Sam Smith - Lebron Gets Star Treatment

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Re: Sam Smith - Lebron Gets Star Treatment 

Post#41 » by mr_sunshine » Mon Apr 6, 2009 5:55 pm

An Unbiased Fan wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:Sam Smith needs to back his argument with some examples, or some sort of evidence. You can't just throw numbers out there, without proof of LeBron getting away with fouls at the rate he's suggesting, and expect anyone to take his argument seriously. Without proof, what he believes in his mind to be "facts" are just mere opinions. What Sam SMith is doing is the same thing most RealGm'ers do on a nightly basis.

You mean like the block on Richardson which was clearly a foul? It's not exactly a secret that Lebron gets star treatment. The same could be said of Wade when it comes to drawing fouls. Interstingly, guys like Kobe, Shaq, and Dwight don't get these calls very much.

That was sick! Two plays before LeBron SCREAMS at the ref when Barbosa takes his arm back and doesn't foul him on a 1-on-2 breakaway and he loses the ball and gets no T. Then he clearly fouls Richardson with no call, Cleveland gets a 5-on-4 wide open 3, then another free point from J-rich getting T'd up. Oh how I love the NBA!
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#42 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Mon Apr 6, 2009 5:56 pm

Sure, it happens. Kobe does it too, Wade does it too(see: Detroit game a few weeks back). Welcome to the NBA, it's not just LeBron and it's insane for people to act like it's only him and it's insane for all of you non-Cavs fans to spout off your opinions when it's BLATANTLY obvious you only watch the Cavs when they're nationally televised, don't try to act like he's this golden boy when I've seen him literally get PUNCHED IN THE FACE(against Utah) and not get an and-1 or a whistle for it. Or against Boston in the playoffs last year where he posterized him with the picture CLEARLY showing KG was pushing him on the dunk...yet no and-1 was called. I'm not say he needs to get more calls, but your "golden-boy" accusations are off-base, because he's not alone in ANY of it.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#43 » by TheOUTLAW » Mon Apr 6, 2009 6:01 pm

Seriously I have never in my life seen LeBron scream at a ref. To even say it is just completely blowing something out of proportion in my eyes. Sure he does get some star treatment, although he really doesn't foul alot. He's really not a pressure defender most times. That being said, I also think people overstate the amount of foul calls he receives.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
An Unbiased Fan
RealGM
And1: 5,531

Post#44 » by An Unbiased Fan » Mon Apr 6, 2009 6:23 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:Seriously I have never in my life seen LeBron scream at a ref.

Why would he need to scream at a ref if he gets nearly ever call in his favor?
7-time RealGM MVPoster 2009-2016
Inducted into RealGM HOF 1st ballot in 2017
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#45 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Mon Apr 6, 2009 6:41 pm

An Unbiased Fan wrote:

Someone doesn't watch any non-nationally televised Cavs games.
An Unbiased Fan
RealGM
And1: 5,531

Post#46 » by An Unbiased Fan » Mon Apr 6, 2009 6:45 pm

InBoobieWeTrust wrote:
An Unbiased Fan wrote:

Someone doesn't watch any non-nationally televised Cavs games.

LOL, how many non-nationally televised Cavs games are there? Seems like they are always on :lol:
7-time RealGM MVPoster 2009-2016
Inducted into RealGM HOF 1st ballot in 2017
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#47 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Mon Apr 6, 2009 6:48 pm

Well, they did have a lot recently. Three in a row, but we've had a good 50 or 60 non-nationally televised games.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,874

Post#48 » by DowJones » Mon Apr 6, 2009 6:57 pm

vinnycorleone wrote:I think it's obvious to everyone except Cav's fans that LeBron is not being ref'd the same way other players are.

I wish Kobe could get that treatment. Nothing against LeBron...he doesn't control the whistles. But it is unfair.

LMAO A Kobe fan complaining about the officials? Again...LMAO.
Ju Mad
Banned User

Post#49 » by Ju Mad » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:15 pm

SoulJah wrote:we all know how nba is hanging from LeBron's sack since he came to league.. so whats new?

Basically. So can people stop complaining about the **** already? If you don't already know LeBron is the golden boy of the NBA and gets the most calls in his favor, you do now. Get over it.
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Post#50 » by Gordon Bombay » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:39 pm

lebron doesnt play much defense through three quarters and pretty much is the team's free safety for most of the game because he is usually guarding the worst starter on the opposing team up until the 4th...that could be why he doesnt pick up fouls - nobody challenges him

delonte and mo rack up the fouls like its their job tho
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,802

Post#51 » by ropjhk » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:49 pm

Well, Sam has given us yet another thing to scrutinize officials for.

In addition to watching for cheap fouls going in Wade's favour, now we get to watch out for non calls for Lebron on defense.
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#52 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:50 pm

Wade, LeBron, and Kobe all get the SAME EXACT treatment. Anyone who says otherwise is just insane and wrong.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,802

Post#53 » by ropjhk » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:52 pm

InBoobieWeTrust wrote:Well, they did have a lot recently. Three in a row, but we've had a good 50 or 60 non-nationally televised games.

That goes for every team. But I think the point was that we don't need to watch Lebron's non nationally televised games to get a picture of how the officials treat him. Most people can watch Lebron 20+ times during the season, and that's plentiy enough.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#54 » by LLcoleJ » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:53 pm

Kobe, by no fault but his own. Does not get the calls some might think. I believe that is constant bitching at the refs ( that I also believe are somewhat justified) has soured refs. Does Kobe get calls? Sure. But he does not get them to the extent some may think.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
superBlazerFan
Junior
And1: 32

Post#55 » by superBlazerFan » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:54 pm

just more proof that the nba is rigged
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,140

Post#56 » by SOUL » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:06 pm

Honestly I never see star wing players in foul trouble.

People complain Yao/Dwight/Shaq get away with stuff inside, and they do. But they still get in foul trouble regardless. Cant tell you how much games hes been out halfway thru the first from 2 quick fouls
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,611

Post#57 » by aboveAverage » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:15 pm

There's nothing in this report except stats. Solid, hard, statistics. Take from it what you will. This doesn't necessarily mean that LeBron gets preferential treatment on defensive plays, but the stats do point that way.

And it's not necessarily David Stern that tells the refs to do this either. It could be just, in the heat of the moment, the refs give LeBron the benefit of the doubt simply because he is a superstar beyond any proportion. The Refs are human beings too.
panacea
Veteran

Post#58 » by panacea » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:55 pm

Flashx3x wrote:
sdeezy wrote:
Forest wrote:Who the hell wants to watch a game with Lebron James on the bench in foul trouble?

This. That's all it comes down to. Its not fair but the league doesnt want Lebron in foul trouble.

I agree with this. For the fans and media, LeBron never fouling out just means we get to watch more LeBron, which is awesome. We are witnessing one of the greatest players to ever play the game (possibly).

However, this comes at the price of compromised integrity of the game.

It's a tradeoff. You want to see a 6'9 beast put on a show in the 4th quarter or do you want the game played the right way?

If he's one of the greatest players to ever play the game, he wouldn't need to be bailed out (and kept on the floor) by the refs.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#59 » by Showtime:Part2 » Mon Apr 6, 2009 10:54 pm

Phil_2.0 wrote:Kobe, by no fault but his own. Does not get the calls some might think. I believe that is constant bitching at the refs ( that I also believe are somewhat justified) has soured refs. Does Kobe get calls? Sure. But he does not get them to the extent some may think.

ya, kobe really doesn't get the calls that even guys like paul pierce get. but at the same time, kobe is one of the top 3 whiners in the league. he doesn't understand it probably annoys them.
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,636

Post#60 » by Asianiac_24 » Tue Apr 7, 2009 12:11 am

For those who thinks Kobe gets the same amount of calls Lebron/Wade gets, go watch a Laker game. Kobe rarely gets a call when he's driving. He do get some calls on the defensive end though, but not on the offensive end, when Kobe has to literally throw it up with his left hand to get the shot up because he was wacked during his drive so many times

Return to The General Board