2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who wins and goes to the WCFs?

Thunder in 4
4%
Thunder in 5
9%
Thunder in 6
21%
Thunder in 7
12%
Mavericks in 4
1%
Mavericks in 5
4%
Mavericks in 6
39%
Mavericks in 7
10%

Total votes: 326

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,596

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 3-2) 

Post#4921 » by og15 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:10 pm

OldeBoy wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
OldeBoy wrote:
Feels like we are saying the same thing. OKC got good shots, just missed. Can't chalk up that low of a percentage all to Dallas' great defense. 25% was self inflicted, by just missing makeable shots, to some degree.

Oh I misunderstood you. I agree the missed open shots have little to do with Dallas defense. But when you said look in the mirror, I took that to mean OKC needs to do something differently. Not sure you want those guys to do anything but step into the same shots again.

Shoot with confidence. I think its become a mental thing.

It could be, also might not be, sometimes you really just miss a lot over multiple games, and your confidence is high on every shot.

Dallas shutting down the paint though have prevented them from having an alternative option outside of SGA with their roster makeup, so they have to keep going outside.

SGA is not an "explosive scorer" in general, his game isn't particularly built for that, so the chances of him going out and taking something like 35 shots and being the one to put the pressure on Dallas all game is low. That's not really how he plays.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,472

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL leads 3-2) 

Post#4922 » by CobraCommander » Thu May 16, 2024 5:14 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:SGA looking at a team where he does everything right but needs some real help.

First time ever Luka has a equal on better opponent that he is facing in the playoffs but Luka’s team is actually better.

Good for Dallas on those trades -

Looks like 0kc still too young

Gotta give credit to Dallas' defense though. OKC was 3rd in points per game in the regular season. Dallas is making them very predictable it's either SGA drive to the hoop or shoot a 3. They are clogging up that lane and only SGA is a superstar that can consistently get by it.

Yes but think about it - that’s what Luka ran into previously. He was ready but the Mavs were not.

Now okc has proven they can win the west reg season but they are not able to adapt and beat Dallas. I think last night was the game to win the series.

Sga has been far and away the best player in this series but he can’t overcome the total team performance by Dallas-

We have never been able to say that about the Mavs!

I gotta admit this is a new Mavs team where Luka isn’t the best player on the court and the Mavs can still
Win.

Not a bad situation for the Mavs
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,716

Post#4923 » by mademan » Thu May 16, 2024 5:15 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Read on Twitter

Luka's too strong for Shai's pushoffs. He doesnt have the length of DJJ, but he doesnt budge when Shai tries that sneaky fend off
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,643

Post#4924 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:21 pm

mademan wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Read on Twitter

Luka's too strong for Shai's pushoffs. He doesnt have the length of DJJ, but he doesnt budge when Shai tries that sneaky fend off

These are made up. The real stats for anyone interested:

-46 possessions (as primary defender)

- 56.5% from the field

-75% 3PT

- 3 turnovers (7 assist)
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,716

Post#4925 » by mademan » Thu May 16, 2024 5:23 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
mademan wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Read on Twitter

- 56.5% from the field

-75% 3PT

- 3 turnovers (7 assist)

lol. Got me
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,734

Post#4926 » by Bob8 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:39 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
mademan wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Read on Twitter

- 56.5% from the field

-75% 3PT

- 3 turnovers (7 assist)

Maybe some link about those stats. Both look wrong to me.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#4927 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 5:55 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
mademan wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Read on Twitter

- 56.5% from the field

-75% 3PT

- 3 turnovers (7 assist)

Not saying you're wrong but can you provide a link?
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,492

Post#4928 » by HotRocks34 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:26 pm

Legler said today that Luka is the best player in the series (I assume he means talent-wise and not who has played best in the series, which is SGA).

At 5:45 or so into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/live/Bwo1BEtsD1w?si=Nfk5mC1zN0GT0jMf
** Luka made The Finals without Brunson
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,357

Post#4929 » by ThunderBolt » Thu May 16, 2024 6:33 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
OldeBoy wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Does it?

They were the best shooting team in the league. Other than Giddey, the guys getting the shots are guys you want getting shots. Sometimes you just miss. Doesn't mean you don't want those exact same shots next game.

The bigger issue is Dallas letting them do very little around the rim. And I'm not sure they have answers to that for this year.

Feels like we are saying the same thing. OKC got good shots, just missed. Can't chalk up that low of a percentage all to Dallas' great defense. 25% was self inflicted, by just missing makeable shots, to some degree.

Oh I misunderstood you. I agree the missed open shots have little to do with Dallas defense. But when you said look in the mirror, I took that to mean OKC needs to do something differently. Not sure you want those guys to do anything but step into the same shots again.

I think the missed shots do have to do with Dallas’ defense. The Dallas offense is so much more fluid. They got better shots consistently. I think back to Jalen Williams and a three point shot he missed. He caught the ball, couldn’t find anywhere to pass and eventually shot a three that he missed. It was open-ish but it was almost like a last second prayer. Compare that to Dallas who moves the ball, the shooter gets a shot that he catches in rhythm and shoots without thinking. Both are open shots but not the same. And it ultimately comes down to Dallas just being the better team for 4 out of 5 games.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4930 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:46 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
OldeBoy wrote:

I think the missed shots do have to do with Dallas’ defense. The Dallas offense is so much more fluid. They got better shots consistently. I think back to Jalen Williams and a three point shot he missed. He caught the ball, couldn’t find anywhere to pass and eventually shot a three that he missed. It was open-ish but it was almost like a last second prayer. Compare that to Dallas who moves the ball, the shooter gets a shot that he catches in rhythm and shoots without thinking. Both are open shots but not the same. And it ultimately comes down to Dallas just being the better team for 4 out of 5 games.

Yep even the open threes felt totally out of rhythm at times.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Post#4931 » by Cubbies2120 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:15 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
mademan wrote:

- 56.5% from the field

-75% 3PT

- 3 turnovers (7 assist)

I'd ask the same about the tweet posted - what's the source of the numbers for the tweet?
FrightCoward
Sophomore
And1: 228

Post#4932 » by FrightCoward » Thu May 16, 2024 7:20 pm

sikma42 wrote:
FrightCoward wrote:Jalen Williams has been completely exposed this series. Lol at thinking he’s better than Paolo.

I think he will be better than Paolo. He’s just shook. Seems incredibly immature and just needs to grow up.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

He’s a year and a half older than Paolo and went to college for three years. Banchero looked like a legit star in the Cavs series and nearly won them that series single handedly if not for Franz and Suggs crapping the bed. Williams is a fantastic young player, but he’s legitimately overrated by those that think he has the same potential as Banchero as the #1 on a contender. This is another case where the analytics get it wrong.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,480

Post#4933 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 16, 2024 7:26 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

- 56.5% from the field

-75% 3PT

- 3 turnovers (7 assist)

I'd ask the same about the tweet posted - what's the source of the numbers for the tweet?

Dude, this is dueling narratives. Stop asking for proof of any kind of data.

Luka Stoppa!!!!!
SGA Unstoppable!!!!

If Dallas really tried to guard SGA with Luka full-time it would be a disaster. Forget how well Luka would or wouldn't hold up(poorly imo), you are just wearing out your offensive engine and risking foul trouble.

Mavs fans should just be glad, Luka is competing super hard no matter who he gets matched up with. He's not ducking these challenges. This is really good.

Thunder fans should be glad SGA is a guy the little Mavs have had no answers for. He is getting where he wants and he is making shots at a fantastic rate.

But this isn't about that even. This is just about hurray my guy. And that's okay.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#4934 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 7:28 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

- 56.5% from the field

-75% 3PT

- 3 turnovers (7 assist)

I have no idea, I just posted the twitter link. But it seems to be some secret on where people find these stats no one ever wants to say the site. So I don't know any sites that has these stats.

I concede that what I posted was wrong I don't really care. Just wanted to look at these stats that some people have access to but don't want to share with others.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,734

Post#4935 » by Bob8 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:31 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

- 56.5% from the field

-75% 3PT

- 3 turnovers (7 assist)

Funny enough, both numbers are from the same tweet. ;) First original tweet, second in response.
Baz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,818

Post#4936 » by Baz » Thu May 16, 2024 7:39 pm

9 more wins until the Mavs are NBA Champions (i'm trying out optimism because pessimism has never worked)
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4937 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:09 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Dude, this is dueling narratives. Stop asking for proof of any kind of data.

Luka Stoppa!!!!!
SGA Unstoppable!!!!

If Dallas really tried to guard SGA with Luka full-time it would be a disaster. Forget how well Luka would or wouldn't hold up(poorly imo), you are just wearing out your offensive engine and risking foul trouble.

Mavs fans should just be glad, Luka is competing super hard no matter who he gets matched up with. He's not ducking these challenges. This is really good.

Thunder fans should be glad SGA is a guy the little Mavs have had no answers for. He is getting where he wants and he is making shots at a fantastic rate.

But this isn't about that even. This is just about hurray my guy. And that's okay.

Na it’s about correcting a false assertion. Matchup data not that useful but made up stats significantly less useful.

I’ve been busy at work will source. But this is a poor post from you. Corrections aren’t dueling narratives.
MrGoat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,628

Post#4938 » by MrGoat » Thu May 16, 2024 8:16 pm

Bob8 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
mademan wrote:

- 56.5% from the field

-75% 3PT

- 3 turnovers (7 assist)

Maybe some link about those stats. Both look wrong to me.

https://www.nba.com/stats/team/1610612742/matchups?dir=A&sort=DEF_PLAYER_NAME

Money's numbers check out. 13/23, 3/4 from deep. Not a huge sample but SGA is actually the player Luka has guarded the most shots against in this series. Although the 3 point number isn't even actually a bad sign for Luka, if Giddey isn't in the game SGA is the guy you're supposed to leave open from deep, if he hits them he hits them. The 10/19 on 2s actually doesn't even look that bad the way Shai's been shooting the mid range in this series.

https://www.nba.com/stats/team/1610612760/matchups?dir=A&sort=DEF_PLAYER_NAME

On the other hand SGA has primarily been defending PJ Washington, 17/33, 10/18 from deep

(Page 5 for both links I believe, the hyperlink doesn't do the sorting)

Though I'm not even sure how much I would read into these numbers because you'd actually need to watch the film of the defensive plays to really see what's going on. This is largely just tracking who the nearest defender is which doesn't tell the whole story
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,480

Post#4939 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 16, 2024 8:16 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I’ve been busy at work will source. But this is a poor post from you. Corrections aren’t dueling narratives.

Gotta say I didn't have this post making you mad.....

All my content about SGA was positive and about Luka not being able to guard him. Just started with the fun of both sides having unsourced data.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 37,033

Post#4940 » by Dirk » Thu May 16, 2024 8:22 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:

I have no idea, I just posted the twitter link. But it seems to be some secret on where people find these stats no one ever wants to say the site. So I don't know any sites that has these stats.

The same data that shows SGA shooting 56.5% with Luka as the defender... has SGA shooting 33.3% on DJJr which is quite impressive. Paul George was 41%.

One interesting thing to note is that SGA has fewer shots tracked against DJJr than he has against Luka/PJWashington despite DJJr having far more possessions defending him. Maybe implies a few things.

Source: NBA.com/Stats/H2H
60/21/10

Return to The General Board