Why does KAT always look like he's about to topple over?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,953

Re: Why does KAT always look like he's about to topple over? 

Post#61 » by Fo-Real » Tue May 14, 2024 2:35 pm

He flails a lot, gonna hurt someone.
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 616

Post#62 » by MMyhre » Tue May 14, 2024 2:40 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
MMyhre wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
I wouldn't recommend biceps work for anyone not body building. Your core gets trained just fine with squats, deadlifts, reverse hypers, hypers, glut ham raises, pull throughs, and if you must some isolation with WEIGHTED sit ups. All that yoga core stuff isn't going to do much for an athlete.

Well, now you added some other better targetting exercises so it would be better, yes. Not Yoga I am talking about. https://www.instagram.com/rangeofstrength?igsh=aWlpeWRpYnpxcmlm

You can see the idea in this guy.

I said the best way is squats and deadlifts. I didn't say that was all you had to do. I swear...it's like i gotta write a book to avoid confusion sometimes. As for that guy...I'm not an elite athlete coach (not that he appears to be). But I don't think any of that is how you get KAT to having a strong enough core/base. Simple power lifting routines are where KAT needs work. Once you've got that baseline...the maintenance and increases in flexibility could open up something like that. KAT needs 2 years doing some basic starting strength/west side type routine modified possibly for his frame and to minimize injury risks. Again...I'm no expert to address training a 7'0 freak.

"And i"d add squats and deadlifts are likely your best way to build up your core anyway" is what I responded to and what I am disagreeing with. There is no confusion. You can go do some loaded lumbar work and come back to me, its not flexibility. Its literally going to hypertrophy and strengthen your lower back in a superior way to other exercises where the lower back is sharing tension, not being worked through as decent a ROM or just being supportive/stabilizing/a synergist. It`s not common knowledge, but you can see the outliers in the strength world exploring this field like RangeOfStrength which has ridiculous overall strength and mobility through loading the musculature in stretched positions, and I do believe he is a natural, compared to the fake natty powerlifters and all kinds of frauds out there. Not going to keep arguing on it.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,012

Post#63 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:44 pm

MMyhre wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
MMyhre wrote:Well, now you added some other better targetting exercises so it would be better, yes. Not Yoga I am talking about. https://www.instagram.com/rangeofstrength?igsh=aWlpeWRpYnpxcmlm

You can see the idea in this guy.

I said the best way is squats and deadlifts. I didn't say that was all you had to do. I swear...it's like i gotta write a book to avoid confusion sometimes. As for that guy...I'm not an elite athlete coach (not that he appears to be). But I don't think any of that is how you get KAT to having a strong enough core/base. Simple power lifting routines are where KAT needs work. Once you've got that baseline...the maintenance and increases in flexibility could open up something like that. KAT needs 2 years doing some basic starting strength/west side type routine modified possibly for his frame and to minimize injury risks. Again...I'm no expert to address training a 7'0 freak.

"And i"d add squats and deadlifts are likely your best way to build up your core anyway" is what I responded to and what I am disagreeing with. There is no confusion. You can go do some loaded lumbar work and come back to me, its not flexibility. Its literally going to hypertrophy and strengthen your lower back in a superior way to other exercises where the lower back is sharing tension, not being worked through as decent a ROM or just being supportive/stabilizing/a synergist. It`s not common knowledge, but you can see the outliers in the strength world exploring this field like RangeOfStrength which has ridiculous overall strength and mobility through loading the musculature in stretched positions, and I do believe he is a natural, compared to the fake natty powerlifters and all kinds of frauds out there. Not going to keep arguing on it.

You keep talking about hypertrophy. That isn't what KAT needs.

Also fake natties? Are there well known coaches who aren't openly on gear? If you're not on gear, I doubt you've got much to say on strength training lol.
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 616

Post#64 » by MMyhre » Tue May 14, 2024 2:53 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
MMyhre wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

You keep talking about hypertrophy. That isn't what KAT needs.

Also fake natties? Are there well known coaches who aren't openly on gear? If you're not on gear, I doubt you've got much to say on strength training lol.

A bigger muscle is just going to be stronger and help him maintain his balance easier, so why would we not want some hypertrophy within reasonable limits. The last point doesn`t make sense to me but ok.
bluemj32
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,064

Post#65 » by bluemj32 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:23 pm

sjballer03 wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:probably because of his humongous feet

Wouldn't big feet mean better balance? I mean Shaq had great balance with more weight.
Shaq is an anomaly bc he had a strong core and lower body base.

Most basketball bigs just don't have the lower body stability. The lower center of gravity you have typically the better when making contact.

That's why in football they always say the low man wins.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
balrog27
Sophomore
And1: 150

Post#66 » by balrog27 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:32 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:And why is he chucking contested, off-rhythm threes early in the shot clock?

I get the same feel when I watch him, yet he has a career higher 3 point shooting % then KD lol, skilled enough to win the skills challenge as a 7 footer. He's like one of those guys that doesnt pass the eye test, but he's pretty efficient based off of his stats.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,339

Post#67 » by tamaraw08 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:13 pm

balrog27 wrote:
Ugly Duckling wrote:And why is he chucking contested, off-rhythm threes early in the shot clock?

I get the same feel when I watch him, yet he has a career higher 3 point shooting % then KD lol, skilled enough to win the skills challenge as a 7 footer. He's like one of those guys that doesnt pass the eye test, but he's pretty efficient based off of his stats.

I can't help but wonder how accurate were KAT's shots in the 2nd half, esp the 4th quarters. It just seems like KAT doesn't make a lot of clutch shots and his meager 4 FTs/game is not helping at all when the going gets much tougher.
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,940

Post#68 » by chrismikayla » Tue May 14, 2024 9:19 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
MMyhre wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Center of gravity is pretty heavily driven by limb length as you covered. But again, I said one of the most. Not the most, mostly, the most, or any other combination.

Also core isn't just your abs, it's also your posterior chain.

And i"d add squats and deadlifts are likely your best way to build up your core anyway. not doing never ending situps.

The primary exercises people associate with core work are planks, bosu ball junk and situps ++ though. I disagree, as if you would not expect to grow strong and big biceps by isometrically contracting/having it stabilize as a supporting muscle in an exercise, so why would we do the same for our abs/front core or lumbar region ++. Working it through a deep range of motion with focus on more eccentric length thus more damage/adaptations to a bigger area with control will always yield superior results compared to just using it as a stabilizer and supporting musculature.

Its just a limited view/agenda put out there by autopilot lazy youtube or celebrity PT's. Why would the core region respond differently to strength and growth stimulus than other muscles? More movement of a muscle and surrounding tissues equals more growth and more strength gained over a larger area than just contracting isometrically without moving, and it doesnt even do that in many cases for the front core/abs as its merely there to stabilize because we cant have our trunk flexing randomly in a squat for example.

I can say I did deadlifts, and then I went cross county skiing with a classic stylr which requires a lot of strength in lumbar flexion, and I had spasms and tons of issues by the end of it. And I was someone who used my lumbar back more than others in a dlift, but its just not comparable to loading up a Jefferson Curl and getting **** cranked strong and mobile in the lower back. And also getting isolated work and tension on ONLY that area, especially in the deeper stretch which in my experience is a key factor for athleticism/strength and injury resistance ++.

I wouldn't recommend biceps work for anyone not body building. Your core gets trained just fine with squats, deadlifts, reverse hypers, hypers, glut ham raises, pull throughs, and if you must some isolation with WEIGHTED sit ups. All that yoga core stuff isn't going to do much for an athlete.

Except if you have knee osteoarthritis lol

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[gfycat][/gfycat]
swyftdahoe
Senior
And1: 536

Post#69 » by swyftdahoe » Tue May 14, 2024 10:32 pm

Unusually high center of gravity
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,012

Post#70 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:49 am

chrismikayla wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
MMyhre wrote:The primary exercises people associate with core work are planks, bosu ball junk and situps ++ though. I disagree, as if you would not expect to grow strong and big biceps by isometrically contracting/having it stabilize as a supporting muscle in an exercise, so why would we do the same for our abs/front core or lumbar region ++. Working it through a deep range of motion with focus on more eccentric length thus more damage/adaptations to a bigger area with control will always yield superior results compared to just using it as a stabilizer and supporting musculature.

Its just a limited view/agenda put out there by autopilot lazy youtube or celebrity PT's. Why would the core region respond differently to strength and growth stimulus than other muscles? More movement of a muscle and surrounding tissues equals more growth and more strength gained over a larger area than just contracting isometrically without moving, and it doesnt even do that in many cases for the front core/abs as its merely there to stabilize because we cant have our trunk flexing randomly in a squat for example.

I can say I did deadlifts, and then I went cross county skiing with a classic stylr which requires a lot of strength in lumbar flexion, and I had spasms and tons of issues by the end of it. And I was someone who used my lumbar back more than others in a dlift, but its just not comparable to loading up a Jefferson Curl and getting **** cranked strong and mobile in the lower back. And also getting isolated work and tension on ONLY that area, especially in the deeper stretch which in my experience is a key factor for athleticism/strength and injury resistance ++.

Except if you have knee osteoarthritis lol

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

lol, good luck getting into the NBA :)

Return to The General Board