What can a core of top5pick/Marion/Wade do in the East?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,295

Post#41 » by BBallFreak » Thu Feb 7, 2008 11:59 am

I doubt Marion opts out. Who else can offer him $17.6 million this offseason? The Heat didn't get him expecting him to walk away. If he does though, Brand becomes the obvious target.

As to our pick and it's position, I give it 15-20 games before people start getting "injured". That should be enough time for them to get a feel of what they can do together. Even if we win 15 more games this season (and I don't expect us to), that puts us at 24 wins and probably secures one of the five worst records in the league. That should be a decent position to add a good talent.

Now, as far as the team we've got to look forward to watching the rest of this year, I look forward to seeing a quartet of Banks, Wade, Marion, and Haslem. I believe those four guys are likely to be an integral part of where we go next.

Banks is a very good defender who can get up and down the court quickly, and also shoots a very solid 38.5% from downtown. Marion is a stud, but how well he plays off of Wade will be quite interesting to see. Obviously, Haslem is going to fit from a player standpoint just perfectly. What I really like about those four guys, aside from their athleticism, is their ability to play defense. All of them do. Perhaps they can cover some of Mark Blount's deficiencies in both rebounding and defense.

As for their free agent prospects, even with J-Will and Davis expiring, they're not going to be under the cap. In fact, this year, they're paying the tax. They're about $8 million over. Once those two expire, they're going to have their MLE and LLE to use, and a solid pick. Of course, that cuts into their cap space the following year, as well. I don't know if they'll use them, or if they'll be intent on having every bit of cap space they can get their hands on when Marion expires.

If the Heat are looking for the quick fix, they'll trade either Williams or Davis (along with Smush :pray: ) for an overpaid big that some team is looking to get out of (say, Troy Murphy).

I have no clue what this team is going to do next year. Too many variables to predict. All I can say is that I'm really looking forward to seeing Wade, Marion, Banks, and Haslem playing on the same team, hopefully on Sunday...
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#42 » by NYKnick87 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 1:20 pm

CB4MiamiHeat wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Were 9-37 .. even going .500 the rest of the way gets us 27 wins .. that should be good for a top 5 lotto pick, theres not gonna be more than 5 teams with less than 30 wins. I dont think its pathetic for Wade and Marion to go .500 with a team full of Dleaguers.

And i dont know why youre naming Jwill there as if he was a good player..hes one of the worst starting PGs in the league.

This guy just had 0 points 1 rebound and 2 assists in 30 minutes today.

I expect you to be better than NY, MIL, SEA, LAC, and MEM at least. If Wade is as good a leader and player as many fans have been saying he is, then landing a top 5 pick even with the addition of Marion is pathetic. Remember, this is the EC - NJ is 9 games under .500 and they are still in the playoffs. They have a considerable amount of ground to make up as it stands, but no way should they be a team contending for a top 5 pick when the seasons all over with.

Return to The General Board