Would you consider a Celtics championship one of the easiest of all time?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Would you consider a Celtics championship one of the easiest of all time?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 174

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,822

Re: Would you consider a Celtics championship one of the easiest of all time? 

Post#61 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:54 pm

Interestingly the Celtics had the best record of any team against Western conference teams.
Sign here
dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,352

Post#62 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:58 pm

reload141 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
reload141 wrote:
You’re so right mate.

Clearly this championship run doesn’t count, let’s just cancel this years playoffs and all try again next year.

And if any player is hurt in the playoffs next year, we should forefit that year too, until we finally have a playoffs where EVERYONE is healthy.

I never said it does not count, just that it is one of the easiest of all time. You don't need to twist my words.

Totally mate. It’s one of the easiest paths in the history of all sports for a team.

I am 100% behind you on this. We all agree too.

That’s why we should just forfeit.

brackdan70
RealGM

Post#63 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:01 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
reload141 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
I never said it does not count, just that it is one of the easiest of all time. You don't need to twist my words.

Totally mate. It’s one of the easiest paths in the history of all sports for a team.

When don’t have anything to contribute post a meme. Or start a general board thread.
Sign here
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,796

Post#64 » by CoP » Thu May 16, 2024 6:03 pm

Not sure. I would definitely consider it to be the championship that produced the most RealGM GB tears. Or it would at least be tied with the Lakers' bubble title.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,727

Post#65 » by reload141 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:04 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
reload141 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

It’s going to be OKAY.

I’m right behind you and will support you through this.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,521

Post#66 » by celtxman » Thu May 16, 2024 6:19 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
You said Butler was cooked because that's an excuse for him not being there in that series.

Celtics won both series handily. No need to make excuses. I think the whole narrative that teams would have beaten or been more competitive if they had player x healthy is the definition of making excuses.

No making excuses is what you did. Just say you got a break by Heat not having Butler but you would have won anyway. But don't say he was cooked and Cavs were better without Mitchell. Neither are true and you know that

C'mon now - this whole thread was created to take credit from the Celtics. Meh they won 64 games....they're boring and whatever thread that will be created in an hour.
The "mystique " of Jimmy Butler has gotten tired. Somehow this aura he has centers around missing games and wondering about his hairstyle. Even Pat Riley told him to shut up. Celtics swept the regular season including a big win in Miami but of course it Miami would have won.
The Celtics often shoot themselves in the foot when star players are out. They beat the Cavs twice in the regular season with Mitchell, but lost when he was out. That's what Brackdan was alluding to.
Celtics were 4-1 against the Knicks.
So yes despite the Porzingis injury the Celtics are generally healthier than their opponents. As to easiest run to the championship, I'll take our borderline all star center back, healthy, before I say anything is easy.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#67 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 6:24 pm

celtxman wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Celtics won both series handily. No need to make excuses. I think the whole narrative that teams would have beaten or been more competitive if they had player x healthy is the definition of making excuses.

No making excuses is what you did. Just say you got a break by Heat not having Butler but you would have won anyway. But don't say he was cooked and Cavs were better without Mitchell. Neither are true and you know that

C'mon now - this whole thread was created to take credit from the Celtics. Meh they won 64 games....they're boring and whatever thread that will be created in an hour.
The "mystique " of Jimmy Butler has gotten tired. Somehow this aura he has centers around missing games and wondering about his hairstyle. Even Pat Riley told him to shut up. Celtics swept the regular season including a big win in Miami but of course it Miami would have won.
The Celtics often shoot themselves in the foot when star players are out. They beat the Cavs twice in the regular season with Mitchell, but lost when he was out. That's what Brackdan was alluding to.
So yes despite the Porzingis injury the Celtics are generally healthier than their opponents. As to easiest run to the championship, I'll take our borderline all star center back, healthy, before I say anything is easy.

You can't go through each team and they have injuries and just discredit the injured player completely just to lift your team up. That's not to say you wouldn't have won the series anyway, but that guy tried to act as if the Heat and Cavs were better off without Butler and Mitchell there ain't no way. What's next Brunson gets injured "well the Knicks are better without Brunson anyway" "Nuggets are better without Jokic anyway" Come on.

Y'all don't have to take offense to people saying you have an easy path in the East, you do have a historically easy path in the East. Doesn't matter you're team will have to prove themselves in the Finals to win a Championship and that's all that really matters in the end.
sammo89
Junior
And1: 210

Post#68 » by sammo89 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:32 pm

Haven't even bothered watching them.
SparksAC
Junior
And1: 367

Post#69 » by SparksAC » Thu May 16, 2024 6:34 pm

Easiest is still imo the Durant + Warrior's team. They have the largest skill gap against any of the teams they have played against, whereas Boston is not a lot better than Denver.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,774

Post#70 » by Slax » Thu May 16, 2024 6:35 pm

The 87 Lakers sailed through the Western Conference without having to play a single team that won more than 42 games, then got to beat up on a Celtics team with all three of its best players dealing with injuries (Bird was playing through a back injury, McHale never really recovered from his broken foot, and Parish had suffered a sprained ankle earlier in the playoffs). Unless the team that comes out of the West is unexpectedly decimated by injuries, the Celtics' playoff run should be meaningfully more challenging than that.
reload141
RealGM

Post#71 » by reload141 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:35 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
celtxman wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

You can't go through each team and they have injuries and just discredit the injured player completely just to lift your team up. That's not to say you wouldn't have won the series anyway, but that guy tried to act as if the Heat and Cavs were better off without Butler and Mitchell there ain't no way. What's next Brunson gets injured "well the Knicks are better without Brunson anyway" "Nuggets are better without Jokic anyway" Come on.

Y'all don't have to take offense to people saying you have an easy path in the East, you do have a historically easy path in the East. Doesn't matter your team will have to prove themselves in the Finals to win a Championship and that's all that really matters in the end.

Maybe teams should hire better trainers, support staff, nutritionists?

Maybe star players should put more care into their bodies rather than their hairstyles and trolling people? (Butler?)

Maybe stars should take more precautions and be ready for the playoffs hey?
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#72 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 6:43 pm

reload141 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
celtxman wrote:C'mon now - this whole thread was created to take credit from the Celtics. Meh they won 64 games....they're boring and whatever thread that will be created in an hour.

Y'all don't have to take offense to people saying you have an easy path in the East, you do have a historically easy path in the East. Doesn't matter your team will have to prove themselves in the Finals to win a Championship and that's all that really matters in the end.

Maybe star players should put more care into their bodies rather than their hairstyles and trolling people? (Butler?)

That has nothing to do with what people are saying though. If you beat a G-League team you're not going to get a ton of credit for beating that team. It doesn't matter the reason why. Why do you need credit for beating bad teams in the East your team has been to the ECF 6 out of 8 years. Like Draymond said no one cares anymore. The only thing that matters is winning a championship. That's all that matters. You're probably going to have to go through that guy in Denver or Dallas, it won't be the cakewalk like in the East. If you win you'll get all the credit you crave. If you don't win, you won't.
reload141
RealGM

Post#73 » by reload141 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:48 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
reload141 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

That has nothing to do with what people are saying though. If you beat a G-League team you're not going to get a ton of credit for beating that team. It doesn't matter the reason why. Why do you need credit for beating bad teams in the East your team has been to the ECF 6 out of 8 years. Like Draymond said no one cares anymore. The only thing that matters is winning a championship. That's all that matters. You're probably going to have to go through that guy in Denver or Dallas, it won't be the cakewalk like in the East. If you win you'll get all the credit you crave. If you don't win, you won't.

Mate. I don’t crave credit at all.

It’s this notion that everything is “easy” well, then the rest of the Eastern Conference should be ashamed of themselves for not keeping up with the times.

It’s not on Boston whatsoever.

I agree with Draymond, it’s championship or bust.

Anyone else’s opinion about how “easy” it has been for Boston to win it all, IF that happens is just salty that their team and that organization, aren’t competent enough to build a good roster, have great leadership from top to bottom, doctors, trainers, management.

Everything.

We aren’t making these threads, just salty fans from other fan bases are, and really they should be turning their attention to their own team and getting mad.
playoffs
Sixth Man
And1: 2,979

Post#74 » by playoffs » Thu May 16, 2024 6:49 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
playoffs wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:-Beat the 8th-seed Heat without Jimmy Butler
-Beat the Cavs without Donovan Mitchell and Jarret Allen
-Beat the Knicks without Julius Randle and Mitchell Robinson or the Pacers
-Beat whatever beaten-up team comes out alive from the West

How is this easier than any of Lebron's Heat/Cavs trips to the finals 2011-2018?

Well, I didn't say it was easier than any of those, I said, one of the easiest.

How many is "one of the"? Like top 75 easiest?
art_tatum
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,226

Post#75 » by art_tatum » Thu May 16, 2024 6:52 pm

Up there with the 23 nuggets and 2020 lakers for easiest in recent memory yea
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#76 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:55 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
celtxman wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Re read my initial comment. The OP stated the Cavs were without Mitchell.
I stated that Mitchell played in three games and the Cavs actually played better in the final two games without him. This is all true. I also stated that Butler is toast. My opinion. You read into that that that I am making excuses. The Celtics don’t need any excuses, they won both series handily by large point differentials. Butler or Mitchell for those last two games don’t make that up.
Sign here
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,796

Post#77 » by CoP » Thu May 16, 2024 7:08 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:That has nothing to do with what people are saying though. If you beat a G-League team you're not going to get a ton of credit for beating that team. It doesn't matter the reason why. Why do you need credit for beating bad teams in the East your team has been to the ECF 6 out of 8 years. Like Draymond said no one cares anymore. The only thing that matters is winning a championship. That's all that matters. You're probably going to have to go through that guy in Denver or Dallas, it won't be the cakewalk like in the East. If you win you'll get all the credit you crave. If you don't win, you won't.

Sure, but part of the reason why it's a cakewalk is because the Celtics are a well-constructed team that can still win even if one of their stars is out and that has players that put in full effort for the entire regular season, which leads to high seeding and therefore favorable matchups. That's a credit to the Celtics, not the opposite.

I just think calling everything they've done easy is a discredit to how they've operated the entire season, which has allowed them to be in this position where they can still dominate lower seeds despite their 20/7/6 starting center being out for most of the playoffs.

All that said, I completely agree that no one will care unless the Celtics win the championship.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,911

Post#78 » by Triple M » Thu May 16, 2024 7:08 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
reload141 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Then why is this thread discrediting it prematurely. Most Celtics fans have long realized this is championship or bust. I dont think most Celtic fans are even looking for praise but i dont understand why there is a referendum on the Celics season in all 20 of their losses and now even wins. I never seen a team get judge like that but im like whatever thst talk goes away when they win. But now the OP is telling me it was easy if they win. The discourse when it comes to the Celtics doesn't make sense.
dirkdiggler4177
Rookie

Post#79 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:56 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
reload141 wrote:

When don’t have anything to contribute post a meme. Or start a general board thread.

I would reply with something more serious, but your reply was just too emotional and did not contain any argument for why this potential would be considered one of the easiest of all time.
dirkdiggler4177
Rookie

Post#80 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:09 pm

playoffs wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
playoffs wrote:How is this easier than any of Lebron's Heat/Cavs trips to the finals 2011-2018?

Well, I didn't say it was easier than any of those, I said, one of the easiest.

How many is "one of the"? Like top 75 easiest?

I started watching about 16 years ago, so I won't comment on the way back, but my impression was that the 90s was not "easy".

I would not consider it on the level of 2018 Golden State Warriors, just because they were impossible to beat. The 2014-15 Golden State had a pretty easy road when you see the team they had to face. The Grizz were good though.
The big thing here is that the Celtics have played teams without their star player, which really hurt.

Return to The General Board