Safe to say, Chet "Hologram" Holgrem > Paolo Banchero

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,139

Re: Safe to say, Chet "Hologram" Holgrem > Paolo Banchero 

Post#521 » by SOUL » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:39 am

MMyhre wrote:lmao.

Did a 10 year old write this? "Wah the Magic fans who actually watch the game are defending their player from people saying he's only stats!! Chet and OKC fans are surely not doing the same exact thing on the other side! I am on the defense of the righteous and holy opinion and everyone who defends Paolo surely is 100% wrong and lives in falsehoods!! I want him to be BAD!!"

Of course both sides will look ridiculous when they're just completely dismissive to the other. The smartest thing is to actually realize what is being argued. Nobody is saying Chet can't be a #1, it's that his efficiency wouldn't be the same as a #1 with 0 spacing. Just like Paolo couldn't do what Chet is doing because of the nature of the type of player he is.
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 619

Post#522 » by MMyhre » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:46 am

SOUL wrote:

Did a 10 year old write this? "Wah the Magic fans who actually watch the game are defending their player from people saying he's only stats!! Chet and OKC fans are surely not doing the same exact thing on the other side! I am on the defense of the righteous and holy opinion and everyone who defends Paolo surely is 100% wrong and lives in falsehoods!! I want him to be BAD!!"

Of course both sides will look ridiculous when they're just completely dismissive to the other. The smartest thing is to actually realize what is being argued. Nobody is saying Chet can't be a #1, it's that his efficiency wouldn't be the same as a #1 with 0 spacing. Just like Paolo couldn't do what Chet is doing because of the nature of the type of player he is.

ZZZ its like a bad movie on repeat, I hope Paolo turns into Melo, please, please let the fame get into your head kid, your fans are garbageeeeeeeeee, sorry I doom you from now on. Magic suck

warning sent.
-Zimpy27
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#523 » by SOUL » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:47 am

MMyhre wrote:[
ZZZ its like a bad movie on repeat, I hope Paolo turns into Melo, please, please let the fame get into your head kid, your fans are garbageeeeeeeeee, sorry I doom you from now on. Magic suck

:lol: :lol: :lol:
FrightCoward
Sophomore
And1: 228

Post#524 » by FrightCoward » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:59 am

MMyhre wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Thunder fans trashed Paolo all last year as well to promote J-Dub, lol. Not our first go around with them, but yeah, Magic fans are the ones who suck.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,270

Post#525 » by tsherkin » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:09 am

Sphynx wrote:Fact of the matter is, the key addition this year to the starting lineup is Chet.

But again, you're dancing around facts. We were discussing Chet's offensive efficiency. His usage, the presence of SGA and the 3pt shooting around him all very much specifically impact that relative to the environment in which Paolo plays.

SGA's play is certainly a component, but he was absolutely balling last year also.

Yes, he was. NOt sure why you felt that a relevant remark. The point is that SGA's play is opening doors for Chet, not that someone is helping SGA...

Rather than insinuations of SGA spoonfeeding Chet points and looks.

Strawman. No one said "spoonfeeding." I just correctly identified the large difference in passing support Chet has enjoyed, and the presence of a 30/5/5 type player taking pressure off of Chet in terms of his ability to score more efficiently. These aren't really debatable issues.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#526 » by RookieStar » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:11 am

SOUL wrote:

Did he get suspended for that?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,596

Post#527 » by og15 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:15 am

RookieStar wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Well deserved if so :lol:
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#528 » by RookieStar » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:33 am

og15 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Well deserved if so :lol:

Lol
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 619

Post#529 » by MMyhre » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:27 am

SOUL wrote:

Paolo "The Goat/MVP" Banchero delivers for his nolife haram crew in tonights beef = 22 shots, 18 pts, 1-4 from 3pt and ft line with 4 turnovers, - 30 and the loss :lol: :lol:
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#530 » by SOUL » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:28 am

MMyhre wrote:Paolo "The Goat/MVP" Banchero delivers for his nolife haram crew in tonights beef = 22 shots, 18 pts, 1-4 from 3pt and ft line with 4 turnovers, - 30 and the loss :lol: :lol:

Poster goes off the rails making his personality trait hating on a player because his feelings got hurt from Orlando posters defending Paolo :lol:
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,203

Post#531 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:09 am

Lebron does not miss lefty double clutch layups. Never ever ever.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,900

Post#532 » by QPR » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:07 am

It's like the rookie thread last season in here
JT3000
Bench Warmer
And1: 242

Post#533 » by JT3000 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:36 pm

timO wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:Banchero is a #1 type. Holmgren is a great role player. Huge difference. Why is the basketball knowledge on here so low?

if banchero is a #1 type like Randle the magic will be a first round exit all of his career :lol

Chet role player :lol: role player like Olajuwon.

Chet Holmgren is Hakeem Olajuwon. You heard it here first.

Always a pleasure listening to the cerebral insights of Thunder fans.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#534 » by timO » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:23 pm

JT3000 wrote:
timO wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:Banchero is a #1 type. Holmgren is a great role player. Huge difference. Why is the basketball knowledge on here so low?

if banchero is a #1 type like Randle the magic will be a first round exit all of his career :lol

Your reading is very limited, read again and maybe u cacth It.
JT3000
Bench Warmer
And1: 242

Post#535 » by JT3000 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:44 pm

timO wrote:
JT3000 wrote:
timO wrote:

Your reading is very limited, read again and maybe u cacth It.

There's definitely something here that is very limited, but it's not my reading comprehension. :crazy:
The Servant
Senior
And1: 718

Post#536 » by The Servant » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:49 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:Comparison- KD in year #2 was 57TS% where as Paolo is at 55TS% not far off.

you need to era-adjust. .577ts for kd in 2008-09 was +.033ts relative to league average. paolo's .552ts is -.029ts relative to league average this season. that's a huge difference.

both paolo and chet are still developing. they are such different players in different situations that comparing them directly is difficult. i think you have to believe in some sort of intrinsic value of results divorced, high volume creation to prefer paolo right now. especially with the defensive gap. i'd still take chet over him.

Ok lets use Ant Edwards. 2nd year comparison 56%TS.
Jayson Tatum 54.7%TS 2nd year, didnt reach 60% until last year!
Jaylen Brown has yet to Career TS% is 57%
Luka 2nd year 58.5%TS
Devin Booker 2nd year 53%
Jamal Murry a career 56%TS
Paolo 55.2%TS this year

My point is, you are all comparing a LOW VOLUME shooter in Chet to a #1 option that takes more shots.

Rookie year he is taking 12 fga, Banchero took 15 his rookie year on a tanking team, the difference being Chet is the 2nd best player on the 3rd best team in the league. I don't know why anyone would be disappointed in a player putting up elite efficiency on a competing team because he takes shots in the flow of the offence. Some people refer to good shot selection as a part of BBIQ, which he has shown in spades. For all of the extra touches Banchero is getting he's averaging 5 more ppg on 5 more fga.

I'm not in here claiming Chet is better, I am just coming in to say if you're poo pooing because of the 12 fga that some would say that it is a good thing to be able to put up good numbers (18ppg) on good efficiency because it is the opposite of chucking. They are different players with different skill sets, no one is asking a 7'1 player with a 7'6 wingspan to be a point forward that's an offensive hub, and that is ok. It doesn't mean Chet isn't great because he isn't Jokic or Giannis on offence.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,958

Post#537 » by basketballRob » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:03 pm

The Servant wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
you need to era-adjust. .577ts for kd in 2008-09 was +.033ts relative to league average. paolo's .552ts is -.029ts relative to league average this season. that's a huge difference.

both paolo and chet are still developing. they are such different players in different situations that comparing them directly is difficult. i think you have to believe in some sort of intrinsic value of results divorced, high volume creation to prefer paolo right now. especially with the defensive gap. i'd still take chet over him.

Ok lets use Ant Edwards. 2nd year comparison 56%TS.
Jayson Tatum 54.7%TS 2nd year, didnt reach 60% until last year!
Jaylen Brown has yet to Career TS% is 57%
Luka 2nd year 58.5%TS
Devin Booker 2nd year 53%
Jamal Murry a career 56%TS
Paolo 55.2%TS this year

My point is, you are all comparing a LOW VOLUME shooter in Chet to a #1 option that takes more shots.

Rookie year he is taking 12 fga, Banchero took 15 his rookie year on a tanking team, the difference being Chet is the 2nd best player on the 3rd best team in the league. I don't know why anyone would be disappointed in a player putting up elite efficiency on a competing team because he takes shots in the flow of the offence. Some people refer to good shot selection as a part of BBIQ, which he has shown in spades. For all of the extra touches Banchero is getting he's averaging 5 more ppg on 5 more fga.

I'm not in here claiming Chet is better, I am just coming in to say if you're poo pooing because of the 12 fga that some would say that it is a good thing to be able to put up good numbers (18ppg) on good efficiency because it is the opposite of chucking. They are different players with different skill sets, no one is asking a 7'1 player with a 7'6 wingspan to be a point forward that's an offensive hub, and that is ok. It doesn't mean Chet isn't great because he isn't Jokic or Giannis on offence.
It's Chet's rookie season, but he's 7 months older than Banchero.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,025

Post#538 » by HotelVitale » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:12 pm

SOUL wrote:
MMyhre wrote: Paolo "The Goat/MVP" Banchero delivers for his nolife haram crew in tonights beef = 22 shots, 18 pts, 1-4 from 3pt and ft line with 4 turnovers, - 30 and the loss :lol: :lol:

Poster goes off the rails making his personality trait hating on a player because his feelings got hurt from Orlando posters defending Paolo :lol:

Realgm special. Still wonder what the permanent damage is to Minnesota fans' throats is from a year of screaming nothing but 'Wiggins is SO much better than Mirotic are you f'ing kidding me?!?'
msmoore66
Pro Prospect
And1: 374

Post#539 » by msmoore66 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:28 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:This thread is so weird to read haha. It’s like people are arguing just for the sake of arguing.

I’ve watched more Paolo this year than Chet, but seen a good amount of Chet this year and throughout his earlier basketball. We can cut out the extremes.

“Chet is a role player”. Dumb extreme take.
“Paolo is an inefficient offensive only player”. Dumb extreme take.

Chet has pretty advanced shot creation for a 7’1 21 year old. Is he asked to do it as often and is it as advanced as Paolo’s? No. But doesn’t mean he doesn’t have any shot creating ability.

When it comes to Paolo. 55 TS% for a 2nd year on ball high volume creator isn’t bad at all. Then you also need to factor in Paolo is dealing with one of the worst spacing teams in the league (pretty sure they’re bottom 3 in both 3pt makes and %). And someone like myself who was very weary about his defensive potential coming into the league. 2nd year in and he’s not even a bad defender anymore. Is he elite? Nope, is he hurting his team? Nope.

Sometimes the most simple answer is the correct answer. Both guys are very good. They have different skill sets. Players can be impactful with different kinds of skill sets. They both went to a team that fits and needed their skill sets. If ORL had a redraft today, they would take Paolo with no hesitation. If OKC had a redraft and the #1 pick today, they would take Chet with no hesitation.

Not everything had to be turned into an argument for argument sake.

Quality post. Will largely be ignored though unfortunately.
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,350

Post#540 » by WestGOAT » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:40 am

This is not even Chet's final form, despite having crazy impact as a rookie. Top 20 all time potential.
spotted in Bologna

Return to The General Board