Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,238

Re: Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball. 

Post#481 » by Laimbeer » Fri May 17, 2024 1:26 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:The Fever suck big time and that's why she was the #1 pick.

They're clueless, not talented and don't seem well-coached. Also, CC's teammates have to get used to her passing. That's typical.

CC has to work on her own development but that squad is really not so good.

Yeah, that was my fear going in - her getting stuck on a bad team.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,494

Post#482 » by HotRocks34 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:31 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

They're clueless, not talented and don't seem well-coached. Also, CC's teammates have to get used to her passing. That's typical.

This is literally the story of every #1 pick on bad pro team.

Read on Twitter

Wemby comes to mind.

The Fever are a mess IMO. But CC can be part of the turnaround.
** Luka made The Finals without Brunson
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,468

Post#483 » by Heat3 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:32 pm

There were stars in women's basketball before. If the litmus test is whether people care about them now, give Clark 25 years and see if anyone cares about her then. They had their time in the limelight. Now is Clark's. That doesn't mean she'll always have it.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,693

Post#484 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 17, 2024 1:34 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Yeah, that was my fear going in - her getting stuck on a bad team.

She honestly might be the first top player ever drafted to a bad team...

:roll:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#485 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 17, 2024 1:35 pm

Two games into her pro career...I foresee a trade demand coming by Memorial Day.

Read on Twitter
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,437

Post#486 » by Gusto1903 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:44 pm

The fever also destroyed Kysre Gondrezicks psyche, right?
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,405

Post#487 » by shrink » Fri May 17, 2024 1:57 pm

Since Minute One of her first WNBA game, opposing coaches have decided she’s the player to double-team. Not any of the other WNBA vets, not last years’s #1 pick and ROY Aliyah Boston. Clark.

She’s looked pretty shaky in her first two games, but I don’t have much concern that she’s going to figure it out.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,802

Post#488 » by ropjhk » Fri May 17, 2024 1:59 pm

If she is HER as the media hyped her up to be then she'll eventually figure it out. A slow start is not unexpected. She needs to maintain her composure, stay humble and work hard to build up her teammates. Jordan and Lebron had to go through it. Wemby showed that he's likely to persevere through it. We'll discover by the end of the season if CC has the mentality to succeed under challenging conditions and great expectations.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,204

Post#489 » by cupcakesnake » Fri May 17, 2024 2:02 pm

shrink wrote:Since Minute One of her first WNBA game, opposing coaches have decided she’s the player to double-team. Not any of the other WNBA vets, not last years’s #1 pick and ROY Aliyah Boston. Clark.

She’s looked pretty shaky in her first two games, but I don’t have much concern that she’s going to figure it out.

The Fever have a hilariously brutal schedule to open the season. Besides a few games against a young LA Sparks teams, they basically only play the predicted top 4 teams in the league (Las Vegas, New York, Conneticut, Seattle) over and over again over their first 9 games. Don't be surprised if this team is 2-7 and getting blown out most nights until their schedule softens a bit after that.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,467

Post#490 » by robbie84 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:04 pm

I mean let's be honest. She's insanely good and she's white. She's a marketing dream.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,204

Post#491 » by cupcakesnake » Fri May 17, 2024 2:08 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:What makes Caitlin Clark so special and THAT much better than for example Sabrina Ionescu? Is it the forced media attention?

In college, Clark showed a lot more driving and playmaking than Ionescu in college.

The Fever are young, but they definitely have talent. 2x #1 picks. Aaliyah Boston may not have had anything approaching CC's hype, but for people who actually follow, Boston is considered a generational prospect. Nalyssa Smith went #2 overall in 2022 and is a big talent.

The Fever are going to get killed over their first 10 games because most of their games are against the top 4 contenders in the NBA.

Boston is starting the year looking less than 100%. She'll get rolling soon. The Fever will be fine but they're not expected to be amazing this year.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,111

Post#492 » by Wingy » Fri May 17, 2024 2:10 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Two games into her pro career...I foresee a trade demand coming by Memorial Day.

Read on Twitter

She has got to be exhausted.

Jumping right into the pros from college season, all the spotlight, pressure and expectations for months on months. Yeah, boohoo she also reaps the rewards, but she is human and has got to be worn out by it all.

I’m sure she’ll struggle often most of the season as most rookies do. Then with a real offseason to rest, train, get ready, and another high pick teammate incoming, I’d be surprised if we don’t see big strides next season.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#493 » by sikma42 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:19 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46

I didn’t realize only two teams were given charter flights. And then other teams aren’t even allowed to pay for their own flights. Seems like a competitive advantage. Indiana and NYL both flew back to NY last night..just that the Liberty are banned from taking a private flight (even tho the owner would pay for it).

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,494

Post#494 » by HotRocks34 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:33 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Gusto1903 wrote:What makes Caitlin Clark so special and THAT much better than for example Sabrina Ionescu? Is it the forced media attention?

In college, Clark showed a lot more driving and playmaking than Ionescu in college.

The Fever are young, but they definitely have talent. 2x #1 picks. Aaliyah Boston may not have had anything approaching CC's hype, but for people who actually follow, Boston is considered a generational prospect. Nalyssa Smith went #2 overall in 2022 and is a big talent.

The Fever are going to get killed over their first 10 games because most of their games are against the top 4 contenders in the NBA.

Boston is starting the year looking less than 100%. She'll get rolling soon. The Fever will be fine but they're not expected to be amazing this year.

Boston is very talented but has not looked good so far this season IMO. I'm sure she'll get in gear.

I thought she had a tough time in the post yesterday, at least early.

It's just the start, so things should get in gear. But just watching the team, I wasn't impressed with much.
** Luka made The Finals without Brunson
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
shrink
RealGM

Post#495 » by shrink » Fri May 17, 2024 2:40 pm

Wingy wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Two games into her pro career...I foresee a trade demand coming by Memorial Day.

Read on Twitter

Jumping right into the pros from college season, all the spotlight, pressure and expectations for months on months. Yeah, boohoo she also reaps the rewards, but she is human and has got to be worn out by it all.

I’m sure she’ll struggle often most of the season as most rookies do. Then with a real offseason to rest, train, get ready, and another high pick teammate incoming, I’d be surprised if we don’t see big strides next season.

Right. And she looks like this all the time. She is incredibly driven and competitive.

Check out “Full Court Press” on Hulu and ESPN+. She talks about having to be “on” all the time. When fans everywhere come up to her for an 5-10 second interaction everywhere, she feels she needs to give every one of them, a thank you, a smile, and a picture. It’s a big deal for each fan. There is this scene where she’s trying to eat breakfast at a restaurant, and people are constantly interrupting her for pictures. She’s very nice to every one of them, smiles and interacts but after the fan leaves, she immediately snaps back to this face. Maybe it’s just her resting “something” face?
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#496 » by life_saver » Fri May 17, 2024 2:44 pm

as someone who doesn't follow college basketball & women's basketball much, I am also curios regarding this. I remember few years back when I used to hear Sabrina's name quite a bit and she seemed to be a very good shooter too...she is also a White American, seemed to have exciting game, also has good looks but why didn't she become atleast close to half the popularity that Clark got ?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#497 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 17, 2024 2:53 pm

shrink wrote:
Wingy wrote:She has got to be exhausted.

Right. And she looks like this all the time. She is incredibly driven and competitive.

Check out “Full Court Press” on Hulu and ESPN+. She talks about having to be “on” all the time. When fans everywhere come up to her for an 5-10 second interaction everywhere, she feels she needs to give every one of them, a thank you, a smile, and a picture. It’s a big deal for each fan. There is this scene where she’s trying to eat breakfast at a restaurant, and people are constantly interrupting her for pictures. She’s very nice to every one of them, smiles and interacts but after the fan leaves, she immediately snaps back to this face. Maybe it’s just her resting “something” face?

I acknowledge that this would be tough for most people to handle. Myself included.

I acknowledge it's even tougher for female celebrities as they often unfairly are over-criticized for not smiling enough.

But she ain't alone in this. She isn't the first celebrity to dislike the pressures and rigors of the spotlight.

She's lucky she's in a small market instead of LA or New York where paparazzi follow you around all day trying to snap unflattering photos.

Most importantly: she does need to address her demeanor in the game and on the sidelines. When you're the face of the franchise, you at least need to look like you want to be there.

Wingy
RealGM

Post#498 » by Wingy » Fri May 17, 2024 2:57 pm

shrink wrote:
Wingy wrote:

Read on Twitter

Haven’t seen it, but that’s not surprising. Gotta be so draining. Everyday, every moment. Life of celebrity. Gift and a curse.

She seems pretty aware of what she means to the game, so yeah, gotta be mentally and physically worn out already.
shrink
RealGM

Post#499 » by shrink » Fri May 17, 2024 3:01 pm

The next two weeks of WNBA play determine if she’ll make the Olympic team as well. More pressure, and so far, not good.

Caitlin Clark’s early play in WNBA will serve as her tryout for a spot on the U.S. Olympic women’s basketball team.

The women’s roster for the Paris Games won’t be determined before June 1. Unable to attend the U.S. training camp this month, Clark will have the start of her WNBA career to show the U.S. women’s basketball selection committee whether she deserves a spot on the team.

Selection committee chair Jennifer Rizzotti said she’ll be watching.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#500 » by Wingy » Fri May 17, 2024 3:01 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Most importantly: she does need to address her demeanor in the game and on the sidelines. When you're the face of the franchise, you at least need to look like you want to be there.

Definitely an area for improvement. Her body language is rough. I give her a pass for youth, and the unique pressures, and this all being new. Yeah, there are others, but so so sooo few walk this particular road.

But over time, I hope she has some recognition of this area, and improves. If it doesn’t, it’s undoubted going to turn people off.

Return to The General Board