3 point shooting competition contestents

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

peralta
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#61 » by peralta » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:28 am

Bustabucket wrote:Kobe is freaking 74th in 3pt Percentage. WTF

KB24 is there because he has the name...it's all about business...they didn't wanna invite Calderon to the skills competition because nobody knows him...it's all business this all star games...it's all about money
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#62 » by Walt Cronkite » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:40 am

Bobcat TV announcer (Steve Martin) mentioned that JRich was invited but declined.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#63 » by triplet1984 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:41 am

Rip is 6th in 3 point percentage.
leevii
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#64 » by leevii » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:49 am

peralta wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

KB24 is there because he has the name...it's all about business...they didn't wanna invite Calderon to the skills competition because nobody knows him...it's all business this all star games...it's all about money

We get it Raptor fans, Calderon is having a good year. But why should they invite Calderon over Wade, Paul, Deron, or Kidd?
peralta
Bench Warmer

Post#65 » by peralta » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:53 am

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/allstar/2008/kapono_3pt_practice.asx

Jason Kapono practicing for this year's 3 point contest...ftw
peralta
Bench Warmer

Post#66 » by peralta » Thu Feb 7, 2008 12:56 am

leevii wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We get it Raptor fans, Calderon is having a good year. But why should they invite Calderon over Wade, Paul, Deron, or Kidd?

yeah yeah we get it as well....I'm just pointing out it's fun and all but it still about making money, that's why it doesn't matter about the percentage Kobe is shooting beyond the arc people will pay or turn on the TV to watch him...he is marketable
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#67 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 1:31 am

Go Kobe!!
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#68 » by ldnk » Thu Feb 7, 2008 1:31 am

LakerFanMan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The move doesn't draw people because kobe is a more entertaining 3pt shooter then say, Anthony Parker. It draws people because kobe is 100X more famous then parker. It's the name that does. More people are going to watch if they get to see guys like kobe and nash.

I agree with you though, the split screen thing is more exciting in my opinion. Though it beats up your eyes a bit.

EDIT: When Peja is hot, no one is better then he is from 3. If he gets hot, he has it hands down. I hope kobe wins it though.

How can you be a more entertaining 3-point shooter. Kobe being a name sells, but you can't be entertaining shooting threes when you are up against a clock and throwing up shots with little time for reaction.

I get why Kobe is there, he isn't awful at hitting them, and it gets him in the skills competition where he won't dunk anymore, but you can't make the skills competition more entertaining.
jourdy
Starter
And1: 980

Post#69 » by jourdy » Thu Feb 7, 2008 1:32 am

They should at least be consistent with their picks. It's all about business, I agree, and it's for the entertainment of fans; but why didn't the Slam Dunk competition aim for the stars, rather than scrubs.

The AS Weekend is a chance for these overlooked players to get recognition. Even if they lose, they become famous to the casual fan, so I really didn't understand why the league didn't pick those who deserved to be in it.
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#70 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Thu Feb 7, 2008 1:40 am

peralta wrote:http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/allstar/2008/kapono_3pt_practice.asx

Jason Kapono practicing for this year's 3 point contest...ftw

Raps with another video...i love it!

Looks like he only missed 1 shot from 5 racks
Got Raps FanFiction?
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#71 » by Egg Nog » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:12 am

hayden wrote:Can't believe you guys are complaining about seeing Kobe in the 3pt contest. You guys should be happy. If you are a Kobe fan, you can see him in an event that is new to him, and if you are not, you can cheer against him. And it's not like he's taking away a spot from some star who is getting snubbed. BTW, this is the all-star weekend... not best performance by role player weekend. Also, let's not kid ourselves, Kobe is one of the best clutch 3pt shooters in the game... it would be fun to see how he performs uncontested in competition.

If you're in the all-star game, you're one of the best players in the league.

If you're in the dunk contest, you're one of the best dunkers in the league.

If you're in the rookie challenge, you're one of the best rookies/sophs in the league.

We watch because we want to see people do what they're best at doing. Might as well have Shaq -vs- Dwight in the 3pt shootout if you're not going to make it as competitive as possible.
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#72 » by OhMyBosh » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:17 am

I have no problem with Kobe in it. Once he catches fire, nobody shoots the rock like he does. Nobody has 6 hands in his face from their either.

My guess is a Kapono and Peja final. Pono has been a little streaky lately (and by streaky, I mean 50% shooting). Peja has been absolute fire. So I'm leaning towards Peja.

I don't think Hamilton should be in it. That's my biggest beef so far. If anything, Jason Richardson leads the league in 3pt made (how can he not get an invite...?), Anthony Parker is near 50%, and James Jones has been that high this year too. Bad selection on Richard.
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#73 » by LakerFanMan » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:18 am

ldnk wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
How can you be a more entertaining 3-point shooter. Kobe being a name sells, but you can't be entertaining shooting threes when you are up against a clock and throwing up shots with little time for reaction.

I get why Kobe is there, he isn't awful at hitting them, and it gets him in the skills competition where he won't dunk anymore, but you can't make the skills competition more entertaining.

I didn't say you could, if you read my post again you'll see that I said they didn't invite him because he's more entertaining then anyone else, he's not, it's due to his name.
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#74 » by OhMyBosh » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:21 am

Another thing: The people here who just want to see "stars" compete in this, it'll eventually get boring watching the same 6 ppl miss most of their attempts year after year.

Some players have worked extremely hard to improve on their percentages. They definitely deserve it over so called "stars". They are the best in the league at shooting 3s, so why should they be snubbed? Not every year will they be shooting amazing percentages. They definitely should get their shot when it's their year.
zmac-
Freshman

Post#75 » by zmac- » Thu Feb 7, 2008 7:38 am

Gibson will win, 28+ in all rounds.
D-Dub Lonte. My man.
giordunk
Analyst
And1: 500

Post#76 » by giordunk » Thu Feb 7, 2008 8:55 am

I think Gibson has a bit of a slow release. He like brings the ball down then spots up.
i like peanuts
zmac-
Freshman

Post#77 » by zmac- » Thu Feb 7, 2008 9:13 am

I think quite the opposite, theres times where Boobies fed the ball and you think no way is he gonna rise up in the mans face in time but he does.

Someone wanna find me the video of him from this preseason where hes going nuts from downtown in practice while talking to the camera?
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#78 » by tkb » Thu Feb 7, 2008 9:32 am

You guys do know that people like LeBron and Kobe have no choice about all star Saturday right? NBA introduced a rule a couple of years ago that you have to participate in something on Saturday if the NBA wants you to or else you won't get to play on Sunday in the all star game (if selected).

This is the reason you have seen Kobe in the skills competition and shooting stars competition before, and this is the main reason you'll see him in the shootout this season, when I'm sure he'd rather have an extra day to relax.

The reasoning behind this was to get more star power to skills night because usually the big stars who play on Sunday sat Saturday out.
rutheredfox
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#79 » by rutheredfox » Thu Feb 7, 2008 9:39 am

wow kapono drains.... go watch the video on nba.com
D-Wade
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#80 » by D-Wade » Thu Feb 7, 2008 9:47 am

T.Duncan21 wrote:I don't give a crap if Parker, Jones and J-Rich don't make it. I'd rather see Tmac, Vince, Kobe, Lebron in the 3 point shootout than have these those guys.

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

Return to The General Board