Has Anthony Edwards been the Best Player in these Playoffs so far?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,054

Re: Has Anthony Edwards been the Best Player in these Playoffs so far? 

Post#61 » by thinktank » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:08 am

docholliday99 wrote:An ever changing order...

1- Jokic
2- Embiid
3- Doncic
4- SGA
5- Lillard
6- Tatum
7- Pascal
8- Ant
9- Davis
10- Lebron

No Gobert is crazy.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Post#62 » by HMFFL » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:06 am

Tomtolbert wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
Tomtolbert wrote:He's been terrific, but it's not clear cut that he's been the best player on his team.
Sometimes we all just need a good laugh.

Thank you Tom

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Strong reply from the poster who thinks Edwards will be "far superior" to Dwyane Wade.
I watched Wade's entire career. Anthony Edwards still has time to win a regular season MVP but Wade doesn't. Just because I don't view Wade as elite as you do doesn't mean I don't acknowledge how great he was.

Tomtolbert
Sophomore
And1: 184

Post#63 » by Tomtolbert » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:12 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Tomtolbert wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Sometimes we all just need a good laugh.

Thank you Tom

Strong reply from the poster who thinks Edwards will be "far superior" to Dwyane Wade.
I watched Wade's entire career. Anthony Edwards still has time to win a regular season MVP but Wade doesn't. Just because I don't view Wade as elite as you do doesn't mean I don't acknowledge how great he was.

How many shooting guards all time do you think peaked higher than Wade?
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,968

Post#64 » by HotelVitale » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:23 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Slimjimzv wrote:
I think I'd say Luka over Maxey, and I wouldn't consider AD after his massive failure in the 4th quarter of game 2.

I didn't even think of Maxey as having played that well this PO, then checked his stat line and it is pretty sweet. Feel like he definitely has another gear in him, he's been really streaky so far and has had some cold snaps too. Not saying he's playing at his basement (he's definitely capable of worse shooting than what he's done), just that I don't think he's actually been that dominant or great so far.

Yeah Maxey has felt streaky, but those stretches where things are clicking, he can obliterate a tough New York defense for several possessions. New York's favorite defensive move is "throw OG on someone" and Maxey is just too fast for that matchup to consistently work.

It's a weird series where Embiid and Maxey are dominating the battle of halfcourt offense, but New York is winning the little things.

NY's role players are also doing something/anything on offense, while the Sixers guys weren't at all until we got a good couple quarters from Payne and Oubre last game.

Maxey has been good, but he's been so random and he hasn't been able to steadily make stuff happen that it's hard to call him great in these PO. He's a streak player but his streaks usually last longer, like 1-1.5 quarters, which is long enough the defense has to adjust and something else opens up. A lot of that's the PO and the Knicks but some is that he hasn't had a real Maxey heater yet (though he also hasn't had a 3/13 stinker either).
docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 942

Post#65 » by docholliday99 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:29 pm

thinktank wrote:

1- Jokic
2- Embiid
3- Doncic
4- SGA
5- Lillard
6- Tatum
7- Pascal
8- Ant
9- Davis
10- Lebron

No Gobert is crazy.

I like Gobert, but I have a hard time putting him above those players listed. Davis is probably too low, maybe Lebron as well but tough to move up. I do tend to lean to more 2 way play but Lillard has looked like Portland Lillard and couldn't keep him off my list.

That 10 is subjective opinion, so if you can make a case to put Gobert above any of these players, I probably overlooked something (which wouldn't shock me). Only 3-4 games in, I expect the order or inclusion/dropping of others to change every game.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,290

Post#66 » by shrink » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:46 pm

docholliday99 wrote:
thinktank wrote:

1- Jokic
2- Embiid
3- Doncic
4- SGA
5- Lillard
6- Tatum
7- Pascal
8- Ant
9- Davis
10- Lebron

No Gobert is crazy.

I like Gobert, but I have a hard time putting him above those players listed. Davis is probably too low, maybe Lebron as well but tough to move up. I do tend to lean to more 2 way play but Lillard has looked like Portland Lillard and couldn't keep him off my list.

That 10 is subjective opinion, so if you can make a case to put Gobert above any of these players, I probably overlooked something (which wouldn't shock me). Only 3-4 games in, I expect the order or inclusion/dropping of others to change every game.

Yes. Defense.

The Timberwolves have held the Suns, with KD, Booker and Beal, to under 100. Twice. Yes, Gobert has good perimeter defenders, but he is the DPOY. He influences the game not just through his own play, but by calling out defensive rotations the whole game to help his teammates.
docholliday99
Sixth Man

Post#67 » by docholliday99 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:12 pm

shrink wrote:
docholliday99 wrote:
thinktank wrote:
No Gobert is crazy.

Yes. Defense.

The Timberwolves have held the Suns, with KD, Booker and Beal, to under 100. Twice. Yes, Gobert has good perimeter defenders, but he is the DPOY. He influences the game not just through his own play, but by calling out defensive rotations the whole game to help his teammates.

I agree he's had a tremendous defensive impact, and something we're all aware of, but Minnesota as a team has been impressive on the defensive end, Ant, Conley, Daniels etc; I actually believe Ant has been their best player on both ends, he's really caused issues for KD, Booker and Beal, so for those reasons, I still can't put Gobert above the ones I've listed.

Maybe in the second round that will change when the Wolves face a real challenge. Denver will actually pose a problem on the defensive end and we'll get to see what Gobert will do against Jokic; and we know that Gobert won't stop Jokic defensively, so what will he do offensively to offset that (which has been Gobert's kryptonite).
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,290

Post#68 » by shrink » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:53 pm

docholliday99 wrote:
shrink wrote:
docholliday99 wrote:

Yes. Defense.

I agree he's had a tremendous defensive impact, and something we're all aware of, but Minnesota as a team has been impressive on the defensive end, Ant, Conley, Daniels etc; I actually believe Ant has been their best player on both ends, he's really caused issues for KD, Booker and Beal, so for those reasons, I still can't put Gobert above the ones I've listed.

Maybe in the second round that will change when the Wolves face a real challenge. Denver will actually pose a problem on the defensive end and we'll get to see what Gobert will do against Jokic; and we know that Gobert won't stop Jokic defensively, so what will he do offensively to offset that (which has been Gobert's kryptonite).

Ok, there are several things wrong here.

First, Ant has had a good defensive series, and he’s a better defensive player than people generally give him credit for. But Ant has not been their best player on both ends - he’s not a better defender than Gobert or Jaden “Daniels.”

Second, before the playoffs, everyone said PHX’s offense would be a big challenge for MIN. No defense can shut down everything, but MIN takes away three pointers and points at the rim, so they leave mid-range shots less defended. The Suns have two of the best mid-range shooters in the NBA, and for Booker and KD, a two-pointer can be an analytics-positive shot. The Suns are (were?) a real challenge and posed a specific defensive problem for MIN’s style of defense - it’s just a challenge they overcame.

Third, Gobert does not guard Jokic. MIN puts Towns on him. Now, nobody stops Jokic, but KAT’s length does surprisingly well at making it harder for Jokic to feed his teammates, and it forces him to become more of a scorer. Even better, having KAT on Jokic leaves Gobert free to “cover” Aaron Gordon, and stay near the paint as a help defender.

Finally, Rudy has averaged 17 PPG on an eFG% of .727. He’s even made 19-of-22 free throws. He doesn’t have to outscored Jokic anyway, but offense has not been his kryptonite.
Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,994

Post#69 » by Eagle4 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:06 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Tomtolbert wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Sometimes we all just need a good laugh.

Thank you Tom

It's doubtful Ant wins MVP over stat stuffers like Jokic, Giannis and Luka imo. The only reason Wade didn't win MVP was because his prime/peak coincided with a player some consider the GOAT and literally the 2nd greatest SG ever and top 12 player ever in Kobe. So yea Ant may face a similar fate but I wouldn't really use 0 regular season mvps as some barometer. I mean Wade won FINALS Mvp his 3rd season in the league and then got a part of his career derailed by injuries.

In fact Wade was ON pace to win regular season mvp, the year after Heat won a title, then he dislocated his shoulder.
docholliday99
Sixth Man

Post#70 » by docholliday99 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:07 pm

shrink wrote:
docholliday99 wrote:
shrink wrote:Yes. Defense.

Ok, there are several things wrong here.

First, Ant has had a good defensive series, and he’s a better defensive player than people generally give him credit for. But Ant has not been their best player on both ends - he’s not a better defender than Gobert or Jaden “Daniels.”

Second, before the playoffs, everyone said PHX’s offense would be a big challenge for MIN. No defense can shut down everything, but MIN takes away three pointers and points at the rim, so they leave mid-range shots less defended. The Suns have two of the best mid-range shooters in the NBA, and for Booker and KD, a two-pointer can be an analytics-positive shot. The Suns are (were?) a real challenge and posed a specific defensive problem for MIN’s style of defense - it’s just a challenge they overcame.

Third, Gobert does not guard Jokic. MIN puts Towns on him. Now, nobody stops Jokic, but KAT’s length does surprisingly well at making it harder for Jokic to feed his teammates, and it forces him to become more of a scorer. Even better, having KAT on Jokic leaves Gobert free to “cover” Aaron Gordon, and stay near the paint as a help defender.

Finally, Rudy has averaged 17 PPG on an eFG% of .727. He’s even made 19-of-22 free throws. He doesn’t have to outscored Jokic anyway, but offense has not been his kryptonite.

That's a lot of defense for a one way player for stuff that hasn't happened yet. As for Ant, didn't say he was a better defensive player, just that he's been fantastic in 3 games, tops for what he's doing and like you mentioned, there are a lot of top defensive players on that team - which is why Minny is tough on that end; starts with Conley and ends with Gobert. We'll see, and again it's a subjective list. Nothing wrong with it or your opinion.

Actually, after the NY/76ers game, need room from Brunson in that top 10, bounces someone out of it with how he's picked up his play, especially after today - wowzers! No back down from him or the Knicks.
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,234

Post#71 » by firedavidkahn » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:25 am

SeanieWard wrote:
firedavidkahn wrote:
Tomtolbert wrote:He's been terrific, but it's not clear cut that he's been the best player on his team.

There is no way someone who has watched the Wolves this post season could say that with a straight face.

1000000000000000% a box score watcher

How? He had a 3/12 game in Game 2. How has he been better than Jokic? Maxey? Embiid? Hell, I'm not even sure he's been better than AD individually but his team is winning and AD's is not.

I love Ant but I really hope he doesn't start getting overrated smh

WELP :lol:
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,722

Post#72 » by Infinite Llamas » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:28 am

Nothing wrong with being second best
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 1,234

Post#73 » by firedavidkahn » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:31 am

Completes the sweep absolutely dominating the 4th quarter

40 points (13-23)
9 rebounds
6 asists
1 steal
2 blocks

Dagger of a dunk (over Beal & KD!) to put the game away and complete the sweep

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1784797214197649561%7Ctwgr%5E98cc4e37cecb3f2763b13a178a4c8391b7a6de26%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fposting.php%3Fmode%3Dreplyf%3D6t%3D2374400preview
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,726

Post#74 » by Benedict_Boozer » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:32 am

I love him - his game is legit on both ends, future MVP talent
SeanieWard
Senior
And1: 501

Post#75 » by SeanieWard » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:35 am

firedavidkahn wrote:
SeanieWard wrote:
firedavidkahn wrote:There is no way someone who has watched the Wolves this post season could say that with a straight face.

1000000000000000% a box score watcher

How? He had a 3/12 game in Game 2. How has he been better than Jokic? Maxey? Embiid? Hell, I'm not even sure he's been better than AD individually but his team is winning and AD's is not.

Lmao now he's in that discussion and probably at the top :lol:

This is the type of performance that gets you there. Like I said I love Edwards but after 3 games there were guys playing better than him
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,652

Post#76 » by Jaqua92 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:43 am

SeanieWard wrote:
firedavidkahn wrote:
SeanieWard wrote:

This is the type of performance that gets you there. Like I said I love Edwards but after 3 games there were guys playing better than him

Jokic is aving 30/15/10 on 70%ts

People are gobbling up this Wolves team. Hilarious
SeanieWard
Senior
And1: 501

Post#77 » by SeanieWard » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:46 am

Jaqua92 wrote:
SeanieWard wrote:
firedavidkahn wrote:WELP :lol:

Jokic is aving 30/15/10 on 70%ts

People are gobbling up this Wolves team. Hilarious

Yea Jokic is the best player in the league. Ant is moving up the ladder especially after a game like tonite but I think everyone who loves the NBA loves Ant so it's easy to try to insert him as the best prematurely
bushybrah_
Sixth Man
And1: 1,390

Post#78 » by bushybrah_ » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:51 am

Wow.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 952

Post#79 » by bubonicphoniks » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:20 am

Jes

Return to The General Board