Hornets lead the Western Conference....

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#61 » by carrottop12 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:05 am

TTucker>BGordon wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And if the season ended today the Jazz would be watching the playoffs at home.

Thats my point, it's half way through the season, and yes the Hornets are on top of the West, and if it ended right now these would be the match ups, however if you don't think that through out the entire rest of the season the Spurs, Suns and Mavs all won't win at least 2 more games then you you're smoking rock.

That will take you down to fourth place meaning you are facing either the Nuggets or the Jazz, neither team do I see you beating in a 7 game series.

You've been sneaking up on people so far this season because nobody expected you to be a good team, after the all-star break that will go away, the cream will rise to the top like it always does and the rest will settle.
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#62 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:52 am

Its not set in stone that San Antonio are going to go and win 55 games this year, they've been good for a long time, but perhaps they are declining? Its not unfathomable, especially considering after their big 3 (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili) they have old or ineffective support (parhaps barring Bowen)

The Suns just arent the same force they were a few years ago, no-ones suprised by their style anymore, Amare is a terrible defensive center etc..

I dont think the Hornets will win the West, they may come close though, they've beaten everyone at the top of the Western conference this year already (bar San Antonio?) so whos to say that they're not going to continue that form, it may not be a case of "the cream rising to the top" moreso a coming of age for a sleeping giant ;)
Craig McDermott
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#63 » by Craig McDermott » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:22 am

AKsWill wrote: I would be extremely SHOCKED to see them get out of the first round if they had to play Phoenix, Spurs, Dallas, Houston, Utah and to some extent the Lakers and Nuggets.

If the Lakers sink to a lower seed, they'd be ecstatic to match up w/ Hornets in Round 1. Semis ahoy.
pro2020
Rookie

Post#64 » by pro2020 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:23 pm

ChrisTheFuturePaul wrote:Its not set in stone that San Antonio are going to go and win 55 games this year, they've been good for a long time, but perhaps they are declining? Its not unfathomable, especially considering after their big 3 (Duncan, Parker, Ginobili) they have old or ineffective support (parhaps barring Bowen)

The Suns just arent the same force they were a few years ago, no-ones suprised by their style anymore, Amare is a terrible defensive center etc..

I dont think the Hornets will win the West, they may come close though, they've beaten everyone at the top of the Western conference this year already (bar San Antonio?) so whos to say that they're not going to continue that form, it may not be a case of "the cream rising to the top" moreso a coming of age for a sleeping giant ;)

Or that Injuries play a part in the game? If Paul goes down so do the Hornets, this is what happened with the Spurs during their December stretch, they lost momentum with Duncan/Parker/Ginobili all having injuries one right after another in a crucial part of their schedule facing top Western ball clubs.

Had they started off to a 8-20 (something similar) record then you have a case to speak of about them being over the hill.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Post#65 » by High 5 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:00 pm

The Hornets and Jazz would be a good series. I doubt Utah makes a push big enough to make that happen, but it would be a close one. I'd go with the Hornets, though.
YiYaoYue
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#66 » by YiYaoYue » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:49 pm

I give hornets a lot of props for what they have done considering their inability to fill seats at home and have basically been playing well quietly with very little attention. They made a much bigger deal about lakers being at top then hornets.
Sasha Vujacic = The Phail Machine = The Ring Blocker

Trade Sasha before he ruins the Lakers next season.
Pai Gow
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by Pai Gow » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:45 pm

High 5 wrote:The Hornets and Jazz would be a good series. I doubt Utah makes a push big enough to make that happen, but it would be a close one. I'd go with the Hornets, though.

A big enough push as in a game and a half?? Cause that's all we need to be in a tie for the division and locked into the 4th seed. If Dallas and San Antonio get their act together, which most people believe they will, I see a Hornet/Jazz series as very very likely.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#68 » by carrottop12 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Big test tonight against the Spurs in San Antonio, could be a sign of what sign of what the rest of the season will look like for them.
exkonvict
Bench Warmer

Post#69 » by exkonvict » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Anaheim Hornets. :o

Can't wait.
Dozer!
Senior
And1: 46

Post#70 » by Dozer! » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:56 pm

High 5 wrote:The Hornets and Jazz would be a good series. I doubt Utah makes a push big enough to make that happen, but it would be a close one. I'd go with the Hornets, though.

I dont think some people realize how close teams in the west are. From 1st to 9th there is only a 5.5 game difference. Compare that to the east where the 9th team is 17 games back. The Hornets and the Jazz very well could be a first round match up. With that out of the way congrats to Paul for what he has done so far this season.
Black Jesus 1
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#71 » by Black Jesus 1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:40 pm

2poor wrote:Sorry, "one of the highest."

Also, according to Hollinger anyways, the Hornets SOS would be the 13th easiest, with the likes of the Lakers, Celtics, Nuggets, Spurs, Mavs, Rockets, Suns, Cavs, and Warriors with easier schedules.

link

I got them showing up as 2nd easiest schedule in the NBA, just in front of the Suns.

-I'm not taking anything away from 'em though. 15-5 on the road is impressive.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,326

Post#72 » by JordansBulls » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:44 pm

I would love for the Hornets to get the #1 seed. However even if they did, they more than likely would have to play a team like Utah, Houston or Golden State in round 1 and I think anyone of the teams that can make the playoffs out west can beat them in a series.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
JoeyH
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#73 » by JoeyH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:38 am

Batronuj wrote:Big test tonight against the Spurs in San Antonio, could be a sign of what sign of what the rest of the season will look like for them.

Not really. Were not going to be playng the defending champions every game the rest of the season.
Bradford
Banned User

Post#74 » by Bradford » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:12 am

legacyinthemakin89c wrote:So where are all the fans who said Deron Williams was better then Chris Paul before the season started?
Deron is the better shooter and Paul is the better passer....Pretty close....
Black Jesus 1
Banned User

Post#75 » by Black Jesus 1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:13 am

Bradford wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Deron is the better shooter and Paul is the better passer....Pretty close....

Barely a better shooter.

Paul is a 49% eFG from outside
Deron is a 50% eFG from outside

Very close, and I think Paul has the edge in passing.
Bradford
Banned User

Post#76 » by Bradford » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:19 am

Black Jesus 1 wrote:Barely a better shooter.
Paul: 48.4% fg
Deron: 51.7 % fg

3.3 % is a pretty decent margin....
Black Jesus 1
Banned User

Post#77 » by Black Jesus 1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:23 am

^^^^^^^^^^^ :lol:

eFG% >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FG%
Bradford
Banned User

Post#78 » by Bradford » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:31 am

Black Jesus 1 wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^ :lol:

eFG% >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FG%
I prefer to look at shots attempted and shots made..... :banghead:
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,181
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#79 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:25 am

TS%=True measure of efficiency.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
JoeyH
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#80 » by JoeyH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:26 am

Paul averages 10.5 assists, and 2.6 TOs

Williams averages 9.3 assists, and 3.4 TOs on a faster paced team.

pretty big difference.

Return to The General Board