NBA moving into India.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Quiet-Storm
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#41 » by Quiet-Storm » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Its strange but I have never come across a particularly athletic indian guy before. Im in university now but I spent my middle-school and highschool years in a part of Toronto called Malton which has a very very very very very high population of Indians. None of them in school were ever that athletic. Sure the ones who were in shape and on school teams had athleticism because they were in shape, but nothing out of the ordinary. There were some really athletic chinese kids especially on the ball team. Same with white guys youd find some who were quite athletic especially some of the guys on the volleyball team, they could jump out of the gym. Black players some of them too extremely athletic.

But even though indian students at my highschool outnumbered other students 7-3, I never saw any athletic ones. When I say athletic I mean explosiveness, raw speed, etc.

Maybe its genetics or maybe the indian guys at my school were bums who cant represent . :D

What do you think? Ever met a really athletic indian guy before?
BooRadley
Head Coach
And1: 205

Post#42 » by BooRadley » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:47 pm

I'm Pakistani as well ... and all the Pakis here in the Bay Area play. Some are pretty damn good, but just not that athletic. If an Indian or Paki ever had a chance at the NBA it either be a giant or a sharp shooter.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,271

Post#43 » by Joker » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:48 pm

In India all you see is cricket. It's 99% of it.
The_Pope
Junior
And1: 1

Post#44 » by The_Pope » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:52 pm

Quiet-Storm wrote:Its strange but I have never come across a particularly athletic indian guy before. Im in university now but I spent my middle-school and highschool years in a part of Toronto called Malton which has a very very very very very high population of Indians. None of them in school were ever that athletic. Sure the ones who were in shape and on school teams had athleticism because they were in shape, but nothing out of the ordinary. There were some really athletic chinese kids especially on the ball team. Same with white guys youd find some who were quite athletic especially some of the guys on the volleyball team, they could jump out of the gym. Black players some of them too extremely athletic.

But even though indian students at my highschool outnumbered other students 7-3, I never saw any athletic ones. When I say athletic I mean explosiveness, raw speed, etc.

Maybe its genetics or maybe the indian guys at my school were bums who cant represent . :D

This is actually true. I watch a lot of cricket and time and time again Asian teams get let down by their (lack of) athleticism in the field.
Mr. Perfect
Analyst
And1: 1,346

Post#45 » by Mr. Perfect » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:53 pm

Quiet-Storm wrote:Its strange but I have never come across a particularly athletic indian guy before. Im in university now but I spent my middle-school and highschool years in a part of Toronto called Malton which has a very very very very very high population of Indians. None of them in school were ever that athletic. Sure the ones who were in shape and on school teams had athleticism because they were in shape, but nothing out of the ordinary. There were some really athletic chinese kids especially on the ball team. Same with white guys youd find some who were quite athletic especially some of the guys on the volleyball team, they could jump out of the gym. Black players some of them too extremely athletic.

Hahah, I'm guessing you went to Lincoln?

But yeah, you're right. Us brownies aren't really athletically gifted.

I think out of all the Indians, Punjabis tend to be the most athletic.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#46 » by El Turco » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:59 pm

thetennisyao wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

taiwan is not a country, get ur fact straight.

rofl.

IBMF.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#47 » by GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:46 pm

Quiet-Storm wrote:

You most likely wont see an Indian DWade or LBJ. But then again I dont see A Euro or chinese equivalent of those two players either.

When compared to African American atheletes its hard to find another race of people that can match their atheletic gifts. Other races still manage to be effective in the NBA. Steve Nash is great off the dribble but isnt winning any jumping contests. Dirk Nowitki puts up 20+ without an effort and he's no atheltic monster.

With over a billion people India should be able to produce NBA level talent. The first Indian to migrate to the NBA most likely would be a Yao ming type behometh. A few years after that you may find Indian guards that have good ball handling skills and quickness enter the league.

Still a far way off but the foundation is being built.
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach
And1: 477

Post#48 » by Bobbcats » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:24 am

When compared to African American atheletes its hard to find another race of people that can match their atheletic gifts. Other races still manage to be effective in the NBA. Steve Nash is great off the dribble but isnt winning any jumping contests. Dirk Nowitki puts up 20+ without an effort and he's no atheltic monster.

I think the Berbers are the craziest athletes there's just not many of them. Zinadine Zidane, well he's not athletic anymore but in his younger days. Prime example is Kadour Ziani, who has the highest vertical in history (too short to get gold in the high jump though)
Yankee
Junior

Post#49 » by Yankee » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:57 am

GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

you take the cake for ignorance. WTF. You think India has a population of 500 million. ARe you fn dumb? You know there is this site google that you could search India's population that couldve helped your analysis.

Even if the rest of your argument held any credit it was quickly dimissed by your complete ignorance of India's population.

please don't mistaken ignorance with "i don't give a F*ck"

please attack post the poster :pray:
“Let me ask you this: The Secretary General of the U.N. was sitting near me. Do we fire him because we don’t have world peace? I mean, come on.” -Rev. Al Sharpton on Isiah
kellex
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#50 » by kellex » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:23 am

Yankee wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

please don't mistaken ignorance with "i don't give a F*ck"

please attack post the poster :pray:

haha i just came in and saw that...wow
blog: Blaze of Love
http://www.blazeoflove.com
Khan
Senior
And1: 11

Post#51 » by Khan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:01 am

thetennisyao wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

taiwan is not a country, get ur fact straight.

you sure taiwan is not a country? who are you? a commie? oh wait, you probably are.

Image[/img]
Yankee
Junior

Post#52 » by Yankee » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:31 am

kellex wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

instead of being gracious and informing us about his native land he goes on the offensive.

99% of the people here would never be able to tell you the population of russia, does that mean they're ignorant? the last time I check Russia is 1000x more important country than India.

just because you live in the US don't expect people over here to know everything about your native country.

People from hundreds of countries immigrate to America every year. How many people migrate to India?

Next time up you have an opinion you must google first. because everything must be correct or else you are ignorant.

oh BTW what the population of russia? I think its 200 million

and remember attack the post or enlighten the poster!
“Let me ask you this: The Secretary General of the U.N. was sitting near me. Do we fire him because we don’t have world peace? I mean, come on.” -Rev. Al Sharpton on Isiah
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,472

Post#53 » by CBS7 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:46 am

The condition in India isn't THAT bad. Its not great, but I sure as hell wouldn't describe it as a country that is "very poor" where "most people are just trying to survive." There are parts of the country like that, and parts that aren't.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,472

Post#54 » by CBS7 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:47 am

My cousin's husband was pretty athletic before his ankles went out on him. He is 6-1 ish and used to be able to dunk with ease, in games, and used to play in some national tournament here in America. He was pretty good.

Oh yeah, I'm Indian.
Mr. Perfect
Analyst

Post#55 » by Mr. Perfect » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:50 am

Yankee wrote:

instead of being gracious and informing us about his native land he goes on the offensive.

99% of the people here would never be able to tell you the population of russia, does that mean they're ignorant? the last time I check Russia is 1000x more important country than India.

just because you live in the US don't expect people over here to know everything about your native country.

People from hundreds of countries immigrate to America every year. How many people migrate to India?

Next time up you have an opinion you must google first. because everything must be correct or else you are ignorant.

What's that supposed to mean? I don't get how Russia is more 'important' than India. That might have been the case 20 years ago, but this is 2008. India is one of the most prominent countries in the world.

Anyhow, regarding India's population, it'd be one thing if you were close. But you were off by like 500 million.
Mr. Perfect
Analyst

Post#56 » by Mr. Perfect » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:54 am

_CBS7_ wrote:The condition in India isn't THAT bad. Its not great, but I sure as hell wouldn't describe it as a country that is "very poor" where "most people are just trying to survive." There are parts of the country like that, and parts that aren't.

Nah bro, it is pretty bad there.

I went there a few years ago, and I recall seeing people on the streets without arms and legs begging for money. Little kids would come up to you trying to sell cheap merchandise, like combs for just single rupees.

And this was in a pretty decent area of Gujarat too, not even the slums.

I believe Mumbai has one of the worlds biggest slums, and I think Calcutta is one of the worlds poorest cities. Poverty is definitely a huge issue there.
endo
Analyst
And1: 95

Post#57 » by endo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:28 am

Yankee wrote:

orangutooth
Sixth Man
And1: 101

Post#58 » by orangutooth » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:31 am

india has a pretty large range of people. there are enough middle class and higher income poeple there to support a basketball movement.

india has a long way to go though. you'd definitely see an indian guy raised in north america in the nba before you see one from india but are there even any indians in div 1?

i played with a guy once who claimed he was on some sort of serious indian basketball club representing the province of kerela. he was not very good.

i'd really like to see a japanese player come in the nba and stick in there. considering the fact that there are quite a few basketball manga/anime, i'd make the assumption that basketball has some level of popularity in that country.
Sam wasn't the solution, but he wasn't the problem either
- Harry Palmer
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#59 » by TMACFORMVP » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:47 am

Yeah I'm Indian also (born in California though) but I've been there as recent as last year. Cricket and tennis are essentially the main sports there and rarely do they cover the NBA only on a show late at night covering U.S. Sports for like a half an hour. It definitely won't be as popular and successful as China since they've had a history of basketball before and obviously players like Yao and participating in the Olympics greatly enhance that. It should be a long process for it to reach that type of market.

Saying that, you can see the sport becoming more popular, you'll see more and more gyms, actual high school/college basketball teams and playgrounds with people filled all over (obviously with that huge population haha) and hopefully this should try to get more viewers and fans because obviously it could potentially be a huge market.
Hypz
Head Coach
And1: 8

Re: NBA moving into India. 

Post#60 » by Hypz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:58 am

kellex wrote:The NBA has already taken steps towards China in announcing NBA China, well now they have decided on India as well.

Can the NBA become the #1 global sport or will football(soccer) always dominate?

http://lebasketbawl.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... india.html

The world entire soccer market is a haystack to the NBA's needle. Granted we're comparing apples and oranges, NBA is a league, and the world soccer market is made up of thousands of domestic and international leagues.

Return to The General Board