Shams Bomb: Jason Kidd signed to multi year extension

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,779

Re: Shams Bomb: Jason Kidd signed to multi year extension 

Post#61 » by Harry Garris » Mon May 6, 2024 5:29 pm

The Mavs front office for years has so consistently made these rushed and overly reactionary decisions, no matter who the GM is. So it’s hard not to imagine that Cuban was meddling again.
Ridicululz
Rookie
And1: 1,714

Post#62 » by Ridicululz » Mon May 6, 2024 5:30 pm

Really surprised they didn't at least wait until after their next series. I'm wondering if they discussed this beforehand with Luka and Kyrie at least. Maybe they gave the okay so they just pulled the trigger.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,939

Post#63 » by Nate505 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:33 pm

Let's all enjoy the comments!

Dubnation
Analyst
And1: 3,475

Post#64 » by Dubnation » Mon May 6, 2024 5:38 pm

dirkforpres wrote:The players love him and Cuban loves him. Everyone could see this coming from a mile away, even during the losing streak a few months ago.

...and they'r still playing well in the playoffs. I don't get the slander. RGM is nuts.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,179

Post#65 » by UcanUwill » Mon May 6, 2024 5:45 pm

CoP wrote:
robbie84 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:What exactly wrong with Kidd? People say he can't coach, ok, thats not a point, its a conclusion. Can we hear your points first? Why is his system bad exactly?

I know that he had some very very odd decisions, like ordering his guy to miss a FT while up 3, because he was afraid of 3+1 play... He just said he would rather take away Hardens step back than a floater, which, I am not sure it was even honest take and not a misdirection. But those are just surface takes that we all understand. The real schemes, his ability to maintain morale, all that is either not known to me, or honestly goes over my head. And I know I am not the only one, because I often spot guys who claim coach sucks, but in reality, they have no idea what exactly they even watching, outside of rotations. Like yes, we all either played sports, or at least played sport simulators, we all know what rotations are, we all can sub guys in 2K. When guy cliché rants about coach, but only mentions rotations, I just walk away.

His defensive awareness/understanding is very, very poor. Yeah they've improved with the trade additions, but Gafford looked awful defensively against Zubac in the first round.

Kidd just doesn't appear to have the Mavs connected on D. They send traps all game, but their defensive rotations are just awful away from the ball. Kidd doesn't have them on the same page and he doesn't demand enough force from his players on the defensive end. Luka, Kyrie, Exum etc all jogging up the floor and not picking up their players early enough, aswell as basic stuff like poor foot positioning and not pressuring the ball.
This will be mistaken for homerism on my part, but
compare the defense of the Mavs to that of the Celtics in their series vs Miami. The C's guards White and Holiday made Herro's life a complete misery except for one game. Herro was visibly p#%$@ off at how badly he was getting owned by the Celtics guards.
Compare the Celtics ball pressure and relentlessness on getting over screens and making the extra effort to channel opponents into waiting help- it's amazing to watch.

You can't compare the perimeter defense of the Celtics to the Mavs. Personnel matters. The Mavs have Luka and Kyrie. They are ok when they put in effort. The Celtics have two of the best perimeter D guards in the league.

I dont think there is a coach who can turn any Mavs guard into Jrue Holiday, its a pretty ridiculous expectation. I am not necessarily defend Kidd, but it seems like players under him play up to their strengths, Luka and Irving doing what they know best, and there were thousands of scenarios were that fit fails completely, Gafford making 20 field goals in a row, NCAA roleplayer from last year looks great, even Exum found a place. For what it has, I am not sure you can blame coaching for not at least utilizing the talent.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,631

Post#66 » by Alatan » Mon May 6, 2024 5:47 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:Well deserved. How many coaches in this league have actually kept Kyrie happy? Give Kidd his respect…

Is he a coach or a nanny? :nonono:
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,701

Post#67 » by CoP » Mon May 6, 2024 5:57 pm

Alatan wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:Well deserved. How many coaches in this league have actually kept Kyrie happy? Give Kidd his respect…

Is he a coach or a nanny? :nonono:

He's the not the one who decided to sign Kyrie. He does deserve some credit for integrating him. There used to be a thread nearly every week about Kyrie's various antics when he was in Boston and New York.

How much of that change is Kyrie maturing and realizing he didn't have many opportunities left, and how much of it was Kidd, we'll never know. Maybe Kidd helped make Kyrie aware of that.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,179

Post#68 » by UcanUwill » Mon May 6, 2024 5:59 pm

Ridicululz wrote:Really surprised they didn't at least wait until after their next series. I'm wondering if they discussed this beforehand with Luka and Kyrie at least. Maybe they gave the okay so they just pulled the trigger.

I think its been mentioned, but team really likes him, and he was targeted by other teams (both LA teams were interested). It is not about winning previous series, its not reactionary like that, they already know they like him and they just wanted to be sure to secure Kidd for themselves.

NBA coaching is different, is it harder or easier its up for a debate, but yes, NBA head coach kind off needs to be a nanny. Star players in this league are so good, ultimately they will sway games more than any coach, and from your coach, first you just want to be sure stars like him, and like his approach. Euro or college ball is more about actual strategies and schemes, but it is much less about dealing with personalities. Jasikevicius can say whatever he wants as coach, worst case scenario - Nick Calathes and Nigel Hayes checks out. While those are good players, you can always replace even Nigel Hayes or Calathes. On the other hand, there is only one Luka on the entire planet. Luka likes the guy - he stays. If Luka hated him, he could have been Phil Jackson, he would still be gone.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#69 » by WentzerWuver » Mon May 6, 2024 6:03 pm

rapstarter wrote:Why not wait until the end of the playoffs?
Then, he would have joined the Lakers for alot more or did you not get the memo?
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,568

Post#70 » by MrGoat » Mon May 6, 2024 6:05 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Hahahaha. This guy is the Rasputin whisperer to players, probably the closest thing to a pure “player’s coach” we’ve ever seen. Giannis would’ve died for this man in Milwaukee and when he was an assistant on the Lakers they all loved him.

I’m not sure how and why he connects so well with players despite being a mediocre at best coach (imo) but he clearly has the same gifts that allowed him to lead NBA teams for decades.

There's a Doc Riversy element to him. He even sometimes publicly throws his own players under the bus but they still like him
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,701

Post#71 » by CoP » Mon May 6, 2024 6:05 pm

Kidd also deserves some credit for how involved in the offense he made Gafford as a roll man. Ditto with Washington in transition offense.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,900

Post#72 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 6, 2024 6:07 pm

As Mavrelous pointed out in the Mavs board, Cuban is not thanked. Seems like he really is an afterthought now in the Mavs organization.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1787538573320696273%7Ctwgr%5Eef8d13eec94328287e3b8fbd6e7e82548427de7c%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2362033start%3D60
dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,337

Post#73 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:13 pm

People have this complete hate for Kidd as a coach, but they have about 10% insight into how a coach runs a team. You ask them what schemes they run, how they prepare for rotations, how he motivates Lively when his mother just died, how he gets Luka to play defense, how Kyrie suddenly is an asset, etc. and they have no clue.

I'm not saying Jason Kidd is a great coach, not even good. I'm saying fans have no clue how a coach runs the team, but the GM and owner do. So take what fans say with a grain of salt.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,385

Post#74 » by Chuck Everett » Mon May 6, 2024 6:21 pm

MrGoat wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:Hahahaha. This guy is the Rasputin whisperer to players, probably the closest thing to a pure “player’s coach” we’ve ever seen. Giannis would’ve died for this man in Milwaukee and when he was an assistant on the Lakers they all loved him.

I’m not sure how and why he connects so well with players despite being a mediocre at best coach (imo) but he clearly has the same gifts that allowed him to lead NBA teams for decades.

There's a Doc Riversy element to him. He even sometimes publicly throws his own players under the bus but they still like him

Jason Kidd is also a HOF point guard who played at an MVP level multiple years and took two teams (as the unquestioned best player) to the Finals. He also won Olympic gold medals with Team USA. His playing career garners their respect. Doc Rivers wishes his basketball career was as good as JKidd. And I say all that to say, I couldn't stand him when he was playing because of his off-the-court stuff. But I can admit the man was a maestro on the court.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,568

Post#75 » by MrGoat » Mon May 6, 2024 6:26 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
MrGoat wrote:

Jason Kidd is also a HOF point guard who played at an MVP level multiple years and took two teams (as the unquestioned best player) to the Finals. He also won Olympic gold medals with Team USA. His playing career garners their respect. Doc Rivers wishes his basketball career was as good as JKidd. And I say all that to say, I couldn't stand him when he was playing because of his off-the-court stuff. But I can admit the man was a maestro on the court.

I'm just talking as a coach, we all know Doc Rivers has no comparison to Kidd as a player. Though Doc did make an All Star game which aside from Kidd is not something many other coaches can say, Chauncey Billups is the only other one that comes to mind
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,247

Post#76 » by Zeno » Mon May 6, 2024 7:46 pm

I’m not a fan of these mid-season/playoff extensions. Just handle this kind of thing in the off-season.
But I guess he deserves it. I’m not going to pretend like I know if he’s doing a good job. There seems to be harmony within the team and they are doing reasonably well for their talent, so why not?
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,684

Post#77 » by Forbes » Mon May 6, 2024 7:47 pm

Tottery wrote:
Forbes wrote:Damn doubled down on him. A little surprised especially this early.

To be honest my MAIN issue with kid is he like to let the team figure it out and play through runs. A LOT of times the runs put us in a position where we are clawing to come back. If he would call a timeout at the right time we literally wouldn’t be in those positions and it happens often.

One thing I can say is when he has the personnel he can definitely get top defense out of the players.

Offensively, he needs help from an assistant coach that can bring some versatility.

Funny enough, your issue is the reason why the Lakers let their coach go. I kind of respect that the Mavs are giving him time to grow and be better instead of ditching him at the first sign of an issue. He picked his staff well and the roster did improve at the trade deadline. That doesn't hurt.

I’m not too upset because now he’ll have an offseason with that main core. If they can get PJ to become a consistent 3 point shooter on top of everything else they become extremely dangerous.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,448

Post#78 » by robbie84 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:25 am

Double post
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,448

Post#79 » by robbie84 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:27 am

Forbes wrote:
robbie84 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:What exactly wrong with Kidd? People say he can't coach, ok, thats not a point, its a conclusion. Can we hear your points first? Why is his system bad exactly?

I know that he had some very very odd decisions, like ordering his guy to miss a FT while up 3, because he was afraid of 3+1 play... He just said he would rather take away Hardens step back than a floater, which, I am not sure it was even honest take and not a misdirection. But those are just surface takes that we all understand. The real schemes, his ability to maintain morale, all that is either not known to me, or honestly goes over my head. And I know I am not the only one, because I often spot guys who claim coach sucks, but in reality, they have no idea what exactly they even watching, outside of rotations. Like yes, we all either played sports, or at least played sport simulators, we all know what rotations are, we all can sub guys in 2K. When guy cliché rants about coach, but only mentions rotations, I just walk away.

His defensive awareness/understanding is very, very poor. Yeah they've improved with the trade additions, but Gafford looked awful defensively against Zubac in the first round.

Kidd just doesn't appear to have the Mavs connected on D. They send traps all game, but their defensive rotations are just awful away from the ball. Kidd doesn't have them on the same page and he doesn't demand enough force from his players on the defensive end. Luka, Kyrie, Exum etc all jogging up the floor and not picking up their players early enough, aswell as basic stuff like poor foot positioning and not pressuring the ball.
This will be mistaken for homerism on my part, but
compare the defense of the Mavs to that of the Celtics in their series vs Miami. The C's guards White and Holiday made Herro's life a complete misery except for one game. Herro was visibly p#%$@ off at how badly he was getting owned by the Celtics guards.
Compare the Celtics ball pressure and relentlessness on getting over screens and making the extra effort to channel opponents into waiting help- it's amazing to watch.

You do realize that Holiday and White are two of the best defenders in the league on the perimeter right? Not to mention Tatum isn’t a slouch on Defense.

The Mavs don’t have anyone of that caliber on defense so they make do with what they have. Comparing the two teams defense doesn’t make sense my man.

Trust that no coach can come in and turn Luka and Kyrie into that level of defender. They have to actually put in the effort themself.

It's not just about the caliber of defender, it's about the effort and the basic coaching to get these guys to understand what to do on the weak side when you send a trap or a double at the Clippers ball handlers. It's about giving Gafford basic fundamental guidelines for cutting off the baseline and forcing Zubac to come back into the help defender. There is simply ZERO defensive urgency on Kidd's part- and even with these guys who are average/below average defenders, they could be making opponents work much harder for buckets and take harder, contested shots with some slight adjustments.
There is really poor effort on the defensive end and that comes from a lack of discipline from Kidd- the dude is simply an AWFUL defensive coach and his offense is carried by two absolutely elite offensive players. What does the guy do as a coach that makes these guys better? An AAU coach could teach these guys better defense in all seriousness.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,900

Post#80 » by ChipotleWest » Tue May 7, 2024 12:34 am

Luka doesn't have to be an all world defender, but teams were singling him out in pick n rolls and eating him alive, now he can hold his own. That's all he needs to do.

Return to The General Board