Magic Johnson:"Vince is not a star. Just a regular plyr

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,966

Post#41 » by Anticon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:47 am

etopn23 wrote:Only an idiot would think Carter isn't a star anymore. He's putting up the EXACT same stats he always has but is taking 4 less FGA a game... as a result his PPG is down.

I wish people would stop falling back to this argument. Declining stars are capable of putting up big stats. That doesn't mean they're the player they used to be. Webber was still putting up 20-10 before he left, but he was horrible.

Stats don't tell the whole story.

And Vince's problem is a lack of heart, but also laziness. He doesn't work out properly in the summer, but he can pull it off because he's so naturally talented.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#42 » by MagicFan32 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:52 am

Oh please, if the Lakers were offered Vince Carter he'd be for it in an instant, he's never liked Vince Carter, Vince is a very good player, people are just pissed he's not a top 5 player.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Agent0
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#43 » by Agent0 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:25 am

Just to let you guys know.... Magic is one of the greatest player of all time doesn't mean he's a good commentator.
Craig McDermott
Banned User

Post#44 » by Craig McDermott » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:43 am

sarah42 wrote:and kobe is a ball hog, and kg is insame, and rj has small ears - okay everyone has their little faults - why the need to be so negative when that player is playing a game on right in front of you!

seriously, is he going to bring up the fact that chuck is fat, ernie is balding, kenny has big gums, and kobe was charged with sexual assault?

to me shaq is done, carter just isn't a number 1 option anymore. there is difference.

why doesn't he say the more obvious - the lakers will fall without bynum! lol!

^ The site's resident hysterical female.
crackjack
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#45 » by crackjack » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:56 am

Depends on your definition of what a star player is.

I personally don't think that Carter is a player that you can build a championship team around. He's the #2 guy.

Never thought he was the #1 guy. Even when he was scoring points, winning dunk contests, and making commercials.
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#46 » by L&H_05 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:19 am

sarah42 wrote:and kobe is a ball hog, and kg is insame, and rj has small ears - okay everyone has their little faults - why the need to be so negative when that player is playing a game on right in front of you!

seriously, is he going to bring up the fact that chuck is fat, ernie is balding, kenny has big gums, and kobe was charged with sexual assault?

to me shaq is done, carter just isn't a number 1 option anymore. there is difference.

why doesn't he say the more obvious - the lakers will fall without bynum! lol!
:o ^ She just flipped out...

GET HER A WHOPPER !!!!!!
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#47 » by MagicFan32 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:30 am

Exactly Vince is an excellent number 2 guy..put him on LA , Cleveland, Orlando, Toronto..teams with legit superstars but not necessarily title contenders ATM..would probably be with him.

Magic has always been a Vince hater, i mean damn he criticized Vince for trying to make an unselfish play that didn't work out..it's garbage.

He's just self serving for the Lakers much of the time, he's there to prop up Kobe, build up Bynum and tell other teams to trade their stars so the Lakers can get them.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,496

Post#48 » by Ballings7 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:55 am

crackjack wrote:I personally don't think that Carter is a player that you can build a championship team around. He's the #2 guy.

Never thought he was the #1 guy. Even when he was scoring points, winning dunk contests, and making commercials.

I do agree.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Alyosha12
Analyst
And1: 178

Post#49 » by Alyosha12 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:59 am

Kosta wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That was just ridiculous. Nobody in the league today can dunk with that kind of explosiveness, elevation and power. Only Nique could come close to that kind of dunk back in the day.

Nique and Kemp IMO.
hiroSpeed
Pro Prospect

Post#50 » by hiroSpeed » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:06 am

as much as carter likes to dog it... i think he's still a star... just not so much this year.....
but then again.. Magic is just a regular tv analyst
T.Duncan21
Junior
And1: 1

Post#51 » by T.Duncan21 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:09 pm

The hate for Vince Carter is just ridiculous. I can understand how u can say he's playing below expectations but to say he's just a regular player is idiotic. A lot of people judge players and give awards based on a player meeting or failing to meet or exceeding expectations. What people need to understand is that if Vince is playing below expectations... it's still greater than most players playing above expectations. When I hear people say that Redd/Rip are better than Vince... I just laugh. Vince at his worst is better than those guys at their best.

It just comes down to a expectations. If a good student gets a C, people wonder what the problem is and that the student was most likely slacking because they didn't get an A. If a bad student gets a C then he's actually given praise for his improvement and hard work. People need to lower their expectations of Vince but still remember that he's still better than most.

I honestly think Kidd should get the blame just as much as VC... He's so overrated now that it isn't even funny. Yes, the guy gets triple doubles but if u watch him play... his impact on a game isn't really that great. You don't even have to guard the guy cause his jumper is so pathetic. Honestly, Kidd and Vince DO NOT compliment each other at all. Vince is more of a half court guy because he hates to run and Kidd is all about the fast break and is pretty useless playin half court ball.
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#52 » by Datruth345 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:37 pm

fact
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#53 » by B Calrissian » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:59 pm

What teams/players do you think he could play with that could get him motivated? I always wanted to see him play with KG.
powerforward
Junior
And1: 59

Post#54 » by powerforward » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:29 pm

Magic's really noted that Vince's knees are gone- therefore he is just a regular player now.
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#55 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:45 pm

Magic is right. Vince is just another shooting guard.. His dunks got him some reputation and publicity though..
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Post#56 » by hermes » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:38 pm

Datruth345 wrote:fact
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,186

Post#57 » by realball » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:42 pm

I dunno, I think you can have expectations from star players. You can't expect anything from Vince Carter. He puts up stats, but if you replaced him with some average SG, like Josh Childress or Mikhail Pietrus, the game wouldn't be very different.
BooRadley
Head Coach
And1: 205

Post#58 » by BooRadley » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:43 pm

I hate when he yells every single time he drives in trying to draw a foul. That's just lame.
ToffKobe
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#59 » by ToffKobe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:52 pm

Magic is right. Vince is one of the best talents in the league but he cannot carry a team. In his first few years in Toronto though, he was a superstar and destined to be great. Not sure what happened but I guess he just lost his motivation shortly after and didn't give it his best. When he was traded to the Nets, he was like the Vince Carter of old again, but 3 years later and 60 million dollars more looks to have unmotivated him again.
UNLVNugsFan
Rookie

Post#60 » by UNLVNugsFan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:36 pm

VC used to be a superstar, now, he is a borderline all-star who is probably on the decline. I would not go as far as saying that he is a "regular" player, but he is definitely on that path.

Return to The General Board