Charlotte Hornets Hire Charles Lee as new Head Coach

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,700

Re: Charlotte Hornets Hire Charles Lee as new Head Coach 

Post#61 » by shi-woo » Thu May 9, 2024 2:56 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
shi-woo wrote:You are trolling though, because you still haven't given us this long list of guys better and more capable that they passed up on.

Who are the more distinguished #1 choices out there right now?

And Bud isn't really an option considering this dude seems to be his main protege, and he also comes with his faults that teams might not want to deal with right off the rip

From the underline, you don't know if he is or isn't. Are you telling me he wouldn't be ahead of Lee on this supposed list?

No he wouldn't.

Budz is a proven commodity at this point. You know what you are going to get with him. We've seen him coach two teams, and multiple iterations of both. Budz is not a guy who wants to, or has had success coaching young players, so why would you want him coaching this young team? This is a man who started Ersan Ilyasova over rookie John Collins on a team that barely won 20 games. Not what CHA is looking for.

We're still waiting on that list btw
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,458

Post#62 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:03 pm

shi-woo wrote:No he wouldn't.

Budz is a proven commodity at this point. You know what you are going to get with him. We've seen him coach two teams, and multiple iterations of both. Budz is not a guy who wants to, or has had success coaching young players, so why would you want him coaching this young team? This is a man who started Ersan Ilyasova over rookie John Collins on a team that barely won 20 games. Not what CHA is looking for.

Sorry, it appears you and I differ on the value of a coach who wins an NBA Finals. I happen to think the Hornets need a coach with cachet, something the previous ones lacked.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,779

Post#63 » by Harry Garris » Thu May 9, 2024 3:14 pm

KembaWalker wrote:Thank god we didn’t hire the podcaster

I just don't get the appeal in JJ Redick as a head coaching candidate. He has a type of charisma that's perfect for the media scene but doesn't feel like it would be great if this is the dude coaching you every day. He's not really a fully laid back, personable guy but he also doesn't have a Rick Carlisle type edge. There's a lot of nervous energy with him below the surface.

I would not want to be coached by him, personally.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,481

Post#64 » by Hornet Mania » Thu May 9, 2024 3:17 pm

Swish77 wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:
Swish77 wrote:He got a 4 year deal. How many years will he last in Charlotte? I'll give him 2 years lol

This is a silly comment. It's new ownership, so things could change, but the previous two Hornets coaches both lasted beyond their initial contract. In fact the last two full-time Hornets coaches both signed extensions.

Haters have plenty of ammo with the Hornets, at least pick something real. :roll:

People said the same thing about the Panthers they have fired how many HC's and FO's since new ownership took over? Its not a silly comment its a proven fact. New Ownership wants to win and they have deep pockets to do so. I'm not dogging the Hornets ID like to see them do well. No hard feelings here. Hornets fan base deserve a winning team.

Keep reaching man. Every ownership group is different, not all new ownership has a hair trigger with coach firings. The new owners kept Steve Clifford throughout the year and are new hiring him into a FO position after two sub-30 win seasons.

You made a total uninformed comment and are now backtracking to 'well, it could happen, because this totally different owner in a totally different sport'. My statement that you have no basis for your potshot still stands.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,700

Post#65 » by shi-woo » Thu May 9, 2024 3:20 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

Sorry, it appears you and I differ on the value of a coach who wins an NBA Finals. I happen to think the Hornets need a coach with cachet, something the previous ones lacked.

But there coach was on that NBA finals team though :lol: Or do you just not believe in hiring first year coaches?
SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,275

Post#66 » by SweaterBae » Thu May 9, 2024 3:24 pm

Never heard of him, so probably a great hire. Enough with the retreads already.
Swish77
Junior
And1: 86

Post#67 » by Swish77 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:24 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:
This is a silly comment. It's new ownership, so things could change, but the previous two Hornets coaches both lasted beyond their initial contract. In fact the last two full-time Hornets coaches both signed extensions.

Haters have plenty of ammo with the Hornets, at least pick something real. :roll:

People said the same thing about the Panthers they have fired how many HC's and FO's since new ownership took over? Its not a silly comment its a proven fact. New Ownership wants to win and they have deep pockets to do so. I'm not dogging the Hornets ID like to see them do well. No hard feelings here. Hornets fan base deserve a winning team.

Keep reaching man. Every ownership group is different, not all new ownership has a hair trigger with coach firings.

You made a total uninformed comment and are now backtracking to 'well, it could happen, because this totally different owner in a totally different sport'. My statement that you have no basis for your potshot still stands.

Thank you for your opinion. I stand by what I said. Ill give him 2 years.
SweaterBae
Sixth Man

Post#68 » by SweaterBae » Thu May 9, 2024 3:26 pm

Swish77 wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:
Swish77 wrote:

Keep reaching man. Every ownership group is different, not all new ownership has a hair trigger with coach firings.

Thank you for your opinion. I stand by what I said. Ill give him 2 years.

So who should they have hired that would last more than 2 years? You're standing by an absolutely pointless post, congrats.
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,181

Post#69 » by sca » Thu May 9, 2024 3:29 pm

DaGawd wrote:man…who?

Charles Lee (28 February 1732 [O.S. 26 January 1731] – 2 October 1782) was a British-born American military officer who served as a general of the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. He also served earlier in the British Army during the Seven Years War. He sold his commission after the Seven Years War and served for a time in the Polish army of King Stanislaus II Augustus.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,458

Post#70 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:30 pm

shi-woo wrote:But there coach was on that NBA finals team though :lol: Or do you just not believe in hiring first year coaches?

Was he the head coach?

And yes, I do believe a younger team would be better off with an accomplished head coach.
SweaterBae
Sixth Man

Post#71 » by SweaterBae » Thu May 9, 2024 3:34 pm

Such ignorant hate.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#72 » by JDR720 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:44 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
shi-woo wrote:But there coach was on that NBA finals team though :lol: Or do you just not believe in hiring first year coaches?

Was he the head coach?

And yes, I do believe a younger team would be better off with an accomplished head coach.

There are no accomplished head coaches available besides Bud, who wants to be in a big market and making tons of money. Neither of which we can offer.
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,455

Post#73 » by Birth of the Cool » Thu May 9, 2024 3:47 pm

LOL this Baseline81 dude is embarassing himself in this thread. He got outed as ignorant and when called out to name these Coaches he thinks were better options he weaves & dodges.

Good hire for this team at this time.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,863

Post#74 » by jkvonny » Thu May 9, 2024 3:55 pm

Congrats and good luck, Hornets fans! Should work well with the young team.
Hes from the Coach Buds coaching tree. Assistant coach with Hawks and Bucks.

I believe he was on the short list for the Lakers job too.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,997

Post#75 » by bisme37 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jkvonny
Head Coach

Post#76 » by jkvonny » Thu May 9, 2024 4:01 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Lets gooooooooo

No Redick, we are winning just at that.

Lakers gonna hire JJ. Lol
jkvonny
Head Coach

Post#77 » by jkvonny » Thu May 9, 2024 4:12 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

He's from the Coach Bud coaching tree (Hawks, Bucks) if that makes you feel any better.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,351

Post#78 » by Wolfgang630 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:16 pm

I keep thinking of Chucky
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,126

Post#79 » by Effigy » Thu May 9, 2024 4:17 pm

JDR720 wrote:
DaGawd wrote:man…who?

The Charlotte Hornets are the NBA team located in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Oh come on, I think we'd all know if there was an NBA team in Charlotte.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,170

Post#80 » by DarkAzcura » Thu May 9, 2024 4:22 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

Was he the head coach?

This is such an odd take considering the success Minnesota is having right now.

If an unaccomplished head coach isn’t good for a younger team, and most people don’t think they are good for veteran teams either (because veteran teams won’t respect a head coach with no experience usually), when is is a good time to hire a coach with no experience? Never? This makes no sense. A young coach with as much assistant coaching experience as Lee has on championship contenders is a perfect fit to grow with a young team that has little expectations.

Return to The General Board