Denver's backcourt struggles could cost them as the playoffs continue

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,760

Re: Denver's backcourt struggles could cost them as the playoffs continue 

Post#61 » by Ice Man » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:32 am

Woodsanity wrote:Jamal has been really really bad. Think he is hurt

This is why I don't pay much attention to ring counters when there are discussions of a player's greatness. Jokic won't win a title this year if Murray keeps playing like this. On the other hand, if playoff Murray shows up, Jokic will likely win his second ring. Which means that people who measure Jokic's legacy by how many championships his teams win will be scoring 2024 Jokic not not on how he plays, but instead on how Murray plays.

That does not make sense.
ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 1,035

Post#62 » by ScrantonBulls » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:48 am

I made a thread about Murray recently. I just don't think it's realistic to expect him to play way above his regular season norm. "Playoff Murray" is an outlier, albeit with a decent sample size. He was bound to come back to earth. He can't keep up the gaudy playoff numbers that are WAY better than his regular season numbers.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Post#63 » by Cubbies2120 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:48 am

Ice Man wrote:

This is why I don't pay much attention to ring counters when there are discussions of a player's greatness. Jokic won't win a title this year if Murray keeps playing like this. On the other hand, if playoff Murray shows up, Jokic will likely win his second ring. Which means that people who measure Jokic's legacy by how many championships his teams win will be scoring 2024 Jokic not not on how he plays, but instead on how Murray plays.

That does not make sense.

If Murray (a glorified Jamal Crawford) plays the rest of the playoffs this badly and the Nuggets still win a title, this would have to be considered the greatest carry job in NBA history by Jokic because he's essentially being dragged down by an overhyped faux star teammate.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,427

Post#64 » by Woodsanity » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 am

Murray has had a TS% of 44% in the playoffs.

This is way below his norm let alone his "playoff version".
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
Lala870
Starter
And1: 1,487

Post#65 » by Lala870 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:24 am

ScrantonBulls wrote:

I made a thread about Murray recently. I just don't think it's realistic to expect him to play way above his regular season norm. "Playoff Murray" is an outlier, albeit with a decent sample size. He was bound to come back to earth. He can't keep up the gaudy playoff numbers that are WAY better than his regular season numbers.

Not only this but anyone who watched denver games regularly pre bubble knows how injury prone/streaky he is. If I was Denver GM he would have been traded ages ago. You just cant build around those type of outliers you mention

It looks genius right now due to denver winning the chip, but im curious how the rest of these playoffs look
Al Harrington is my inspiration for weed entrepreneurship!
TheShow2021
Junior
And1: 557

Post#66 » by TheShow2021 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:23 am

The Murray stuff is more concerning considering this will probably be his easiest matchup. Other than Dallas perhaps, all the likely matchups should do a better job of defending him. MIN, OKC, LAC, DAL, BOS
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,756

Post#67 » by Revived » Sun May 5, 2024 4:12 am

Anyone else think Murray might be injured or something? I feel like he has not looked right at all in any playoff game so far really. He was good in the 4th qtr of the game 2 against the lakers but that was really it.

He’s too good of a player for these sub 20 pt showings.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,388

Post#68 » by HotRocks34 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:06 am

Revived wrote:Anyone else think Murray might be injured or something? I feel like he has not looked right at all in any playoff game so far really. He was good in the 4th qtr of the game 2 against the lakers but that was really it.

He’s too good of a player for these sub 20 pt showings.

He has a bad calf
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 956

Post#69 » by LaLover11 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:49 am

Poor Murray had to go Super Saiyan to beat LeBron and AD. Now he's toast and can't help Jokic vs Edwards
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,756

Post#70 » by Revived » Tue May 7, 2024 3:45 am

LaLover11 wrote:Poor Murray had to go Super Saiyan to beat LeBron and AD. Now he's toast and can't help Jokic vs Edwards

He really wasn’t great against Denver except for game 2 second half. So idk about “super saiyan” really, Lakers are just a very easy matchup for Denver that they can win even with their best players not playing all that great.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Post#71 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:56 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:KCP was better in Game 4 against LA but they got nothing from Braun or Jackson and Murray took 23 shots to get 22 points and had a 5/4 assist to turnover ratio.

This team is not as good as last year's team, at least not so far in the postseason.

They are missing Brown badly and Murray has to pick it up.

Murray isn't an All Star because trying hard for 1/4 quarters isn't enough.

This was clear to anyone who doesn't have an agenda of trying to prop up Jokic's teammates in order to deflate Jokic's greatness.

Last year was a title won in fashion similar to the 03 Spurs, 11 Mavs, and 95 Rockets. It was a one man show who shouldered the burden of overcoming legend after legend.

What he can't do is win with teammates that play like absolute bums. None of them are great players, but they're at least average at their position. When they play way below average (i.e. Murray) we get results like tonight's game where a 33/14/14 effort is wasted due to boneheaded plays by the supposed "second star".

This is going to age like fine wine. Call me Mystic Mac because I predict deez tings.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,388

Post#72 » by HotRocks34 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:58 am

Murray is hurt, so he gets a pass.

But the backcourt is not championship level.

I like KCP but maybe you let him go and try to get an Edwards Stopper in his place.

Mal is Mal. But relying too heavily on him is folly, as we're seeing now. You need more guys to rely on, like Brown could be last year.

Booth has a lot to do.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
TinmanZBoy
General Manager
And1: 4,850

Post#73 » by TinmanZBoy » Tue May 7, 2024 4:04 am

mpj is still limited on attacking rims