule but still, they endured the injuries fairly well.
WentzerWuver
Rookie

Post#54 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 16, 2024 3:52 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:

The Cavs had a higher seed than 2 of the 3 teams that you think had more talent.
Spida is the talent and would have led any team into the playoffs, even the Pistons.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 12,051

Post#55 » by Nate505 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:57 pm

Pretty poor leadership and a bad look on Altman if it's true.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,889

Post#56 » by Roger Murdock » Thu May 16, 2024 4:03 pm

These problems have been an issue for the Cavs three years in a row

1. Playing short rotation
2. Playing starters big minutes even in blowout wins
3. Frequently sitting starters for minor preventive measures, leading to shorter benches and more minutes for the players who are left over
4. Injuries accruing
5. Team starts fading fast come March and April as injuries mount up and players are worn down

This is a 4 year trend under JB

Altman has a right to be pissed. But Altman had the opportunity to fire JB last year and chose not to, so it’s still partially his fault
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,483

Post#57 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 16, 2024 4:04 pm

My take on this thread is some people just take zero personal accountability. And I'm not talking about Altman.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,488

Post#58 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 16, 2024 4:08 pm

Sofia wrote:Here’s the game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202312180CLE.html

Who was he supposed to play? More Caris Levert? Garland was out, and they never found a proper Rubio replacement.

Craig Porter Jr

What's not being said in the article, but you have to read between the lines is that the training staff makes recommendations for how many minutes a player plays and how many consecutive minutes. Altman doesn't go off in this manner on the coach unless he's breaking these guidelines.

If you look at Mitchell's injury history, you will coincidentally see this:

12/20/23 ... Illness

Or perhaps not coincidentally.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#59 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 4:08 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:My take on this thread is some people just take zero personal accountability. And I'm not talking about Altman.

I know you're talking about me and I feel the exact same way about you. You said you needed a break because you were being attacked (playing the victim) yet you didn't take one and make posts like this constantly just trying to instigate with people even when it has zero to do with you it's just crazy. You're definitely the victim in this post you just made aren't you? And always. :lol:
10DayContract
Veteran
And1: 2,673

Post#60 » by 10DayContract » Thu May 16, 2024 4:10 pm

DLoMor wrote:Honestly JB is in a tough situation, he did the best he could do with the team, they were injured in the playoffs and still won a game against the Celtics, he may not be the best best best coach but he certainly isn't close to anywhere near the worst either.

But to be fair, Cleveland is kind of a crappy place and it seems like the GM is an ass, maybe he might be better off leaving Cleveland, Idk.

He could be good on Washington probably as well if he were to get fired.

We all must face facts. Young millionaires don't want to really live in places like Cleveland. It doesn't matter the industry. There's no Silicon Beach on Lake Erie. It's very hard to build a serious contender there. Even LeBron left, twice.

Return to The General Board