Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated (NOW YOU CAN CHANGE VOTES)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Has Jokic been overrated?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 649

DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,661

Re: Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated 

Post#501 » by DimesandKnicks » Mon May 13, 2024 9:53 pm

lessthanjake wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:
Only for people who see a star player’s team win through great team defense and want to simplistically give that star the credit for that. It’s unfortunately a simplistic form of analysis that is very common, both in terms of fans and sports media. Doesn’t make it accurate.

Anyways, beyond the fact that, given the overall numbers, it’s abundantly clear that the 2007 Cavs beat the Pistons due to incredible team defense and that essentially anyone would tell you that that great team defense was really not about LeBron in particular, it’s worth noting that the Cavs did great in that series in the few minutes LeBron sat (+16 in 21 minutes), and that that was, unsurprisingly, on the back of incredible defense—with the Cavs holding the Pistons to an absurd 73.3 points per 100 possession with LeBron off the floor (including just a 32% effective FG%). Of course, that’s a tiny sample size, but there’s really essentially no reason to think that LeBron was driving the greatness of the Cavs defense, and we know that the great defense is what drove the team’s success. One really just has to *want* to credit LeBron to somehow conclude he carried the team. He didn’t. The defense did, and you can talk all you want about what was “extremely clear to anyone who watched the series,” but I think anyone who watched the series and didn’t see the Cavs team defense carrying the team was blind or hopelessly biased.

Lebron was their best defender. Do you know the details of those 21(!) Total minutes? Was it garbage time? Long stretches (no)? With alot of bench players in for Detroit, a limited offense to begin with?

Jokic was a plus 3 last night. So Denver won by 5 in the 9 minutes he was off the floor. That must mean Jokic wasn't their best player by your logic then, right?

None of it was garbage time. There wasn’t even really any garbage time in the entire series, since all but one of the games was close and LeBron was in until the end of the game in the game that wasn’t very close.

And there’s really no basis for the claim that LeBron was the best defender on the 2007 Cavs. People did not believe that at the time, nor do impact stats say that that’s the case (there’s multiple Cavs ahead of him in DRAPM that season, and either way the team’s DRTG with him on and off the court was virtually identical).

And no, I’m not saying that plus-minus in small samples is super meaningful. But the problem is that the claim I was responding to included saying that LeBron’s defense carried the team, and there’s nothing that tells us that. That isn’t indicated by regular season impact data or plus-minus. It’s not indicated by any contemporaneous accolades regarding LeBron’s defense, or just how his defense was talked about at the time. Nor is it backed by how the defense did without him on the floor in that particular series. You might be able to draw a parallel with Jokic regarding the final point there (since plus-minus in small samples is super noisy), but you absolutely cannot draw a parallel with all those points, since Jokic was MVP this year and had enormous impact stats. The case that LeBron was the primary driver of the 2007 Cavs’ defense is extremely weak, and the case that Jokic is the primary driver of the 2024 Nuggets being a really good team is extremely strong. (Meanwhile, of course, the case that the 2007 Cavs were carried by their defense is really just inarguably correct, so LeBron not being the primary driver on that side of the ball leads to an obvious conclusion regarding whether LeBron carried the team).

I said Lebron carried that team to the finals. I never said he was the primary driver of the Cav’s defense at all.

I also highlighted how the team had the same exact record the year prior with a middling defense :noway:
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant

Post#502 » by DimesandKnicks » Mon May 13, 2024 9:59 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:Where are all those guys who said Jokic' doesn't have to face big defensive centers, like they had back in the 90's? Well, he's dominating the 7'2", 4-time reigning DPOY.

Like I said... Jokic can beat you in so many ways. If it's Gobert, he's drawing him out of the paint and making plays above the break... opening up the lane for his teammates and nullifying Rudy's real benefit. If it's KAT, he can abuse him in the post or kick out to shooters when the double team comes. Jokic is an entirely different type of animal than they had back in the 90s.... we done with that.

:noway: he can also hide on Gobert on the defensive end, as opposed to having to defend those guys. We’re still waiting for you to name that too end C talent that was better than that of the 90s
JVFRMN
Freshman
And1: 129

Post#503 » by JVFRMN » Mon May 13, 2024 10:42 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:I've been saying this since his first mvp. He's an incredible system player, but he lacks competitive fire and toughness to be an ATG player. His MVP as a 6 seed will be locked at as THE worst mvp season in history. It'll make the Rose and Nash wins seem unanimous.

Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work. He can't take over without that second punch on the perimeter the way other ATGs could. Now that Murray has been exposed, so has Jokic. What's funny is that those really watching told you this year's ago when he only got the sixth seed without him.

To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him. Last year he took advantage of an injured field, and a weakened conference in a transition year. He had Murray playing like a superstar and to his credit got it done. But his awards don't match his greatness and in a few years everyone will come around to what I'm saying here right now.

100% agree, but social media will hate this take. Hold down the fort, because this is clear as day.
:clown:
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,415

Post#504 » by CobraCommander » Mon May 13, 2024 11:15 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
This guy only values points per game. It's going to be impossible to explain to him that Jokic's game is built on his ability to create for others and through that his team wins games.

Just like Gobert is only playing good defense if he has a lot of blocks or steals, never mind he changes the geometry of the court and consistently makes the right reads and responses. Never mind his team is better with him on the court. And similarly, anytime someone scores in the paint on the Nuggets, it'll be Jokic's fault.

And remember, if you think Gobert or Jokic is great, you're a starts nerd. Also if Gobert doesn't get 5+ blocks or Jokic doesn't get 35+ points....they played bad because of you know...their stats.

Again I look to dhsilv2 to explain the importance of nuance and the true impact on winning. What makes Jokic better than anyone else isnt his scoring and what makes Rudy great isn’t just blocks…. It’s creating the offense and running or creating the defense by playing the way they do respectively.

It’s the hockey assist, the gravity, getting the ball to Murray and making the correct switch or pick at the end of the game so he has a chance to score, it’s the humility to not question the call in the huddle that gives the ball the Murray when Murray is struggling… it’s getting on his team mates when they miss plays but not making them look like idiots -

With Rudy it’s playing his part every time down the floor on defense and offense. Even if they lose to Denver, I think the wolves on the right path.

Keep teaching lol

He's not teaching anything. All that stuff is obvious. He also said Gobert was the best player for Minnesota in game 1 where he had 6 points and Edward's had 43. No amount of being in the right position on defense can make up for that scoring difference to reasonably have that take.

The best player is relative to who contributes more to winning - not who hits what stat line the most

All that said

And Edwards was the best player in game one lol

Two things can be true and my man makes great points - this time I disagree with dhsilv2 on who was best in game one - but his overall point is still solid and overwhelmingly correct and over looked
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,663

Post#505 » by Jaqua92 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:28 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:I've been saying this since his first mvp. He's an incredible system player, but he lacks competitive fire and toughness to be an ATG player. His MVP as a 6 seed will be locked at as THE worst mvp season in history. It'll make the Rose and Nash wins seem unanimous.

Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work. He can't take over without that second punch on the perimeter the way other ATGs could. Now that Murray has been exposed, so has Jokic. What's funny is that those really watching told you this year's ago when he only got the sixth seed without him.

To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him. Last year he took advantage of an injured field, and a weakened conference in a transition year. He had Murray playing like a superstar and to his credit got it done. But his awards don't match his greatness and in a few years everyone will come around to what I'm saying here right now.

100% agree, but social media will hate this take. Hold down the fort, because this is clear as day.

Ah yes. Clear as day. As Eyetoma tells us all because Embiid takes 23 shots against lottery teams...disappears after Embiid goes home, and shows up again when Jokic looks to be done...

Only to disappear again.

Jokic is now a 3x MVP, FMVP and has the Nuggets humming. Are you ever gonna give it up?

Last year, you finally said it "Jokic is the best in the world"

We know you know lol
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant

Post#506 » by DimesandKnicks » Mon May 13, 2024 11:38 pm

lessthanjake wrote:Okay, so a few foundational problems with what you’re trying to argue here:

1. These measures are either RAPM or based on RAPM with a box prior. RAPM is quite noisy over single-season samples. Adding a prior makes it less noisy in small samples, but it is still inherently noisy, primarily because the sample of data when people are on or off the court isn’t high in small samples. So yes, with noisy data, you get some weird results (though, the results also do *mostly* look right even in such small samples, and I don’t see you denying that). Some of those results you think are weird might actually be because you are wrong in your individual assessment of players, but a lot of the time you’re just going to be pointing to the result of RAPM being noisy in small samples. The problem you have here is that RAPM gets a lot less noisy over larger samples, and I didn’t just give you a single season of Jokic’s and LeBron’s data. I gave you analysis across a bunch of seasons in a bunch of different metrics. So yes, one can always point to weird results in single-season impact data, caused by statistical noise. But the chances of the results just being caused by statistical noise when we are looking at data across a bunch of seasons (and a bunch of different metrics) is way lower, and pointing to idiosyncratic single-season results doesn’t change that.

2. You do try to claim that career DRAPM must be wrong, based on things you assert are “abnormalities” but you seem to not understand what the time horizon is on that career DRAPM data. Specifically, it starts at the advent of play-by-play data in 1996-1997. So yeah, Hakeem only looking slightly better than Jokic in defense is really not particularly abnormal at all, because the data is only encompassing Hakeem’s age 34-39 seasons—which are miles away from his defensive peak. Same thing with Jordan, whose seasons in that data set are just him at ages 33, 34, 38, and 39. The data on Gary Payton doesn’t include his DPOY year, and almost half of it is from years where he was old and not making all-defensive teams anymore. The career RAPM data isn’t looking at the whole career for older guys like this, so you shouldn’t draw opinions about the data based on a feeling of how those players should rate based on their whole career.

I mentioned a lot more players than those legacy guys. And I could have mentioned a lot more. Hartenstein being more impactful than Anonoby for example.

3. Meanwhile, you mention Dwight Howard—who does have complete data for his career included. But the thing is that we also know his year-to-year DRAPM (as calculated by the same guy who did the career RAPM calculations I linked to) was very high—typically in the 3.0-4.5 range—during the years he was being recognized as a great defender. The rest of his career—which includes a lot of years where he was nowhere near as good of a defender as before—obviously weigh him down, such that the overall career DRAPM isn’t much higher than Jokic. But DRAPM actually does indicate that peak Howard was a significantly better defender than Jokic, which actually is suggestive of DRAPM being accurate to your expectations, not inaccurate.

You said these metrics get less noisey over the course of a players career. Howard was a better defender in his twighlight years than Jokic is now. Which one is it?

So yeah, there’s really not a lot to your criticisms, once we recognize that single-season impact data is very noisy (and that I’d provided less noisy multi-year data validating my point), that career DRAPM data only starts at 1996-1997, that you partially relied on completely false information, etc.

Again, I mentioned players who played after 97. What’s more, he ranks above Kawhi, Porzingis, Chris Bosh, Jason Kidd (which I mentioned), Jarett Allen, Andre Kirlenko, Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, OG Anonoby, Mitchel Robinson, Marcus Smart, Serge Ibaka, Brook Lopez, Iman Shumpert, Billups, Josh Hart, Shawn Marion, Klay Thompson, Ilgaskaus, KCP, Noah, Tayshaun Prince, Nic Claxton, D’eandre Jordan, Jaren Jackson, Trevor Ariza, Ben Simmons and is a few points below Giannis, Patrick Beverly, Anthony Davis, Shane Battier, Dwight Howard (Marc Gasol is rated higher than Dwight Howard), Tyson Chandler, PJ Tucker, Marcus Camby, thybulle. These are all players praised for the defense being rated worse or near to a player who is hunted on pick and rolls.

Jerome James managed to beat Jokic though and Isaiah Thomas is a better defender than Deshawn Stevenson. This ain’t just a few anomalies. This metric is ****. And this just one of these advanced stats.

2. How much does his rebounding and deflections contribute to his defensive impact data looking good? Probably quite a lot! As it naturally would, since those are very important things that genuinely have a massive effect on how much opposing teams score. Like, sure, if you want to define everything Jokic does really well defensively as not being part of defense, then you can get yourself to a conclusion that he’s not a good defender. But that’s just obviously ridiculous. Jokic is an *incredibly* impactful defensive rebounder, and that’s a huge part of why he’s a good defender. And you seem to not be understanding that if defensive rebounding is helping Jokic in this data, it’s because his rebounding leads to opponents scoring less, not because the data is arbitrarily weighing defensive rebounds highly. Impact data is not grounded in weighing box stats. It is grounded in isolating out an individual player’s effect on plus-minus data, regardless of any particular box data stats. That’s what makes it so good for measuring defense—which is an area where box stats don’t encompass much!

I don’t know why you’re saying I’m not understanding how much his rebounding impacts his defense when it’s one of the reasons I put forth as him ranking so favorably in advanced stats.

3. As for how much his offensive impact drives his defensive impact, there’s an argument that that might be the case to some degree. I’m not sure it’s really true, because, while being better offensively limits the transition opportunities the other team has, being better offensively *also* makes your team more likely to be ahead by a lot instead of behind by a lot, and teams defend a lot worse when they’re ahead by a lot. Either way, though, it’s not really relevant to this comparison, because we are comparing to LeBron, and LeBron has elite offensive impact too, so this same factor would be helping LeBron a similar amount. It cannot be some major factor allowing Jokic to look similarly good to LeBron defensively while actually not being as good—rather, it’d just be a potential factor that would make them *both* look better defensively than they should.

Jokic is more efficient a better FT shooter and is averaging more assist in his prime. All while being a much better rebounder. These aren’t marginal difference, and maybe these are things that explain why a player who’s hunted on pick and rolls has a nearly identical drapm than someone who almost won DPOY. You don’t hunt good defenders on pick and rolls. You don’t seek out Draymond Green, Joakim Noah or Keving Garnet on PNR

Please go on and tell me what measure of defense is better than impact measures? They’re just clearly the best, since everything else is hopelessly simplistic in measuring defense. Again, please understand that “advanced” box stats (like PER, win shares, etc.) are not the same as impact data. Impact data is not weighing assists or rebounds or other box stats to spit out a number. It is isolating out the effect of an individual player on what happens to the scoreline. That’s obviously the best way to look at defense, and it is a method that completely backs what I have been asserting and contradicts your position entirely.

You can actual watch the game. Again, Jokic himself admits to not being a good defender. Is it a good metric to determine someone’s defensive impact, maybe, but there are clearly abnormalities that don’t track with the actual game and Jokic ranking so high appears to be one of those abnormalities.

And, since this part of your post was not particularly clear, to the extent you’re referring to the 2006 series against the Pistons, please note that the Cavs offense was bad in that series too. It was the same story. In that 2006 series, the Cavs scored 99.4 points per 100 possessions against a team that had given up 103.1 points per 100 possessions in the regular season. In other words, the Cavs had a genuinely bad offense in that series. So how was the series close? Well, the Cavs gave up 106.4 points per 100 possessions to a team that scored 110.8 points per 100 possessions in the regular season. So, in that series, the Cavs had a bad offense and a good defense, and the result was that the series was close. And, by the way, to the extent you might point out that the Cavs got to 7 games despite actually being outscored a good bit and that that suggests doing well in business end of close wins, please note that LeBron had a putrid 45.6% TS% in the 4th quarters of the three games Cleveland won (along with 5 turnovers). The Cavs won those close games by giving up only 52 total points combined in the 4th quarters of the three games they won (17.3 points per quarter) and overall holding the Pistons to incredibly low 98.5, 86.1, and 99.8 points per 100 possessions in those games, while the Cavs offense averaged like 100.3 points per 100 possessions—again, bad offense carried by great team defense.

I was referring to the entire season where they had an identical record to the one they had in 07. The defense wasn’t the driving force to them winning 50 games. So what was?
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,415

Post#507 » by CobraCommander » Mon May 13, 2024 11:48 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:ANT doesn’t think Jokic is overrated

The next great one sees one of the all time greats and current best player on earth and doesn’t even hesitate to call him the best player on earth. Keep in mind Ant is playing with Towns and Rudy who both at some point thought they were better than jokic - and ant is straight up reminding everyone what every objectively already knows - Jokic is the best -

Funny how everyone except maybe Giannis calls jokic the best in the world - well Giannis, AD, Stephen A Smith, big Perk and RealGM posters.

Giannis can’t say it:.. he just can’t- jokic was behind him, ran him down and passed him… and that has to hurt. Probably good that that Giannis won’t say it so he can try to catch up.

AD can’t say it cause Lebron would slap him for being weak. Cause AD is young enough and talented enough to where he should be challenging Jokic but he isn’t and that’s odd.

SAS - I think espn and Disney told SAs who to vote for… his bosses

big Perk suffers from an ism that isn’t worth discussing.

But how can real gm people not named Eyetoma not see the reality ?

I don’t get it -

4 time mvp, champ, finals mvp, great teammate, confident leader, stays out of the off the basketball BS, legit tough guy that doesn’t start anything. Here to play basketball and go home - but if you a punk like the M-twins… well he can do that too.

What else yall want??

360 backflip dunks...?

Then and only then will they give him his due -

But Edward knows what Lebron knows what curry knows what Embiid knows - this is the best guy on earth - and is going to be in the top 15 guaranteed and he is the only one truely trending that way in the nba under 30 -

Giannis on cusp but we need more… sorry
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,426

Post#508 » by lessthanjake » Tue May 14, 2024 12:14 am

DimesandKnicks wrote:I mentioned a lot more players than those legacy guys. And I could have mentioned a lot more. Hartenstein being more impactful than Anonoby for example.

Yes, and you were referring to a single-season data point, which I addressed in what you quoted. Single-season impact data is noisy and somewhat random, but I provided you with multi-year data in a bunch of different metrics, so pointing to things you think are abnormal in single-season data really doesn’t refute anything I said whatsoever. It’s also worth noting that one could not make the same kind of impact-data point that I made regarding Jokic and LeBron with regards to the example of Hartenstein and OG, because the data overall isn’t as consistent in what it says. For instance, OG has averaged substantially better D-EPM than Hartenstein over the last few years (like almost twice as high as Hartenstein). So the data really isn’t in the same direction there across metrics, while it is with Jokic looking similar or better than LeBron defensively. That should give us much more confidence in using the data to come to a concrete conclusion.

Anyways, this is a rabbit hole. Saying certain data must be wrong because you think other unrelated data points are wrong is an inherently weak point, especially when the amount of data you’re trying to refute is so large, with lots of different methodologies used.

3. Meanwhile, you mention Dwight Howard—who does have complete data for his career included. But the thing is that we also know his year-to-year DRAPM (as calculated by the same guy who did the career RAPM calculations I linked to) was very high—typically in the 3.0-4.5 range—during the years he was being recognized as a great defender. The rest of his career—which includes a lot of years where he was nowhere near as good of a defender as before—obviously weigh him down, such that the overall career DRAPM isn’t much higher than Jokic. But DRAPM actually does indicate that peak Howard was a significantly better defender than Jokic, which actually is suggestive of DRAPM being accurate to your expectations, not inaccurate.

You said these metrics get less noisey over the course of a players career. Howard was a better defender in his twighlight years than Jokic is now.

No, I don’t think he was. Dwight Howard was nowhere near as good defensively near the end of his career as he had been. As a LeBron fan, your sample size for him in those years is probably mostly just 2020, which was the year he played his best defense in his late career years, but he was genuinely not all that great defensively for most of those late years. He’d declined quite a lot athletically, which had a big effect on his defense. Meanwhile, I think you just don’t understand the huge value of the things Jokic does really well defensively. His ability to get contested rebounds is utterly dominant—probably the best player of this generation at that. He generates turnovers in an elite manner, particularly for his position. He doesn’t foul. He doesn’t mess up rotations. He gets back in transition substantially better than most centers. He is a guy who is a great defender in a ton of ways, but just isn’t a good rim protector. And you just seem to think that someone who is a better rim protector must be a better defender. You’re wrong.

So yeah, there’s really not a lot to your criticisms, once we recognize that single-season impact data is very noisy (and that I’d provided less noisy multi-year data validating my point), that career DRAPM data only starts at 1996-1997, that you partially relied on completely false information, etc.

Again, I mentioned players who played after 97. What’s more, he ranks above Kawhi, Porzingis, Chris Bosh, Jason Kidd (which I mentioned), Jarett Allen, Andre Kirlenko, Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, OG Anonoby, Mitchel Robinson, Marcus Smart, Serge Ibaka, Brook Lopez, Iman Shumpert, Billups, Josh Hart, Shawn Marion, Klay Thompson, Ilgaskaus, KCP, Noah, Tayshaun Prince, Nic Claxton, D’eandre Jordan, Jaren Jackson, Trevor Ariza, Ben Simmons and is a few points below Giannis, Patrick Beverly, Anthony Davis, Shane Battier, Dwight Howard (Marc Gasol is rated higher than Dwight Howard), Tyson Chandler, PJ Tucker, Marcus Camby, thybulle. These are all players praised for the defense being rated worse or near to a player who is hunted on pick and rolls.

Jerome James managed to beat Jokic though and Isaiah Thomas is a better defender than Deshawn Stevenson. This ain’t just a few anomalies. This metric is ****. And this just one of these advanced stats.

Data isn’t just wrong because you don’t like what it tells you. Did you ever think that maybe the data says Jokic is a really good defender up there with some of the guys you’ve mentioned above because there are tons of things he does extremely well defensively? Again, you seem to be unable to conceptualize defense as anything other than rim protection and perhaps foot speed on the perimeter. Jokic is genuinely absolutely elite at many aspects of defense.

2. How much does his rebounding and deflections contribute to his defensive impact data looking good? Probably quite a lot! As it naturally would, since those are very important things that genuinely have a massive effect on how much opposing teams score. Like, sure, if you want to define everything Jokic does really well defensively as not being part of defense, then you can get yourself to a conclusion that he’s not a good defender. But that’s just obviously ridiculous. Jokic is an *incredibly* impactful defensive rebounder, and that’s a huge part of why he’s a good defender. And you seem to not be understanding that if defensive rebounding is helping Jokic in this data, it’s because his rebounding leads to opponents scoring less, not because the data is arbitrarily weighing defensive rebounds highly. Impact data is not grounded in weighing box stats. It is grounded in isolating out an individual player’s effect on plus-minus data, regardless of any particular box data stats. That’s what makes it so good for measuring defense—which is an area where box stats don’t encompass much!

I don’t know why you’re saying I’m not understanding how much his rebounding impacts his defense when it’s one of the reasons I put forth as him ranking so favorably in advanced stats.

But you talk about it as if it *wrongly* increases estimations of his defense. It increases estimations of his defense because it is a impactful thing defensively. Jokic is absolutely elite at defensive rebounding, and this is a massive part of defense and it is a reason impact data ends up coming out showing him being a good defender. When you get tons of contested rebounds on the defensive end, the other team gets a lot less second-chance points when you’re on the court, and when they get fewer second-chance points when you’re on the court, the data unsurprisingly will likely show that your presence on the court lowers the number of points opposing teams score. And that’s how you look good in impact stats.

3. As for how much his offensive impact drives his defensive impact, there’s an argument that that might be the case to some degree. I’m not sure it’s really true, because, while being better offensively limits the transition opportunities the other team has, being better offensively *also* makes your team more likely to be ahead by a lot instead of behind by a lot, and teams defend a lot worse when they’re ahead by a lot. Either way, though, it’s not really relevant to this comparison, because we are comparing to LeBron, and LeBron has elite offensive impact too, so this same factor would be helping LeBron a similar amount. It cannot be some major factor allowing Jokic to look similarly good to LeBron defensively while actually not being as good—rather, it’d just be a potential factor that would make them *both* look better defensively than they should.

Jokic is more efficient a better FT shooter and is averaging more assist in his prime. All while being a much better rebounder. These aren’t marginal difference, and maybe these are things that explain why a player who’s hunted on pick and rolls has a nearly identical drapm than someone who almost won DPOY. You don’t hunt good defenders on pick and rolls. You don’t seek out Draymond Green, Joakim Noah or Keving Garnet on PNR

You very clearly have absolutely no idea whatsoever what RAPM is. I’ve repeatedly explained it to you, but yet you’re talking as if being “a better FT shooter” and “averaging more assists” somehow increases Jokic’s DRAPM. You clearly still just fundamentally have no idea what RAPM is, since you keep acting like it is a box-data-based stat. It isn’t. Racking up assist numbers has no direct effect whatsoever on RAPM. There is no part of a RAPM calculation that ever looks at assist stats or FT% or even a player’s rebounds. Read about what RAPM is. I can’t keep going around and around in a discussion about stats with someone who simply is unable to understand what the stats are at a foundational level.

Please go on and tell me what measure of defense is better than impact measures? They’re just clearly the best, since everything else is hopelessly simplistic in measuring defense. Again, please understand that “advanced” box stats (like PER, win shares, etc.) are not the same as impact data. Impact data is not weighing assists or rebounds or other box stats to spit out a number. It is isolating out the effect of an individual player on what happens to the scoreline. That’s obviously the best way to look at defense, and it is a method that completely backs what I have been asserting and contradicts your position entirely.

You can actual watch the game. Again, Jokic himself admits to not being a good defender. Is it a good metric to determine someone’s defensive impact, maybe, but there are clearly abnormalities that don’t track with the actual game and Jokic ranking so high appears to be one of those abnormalities.

Yes, I can watch the game. And I see Jokic being smart with his rotations, not making almost any mental mistakes, getting back in transition much better than most centers, being elite at getting steals and deflections, not committing many unnecessary fouls, being too strong for opponents to move in the post, and being one of the greatest defensive rebounders of his generation. He’s not a good rim protector. It’s a weakness. But he has so many huge strengths defensively that he’s still a good defender. My eye test can tell me that, and the data tells me that too. If Jokic were *also* a great rim protector, he’d be one of the greatest defenders in history. He’s not that, but he is a good defender, and that’s exactly what the data says.

And, since this part of your post was not particularly clear, to the extent you’re referring to the 2006 series against the Pistons, please note that the Cavs offense was bad in that series too. It was the same story. In that 2006 series, the Cavs scored 99.4 points per 100 possessions against a team that had given up 103.1 points per 100 possessions in the regular season. In other words, the Cavs had a genuinely bad offense in that series. So how was the series close? Well, the Cavs gave up 106.4 points per 100 possessions to a team that scored 110.8 points per 100 possessions in the regular season. So, in that series, the Cavs had a bad offense and a good defense, and the result was that the series was close. And, by the way, to the extent you might point out that the Cavs got to 7 games despite actually being outscored a good bit and that that suggests doing well in business end of close wins, please note that LeBron had a putrid 45.6% TS% in the 4th quarters of the three games Cleveland won (along with 5 turnovers). The Cavs won those close games by giving up only 52 total points combined in the 4th quarters of the three games they won (17.3 points per quarter) and overall holding the Pistons to incredibly low 98.5, 86.1, and 99.8 points per 100 possessions in those games, while the Cavs offense averaged like 100.3 points per 100 possessions—again, bad offense carried by great team defense.

I was referring to the entire season where they had an identical record to the one they had in 07. The defense wasn’t the driving force to them winning 50 games. So what was?

We’ve already been over this. They did similarly well in 2006 because their regular season offense was better in 2006 than it was in 2007. And, as I’ve said, a good deal of the credit for that goes to LeBron. But we aren’t talking about whether LeBron “carried” the 2006 Cavaliers to a pretty good regular season offense. If that were the question, maybe the answer would actually be yes (though he certainly didn’t carry them to a pretty good offense in the 2006 playoffs—where they had a below average offense)! What we are actually talking about is whether LeBron “carried” the 2007 Cavaliers to the Finals. And, the answer to that is clearly no, since the team was clearly carried by their elite defense, in which LeBron was just another cog. I don’t see how you think this point about 2006 does anything for you here at all. Your claim was about 2007 specifically, and your claim was wrong about 2007 specifically. 2006 is irrelevant here. LeBron didn’t go to the Finals in 2006.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
alebaba
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,393

Post#509 » by alebaba » Tue May 14, 2024 3:09 am

prejt wrote:Luka is the better player and that will be proven if/when they meet up in the playoffs, provided Luka is healthy, but he's better than Embiid. Much more consistent and performs in big games.

Luka has been straight ass this whole playoff.. shooting 40% fg and 23% for three
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,003

Post#510 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:26 am

CobraCommander wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:The next great one sees one of the all time greats and current best player on earth and doesn’t even hesitate to call him the best player on earth. Keep in mind Ant is playing with Towns and Rudy who both at some point thought they were better than jokic - and ant is straight up reminding everyone what every objectively already knows - Jokic is the best -

Funny how everyone except maybe Giannis calls jokic the best in the world - well Giannis, AD, Stephen A Smith, big Perk and RealGM posters.

Giannis can’t say it:.. he just can’t- jokic was behind him, ran him down and passed him… and that has to hurt. Probably good that that Giannis won’t say it so he can try to catch up.

AD can’t say it cause Lebron would slap him for being weak. Cause AD is young enough and talented enough to where he should be challenging Jokic but he isn’t and that’s odd.

SAS - I think espn and Disney told SAs who to vote for… his bosses

big Perk suffers from an ism that isn’t worth discussing.

But how can real gm people not named Eyetoma not see the reality ?

I don’t get it -

4 time mvp, champ, finals mvp, great teammate, confident leader, stays out of the off the basketball BS, legit tough guy that doesn’t start anything. Here to play basketball and go home - but if you a punk like the M-twins… well he can do that too.

What else yall want??

360 backflip dunks...?

Then and only then will they give him his due -

But Edward knows what Lebron knows what curry knows what Embiid knows - this is the best guy on earth - and is going to be in the top 15 guaranteed and he is the only one truely trending that way in the nba under 30 -

Giannis on cusp but we need more… sorry

Giannis is a top 10 all time talent...but dude's gotta stay healthy! That said Luka is certainly trending that way, but he's got a lot of years left before 30.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,976

Post#511 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue May 14, 2024 11:08 am

DimesandKnicks wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:Where are all those guys who said Jokic' doesn't have to face big defensive centers, like they had back in the 90's? Well, he's dominating the 7'2", 4-time reigning DPOY.

Like I said... Jokic can beat you in so many ways. If it's Gobert, he's drawing him out of the paint and making plays above the break... opening up the lane for his teammates and nullifying Rudy's real benefit. If it's KAT, he can abuse him in the post or kick out to shooters when the double team comes. Jokic is an entirely different type of animal than they had back in the 90s.... we done with that.

:noway: he can also hide on Gobert on the defensive end, as opposed to having to defend those guys. We’re still waiting for you to name that too end C talent that was better than that of the 90s

Gobert is the NBA all-time career leader in TS% and #2 all-time in EFG%. Let’s not pretend he’s some type of scrub offensively, when he’s literally more efficient than every big man that’s ever existed in the NBA. And Gobert isn’t even a modern big that shoots 3s, like say Turner or Lopez who would be impossible to guard back then. There… I just named 3, without even trying.

If you’re looking for unskilled scrub Cs, watch the 90s.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,106

Post#512 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue May 14, 2024 11:55 am

Dear mods,
I want to ask a question. I'm generaly not for locking treads but here are 2 that were just locked up

Luka is NOT a TOP 10 PLAYER ATM!
Jayson Tatum is like the Michael Jordan of Tobias Harrises

Somehow this one is still open. From time to time some known Jokic hater jumps up to create some BS like this. Majority of posters already know them. Majority of posters (81%) think this is BS.

So my question is what is needed to lock this sh#t up
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,155

Post#513 » by tsherkin » Tue May 14, 2024 12:33 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:Dear mods,
I want to ask a question. I'm generaly not for locking treads but here are 2 that were just locked up

Somehow this one is still open. From time to time some known Jokic hater jumps up to create some BS like this. Majority of posters already know them. Majority of posters (81%) think this is BS.

This wouldn't be the place to ask that; you'd be better off reporting the thread if you feel it should be locked, or PM'g one of the board mods.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#514 » by tsherkin » Tue May 14, 2024 12:36 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

Gobert is the NBA all-time career leader in TS% and #2 all-time in EFG%. Let’s not pretend he’s some type of scrub offensively, when he’s literally more efficient than every big man that’s ever existed in the NBA. And Gobert isn’t even a modern big that shoots 3s, like say Turner or Lopez who would be impossible to guard back then. There… I just named 3, without even trying.

But you understand why this isn't a particularly good remark, right?

Gobert IS a very good finisher, but that TS% can only really be compared to people of comparably limited offensive responsibility. He has never taken more than 8.8 FGA/g in a season... and he's a sub-70% FT shooter. He has no range to speak of but relies on a.710 FTr in order to float his efficiency. Over 41% of his shots are dunks, over 72% of his shots are assisted, and over 75% of his shots are in the RA.

There is a reason he's THAT efficient. Skill is part of it, but low volume, heavy passing support and doing almost nothing but dunking assisted buckets while getting tons of foul calls goes a long way. Overselling that to reflect offensive ability when his scoring repertoire is that limited isn't the ideal.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,296

Post#515 » by Zeno » Tue May 14, 2024 12:41 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:Dear mods,

The way it generally works around here is people post stupid stuff based on recency bias and then when the tide turns their stupidity gets bumped and people get to make fun of them and those that agreed. This goes on for a while until people start getting upset and the thread gets locked.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst

Post#516 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue May 14, 2024 12:49 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

Gobert IS a very good finisher, but that TS% can only really be compared to people of comparably limited offensive responsibility. He has never taken more than 8.8 FGA/g in a season... and he's a sub-70% FT shooter. He has no range to speak of but relies on a.710 FTr in order to float his efficiency. Over 41% of his shots are dunks, over 72% of his shots are assisted, and over 75% of his shots are in the RA.

There is a reason he's THAT efficient. Skill is part of it, but low volume, heavy passing support and doing almost nothing but dunking assisted buckets while getting tons of foul calls goes a long way. Overselling that to reflect offensive ability when his scoring repertoire is that limited isn't the ideal.

You do understand why your remark isn't particularly relevant. Gobert is basically like the absolute best version of the roll and cut bigs that existed in the 90s and KAT is a modern mobile big.... 2 opposite extremes. Yet, Jokic is dominating BOTH of them. The poster was trying to imply that after 2 games, Jokic was finally facing some talent at C that he doesn't normally see that in this weak era, and now he's stumbling. Not sure why he can't see that the talent at C is literally the opposite..... it's light years ahead of what existed in the 90s. Like 50% of those stiff Cs would be deep bench or out of the league entirely.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#517 » by tsherkin » Tue May 14, 2024 12:58 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

You do understand why your remark isn't particularly relevant.

It is relevant. You can't drop a remark like "he's literally more efficient than every big man that's ever existed in the NBA" without any kind of context and expect that to be left alone.

Gobert is a very good player, and indeed, he fills his limited role on offense quite well. He doesn't try to be anything he's not, and he's also an insane defender on top of that. My remark wasn't about crapping on Gobert, it was focused on the absence of context around the comment you made ABOUT Gobert.

The poster was trying to imply that after 2 games, Jokic was finally facing some talent at C that he doesn't normally see that in this weak era, and now he's stumbling.

I mean, defensively, sure. You don't see a 4-time DPOY that often, if only because there are only 3 of them in league history, right?

Not sure why he can't see that the talent at C is literally the opposite..... it's light years ahead of what existed in the 90s. Like 50% of those stiff Cs would be deep bench or out of the league entirely.

Center talent is back at a high point, yes. Not as much in terms of offensive focal points, but that's fine. There are a whole bunch of really good centers, and a couple of ATGs hanging out in the league at the moment, it's been awesome to watch.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,003

Post#518 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:31 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:

You do understand why your remark isn't particularly relevant. Gobert is basically like the absolute best version of the roll and cut bigs that existed in the 90s and KAT is a modern mobile big.... 2 opposite extremes. Yet, Jokic is dominating BOTH of them. The poster was trying to imply that after 2 games, Jokic was finally facing some talent at C that he doesn't normally see that in this weak era, and now he's stumbling. Not sure why he can't see that the talent at C is literally the opposite..... it's light years ahead of what existed in the 90s. Like 50% of those stiff Cs would be deep bench or out of the league entirely.

Lets back up a bit here man. Gobert is a great player, but his rocks for hands really limit his availability to get those lobs and for his teammates to set him up. He's an offensive problem in terms of spacing and opening the lanes at times. He's not the dream lob threat. Give him Shaq's hands...and he's a 20 a game monster.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst

Post#519 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue May 14, 2024 2:50 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Lets back up a bit here man. Gobert is a great player, but his rocks for hands really limit his availability to get those lobs and for his teammates to set him up. He's an offensive problem in terms of spacing and opening the lanes at times. He's not the dream lob threat. Give him Shaq's hands...and he's a 20 a game monster.

So by your reasoning, every unskilled, low usage, roll & cut big man should have at least equal or greater TS% & EFG% than Gobert. And that type of big man was the norm, until recently. Yet Gobert is the best of the best of that archetype. You basically have 2 choices in this argument: (a) admit that there was mostly no skill Cs in the 90's, or (b) admit that Gobert actually has some useful offensive skill. Either way, it renders the "Jokic isn't facing talented Cs of the 90's era" reasoning as null & void.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst

Post#520 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue May 14, 2024 2:52 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Jabroni Lames wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Rocks for hands leading to the highest TS% of any NBA player that's ever existed? So how talented does that make those 90s Cs, then? Think about it.

Return to The General Board