Official All Star Reserves (R. Allen replaces Jameer)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,139

Re: Official All Star Reserves 

Post#61 » by SOUL » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:48 pm

SalamiNCheez wrote:
Soul wrote:
SalamiNCheez wrote:I'm sorry, but Nelson and Lewis aren't All-Stars. The are just good players on a good team. You might as well throw Hedo Turkoglu on the All-Star team as well.

Okay, so tell me a reason to not reward being a good player on a good team?

"Sorry, you played really good this year and your team has one of the best records... but we're going to pick [blank] because he has better stats!"

Being on a good team doesn't make you an all-star. Team records should not be weighted more than individual performances. Vince Carter is way more important to his team than Rashard Lewis is to his.

Dude listen, I'm not disagree or saying Rashard deserved to make it over Vince. I'm saying that its not a travesty that a guy shooting 46FG/42 on 3's averaging 19.5/6/2 and playing solid D (that nobody likes to give credit for), on a TOP 4 team in the NBA gets in over Vince. If you look in the West, you'll notice way bigger snubs.
tlloyd34
Senior
And1: 6

Post#62 » by tlloyd34 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:49 pm

That was a surprise to you? Have you seen what Granger has been doing this season?

Yeah, I saw what he did against the Magic on Tuesday night. Let's compare his stats to Rashard's:

Granger
Pts: 10
FGs: 4-14
Rebs: 2
Assists: 2
Steals: 2
Blocks: 2
TOs: 3

Rashard
Pts: 24
FGs: 9-13
Rebs: 4
Assists: 4
Steals:
Blocks: 1
TOs: 2

Comparing one game's stats is as ridiculous as saying Jameer and Rashard should absolutely have not made it. If you are saying that, then you have no concept of the NBA and do not watch all the teams. Just because VC is more popular than Rashard doesn't mean he is more deserving of an all-star bid! If you look at stats, they are comparable. But, there are other things that coaches take into consideration. Things like intangibles, leadership, and team success.

If VC had made it over Rashard, I would feel the same way. If Ray Allen had made it over Jameer, same thing.

It is just juvenile and moronic to say that any of the players who made the all-star team absolutely should not have made it or it "makes me sick" that a certain player made it. The coaches know the game and the league better than anyone else and obviously think these players are deserving. EVERY nba analyst has said all these players are deserving of making the all-star team. Are all the couches and analyst completely wrong?

My dream is that one day, I can get on this forum and have some educated discussion about the NBA with people who know what they are talking about and not some kid who likes "Vinsanity" because he has cool dunks...
Twitter: @tomthecounselor
Instagram: tomthecounselor
facebook.com/tomthecounselor
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#63 » by TMU » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:49 pm

GJense4181 wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:
GJense4181 wrote:Here's the thing about Jameer Nelson.
If the Pistons were offered him, for free, we'd take him because we only have one worthwhile PG on the roster.
However, he would be coming off of the bench. Rodney Stuckey, starter for the sophomore team, is worth a damn, while Jameer Nelson is not.

The same thing applies to Rashard Lewis. The only way he'd start is if we went small-ball again, and I'd STILL rather start Tayshaun (better rebounder).

So if the Pistons are a worse team, yet TWO of the Magic all-stars would NOT start on our team, what does that say about the caliber of these Magic players? I'll tell you. They're good players, but they're NOT all-stars.

What that tells you is that Michael Curry is not an NBA caliber coach.

OR,
Jameer Nelson would not even start on the majority of teams in the NBA.
Over Bibby? Maybe.
Rondo? No.
Felton? Yes.
Rose? No.
Mo Williams? No.
Kidd? No.
Stuckey? No.
Billups? No.
Crawford? No.
Alston? Yes.
Jack/Ford? No.
Clippers? By default.
Lakers? No, and I'm sure they'd like to bring Fisher off the bench.
Conley? Maybe?
Chalmers? Yes.

Seriously? He's an all-star?

:rofl: you gotta be kidding me. Watch some games man. For instance, did you not watch Nelson dominate both Ford and Calderon in the playoffs?

The guy is shooting 50/45/88 with 17 ppg and over 5 assists. He's definitely better than most players on your list.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#64 » by GJense4181 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:49 pm

[/quote]

Wow.....

You really are something......

So he'd start over Baron Davis, but not Jarrett Jack, TJ Ford........blah blah blah.......

Where is your logic child????[/quote]
Davis is injured.
I could keep going, if you'd like.
kookie_819
Assistant Coach
And1: 55

Post#65 » by kookie_819 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 pm

GJense4181 wrote:

Wow.....

You really are something......

So he'd start over Baron Davis, but not Jarrett Jack, TJ Ford........blah blah blah.......

Where is your logic child????[/quote]
Davis is injured.
I could keep going, if you'd like.[/quote]

I still don't see why you would say Jameer wouldn't start over TJ Ford or Jack. I like Jack for his size and defense, but still... TJ Ford? What has TJ Ford done this season to put him above Jameer?
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#66 » by GYBE » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 pm

Rondo deserved to be selected. Honestly, I would've taken him before Pierce. I understand a young guy needs to bide his time, but he's been the second best Celtic this year.
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#67 » by GJense4181 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:52 pm

kookie_819 wrote:
GJense4181 wrote:
Soul wrote:CONLEY?!

LOL!

Dude, you need to stop. Seriously.

Yeah.
Conley.
A team in the shape of the Grizzlies is better served hoping their #4 draft pick pans out than they would be benefitted by starting Jameer **** Nelson.

But that doesn't mean Conley is better than Nelson...

Nope. But Iverson, Harris, Williams, Miller, Rondo, Rose, etc are.
kookie_819
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by kookie_819 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:53 pm

GYBE wrote:Rondo deserved to be selected. Honestly, I would've taken him before Pierce. I understand a young guy needs to bide his time, but he's been the second best Celtic this year.

Rondo has indeed been playing great. IMO, it was between him and Nelson for that last guard spot. I would've been happy with either one.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#69 » by SOUL » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:54 pm

GJense, even if Nelson isn't really an "allstar", compared to this crop he is. A lot of PG's are on comparable levels but the point is you can't make a case for them over Nelson. Can you make one for Nelson over them? Probably not but I guarantee you any PG selection would have been met with disagreements because thats how close it is.
kandiking
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#70 » by kandiking » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:55 pm

so...Jameer nelson makes the all star team in the east...yet they're "equal" to the west???
Vindicater wrote:KWSN-Men is by far my favourite poster on realgm. He just takes so much punishment and just keeps coming back for more.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#71 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:55 pm

David **** West..DAVID **** WEST..

WHAT THE ****
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#72 » by Malapropism » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:57 pm

West.....
corona
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 234

Post#73 » by corona » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:58 pm

theGreatRC wrote:David **** West..DAVID **** WEST..

WHAT THE ****

precisely.
kdot99
Veteran
And1: 212

Post#74 » by kdot99 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:58 pm

tlloyd34 wrote:Comparing one game's stats is as ridiculous as saying Jameer and Rashard should absolutely have not made it. If you are saying that, then you have no concept of the NBA and do not watch all the teams. Just because VC is more popular than Rashard doesn't mean he is more deserving of an all-star bid! If you look at stats, they are comparable. But, there are other things that coaches take into consideration. Things like intangibles, leadership, and team success.

Why yes, of course that is exactly the reason why VC should of made it.
kookie_819
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by kookie_819 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:58 pm

GJense4181 wrote:Nope. But Iverson, Harris, Williams, Miller, Rondo, Rose, etc are.

Iverson is starting, so I won't say much about him, as much as I'd like to.

Harris has been playing better than Nelson, I'd admit that.

Williams? Comparing the two players, Nelson is averaging more assists, has the better Ast/TO ratio, and better efficiency, while playing two minutes less. PPG and RPG are a wash, IMO. Williams does deserve an honorable mention, but Nelson has obviously played as well as him this season.

Miller? He's been playing great as well, but the Sixers are playing worse than the Magic right now, and team success accounts for a lot in determining the Reserves (I believe that, as a Pistons fan, you should know this better than anyone).

I already said that Rondo deserves it.

I already gave out my opinion as to why I think Nelson has been playing better than Rose so far this season.

Anyone else?
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#76 » by GJense4181 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:58 pm

Soul wrote:GJense, even if Nelson isn't really an "allstar", compared to this crop he is. A lot of PG's are on comparable levels but the point is you can't make a case for them over Nelson. Can you make one for Nelson over them? Probably not but I guarantee you any PG selection would have been met with disagreements because thats how close it is.

Then you take another position.
Wade, Iverson, Harris, Lebron, and Johnson can all play PG.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#77 » by SOUL » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:59 pm

Oh yeah I forgot, and the reason for all these arguments is BECAUSE Iverson is starting. This year he shouldnt even BE in the all-star game, it should be Devin/Jameer/Rondo or Mo Will
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,975

Post#78 » by INKtastic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 am

has any team ever been .800 at the all star break and only had 1 all star before?
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#79 » by GJense4181 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:01 am

Rick Rolled wrote:We had to deal with the Hedo snub last year......so, screw you guys.

It's not like this game has any bearing on the season, except for a group of players getting zero break.....

And hey, GJense, Iverson shouldn't be there at all.

and, he should.
Talent-wise he's still a top 12 player in the East. His stats aren't *that* bad, and they're low because he's sacrificed for coach Curry's silly whims.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#80 » by SOUL » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:01 am

GJense4181 wrote:
Soul wrote:GJense, even if Nelson isn't really an "allstar", compared to this crop he is. A lot of PG's are on comparable levels but the point is you can't make a case for them over Nelson. Can you make one for Nelson over them? Probably not but I guarantee you any PG selection would have been met with disagreements because thats how close it is.

Then you take another position.
Wade, Iverson, Harris, Lebron, and Johnson can all play PG.

Iverson shouldnt be an all star.

Jameer is having a better season than him.

Return to The General Board