Mavs might not be able to afford to keep Derrick Jones Jr.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Re: Mavs might not be able to afford to keep Derrick Jones Jr. 

Post#61 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 19, 2024 8:13 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Cuban I guess. It's happened less than it did during the late-Dirk era when it felt like they were constantly letting the 2011 vets walk in the name of going big game hunting in free agency. Before that it was Steve Nash.

Lately there's the Brunson thing (though I've written at length about how I felt there was some super bad luck timing involved in how Brunson was being valued and when he was eligible to sign). I didn't love losing DFS to pursue Kyrie, but it's hard to feel negatively about that right now as things are working out. Dallas has bounced back, but it's hard to ignore that they already had Brunson and DFS on the roster and have had to do a LOT of work (and spend a lot of draft picks) to get the roster back to a similar place.

Cuban sold his majority stake in the team in December. I am not really a Cuban fan at all so I was glad. While obviously it worked out getting Luka another Cuban blunder was missing out on Giannis which Donnie Nelson had scouted, but Cuban wanted to trade down to chase Dwight Howard who never came. The Mavs instead drafted Shane Larkin son of baseball player Barry Larkin. Shane is not even in the NBA anymore while Giannis has 2 MVPs and a championship. But again sometimes things work out for the best by accident we got Luka can't complain, it's not as if we would have had both Giannis and Luka because GIannis would have improved the team I would think.

Interestingly enough when Kidd signed his extension recently he thanked the new Mavs owner and GM Nico Harrison, he did not mention Cuban at all. Cuban still owns 27% of the Mavs he's just not majority owner.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,700

Post#62 » by MavsDirk41 » Sun May 19, 2024 8:21 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
Cuban I guess. It's happened less than it did during the late-Dirk era when it felt like they were constantly letting the 2011 vets walk in the name of going big game hunting in free agency. Before that it was Steve Nash.

Lately there's the Brunson thing (though I've written at length about how I felt there was some super bad luck timing involved in how Brunson was being valued and when he was eligible to sign). I didn't love losing DFS to pursue Kyrie, but it's hard to feel negatively about that right now as things are working out. Dallas has bounced back, but it's hard to ignore that they already had Brunson and DFS on the roster and have had to do a LOT of work (and spend a lot of draft picks) to get the roster back to a similar place.

Cuban sold his majority stake in the team in December. I am not really a Cuban fan at all so I was glad. While obviously it worked out getting Luka another Cuban blunder was missing out on Giannis which Donnie Nelson had scouted, but Cuban wanted to trade down to chase Dwight Howard who never came. The Mavs instead drafted Shane Larkin son of baseball player Barry Larkin. Shane is not even in the NBA anymore while Giannis has 2 MVPs and a championship. But again sometimes things work out for the best by accident we got Luka can't complain, it's not as if we would have had both Giannis and Luka because GIannis would have improved the team I would think.

Interestingly enough when Kidd signed his extension recently he thanked the new Mavs owner and GM Nico Harrison, he did not mention Cuban at all. Cuban still owns 27% of the Mavs he's just not majority owner.

Ive been a Mavs fan for over 30 years and i cant stand Cuban for many reasons. Ill be glad when he is no longer an owner of any percentage of this team.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,424

Post#63 » by picc » Sun May 19, 2024 8:31 pm

I remember when Trevor Ariza had a great playoffs with the Lakers, hitting every three and playing great defense, and the next season got a 4 bajillion dollar contract from the Rockets, and looked like trash.

DJJ should stay with the Mavs if he values winning and wants to continue to excel in the league.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,276

Post#64 » by heezyo2o » Sun May 19, 2024 10:05 pm

I get that Derrick Jones likes his teammates and likes being in Dallas, but as role player who averages less than 10ppg and has jumped from team to team....if someone offers him a big contract then he's going to take that and he should.
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,739

Post#65 » by ChuckChilly » Mon May 20, 2024 6:24 am

I don't really see another team paying him big money. He's been bounced around for a reason. It's just the ideal spot for him on the Mavs.
dmakk
Sophomore
And1: 185

Post#66 » by dmakk » Mon May 20, 2024 7:32 am

IMO he'll get full MLE offers, so the Mavs need to clear some space to keep him. THJ's contract also would be more valuable as an expiring to take on salary. All their other contracts aren't bad. I wouldn't blame him for running to the best offer he gets.

Return to The General Board