What happened to Chet Holmgren?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,369

Re: What happened to Chet Holmgren? 

Post#61 » by WiggOuts » Fri May 10, 2024 11:16 am

not only is he a rookie, hes a rookie playing on the #1 ranked team in the NBA expecting to make a deep playoff run. theyre already in the 2nd round. Thats more basketball than hes ever played in that amount of time. Lots of guys need to take breaks during their first season due to shock the long season has on their bodies.

side note: theres lots of people saying hes expected to put on a lot of weight, i dont see that happening. He doesnt have the frame, he can definitely get stronger but he looks like hes gonna be a skinny guy for his career
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,455

Post#62 » by brutalitops » Fri May 10, 2024 11:22 am

durden_tyler wrote:Depends on what you expect him to be. Superstar? Top 10 player? That's too much. He's going to be a solid starter, and that's okay.

He's one of the best rookie players I've seen in 15 years and people are thinking disappointing

He's anchoring a defense of a team in the second round of the playoffs, while "Too skinny" is one of the better handful of centers in the NBA

People think they need a "Big body" next to him are insane. OKC overall don't rebound great. It's not Chets *fault* yeah he can be bodied sometimes, but he's 19 and has amazing anticipation for blocks. Shifting him to PF just means he gets harder match ups on offense and plays worse.

I've never seen people **** on a dude in his first season in the second round of the NBA finals because he doesn't "Get lots of stats!" My god
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,937

Post#63 » by Karate Diop » Fri May 10, 2024 11:26 am

Good young player, but he's gotten bullied all season whenever someone plays him physical.

Needs a few years of strength training and then should be fine.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 531

Post#64 » by TheCage4 » Fri May 10, 2024 11:50 am

From the looks of him, I'd have to say malnourishment.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Chokic
Senior
And1: 660

Post#65 » by Chokic » Fri May 10, 2024 11:51 am

madskillz8 wrote:Media and fans, say at least realGM, has glorified him as a top level player and compared his rookie season with some other greats such as Tim Duncan. The thing is when you are 3rd or 4th option offensively and playing alongside one of the best offensive players ever, you will likely have a less attention from opposing defenses, thus you can have a good efficiency.

Yes, he was really impactful for OKC in his role, but many times I read "he averaged this as a rookie thus he would be way better soon, just like this great player in history"... I don't think so, because it'd require a drastic chance in his offensive role, and I don't see him he would be an impactful as a Robin to SGA, compared to his current role...

At this point, (and possibly moving forward) he's more of a Tayshaun than Duncan. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Pretty spot on assessment. The holmgren vs banchero thread isn't going to age well.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#66 » by Jimmy Recard » Fri May 10, 2024 12:07 pm

MassimoPayne wrote:Still surprised OKC or PHX did not go for Gafford.
Luckily we have him

*Gaffney
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,189

Post#67 » by Texas Chuck » Fri May 10, 2024 12:59 pm

I mean he's starting and playing a major role for the best team in the best conference. Playing every game. As a rookie. Not sure what expectations should have been but he's exceeded all reasonable ones by some distance.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,105

Post#68 » by cupcakesnake » Fri May 10, 2024 1:05 pm

Chet is averaging 15 points, 8 rebounds, and almost 3 blocks in the playoffs... what are we talking about here?

The outside shooting has been slumping, but that happens to everyone at some point. Anytime I'm watching the Thunder, Chet looks great. Masterful cutter and rim protector who gives OKC all kinds of edges.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,105

Post#69 » by cupcakesnake » Fri May 10, 2024 1:16 pm

Chokic wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:Media and fans, say at least realGM, has glorified him as a top level player and compared his rookie season with some other greats such as Tim Duncan. The thing is when you are 3rd or 4th option offensively and playing alongside one of the best offensive players ever, you will likely have a less attention from opposing defenses, thus you can have a good efficiency.

Yes, he was really impactful for OKC in his role, but many times I read "he averaged this as a rookie thus he would be way better soon, just like this great player in history"... I don't think so, because it'd require a drastic chance in his offensive role, and I don't see him he would be an impactful as a Robin to SGA, compared to his current role...

At this point, (and possibly moving forward) he's more of a Tayshaun than Duncan. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Pretty spot on assessment. The holmgren vs banchero thread isn't going to age well.

He's spot on for calling him "more of a Tayshaun than Duncan"?

Yeah sure... he's Tayshaun... if Tayshaun was 7'1" barefoot, averaged 3 blocks per game, and could bang threes. Tayshaun except he's a ball handling center than can space and rim protect. What on earth does he have to do with Tayshaun Prince (a player that I was a huge fan of, for the record) ???

I don't think anyone was ever saying Chet=Timmy. I think people were pointing out Chet is having an insane rookie season. Sure, you can be like: well what is the context for this rookie season, but that doesn't make it not count or not pop up when comparing historical rookie seasons. Having a great rookie season also doesn't guarantee that Chet will become Tim Duncan, a top 5 player of all-time.

Chet's ability to fit in next to high-end player and provide tons of value without needing the ball is one of the biggest parts of his value. If it was Paolo in OKC, we'd be trying to figure out how on earth to maximize Shai, Jalen, and Paolo at the same time, while the Thunder struggled to figure out rim/paint protection.

If you only measure player value by their ability to self-create, you miss the value of tons of players who bring real championship equity (that includes Duncan! Who's self creation was good but not great). Chet has a high likelihood of becoming a DPOY quality player on that end, while being able to space the floor, pass, and attack off the dribble on the other. Insanely valuable player type and I still have no idea what Tayshaun Prince has to do with any of this. Chet's rookie season is way above Tayshaun Prince's best season.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,593

Post#70 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:18 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote:
MassimoPayne wrote:Still surprised OKC or PHX did not go for Gafford.
Luckily we have him

*Gaffney

Genuinely thought there was some player I somehow hadn’t heard of on the Mavs roster last night for a few plays because they kept saying it lol.
swyftdahoe
Senior
And1: 534

Post#71 » by swyftdahoe » Fri May 10, 2024 1:20 pm

We're complaining about rookies in the playoffs now? lol
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,989

Post#72 » by Patches Perry » Fri May 10, 2024 1:31 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Chokic wrote:

Yeah sure... he's Tayshaun... if Tayshaun was 7'1" barefoot, averaged 3 blocks per game, and could bang threes. Tayshaun except he's a ball handling center than can space and rim protect. What on earth does he have to do with Tayshaun Prince (a player that I was a huge fan of, for the record) ???

I don't think anyone was every saying Chet=Timmy. I think people were pointing our Chet is having an insane rookie season. Sure, you can be like: well what is the context for this rookie season, but that doesn't make it not count or not pop up when comparing historical rookie seasons. Having a great rookie season also doesn't guarantee that Chet will become Tim Duncan, a top 5 player of all-time.

Chet's ability to fit in next to high-end player and provide tons of value without needing the ball is one of the biggest parts of his value. If it was Paolo in OKC, we'd be trying to figure out how on earth to maximize Shai, Jalen, and Paolo at the same time, while the Thunder struggled to figure out rim/paint protection.

If you only measure player value by their ability to self-create, you miss the value of tons of players who bring real championship equity (that includes Duncan! Who's self creation was good but not great). Chet has a high likelihood of becoming a DPOY quality player on that end, while being able to space the floor, pass, and attack off the dribble on the other. Insanely valuable player type and I still have no idea what Tayshaun Prince has to do with any of this. Chet's rookie season is way above Tayshaun Prince's best season.

Tayshaun was really skinny I think was the 1 dimensional similarity. I agree with your assessment that Chet's greatest value will be the ability to retain impact and value behind other high usage players like Shai and Dub. Chet doesn't "need his own team" as some claim because that would be honing the wrong part of his game. Last decade ushered in the increased value of the 3 and D wing, and Chet seems to be in the mold of the 3 and D center. He has some good 3rd option level post scoring and offensive playmaking potential to boot.

Part of it is a lot of people commenting just haven't watched OKC much. I made a post a couple months ago saying I was surprised how many people thought Chet was the 2nd best player on OKC. People just had no idea about Dub.
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,392

Post#73 » by Godymas » Fri May 10, 2024 1:41 pm

he’s a rookie struggling offensively against teams with big beefy size.

I mean Chet is still a god damn stick. Obviously he should never be built, but he needs to put on some weight a la Wemby
Knightfall
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,070

Post#74 » by Knightfall » Fri May 10, 2024 1:48 pm

Ah the panic monkeys on realgm. They try to act smart too. Yes chet is a rookie. The NBA called him a rookie hes a rookie. Also OKC is looking for size to put in the front court to play him at PF. But I know he sucks how is he not out there being Tim Duncan prime in his 7th playoff game of his rookie season. Cant take the idiots with their hot takes seriously.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 796

Post#75 » by madskillz8 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:52 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Chokic wrote:

I don't think anyone was every saying Chet=Timmy. I think people were pointing our Chet is having an insane rookie season. Sure, you can be like: well what is the context for this rookie season, but that doesn't make it not count or not pop up when comparing historical rookie seasons. Having a great rookie season also doesn't guarantee that Chet will become Tim Duncan, a top 5 player of all-time.

Come on, I never said that. I also said people are comparing Chet's rookie season to Tim Duncan's rookie season, not they are saying Chet=Timmy, lol.

I was definitely talking about the role - not physically or style-wise. Fills an important role on a contender, plug & play, but not an offensive threat who opponents try to stop. Differently from many other top picks who had more offensive responsibility in their very first NBA season.

And when someone says "he's more of a Tayshaun than Duncan", he is likely referring to a spectrum, instead of a direct comparison. I expect him to be an extremely impactful player with 3/4th option on offense and knows his role well. Yes, in a spectrum, it is more of a Tayshaun than Duncan for a contender team.

We are talking about a player who made 4 all-defense teams in his first 6 seasons who also averages 14+ points per game for a contender in a slow-paced low scoring era. Not some scrub.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,433

Post#76 » by Chuck Everett » Fri May 10, 2024 2:12 pm

brutalitops wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Depends on what you expect him to be. Superstar? Top 10 player? That's too much. He's going to be a solid starter, and that's okay.

He's one of the best rookie players I've seen in 15 years and people are thinking disappointing

He's anchoring a defense of a team in the second round of the playoffs, while "Too skinny" is one of the better handful of centers in the NBA

People think they need a "Big body" next to him are insane. OKC overall don't rebound great. It's not Chets *fault* yeah he can be bodied sometimes, but he's 19 and has amazing anticipation for blocks. Shifting him to PF just means he gets harder match ups on offense and plays worse.

I've never seen people **** on a dude in his first season in the second round of the NBA finals because he doesn't "Get lots of stats!" My god

One thing, you actually have his age wrong. He is 22, not 19.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 46,179

Post#77 » by dakomish23 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:15 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:My god it’s his first NBA season

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,971

Post#78 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:20 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:They need a big and have him play PF. He really isn’t a center.

PF isn't a real position
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,155

Post#79 » by Mr B » Fri May 10, 2024 2:20 pm

Chet reminds me of a young more athletic Shawn Bradley. Super long arms and tall which makes him a really good rim protector. Because of his lack of girth though he can be pushed around. Did I hear correctly that Chet weighs 205 lbs?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,956

Post#80 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 2:21 pm

Chet took a really bad fall in the 3rd quarter.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to The General Board