JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams]

Moderators: Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199

Who's going to be the new Lakers head coach?

Poll ended at Tue May 21, 2024 3:09 pm

JJ Redick
33%
James Borrego
5%
Sam Cassell
39%
David Adelman
5%
Micah Nori
5%
Chris Quinn
5%
Other (mention in reply)
9%

Total votes: 64

Camby_Bamby
Ballboy
And1: 38

Re: JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams] 

Post#61 » by Camby_Bamby » Tue May 14, 2024 8:30 pm

Hoping it's Reddick for purely entertainment purposes. It'll be a train wreck regardless.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,990

Re: JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams] 

Post#62 » by Xatticus » Tue May 14, 2024 9:26 pm

JayMKE wrote:Redick hasn’t ever coached, IDK why his name keeps coming up for jobs.

Sam Cassell has put in a ton of work as an assistant in a couple different places, ex player and big personality so think he could be good fit for Lakers/Lebron of the names listed but yea he’d be a first time HC.

It insults the profession when an individual with zero coaching experience is in consideration for a vacancy at the highest level.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,460

Post#63 » by PushDaRock » Tue May 14, 2024 9:34 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:LA wants a Grinder
The leading candidate is Lebron's podcast buddy
Giggles

I like JJ. Smart, entertaining dude. But this has Steve Nash vibes. Star's buddy who sounds great in press conferences but with no proven leadership skills.

I would like to see Nash get another chance, hard to fairly judge him on the dysfunctional situation he was put into.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by PushDaRock » Tue May 14, 2024 9:35 pm

Xatticus wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Redick hasn’t ever coached, IDK why his name keeps coming up for jobs.

Sam Cassell has put in a ton of work as an assistant in a couple different places, ex player and big personality so think he could be good fit for Lakers/Lebron of the names listed but yea he’d be a first time HC.

It insults the profession when an individual with zero coaching experience is in consideration for a vacancy at the highest level.

It's worked out well before like with Steve Kerr.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,406

Post#65 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 9:35 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
Giggles

I like JJ. Smart, entertaining dude. But this has Steve Nash vibes. Star's buddy who sounds great in press conferences but with no proven leadership skills.

I would like to see Nash get another chance, hard to fairly judge him on the dysfunctional situation he was put into.

Okay.

But the issues here are the same. Nash got that job because KD liked him for their time together at Golden State. Nash didn't get the job because he was qualified, he got it because KD wanted him to get it.

And then he clearly wasn't up for the job he got. Doesn't mean Nash can't ever be a good head coach or that JJ can't now or in the future, but I hate the process.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Camby_Bamby
Ballboy
And1: 38

Post#66 » by Camby_Bamby » Tue May 14, 2024 9:38 pm

Xatticus wrote:

This is why nepotism corrupts professions. Not gonna lie - Giannas’ brothers having roster spots, Bronny getting a spot on the Lakers, Klutch Sports operating practically as a Lebron front company, and Reddick potentially being able to coach the Lakers are all on the same continuum.

Just not a good look for the league or the franchises that endorse it. Luckily for them, the NBA is about entertainment first and basketball second.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by PushDaRock » Tue May 14, 2024 9:44 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Giggles

Okay.

But the issues here are the same. Nash got that job because KD liked him for their time together at Golden State. Nash didn't get the job because he was qualified, he got it because KD wanted him to get it.

And then he clearly wasn't up for the job he got. Doesn't mean Nash can't ever be a good head coach or that JJ can't now or in the future, but I hate the process.

It's not like it had no precedent though. Jason Kidd and Steve Kerr got HC jobs without ever being Assistants. In Kerr's case, it worked out extremely well. Nash's Basketball IQ is off the charts and he was known as a connector and leader throughout his career, it wasn't a stretch to think those qualities would translate over well to coaching.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,296

Post#68 » by John Murdoch » Tue May 14, 2024 9:47 pm

Barrego got ran over by a man with burnt lasagna on his head bro..hard pass. Gimmie Nori
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Texas Chuck
And1: 90,406

Post#69 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 9:49 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:

Okay.

It's not like it had no precedent though. Jason Kidd and Steve Kerr got HC jobs without ever being Assistants. In Kerr's case, it worked out extremely well. Nash's Basketball IQ is off the charts and he was known as a connector and leader throughout his career, it wasn't a stretch to think those qualities would translate over well to coaching.

Kerr had worked in TV which was a real showcase for his basketball intellect. And he wasn't ever a star player which tends to help. Often times the stars can't relate to those who don't have their gifts.

And I think most would agree Kidd wasn't ready for the job. He's admitted as much himself and about how much he learned having to swallow his pride and be an assistant in LA. And frankly most still consider him one of the worst head coaches, right?

Again this isn't about whether or not Nash can be a good coach or not. Or about JJ. It's about a flawed process where you aren't evaluating candidates on their merits but simply hiring the guy the star wants. That might work of course. But there has to be a better way to choose a coach.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,751

Post#70 » by Michael Jackson » Tue May 14, 2024 10:01 pm

Sam Cassell easily. In a game of technological advances you always chose the alien as he has advanced technology.
The Warrior
Head Coach
And1: 10,190

Post#71 » by The Warrior » Tue May 14, 2024 10:01 pm

The yes man to LeBron. Don't even have to say his name.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using RealGM Forums mobile app
KodiakBear
Sixth Man
And1: 2,203

Post#72 » by KodiakBear » Tue May 14, 2024 10:07 pm

It should be JJ Redick. The others would just be a repeat of Vogel and Ham.

Vogel shouldn't have been fired. His record in games coached with both Bron and the Brow was elite.
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,773

Post#73 » by ryguy613 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:07 pm

Lotta great options here.... yessir... lotta.... great... options...

sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#74 » by sikma42 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:10 pm

KodiakBear wrote:It should be JJ Redick. The others would just be a repeat of Vogel and Ham.

Vogel shouldn't have been fired. His record in games coached with both Bron and the Brow was elite.

So the others get LA a title?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,502

Post#75 » by levon » Tue May 14, 2024 10:22 pm

I think we can all agree there's no formula to figure out who's going to be a good head coach and that it's basically a crap shoot. The Lakers are at least getting one thing right in that they're trying a lot of different people until one sticks. What they're getting wrong is often trying the wrong people.
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,773

Post#77 » by ryguy613 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:29 pm

levon wrote:I think we can all agree there's no formula to figure out who's going to be a good head coach and that it's basically a crap shoot. The Lakers are at least getting one thing right in that they're trying a lot of different people until one sticks. What they're getting wrong is often trying the wrong people.

i think the reality is all the good head coaches are already employed. They had a shot at Ty Lue, but they blew it. They wanted to have Jason Kidd, but Vogel's immediate success made that impossible. Now there just arent any options that inspire a lot of confidence.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,431

Post#78 » by JellosJigglin » Tue May 14, 2024 11:01 pm

Memories wrote:It's gonna be Redick. And I'm gonna laugh.

They just hiring Lebron's buddies at this point and catering to his every whim.

I agree but what choice do the Lakers have? Lebron is close to uncoachable. The dude wanted Spo fired. At least hiring his guy puts the blame on him. If you're GM Rob Pelinka, that would make you feel much safer. There isn't another Spo out there so what difference does it make. All the candidates look either ran through or virgins.
FrobeBryant
Senior
And1: 810

Post#79 » by FrobeBryant » Tue May 14, 2024 11:06 pm

I figured they would wait until the Ty Lue extension was official before moving on to other candidates. There's currently no other team looking for a head coach so I really don't see a reason to rush.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,486

Post#80 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 14, 2024 11:14 pm

socal74 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Memories wrote:It's gonna be Redick. And I'm gonna laugh.

They just hiring Lebron's buddies at this point and catering to his every whim.

I know you meant this in a negative way, but catering to Lebron's every whim has brough each franchise he has played for a championship. Who wouldn't take that, even with all the negatives it brings?
sorry to tell you but the lakers have 16 prior. Don't give a **** about Lebrons every whim. He's not the Lakers savior as his stans tend to bring up. This is the one franchise that Lebron stans don't have aleg to stand on. Lakers was ok before and will be ok after Lebron. This isn't the Cavs. This is the marquee franchise of the league

The marquee franchise of the league is run by Jerry Buss's 6 children all with an equal vote on how the team is run. They care a lot about how big their share of the profits is going to be. So much as LeBron can still affect that he will have the support of the franchise.

Return to The General Board