Austin Rivers on NBA vs NFL players

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Do you agree with Rivers?

Yes
54%
No, just the NFL players could do it
2%
No, both sides could pull it off
5%
No, neither side could pull it off
39%

Total votes: 103

ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,509

Re: Austin Rivers on NBA vs NFL players 

Post#61 » by ellobo » Wed May 8, 2024 4:25 pm

nbanfldeg wrote:The biggest issue for the NFL players switching to the NBA is the height differences. Unless the NFL players have above-average ball-handling skills, they won't be able to make it in the league as wing players/guards. Not many are tall enough to be big men.

Think of an athletic freak like Myles Garrett. He's listed at 6'4", which he could MAYBE get away with as a SF, but what would his role be? Maybe some of the taller NFL players (6'5"/6'6" guys) could play PF as their strength could help them on the boards boxing out.

As for NBA players, guards can be thrown around at WR, CB, TE as 6'1"-6'4" athletes. They'd have the learning curve of understanding everything but they're not at that immediate size disadvantage like NFL players. A guy like Marcus Smart/PJ Tucker can probably be RBs, Safeties, or LBs with their builds too. Imagine Kenny Lofton if he focused on football. A lot more feasible transitions for NBA to NFL.

A different Kenny Lofton (not the current player) was a two sport star in basketball and baseball. He played and started a lot of games for the Sean Elliott era University of Arizona basketball team, was a rotation player on a Final Four team and a starter for a Sweet 16 team. He then went on play major league baseball for 17 seasons (6x all-star and 4x gold glove center fielder).
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,186

Post#62 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 8, 2024 4:43 pm

P.S. F1 is most definitely a sport, I hate when people say its not a sport.

Because they don't run with their legs, doesnt mean its not a sport. Arguably the most physically demanding sport even. My boss once took us to rally track for atraction, and we had to experience what is like to drive rally conditions on passenger seat, that was one of the most physically sick, by all definitions of the word, experiences I ever had. Now image driving a track for two hours 190 mile speed. There is a reason why we do not get women in F1 and why they lose 10 pounds after a race, the toll on your body is enourmous, and the skill and natural talent of concentration and quickness, to me is more impressive than JJ Watts vertical jump. These guys need to do Astronaut training and like jockies, they need to weight as less as possible since every ounce in F1 matters. Guys like Albon and Kubica had natural disadvantage because they were around 6'1 6'2, and for men, thats not tall at all anymore, but for F1 driver thats tall, because you need to be as strong while as light as possible. Schumacher and Hamilton weren't 5'9 even, and their physical shape, they could probably run a marathon with no problem.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,056

Post#63 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed May 8, 2024 4:49 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:The comparison basically always comes with the caveat that the basketball players have to add 30-50 pounds which at that size they’d no longer be functional NBA players rendering the whole thing kinda meaningless

This is wrong, plenty of guard sized players are around the same height and weight as defensive backs and wide receivers. The average height and weight of DBs is 5'10" 190lbs, which opens the door to plenty of NBA PGs. The NBA to NFL transition for most players would take place at DB, WR and TE especially for the undersized power forwards.

Lou Dort would be someone every NFL team would give a workout to.

NBA players are too small to play TE, and not skilled or fast enough to play gadget WR which is the only size bucket they would fit in. The idea of any NBA player dropping in to a professional defense skill position and not making a complete fool of themselves is a joke

The problem with your argument is that we've seen guys cross over from basketball to playing TE. Sure, plenty of NBA players are too small to play TE, but your position was that NBA players would need to add 30-50 pounds when that's not true.

Average size of NFL TE 6'4" 249lbs

David Roddy - 6'5" 255lbs
Xavier Tillman - 6'7" 245lbs
PJ Tucker - 6'5" 245lbs
Zion - 6'6" 285lbs
Ish Wainwright - 6'5" 250lbs
Kobe Brown - 6'7" 250lbs

These guys are all the body types of TEs, and in Zion's case he has the overwhelming athleticism that would make him an outlier at that position (Or edge rusher). I want to circle back to David Roddy because he in particular is someone you could probably drop onto an NFL team right now, give him a year or two of development and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ended up a high quality TE. He was a D1 QB prospect coming out of high school, the people that fall into this body type range are extremely rare, those with his athleticism are even more rare.

You made the point that NBA guys would need to gain 30-50lbs, which was ridiculous, the average NFL WR is 6'0" 200lbs, the giants and tall guys at that position today are all within 6'3" - 6"5 and 200-230lbs, basically the vast majority of players today fall into that height and weight range. Jalen Suggs (he played football) is the same exact height and weight as AT Perry, Anthony Edwards is the same size as Allen Lazard, Marcus Smart at his heaviest weight was 240lbs which is 9lbs heavier than Mike Evans while being an inch shorter. Not every NFL WR is Megatron and every NBA player isn't Cam Payne :lol:
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,098

Post#64 » by Shock Defeat » Wed May 8, 2024 4:51 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:I played both sports in highschool.

He's 100% correct.

Basketball takes actual skill. Football is skills as well, but you can get away with less skill in football because you're basically running and tackling for the most part.

If you can't dribble or shoot what exactly can you do in basketball?

Yep.

NFL = way better athletes but the nba dudes are 100x more skilled. Like, not even close. Any football player would play basketball if they chose for obvious reasons. If an NFL player could transition to NbA they would in a heartbeat. There is a reason why this has never happened. Rivers is spot on

Except for QB. If you are a good QB you make more money in the NFL and have just as much longevity
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,450

Post#65 » by Tor_Raps » Wed May 8, 2024 4:52 pm

Skill wise I agree but nba players cry for whistles when the game gets tough. Don't think they have the balls/mindset to put up with the NFL grind. There would only be a handful that I'd agree with like Lebron
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,123

Post#66 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 8, 2024 4:54 pm

Slightly OT but unless it is QB you'd have to be nuts to pick the NFL if your option is play in the NBA or the NFL. The pay is worse. The contracts aren't guaranteed. Less potential for fame off the field. And your body gets wrecked. Outside of QB the NBA is a no-brainer.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,902

Post#67 » by Johnny Firpo » Wed May 8, 2024 4:54 pm

He is right, but by that logic, F1 drivers are the best athletes in the world, because exactly 0% of NBA or NFL players could do what they. Or you could say tennis players too.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,464

Post#68 » by azcatz11 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:56 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

He's 100% correct.

Basketball takes actual skill. Football is skills as well, but you can get away with less skill in football because you're basically running and tackling for the most part.

Yep.

NFL = way better athletes but the nba dudes are 100x more skilled. Like, not even close. Any football player would play basketball if they chose for obvious reasons. If an NFL player could transition to NbA they would in a heartbeat. There is a reason why this has never happened. Rivers is spot on

How much NFL players make compared to NBA? Obviously, I imagine they would rather play in the NBA due to sport, how much safer it is comparably, also training for the NBA seems a bit more fun at least, I hate strength training... but what about actual money?

NFL players make scraps (except QBs) compared to nba players. They also don’t have guaranteed contracts. Only a psychopath would choose the nfl route over the nba route
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,364

Post#69 » by YogurtProducer » Wed May 8, 2024 4:58 pm

Anyone who has played football knows that is a sport you either "get" or you "don't".

That is why I believe it would be the easiest sport for anyone to transfer into. NFL players have no chance in the NBA.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#70 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed May 8, 2024 5:01 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

He's 100% correct.

Yep.

How much NFL players make compared to NBA? Obviously, I imagine they would rather play in the NBA due to sport, how much safer it is comparably, also training for the NBA seems a bit more fun at least, I hate strength training... but what about actual money?

The money is comparable for quarterbacks, they get NBA max salary type money, and their jobs are fairly safe compared to 20 years ago. Most of the rule changes the last decade have been made to protect quarterbacks and limit the damage they take, as a result they play longer and make a lot of money. The average NFL player doesn't make as much as the average NBA player, the stars make comparable money, but they're on non-guaranteed contracts. The QBs of course get most of their money guaranteed.

Quarterback also takes the most training as a youth, nowadays you need to get your kid a trainer as soon as he can walk if you want a chance.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,186

Post#71 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 8, 2024 5:06 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:Slightly OT but unless it is QB you'd have to be nuts to pick the NFL if your option is play in the NBA or the NFL. The pay is worse. The contracts aren't guaranteed. Less potential for fame off the field. And your body gets wrecked. Outside of QB the NBA is a no-brainer.

I remember hearing that even QBs of old, later in life could barely even control their arm and were in a constant pain. Unitas had that. And maybe science has changed that, but all these sports, must take a massive long term toll on your body. I feel bad for old man Embiid already, that man wont be very healthy I image.

We in Lithuania had a basketball show, or was it a series or doc, but I remember our older players were saying how they do not want to steer young people away from Basketball, but if you become pro, prepare to be criple or at least be in constant pain in your later life.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#72 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 8, 2024 5:06 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:
You don't see one and done college prospects for a reason.

The NFL prohibits players from going into the draft with less than 3 years. IF the rule didn't exist tons of lower class men would declare. Frankly it is absurd that that rule is allowed.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,457

Post#73 » by Heat3 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:11 pm

It would be harder to get NFL players in the NBA because of the skills and body types normally required. But I don’t think you could get 30 NBA players into the NFL even if they were end of the bench type of TE and WR.

NFL rosters are bigger but they don’t have guys just sitting around never getting playing time like it is in the NBA. They have to have something that contributes to the team. Coming in on plays to block. Special teams in addition to it.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#74 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 8, 2024 5:11 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:Slightly OT but unless it is QB you'd have to be nuts to pick the NFL if your option is play in the NBA or the NFL. The pay is worse. The contracts aren't guaranteed. Less potential for fame off the field. And your body gets wrecked. Outside of QB the NBA is a no-brainer.

I remember hearing that even QBs of old, later in life could barely even control their arm and be in a constant pain. Unitas had that. And maybe science has changed that, but all these sports, must take a massive long term toll on your body. I feel bad for old man Embiid already, that man wont be very healthy I image.

We in Lithuania had a basketball show, or was it a series or doc, but I remember our older players were saying how they do not want to steer young people away from Basketball, but if you become pro, prepare to be criple or at least be in constant pain in your later life.

Your post reminded me of Duncan. In his final years you could see he walks with a limp.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,824

Post#75 » by Raps in 4 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:13 pm

He's right. Football talent (other than QB and kicker) is mostly tied to strength and athleticism. Basketball requires more specialized skill, like shooting, dribbling, passing, in addition to needing athleticism. I think the freak athletes in the NBA could all be decent football players.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM

Post#76 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed May 8, 2024 5:19 pm

Heat3 wrote:It would be harder to get NFL players in the NBA because of the skills and body types normally required. But I don’t think you could get 30 NBA players into the NFL even if they were end of the bench type of TE and WR.

NFL rosters are bigger but they don’t have guys just sitting around never getting playing time like it is in the NBA. They have to have something that contributes to the team. Coming in on plays to block. Special teams in addition to it.

30 is hyperbole, but there's definitely guys in the league who could transition with a year, especially those with football backgrounds (Ant, Suggs, Roddy).
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,714

Post#77 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed May 8, 2024 5:39 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:

The NFL prohibits players from going into the draft with less than 3 years. IF the rule didn't exist tons of lower class men would declare. Frankly it is absurd that that rule is allowed.

Those players would be no where near ready to play in the NFL. Physically or skill wise. Allowing them to be one and done would be disastrous for the player/game.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#78 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 8, 2024 5:40 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:

Those players would be no where near ready to play in the NFL. Physically or skill wise. Allowing them to be one and done would be disastrous for the player/game.

Why have the rule? If they would be so bad no one would draft them. You only have to prohibit things people want to do.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,970

Post#79 » by ForeverTFC » Wed May 8, 2024 5:42 pm

If you have a choice between playing professional basketball and professional football, no logical person would choose the NFL over the NBA. That pretty much proves him right.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,464

Post#80 » by azcatz11 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:44 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

Why have the rule? If they would be so bad no one would draft them. You only have to prohibit things people want to do.

Certain positions would benefit from the rule - like corner or running back when dudes are washed by the time they’re 27. So the ability for corners or RB to come out after a year or whatever would be helpful and improve their earning potential. Every year counts as far as earning potential since nothing is guaranteed.

I’m in favor of no restrictions

Return to The General Board