2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (MIN WINS 4-3)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins GAME 7 and goes to the WCFs?

Nuggets
48%
Wolves
52%

Total votes: 178

Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,663

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#6441 » by Jaqua92 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:05 pm

mcmurphy wrote:The ridiculous thing is that if Denver wins this series, from the realGM-users who have to belittle Jokic's victories will starting threads disparaging Minnesota

wolves fan, don't listen to them and (in my opinion) if KAT recovers and Daniels, in addition to the defense, becomes only acceptable in attack it becomes very tough for Denver win this series... Minnesota is a real tough and strong team with a real Batman in Ants.

I think it's very tough for Minnesota to win this series.

Denver isnt dropping 3 straight at home this post season, which means Minnesota needs to force a game 7.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,539

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#6442 » by Ambrose » Mon May 13, 2024 4:22 pm

If you're the Wolves, you have to like that Denver has no answer for Ant, and you played them tough with most of the cast playing poorly. Meanwhile Gordon couldn't miss. They also seem to have something they can lean on more when they play Conley on-ball.

If you're Denver, you have to like that you're getting the looks you want now, and that you basically controlled that entire game with MPJ/KCP combining for 7 points in 66 mins. Gordon bringing the ball up has been an adjustment the Wolves haven't been able to counter yet.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,442

Paul Pierce on G4: Jokic showed he's MVP, now DEN backdoor sweep 

Post#6443 » by HotRocks34 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:30 pm

Paul Pierce praised MV3 Jokic and called for the Denver backdoor sweep this morning on Undisputed.

Starts 6:15

** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
Ticket
Rookie
And1: 1,493

Post#6444 » by Ticket » Mon May 13, 2024 4:33 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:I am still not clear who is going to win this series… originally I picked Minny in 6, still stay with this pick… Minny just have to play better,

There's no way Minnesota wins this series now imo, especially in 6.

Denver isn't dropping 3 straight at home. And they won't lose a game 7 at home.

The series is more than hallways over. Murray looks healthy, Denver has figured it out, and I think this one is done

I think it's pretty clear by now that home or away doesn't move the needle in this series
One day Leon Powe and I were cracking up on Eddie House’s tattoo.…[Garnett] was like, ‘C’mon, Scal, it’s time to rock! What the ‘F’ are you doing?’ And I was like, ‘You know what? You’re right. It is time to rock.’ – Brian Scalabrine
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,150

Re: Paul Pierce on G4: Jokic showed he's MVP, now DEN backdoor sweep 

Post#6445 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon May 13, 2024 4:37 pm

There isn't any dumber term in sports than "backdoor sweep."
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,156

Post#6446 » by tsherkin » Mon May 13, 2024 4:38 pm

Didn't he just get done saying that SGA would have won the MVP if he had more nationally-televised games?

We had a thread about it, with the link: https://www.basketballnetwork.net/latest-news/paul-pierce-on-shai-gilgeous-alexander-not-winning-the-mvp-award

This is faintly amusing.
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,520

Post#6447 » by Wigginstime » Mon May 13, 2024 4:38 pm

Ambrose wrote:Gordon bringing the ball up has been an adjustment the Wolves haven't been able to counter yet.

I came to talk about this and was shocked there hasn't been more discussion. This seems to have completely screwed with the TWolves.

Everyone knew the the Wovles strategy was to have KAT on Jokic so Gobert can provide rim protection. Everyone also knew that the Wolves were going to pick Murray up early and make him work to get into position to run the Murray/Jokic 2-Man game.

Denver said screw it, we are going to have Gordon bring the ball up the court. The TWolves basically said WTF..... and acted clueless
Do we pressure Gordon...
Does Gobert come away from the basket to pick Gordon up earlier...
What do we do with Murray and Jokic while Gordon is bringing the ball up the court...

Weird how such a small adjustment seemed to completely confuse the TWolves
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,880

Post#6448 » by DirtybirdGA » Mon May 13, 2024 4:41 pm

He can also get him a shovel on the way home to bury his broadcasting gig and sick to the podcasts.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,286

Post#6449 » by Calvin Klein » Mon May 13, 2024 4:44 pm

Why is there a thread for this? Bury it
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 16,046

Post#6450 » by Patches Perry » Mon May 13, 2024 4:46 pm

Anyone know what his take was after game 2? I feel like a lot of these guys are the epitome of prisoners of the moment.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,383

Post#6451 » by YogurtProducer » Mon May 13, 2024 4:48 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:There isn't any dumber term in sports than "backdoor sweep."

Bigger fan of the douchebag sweep myself
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Rishkar
Junior
And1: 329

Post#6452 » by Rishkar » Mon May 13, 2024 4:50 pm

Wigginstime wrote:
Ambrose wrote:Gordon bringing the ball up has been an adjustment the Wolves haven't been able to counter yet.

I came to talk about this and was shocked there hasn't been more discussion. This seems to have completely screwed with the TWolves.

Everyone knew the the Wovles strategy was to have KAT on Jokic so Gobert can provide rim protection. Everyone also knew that the Wolves were going to pick Murray up early and make him work to get into position to run the Murray/Jokic 2-Man game.

Denver said screw it, we are going to have Gordon bring the ball up the court. The TWolves basically said WTF..... and acted clueless
Do we pressure Gordon...
What do we do with Murray and Jokic while Gordon is bringing the ball up the court...

At this point, just play Gordon at point. Let Jokic focus solely on scoring and use Murray as a decoy.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,539

Post#6453 » by Ambrose » Mon May 13, 2024 4:52 pm

Wigginstime wrote:

Do we pressure Gordon...

You basically saw them try a bunch of different things and none of them worked.

They let him bring it up and then Denver was able to get right into their offense.

They tried picking him up with KAT but Gordon has too good of handles, so it didn't work. When the Wolves had their bigs trying to guard guys at halfcourt, it led to a lot of stupid fouls.

They tried picking AG up with Jaden but that didn't work either, Jaden actually picked up a foul that way, and it took him off Murray.
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,257

Post#6454 » by jigga_man » Mon May 13, 2024 5:07 pm

Rubio9Guy wrote:
mcmurphy wrote:The ridiculous thing is that if Denver wins this series, from the realGM-users who have to belittle Jokic's victories will starting threads disparaging Minnesota

wolves fan, don't listen to them and (in my opinion) if KAT recovers and Daniels, in addition to the defense, becomes only acceptable in attack it becomes very tough for Denver win this series... Minnesota is a real tough and strong team with a real Batman in Ants.

I wish people could just have logical/rational discussions.

Sir, this is the realgm general board

bb22
Starter
And1: 1,024

Post#6455 » by bb22 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:07 pm

Great series.
Both teams have now played 2 perfect games, back to back. We knew Minny wasn’t going to keep up that level of defense and offense from games 1 and 2. I don’t expect this type of insane shot making, bench production, and AG going 11-12 from Denver either.

Series is going to come down to a few missed calls and/or timely mental lapses going forward. Officiating has already significantly impacted the trajectory of this series with 1) the refs letting minny play very physical for the first 1.5 games and 2) not ejecting and suspending Jamal for game 3. Thus far, I think the above 2 cancel each other out, as I believe both teams would have split their home games without the inconsistency in officiating.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,676

Post#6456 » by nomansland » Mon May 13, 2024 5:34 pm

Wigginstime wrote:

Do we pressure Gordon...

It shouldn't have been a surprise for Minnesota in game 4. Denver did it a bit in game 3 already, with Braun too. I wonder how Minnesota counters. Just get back and set the defense at half court? Put McDaniels on the ball handler in the back court?
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,663

Post#6457 » by Jaqua92 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:36 pm

Ambrose wrote:If you're the Wolves, you have to like that Denver has no answer for Ant, and you played them tough with most of the cast playing poorly. Meanwhile Gordon couldn't miss. They also seem to have something they can lean on more when they play Conley on-ball.

If you're Denver, you have to like that you're getting the looks you want now, and that you basically controlled that entire game with MPJ/KCP combining for 7 points in 66 mins. Gordon bringing the ball up has been an adjustment the Wolves haven't been able to counter yet.

MPJ and KCP had their worst games of the post season
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,136

Post#6458 » by Exp0sed » Mon May 13, 2024 5:37 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:

I think it's very tough for Minnesota to win this series.

Denver isnt dropping 3 straight at home this post season, which means Minnesota needs to force a game 7.

before the series i'm sure 99% of folks would have agreed that Denver (whose historically good at home and this team in particular is) "isn't going to drop" game 1 AND game 2 at home, right?

the next game's outcome is independant from the previous one - it's just one game and the Wolves can def win game 5. are they the favorites to win game 5 at Denver after games 3 & 4? obviously not, but let's not get carried away. it's just one game and these teams are generally pretty evenly matched. even if the Nuggets are better the gap is pretty small.

we'll see, gonna be a good one
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,136

Post#6460 » by Exp0sed » Mon May 13, 2024 5:41 pm

nomansland wrote:
Wigginstime wrote:

It shouldn't have been a surprise for Minnesota in game 4. Denver did it a bit in game 3 already, with Braun too. I wonder how Minnesota counters. Just get back and set the defense at half court? Put McDaniels on the ball handler in the back court?

they need to stop screwing around, just put Gobert on Jokic. they're getting way too fancy for their own good

Return to The General Board