Sprite Dunk Contestants Announced

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

shaqfan1
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#61 » by shaqfan1 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:13 am

miller31time wrote:No name rookie? There's a reason a Raptors poster created the Nick Young thread - because a lot of people know of Nick Young and his ability to dunk. The man was picked 17th in the draft, just shy of the lotto and was projected to go as high as 11th. If Young made more spectacular dunks this season (keep in mind, he does not complete the majority of them), he'd be in the contest, despite the fact he's playing 14 minutes per game. But he isn't known as a dunker for Washington. His job is to come off the bench and shoot the ball.

Honestly answer these questions.

How much does Nick Young get talked about?

How much national media coverage does Nick Young get?

I mean I don't get why you're even arguing this. He doesn't get regular minutes. His stats are mediocre for a rookie (not top 10). He doesn't really have that many in game dunks. He wasn't one of the hyped rookies before the draft. He was drafted in the mid first round. He doesn't get talked about by the national media. There is no reason you should be arguing that he deserves to be in the dunk contest besides the fact that he is a good dunker (1 out of 1,000 in the NBA) and the fact that he plays for your favorite team.
DuckIII wrote:All 3 of them joining forces in Miami is the NBA's worst nightmare (shared by TNT, ABC, and ESPN)...it is a simple, irrefutable fact, that Wade/LeBron/Bosh in Miami is pretty much the worst possible result from a business perspective.
Kosta
RealGM
And1: 2

Post#62 » by Kosta » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:16 am

Call me crazy, but I feel the fans will vote for the the guy that steals the show and performs the most entertaining dunks. It's not even about name power, it's about the dunks.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#63 » by miller31time » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:17 am

I DON'T feel he should be in the dunk contest, at ALL. I feel like he's an overrated dunker in the NBA.

This whole argument came from when you said he was a bad player, and I countered with "Gerald Green?".

This isn't about Young being in the dunk contest. This is about you saying something and me saying you contradicted yourself.

If 10 points and 3 rebounds in 22 minutes on the Boston Celtics is good, but 7 points and 1 rebound in 14 minutes on the Washington Wizards is bad, then there's something I'm missing.
shaqfan1
General Manager

Post#64 » by shaqfan1 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:28 am

miller31time wrote:I DON'T feel he should be in the dunk contest, at ALL. I feel like he's an overrated dunker in the NBA.

This whole argument came from when you said he was a bad player, and I countered with "Gerald Green?".

I didn't say he was a bad player. Your putting words into my mouth. I said he wasn't considered a good player. What I meant from that is that if you are a good player, you are known by the fans. Nick Young isn't known by the fans because he isn't a good enough basketball player right now to be known by the fans.

miller31time wrote:If 10 points and 3 rebounds in 22 minutes on the Boston Celtics is good, but 7 points and 1 rebound in 14 minutes on the Washington Wizards is bad, then there's something I'm missing.

1. No matter what, 10 ppg and 3 rpg is better than 7 ppg and 1 rpg. It doesn't matter how many minutes the players are playing or what team they're playing for. Green had better stats. Now Young might be making more of an impact with his stats for a better team, but Greens stats are still better.

2. I also said that Green had hype, that's the reason he made it last year. My original "good" comment was about how much you're known by the fans. Green didn't have to be an impact player because he had hype from the draft and the dunks he had done during the season.
DuckIII wrote:All 3 of them joining forces in Miami is the NBA's worst nightmare (shared by TNT, ABC, and ESPN)...it is a simple, irrefutable fact, that Wade/LeBron/Bosh in Miami is pretty much the worst possible result from a business perspective.
shaqfan1
General Manager

Post#65 » by shaqfan1 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:30 am

Kosta wrote:Call me crazy, but I feel the fans will vote for the the guy that steals the show and performs the most entertaining dunks. It's not even about name power, it's about the dunks.

Can you honestly say you would vote for someone else besides Moon if they had the most entertaining dunks?
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by miller31time » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:33 am

When someone says "only good players go to the dunk contest", I'm to assume you don't think the player who the thread is about is "good". I'm also to assume you think he's the opposite of "good" which would be "bad". My mistake.

But do answer this: Is 10 points and 3 rebounds in 22 minutes "good"? Ignoring any non-concrete statement regarding hype, is 10 points and 3 rebounds in 22 minutes "good" and 7 points and 1 rebound in 14 minutes "not good"? If it is, then I'd REALLY say you're stretching your definition to immeasurable levels.
ilikecb4
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by ilikecb4 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:41 am

AirCanada_1515 wrote:You guys are making it sound like Canada is China or something. We only have 200,000 fans who watch our games. If Moon wins, it will be because he deserved it.

yeah but those are 200,000 crazy fans who have no life and sit in front of their computers all day...it's cold outside anyways
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#68 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:55 am

ilikecb4 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

yeah but those are 200,000 crazy fans who have no life and sit in front of their computers all day...it's cold outside anyways

:nod:

I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon I will vote Moon

You will vote MOON...
and I will brainwash you like Tom Cruise did to Katie Holmes
Got Raps FanFiction?
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#69 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:56 am

Anyone whos seen Young play this year knows that hes far from a "no name rookie". Hes going to be one of the best scoring guards in a season or two.
peralta
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#70 » by peralta » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:09 am

Jamario "Apollo 33" Moon! FTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWnSzfFNK8#
risktaker91
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#71 » by risktaker91 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:19 am

Kosta wrote:Call me crazy, but I feel the fans will vote for the the guy that steals the show and performs the most entertaining dunks. It's not even about name power, it's about the dunks.

Agreed.
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,735

Post#72 » by adjacent2bench » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:50 am

Moon will win.
Kosta
RealGM
And1: 2

Post#73 » by Kosta » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:59 am

shaqfan1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Can you honestly say you would vote for someone else besides Moon if they had the most entertaining dunks?

I can honestly say I won't be voting unless it's free on the net or something. I heard it's text message voting? Anyways, I will admit that I won't vote for any other player but Moon, but at the same time I won't vote for Moon if he's not deserving. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, just as long as you're not blindly voting for your guy.

I wouldn't want another Nate Robinson situation to happen, if anything that would hurt Moon's image, at least around here.
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#74 » by TMACFORMVP » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:05 am

I don't think Green will repeat for some odd-reason.

I really think Moon will surprise and Dwight should have some more creative things up his sleeve.

Seems better than last year (not that hard).
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,939

Post#75 » by Nate505 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:22 am

I have no problems with fan voting for the dunk contest.

Fan voting is awful for the ASG, but for dunks the fans will probably get it right.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by miller31time » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:23 am

Nate505 wrote:I have no problems with fan voting for the dunk contest.

Fan voting is awful for the ASG, but for dunks the fans will probably get it right.

You'll take that back once Yao learns how to windmill.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,939

Post#77 » by Nate505 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:25 am

miller31time wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You'll take that back once Yao learns how to windmill.

Touche :)
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#78 » by A.J. » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:38 am

this should be an excellent dunk contest.

gerald green ftw!
prototype
Analyst
And1: 357

Post#79 » by prototype » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:38 am

LOL at the Raptor haters thinking we have a million people watching basketball over hockey. They can't even get Bosh in the all star game with their "millions" of fans how are they going to make Moon win automatically? Use some logic.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#80 » by GJense4181 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:43 am

So many inaccurate and ignorant statements in this thread. I don't know where to begin, so I won't.

I will say that: a) I hate the four man format. I'd rather have three rounds with 8 players, eliminating four, then two, then determining the champion. b) I'm glad they *scrapped* the "three year rule". I like this field of dunkers. Having said that, most veterans aren't interested in competing in the dunk contest anymore. and younger players are more *springy*. c) Fan voting is a GREAT idea. I NEVER agree with the eventual champion. Somebody is robbed every season, and I and the people I watch it with can always identify such injustices. The people at home saw how cool Dwight Howard's dunk was and would have advanced him forward. When JR Smith did his behind the back dunk, I was shocked and appalled. The judges screwed him, despite his originality, because he required multiple attempts (but not on Nate Robinson/Chris Anderson levels).

Return to The General Board