Rate Draymond Greens work as a studio show member

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Vote

5 out of 5
9%
4 out of 5
9%
3 out of 5
8%
2 out of 5
15%
1 out of 5
59%

Total votes: 199

picc
RealGM
And1: 18,410

Re: Rate Draymond Greens work as a studio show member 

Post#61 » by picc » Wed May 15, 2024 7:46 pm

I thought it was absolutely wild Draymond was allowed to studio analyze a game that had the guy he choked out on court.

These corporations really don't give a flying **** about anything but money and ratings.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,996

Post#62 » by cdubbz » Wed May 15, 2024 7:53 pm

picc wrote:I thought it was absolutely wild Draymond was allowed to studio analyze a game that had the guy he choked out on court.

These corporations really don't give a flying **** about anything but money and ratings.

It's not like they let Draymond Green at the game commenting live on Gobert. Jeez the soft era is showing.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
picc
RealGM

Post#63 » by picc » Wed May 15, 2024 7:55 pm

cdubbz wrote:
picc wrote:I thought it was absolutely wild Draymond was allowed to studio analyze a game that had the guy he choked out on court.

It's not like they let Draymond Green at the game commenting live on Gobert. Jeez the soft era is showing.

It's just bad taste. Let him analyze a Celtics game.
holdenwait
Sixth Man
And1: 1,808

Post#64 » by holdenwait » Wed May 15, 2024 8:00 pm

I was mildly surprised to see an official broadcast partner platforming this guy who was just "indefinitely" suspended few months ago for more cheap shots/violent behavior. petty Gobert thing was the icing on the cake
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,097

Post#65 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:29 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
TheGeneral99 wrote:I think people have to come to the realization that just because you were a really good NBA player, it doesn't necessarily make you a really basketball analyst or coach.

We've seen historically that's quite rare for a hall of fame NBA player to excel as a coach.

By that same token, just because you never played in the NBA, it doesn't mean that you can't be an elite analyst, scout or coach. Guys like Larry Brown, the Van Gundy's, Popovich, Mike Malone, Thibs, Spoelstra, Nurse, Buldenhozer etc. never played in the NBA, but are some of the best coaches.

Obviously it's a benefit to have someone with actual NBA experience, but it's 'necessary' to have that.

The irony is that the same NBA players complaining how bad the media is with their hot takes are some of the most opiniated 'hot take' guys we've ever seen.

If you see some of Dray's pods, he's a very rare exception who can speak to the game in a rather detailed and yet approachable way.

Sure and I don't disagree. There is definitely a benefit to hearing a player's experiences, thought process, analysis...but many players that have podcasts these days have some of the worst hot takes around. They aren't immune to non-factual opinionated analysis. While Draymond is very good in many respects, he let's his own personal feuds with players cloud his opinions/analysis regularly.

Obviously there are great players that make for great analysts.

But just because someone never played in the NBA, it doesn't mean they can't analyze and coach the game at an elite level.

If he sticks with it, it'll be interesting to see.

If you recall chuck was EXCEPTIONAL when he started...like actually knew players. About 5 years later he was still effectively citing scouting reports from his playing days as guys aged out. And now he's useless.

Dray by contrast really has a deep knowledge of the x's and o's. The game planning and so on. He sees the stuff that you need to be deep into that stuff to explain...and that's desperately needed because....well frankly I don't know the names of these plays teams are running and I need people to explain some of that. I can see a play is being done more than the average fan. But to see how many arms and legs that same play can be turned into if you will...that takes more time than I have to watch game film.

To your point however...yeah dray can't get past his ego. That's a huge issue with a lot of theses guys.
fast+forward
Junior
And1: 311

Post#66 » by fast+forward » Wed May 15, 2024 9:46 pm

Imagine anyone getting a job when there's footage of them violently attacking a coworker and knocking them out cold.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 665

Post#67 » by Pipp33 » Wed May 15, 2024 10:34 pm

There is zero doubt that Draymond has an excellent mind for the game and is natural on camera.

Where he loses people is his inability to not let his personal feelings on players impact his takes. His hatred and jealousy of Gobert (because of his MANY DPOY awards) is so blatant.
Whilst there could be some constructive criticism of the defense played on Jokic at times, who in the league is stopping Jokic at that end of the floor? Every player has moments when that are beaten and other moments when they just make mistakes, including Draymond. No ONE player is going to stop Jokic for an entire game.

And Draymond's attempt to deride Gobert's native language is typical American bully crap. He might think it was playful, but I find it ignorant when people who only speak one language, try to make fun of native languages of someone who speaks MULTIPLE lanuages fluently (probably reading too much into that, but it's one of my pet hates).
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,081

Post#68 » by thinktank » Wed May 15, 2024 10:40 pm

cdubbz wrote:

The soft era here is defined by Draymond being OBSESSED with Gobert.

Gobert doesn’t give a **** about Draymond.

Remember that.
KAT in the 2024 playoffs: 19.1, 9.0, 2.6 on 46.6 / 36.1 / 85.5.
picc
RealGM

Post#69 » by picc » Wed May 15, 2024 10:46 pm

Pipp33 wrote: I find it ignorant when people who only speak one language, try to make fun of native languages of someone who speaks MULTIPLE lanuages fluently (probably reading too much into that, but it's one of my pet hates).

No. If anything you're under-reacting. Its absolutely a brain dead move that lets you know the person is less capable of high-order thinking.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#70 » by cdubbz » Thu May 16, 2024 12:30 am

thinktank wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

Remember that.

lol I’ll try to remember that. :lol:

Trash talk & beef has always been a part of the game professionally and casually. Green could have not said anything, but look how much talk there is now about Gobert and his effectiveness on defense. It’s a real conversation.

A lot of players don’t give a damn what the media says but Green is media.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
___Rand___
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Post#71 » by ___Rand___ » Thu May 16, 2024 12:39 am

You missed an option. 0.

He's 0 out of 5.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,277

Post#72 » by HomoSapien » Thu May 16, 2024 12:45 am

Terrible. The blessing in disguise about Turner losing the NBA is that it'll prevent Green from taking over Inside the NBA one day.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,081

Post#73 » by thinktank » Thu May 16, 2024 12:48 am

cdubbz wrote:
thinktank wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

Remember that.

Trash talk & beef has always been a part of the game professionally and casually. Green could have not said anything, but look how much talk there is now about Gobert and his effectiveness on defense. It’s a real conversation.

It’s not a real conversation. Look around. Almost no one here agrees with you.

If you’re having a conversation about it it’s with yourself because I haven’t seen anyone here supporting you.

Check the poll. That’s a good gauge of consensus. ;) (As are 4 DPOY awards. :) )
KAT in the 2024 playoffs: 19.1, 9.0, 2.6 on 46.6 / 36.1 / 85.5.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,506

Post#74 » by Black Jack » Thu May 16, 2024 12:55 am

Dray is the next Barkley like it or not. He has grudges against current player but when he retires and calms down he'll be great because he knows the game and is funny.

That said I think having active players as studio analysts is really odd and sort of unfair. They just cannot be even a bit neutral while they're still competitors and have to cover teams/guys they compete with.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,083

Post#75 » by LaLover11 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:24 am

Shaq Mini me
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,991

Post#76 » by Tim Lehrbach » Thu May 16, 2024 1:30 am

"No more questions for you bro."
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,915

Post#77 » by Kalela » Thu May 16, 2024 1:32 am

He is honest and straightforward. Not a whole lot of BS that makes no sense like Kenny does often.
Fire Mazzulla
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 12,051

Post#78 » by Nate505 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:33 am

Black Jack wrote:Dray is the next Barkley like it or not.

Yeah, the Great Value version.
RAPSinCAPS
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#79 » by RAPSinCAPS » Thu May 16, 2024 1:33 am

Sgt Major wrote:He's smart, but extremely petty, so listening to him when talking about people he likes or dislikes is quite annoying.

Rudy does not deserve what he's saying about him.

There's nothing smart about him. Weak analysis and terrible presence.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#80 » by cdubbz » Thu May 16, 2024 2:10 am

thinktank wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
thinktank wrote:

Remember that.

It’s not a real conversation. Look around. Almost no one here agrees with you.

If you’re having a conversation about it it’s with yourself because I haven’t seen anyone here supporting you.

Check the poll. That’s a good gauge of consensus. ;) (As are 4 DPOY awards. :) )

It's a real conversation.

Check out NBA player podcasts that talk about Rudy Goberts defense whether they're defending him or against him.

Dwight Howard credited his defense, but he went with Wemby for DPOY.
Gilbert Arenas said Wemby was robbed of DPOY
Rasheed Wallace said Gobert isn't an enforcer type defender like Mutumbo or Ben Wallace.

ESPN and Fox are talking about Gober'ts defense against Jokic.

Return to The General Board