Olympics Game 4: USA vs. Spain

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,468

Re: Olympics Game 4: USA vs. Spain 

Post#621 » by Heat3 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:50 pm

What was the 2003 Roster like? The one needed to qualify for the Olympics. How many of them stayed for Athens?
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 414

Post#622 » by CzBoobie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:55 pm

Heat3 wrote:What was the 2003 Roster like? The one needed to qualify for the Olympics. How many of them stayed for Athens?

http://usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=mtoa_2003

Only Iverson, Duncan and Jefferson were in Athens...
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#623 » by NetsForce » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:00 pm

The U.S. DID NOT play the perfect game, after the first quarter they were just cruising throwing ugly Spain-like lob passes play after play...
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#624 » by HarlemHeat37 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:25 pm

lj4mvp wrote:
HarlemHeat37 wrote:
lj4mvp wrote:another us route, another round of excuses. What are the excuses going to be after the US wins the gold medal game by 30? As I've been saying for days, there is NO CHANCE that the US loses this year.

+1 and this is exactly what I said before the tournament..there is NO CHANCE that the US loses, there is barely a chance that we don't win every meaningful game by blowouts..

2004 wasn't lost because of the roster, it was the lack of focus..the Olympics are irrelevant for basketball, and our team didn't have focus..we lost and they made us angry, and now we're back to dominance..we probably won't care for 2012 now though..

the 2004 loss was a combination of roster and coaching. That roster was severely flawed, starting with the choice of PG. And the rotations were awful - nearly every run that team went on was when LeBron and Wade were playing instead of Marbury and Iversion. yet the further we went, the more the latter played. The whole thing was over for us when Marbury had that one big game - I knew he'd just be awful after that.

I definitely agree that it was flawed, but I have no doubt that we could have still won with that roster with better coaching and more preparation and focus..that team still had some high-end NBA talent that could have easily won with better focus from the players and coaches..we were coming off the 2000 Olympics, which was easy, just like every other year..Vince Carter was literally jumping over people, that's how irrelevant it was..I don't think anybody that was on that team came prepared and focused, with the intention of giving it a 100%..I don't think anybody(the players AND the coaches) anticipated that the world talent improved and were better than in years past..

this team IS built better, but it still has some flaws, like shooting and bigs..we've still made it work though, because EVERYBODY that came to play on this team has been focused on the main goal, which is to win the gold and redeem ourselves..
Iggyemu
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#625 » by Iggyemu » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:08 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:How the heck was this a perfect game by the US team? They were incredibly sloppy with the ball at times. While the outside shooting was pretty good, there were at least 10 missed layups as well. I think there are a number of things the US could have done better. The defense was also kinda sloppy once we got the big lead.

Lets not even worry about that. Here is the question. Is our 'normal game' and Spain's 'best game' enough to make up a 40 point deficit? My money is on a 100%...NO.

Let these guys talk. We are the best team since 1996. Our guys are driven. These other teams are over matched....we only have to really stop 1 or 2 guys on these teams and between Kobe and Howard and Wade we have no problem defending. Those teams have to contend with about 10 guys capable of having a big game. Last game Bosh showed up. This game Melo showed up. Thats what sets us apart.
"One Ring makes a Champion......Six Rings make a Legend" - Michael Jeffrey Jordan
Whateva
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#626 » by Whateva » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:15 pm

I think Spain beat themselves. They were playing at their 40%.
Because to win the USA you have to waste too much energy. They have to be fresh for the quarter finals
NetsForce
Banned User

Post#627 » by NetsForce » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:25 pm

Whateva wrote:I think Spain beat themselves. They were playing at their 40%.
Because to win the USA you have to waste too much energy. They have to be fresh for the quarter finals

Spain is in trouble then because if Spain at 40% lost by 37 to the U.S. at 10% then how badly is Spain going to lose when the U.S. is at 100%?

(See I can make outlandish statements too)
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#628 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Uh oh, that looks suspiciously like saying that Spain wasn't trying. Will it ever end?
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
milehigh
Analyst
And1: 13

Post#629 » by milehigh » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:35 pm

LOL Spain beat themselves by 37? You have got to be kidding that is the biggest bunch of BS I have heard this thread. U.S. while not playing that well, made sure they WON that game. Saying Spain beat themselves is just beyond words. They didn't play well you are right about that, but the main reason for that is the U.S. defense.
Cavsfan4lyfe
Rookie

Post#630 » by Cavsfan4lyfe » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:36 pm

I doubt energy is an issue at all for the US. They are playing a lot less minutes than they normally would on their NBA teams.
sofoklis
Sophomore

Post#631 » by sofoklis » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:37 pm

Sorry but i am going to explode. I just cannot watch your players have this irritating behavior. Your players are arrognat freaks. They trash talk,they elbow ,they spit etc. The refs are fools. They allow the hard USA game and they don't see the travvelings your players keep doing all the time.

Do you know why we hate your players? Because they are arrogant, Why we don't hate Phelps? Because he is noble.

BUT BE WARNED. Your players(full of steroid freaks) will get their as@@@ whooped on the semifinals. Trust me,Greek players are mad with your players behavior. When we meet again we will also elbow,we will also trash talk and we will also fight. We took our lesson. Time for payback.
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,253

Post#632 » by GuyverX » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:37 pm

This is the cookie cutter Euro response to a plain, old fashioned ass whooping. Next time Spain loses it's because they have to be fresh for London in 2012. :P

sofoklis wrote:Sorry but i am going to explode. I just cannot watch your players have this irritating behavior. Your players are arrognat freaks. They trash talk,they elbow ,they spit etc. The refs are fools. They allow the hard USA game and they don't see the travvelings your players keep doing all the time.

Do you know why we hate your players? Because they are arrogant, Why we don't hate Phelps? Because he is noble.

BUT BE WARNED. Your players(full of steroid freaks) will get their as@@@ whooped on the semifinals. Trust me,Greek players are mad with your players behavior. When we meet again we will also elbow,we will also trash talk and we will also fight. We took our lesson. Time for payback.

Uh oh. The Greeks are going to fight fire with fire. Watch out for those 'bows LeBron! They may lose by less than 20 now if they start emulating the U.S.! :lol:
milehigh
Analyst

Post#633 » by milehigh » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:39 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:

Uh oh, that looks suspiciously like saying that Spain wasn't trying. Will it ever end?

After the gold medal game you know someone is going to drop this

"Well we didn't want to show our hand for the 2010 worlds! We only gave it 50%!"
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,562

Post#634 » by TheRaptor! » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:46 pm

The Eminence wrote:
CircleCitysportsfan wrote:
TheRaptor! wrote:All I am saying is..

Spain > every other team USA has played, yet they lost by the largest margin.

Doesn't quite make sense does it.

Hey I saved a quote from you from last year. Any comment? :lol:

TheRaptor! wrote:LOL @ these americans being so happy the brought home gold, can't wait for the Olympics, so you can all experience being in third place again, after this weak tournament, all of you guys think you are back at the top, and the dude who thought this team is unbeatable :rofl: can't wait till Spain, Greece and the full Argentina Team play you guys.

September 2nd 2007

Pwned. :lol:

Oh noes Spain got owned in teh preliminary round!
milehigh
Analyst

Post#635 » by milehigh » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:46 pm

sofoklis wrote:Sorry but i am going to explode. I just cannot watch your players have this irritating behavior. Your players are arrognat freaks. They trash talk,they elbow ,they spit etc. The refs are fools. They allow the hard USA game and they don't see the travvelings your players keep doing all the time.

You know why no one likes you? Because you make outlandish predictions and are never right. Because you are arrogant despite humiliating defeat. Because you make claims but have no prove to back it up. Mods I am losing respect for you everyday this guy is still a member! He baits people and never adds anything valuable to any discussion! Why hasn't he been waived?
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#636 » by TheOUTLAW » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:51 pm

So the US team might actually win the Gold without playing a single team that tried to win.

The US team fouls hard? Are you kidding me? People were arguing that the reason the US team might have trouble is because of the physical nature of play by the Euros. The Greeks were extremely physical, just not as talented.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
milehigh
Analyst

Post#637 » by milehigh » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:54 pm

sofoklis wrote:USA playing style match perfectly for the Greek team. USA will lose again tomorrow. 80% of your points come from steals and easy lay ups. Trust me you will have no steals tomorrow. Our guards can handle very well the ball and we will not give you easy points. You will have to shoot from range.(we will use again zone defence or ''special'' man-to-man)

Also Greek coach Giannakis is very clever. Gliniadakis(center) didnt play against Spain but he was in the first 5 players against Germany. We have few surprizes for you.

Really i can't wait until tomorrow. I am sure that most USA people wait to see 1000 dunks and an easy win.(like you did against Angola and china). I WARNED YOU....

This was him before the Greece game, oh how quickly he forgets

OH NOES! HE WARNED US AGAIN!!! :lol:
NetsForce
Banned User

Post#638 » by NetsForce » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:56 pm

In the U.S. we have a saying for people who make these kinds of rants. Now go "cry me a river".
sofoklis
Sophomore

Post#639 » by sofoklis » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:01 pm

milehighman wrote:

You know why no one likes you? Because you make outlandish predictions and are never right. Because you are arrogant despite humiliating defeat. Because you make claims but have no prove to back it up. Mods I am losing respect for you everyday this guy is still a member! He baits people and never adds anything valuable to any discussion! Why hasn't he been waived?

Well i predicted greek win 2 years ago. Also read what you were saying 2 years ago. I will post again after Greek victory. When we win i'll come back and then we will see what you have to say. Until then keep admiring US players
CoolD
Lead Assistant
And1: 971

Post#640 » by CoolD » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:02 pm

LOL. I could care less that you think USA is arrogant, but if you think Greece has a shot at the US. That is just plain laughable. I wouldn't be suprised if one those Greece guys does try to get into a fight, like the sour losers they are.

Return to The General Board