Should the Knicks reconsider giving Anunoby a huge contract this summer?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,274

Re: Should the Knicks reconsider giving Anunoby a huge contract this summer? 

Post#61 » by SA37 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:35 pm

Woodsanity wrote:
SA37 wrote:Never underestimate the Knicks' penchant for giving outrageous contracts to non-all-star players.

Anunoby is a good player, but supremely overrated. He's like the forward version of Jrue Holiday. He could end up being NY's Tobias Harris if NY is not careful.

My guess is Anunoby is going to look around and see what Michael Porter Jr got (~5-years, $180M), what Jerami Grant got (5 years, $160M), and what Andrew Wiggins got (4-years, $108M) and then he is going to tell the Knicks he wants $35M a season.

Anunoby is nothing like Tobias Harris. His problem has always been health not his actual on court impact. He makes a big impact but if he is out it doesn't matter.

The comparison wasn't playing styles but rather good, but not great players who are massively overpaid. Anunoby on a contract like I expect him to be on -- ~$35M/season -- is a brutal overpay (I mean, who would not agree Porter Jr and Grant are overpaid?)
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,969

Post#62 » by Rich Rane » Mon May 13, 2024 7:36 pm

What's the salary cap like down the line? Perhaps a $35 million/year contract will look a lot better then.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,456

Post#63 » by Woodsanity » Mon May 13, 2024 7:38 pm

SA37 wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:
SA37 wrote:Never underestimate the Knicks' penchant for giving outrageous contracts to non-all-star players.

Anunoby is a good player, but supremely overrated. He's like the forward version of Jrue Holiday. He could end up being NY's Tobias Harris if NY is not careful.

My guess is Anunoby is going to look around and see what Michael Porter Jr got (~5-years, $180M), what Jerami Grant got (5 years, $160M), and what Andrew Wiggins got (4-years, $108M) and then he is going to tell the Knicks he wants $35M a season.

Anunoby is nothing like Tobias Harris. His problem has always been health not his actual on court impact. He makes a big impact but if he is out it doesn't matter.

The comparison wasn't playing styles but rather good, but not great players who are massively overpaid. Anunoby on a contract like I expect him to be on -- ~$35M/season -- is a brutal overpay (I mean, who would not agree Porter Jr and Grant are overpaid?)

Honestly if he was always healthy I would be 100% fine with him at 35m/season. He has a lot higher impact than dudes like Porter Jr and Grant.

His +/- numbers with the Knicks have been utterly absurd for a reason. He is a complete game changer defensively and he is a good 3 point shooter.

You can't compare to those other guys he is magnitudes better than them defensively.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
knicksstuff
Sophomore
And1: 298

Post#64 » by knicksstuff » Mon May 13, 2024 7:49 pm

my guess is he gets 4/140 with stipulations to get him to 150-155 with all defensive team/games played/all star/playoff goals
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,464

Post#65 » by Billl » Mon May 13, 2024 7:52 pm

If the knicks don't want to pay him $35/yr, I'm pretty sure the pistons will. We've got all the cap space in the world and are just looking for a 2-way forward to give it to.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,061

Post#66 » by Snakebites » Mon May 13, 2024 7:53 pm

No, they need him for the path they’re on.

Randle is the guy they don’t need.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,291

Post#67 » by Capn'O » Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

Snakebites wrote:No, they need him for the path they’re on.

Randle is the guy they don’t need.

I'd like to give a shot running it back before jumping to that conclusion. If you look at our lineup splits, the brief stretch where we had OG/Randle/Brunson together we were mowing teams down. Issue we had before was three guys who preferred going left and we had no size on the wing. OG operates from the right side and his 3 point with some iso/post melded really well with Randles better iso/post with some 3pt. Randle got into his moves quickly and decisively and could pass out to OG or Donte if his shot wasn't there. Then Brunson can get his shot from anywhere and get it to anyone.

I'd like to see a little more of that.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,990

Post#68 » by wegotthabeet » Mon May 13, 2024 8:01 pm

Raps should offer him the max, just to **** with Dolan and the lawsuit.

Would love him back, but he fits the Knicks like a glove. As he would any team.
donkki
Assistant Coach
And1: 638

Post#69 » by donkki » Mon May 13, 2024 8:51 pm

OG is staying for sure, and the Knicks will make a serious run for the title next year.
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,969

Post#70 » by Memories » Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

Knicks traded RJ Barrett and Quickly for him. They ain't gonna let him walk.

It's why OG is gonna get a HUGE contract. He pretty much has the Knicks by the balls.
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,957

Post#71 » by basketballRob » Mon May 13, 2024 8:59 pm

yoadknux wrote:
rapstarter wrote:Their superstar is a 6ft guard that's about to turn 28 in the summer. Their time is now, and OG right now is as good a complementary piece as it gets while their window with Brunson is open. There are obviously some concerns with his injury history, but this is the risk you HAVE to take to contend.

Just saying, Siakam is also a free agent
They don't have the cap space to go after Siakam.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,051

Post#72 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon May 13, 2024 8:59 pm

He won't be worth the money. But they will give him a terrible contract.

Classic Knicks.
dkb964
Junior
And1: 211

Post#73 » by dkb964 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:04 pm

I agree that Anunoby is a great defender but it is kind of odd that he has not even cracked a 2nd team All-Defence in his entire career up to this point.
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,874

Post#74 » by Deivork » Mon May 13, 2024 9:10 pm

dkb964 wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:He is a good player, elite defender and knock down 3pt shooter, rarely makes mistakes. But if we're talking in the range of ~150 mil over 4 years, he doesn't bring the impact to justify that salary. And his healthy is spotty. They still probably pay it over letting him walk though.

He is getting more than 4 years 150M. That is for sure.

really? I wouldn't
Ssj16
Senior
And1: 603

Post#75 » by Ssj16 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:01 pm

Unpopular opinion but I wouldn't throw the bag at him just yet. Maybe if I thought OG was the final piece, I would be looking to land him in a more short term deal.

But to sign an injury prone player to a longer term deal, is just too risky if I don't see an immediate championship in the horizon in the current or upcoming season.

Edit: that said, I know there was probably already a handshake deal made with OG reps and NY reps, so this is probably a moot discussion.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,841

Post#76 » by Raps in 4 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:20 pm

I did not want to pay him in Toronto. He's an elite role player, but still just a role player.

I think NYK's situation is a little different though since his inclusion on the team brings them pretty close to contender status. In that case, overpaying relative to his talent level is fine since his fit on the team is more important than his individual talent.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 2,028

Post#77 » by Rockazoids » Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

NY2k1 wrote:The Knicks didn't trade RJ, Quickley and a future 1st round pick just to let OG walk in free agency. Plus, he switched his agent to Leon Rose's son after the trade.

Needless to say, he's not going anywhere. His injury history is the only concern, but he's still worth what he'll get paid.

Didn't they give up DET 2nd rd pick #31 not a future 1st? Also with good deals on Randle, Brunson, Hart, Robinson, DiVincenzo,
and McBride they can pay a little more to keep the gang together. Hartenstein is the one they could lose.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,279

Post#78 » by Edrees » Mon May 13, 2024 11:14 pm

If you are the knicks you have to take the chance that he is going to be healthy. Even if you spend the money on someone else, it doesn't mean the knicks will be better
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,245

Post#79 » by Flash4thewin » Mon May 13, 2024 11:17 pm

In a league where the Herro makes 30 mil, it’s hard to argue he won’t get paid.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#80 » by WentzerWuver » Mon May 13, 2024 11:35 pm

dkb964 wrote:As a Raptors fan I have watched the career of Anunoby closely and the man just can not stay healthy. It is not a fluke what is happeneing since he joined the Knicks. It feels like they are in a tough position. One one hand they have been great with him in the lineup but on the other hand history would suggest he will be hurt again next season, and I doubt that changes going forward as he gets older. In a world where Tobias Haris made 40M this season I would have to think that would be the floor amount of money for Anunoby. Should the Knicks really give a massive contract to a great role player who can not stay healthy?
He should get same contract as Dray, who can stay healthy.

Return to The General Board