2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (MIN WINS 4-3)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins GAME 7 and goes to the WCFs?

Nuggets
48%
Wolves
52%

Total votes: 178

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,626

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#6501 » by Worm Guts » Tue May 14, 2024 7:43 pm

Dan33185 wrote:
LeBronSpaghetti wrote:
Dan33185 wrote:I've given up trying to figure out a rhyme or reason for NBA punishments. Gobert gets fined 100k during the season for doing this, then does it a second time during the playoffs and gets less of a fine. Meanwhile, Murray does the money sign, throws a towel and a heat pad during the same game, and gets 100k fine. Are they just spinning a wheel when it comes to doling out fines?

Read on Twitter

It’s not that complicated in my opinion. They had to fine him, they wanted to fine him a lot because he’s a repeat offender, but they can’t fine him as much as Murray. I think this is where the number $75k comes from.

My confusion is they fined him 100k earlier in the season for the exact same thing, and as a repeat offender he now gets a lesser fine.

I didn't think it was as flagrant this time, like he was kind of doing it to himself, where as the previous time he was holding it up, making it obvious to everyone.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,106

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #3 Minnesota Timberwolves (Series tied 2-2) 

Post#6502 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue May 14, 2024 7:53 pm

LeBronSpaghetti wrote:
Dan33185 wrote:I've given up trying to figure out a rhyme or reason for NBA punishments. Gobert gets fined 100k during the season for doing this, then does it a second time during the playoffs and gets less of a fine. Meanwhile, Murray does the money sign, throws a towel and a heat pad during the same game, and gets 100k fine. Are they just spinning a wheel when it comes to doling out fines?

Read on Twitter

It’s not that complicated in my opinion. They had to fine him, they wanted to fine him a lot because he’s a repeat offender, but they can’t fine him as much as Murray. I think this is where the number $75k comes from.

It is pretty easy to undrestand. When Gobert did money sign first time, he was first complaining to the refs, who knows what he said, was ejected, and then did money sign directly to them. Refs probably have to send report to NBA why player was ejected and what he said. Money sign was the last offense here. That is why it was 100k fine.

Whan Murray was fined refs didn't even saw him throwing towel and a heat pad, and doing money sign. If they did he would have been ejected. It is diferent if you direct money sign to the refs or to the stands. So Murray recived 100k fine for 3 offenses combined, all of them cought on camera.

This time Rudy didn't turn to refs for money sign, he was not ejected and I guess fine would have be even lover if it is not 2nd time he repeat the same offense.
LeBronSpaghetti
Junior
And1: 774

Post#6503 » by LeBronSpaghetti » Tue May 14, 2024 8:00 pm

Dan33185 wrote:
LeBronSpaghetti wrote:

Read on Twitter

My confusion is they fined him 100k earlier in the season for the exact same thing, and as a repeat offender he now gets a lesser fine.

Yeah but if they fined him $100k again people would say “This isn’t as bad as what Murray did” so I think that’s why they fined him less this time. I also agree with what that other poster said about the first money sign incident being worse and more directly towards the officials.
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,235

Post#6504 » by stoo » Tue May 14, 2024 8:12 pm

guys, do you have anything fun to do in your lives? who gives a **** about nba fines, especially for insignificant stuff. System corrupted our brains
NotSinceWilt
pontius
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,143

Post#6505 » by pontius » Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

Read on Twitter
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,054

Post#6506 » by thinktank » Tue May 14, 2024 9:17 pm

My expectations for tonight:

-Wolves guard Denver straight up.
-Rudy guards Jokic
-KAT guards Gordon but picks him up at half court instead of picking up a dumb foul at 75ft like last game
-Ant goes off. Again.
-The refs suddenly let the Wolves play defense again. ($$$$$$$$$$$)

Should be a great game.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,268

Post#6507 » by Dan33185 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:18 pm

pontius wrote:
Read on Twitter

He hasn't looked right this whole series, might be best for the team at this point.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,178

Post#6508 » by tsherkin » Tue May 14, 2024 9:21 pm

thinktank wrote:My expectations for tonight:

I don't know if that'll be a good idea. Man D is only so effective against what Denver does, and they explicitly use a lot of 2-man game to get the matchups they want.

-Ant goes off. Again.

That seems likely.

Should be a great game.

I expect this to be true as well; I'm looking forward to it. Best series in the PS so far.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#6509 » by thinktank » Tue May 14, 2024 9:31 pm

tsherkin wrote:
thinktank wrote:My expectations for tonight:

I don't know if that'll be a good idea. Man D is only so effective against what Denver does, and they explicitly use a lot of 2-man game to get the matchups they want.

-Ant goes off. Again.

That seems likely.

Should be a great game.

I expect this to be true as well; I'm looking forward to it. Best series in the PS so far.

Double teams are still man D (man D is non-zone) but I see what you’re saying.

Just switch. Don’t double. If we get caught in a bad switch (Conley/NAW on Gordon, sometimes MPJ), send a bigger defender from the weak side and force Gordon / MPJ to have vision and throw a tough skip pass.

Denver wants doubles.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6510 » by tsherkin » Tue May 14, 2024 9:34 pm

thinktank wrote:Double teams are still man D (man D is non-zone) but I see what you’re saying.

Yes, I follow, I just don't think attempting to play straight-up man D is a super good idea. They're gonna need to flood, they're gonna need to pull out every trick they've got, because Denver is a nasty offensive dynamo.

We'll see what happens, though. Not doubling is going to create opportunities, and single coverage for Jokic may prove fairly hilarious. But then, maybe not. I suppose we'll see. It's a game to watch, no doubt. Worth watching all the way through.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#6511 » by thinktank » Tue May 14, 2024 9:37 pm

tsherkin wrote:
thinktank wrote:Double teams are still man D (man D is non-zone) but I see what you’re saying.

Yes, I follow, I just don't think attempting to play straight-up man D is a super good idea. They're gonna need to flood, they're gonna need to pull out every trick they've got, because Denver is a nasty offensive dynamo.

We'll see what happens, though. Not doubling is going to create opportunities, and single coverage for Jokic may prove fairly hilarious. But then, maybe not. I suppose we'll see. It's a game to watch, no doubt. Worth watching all the way through.

I don’t think our guys have been successful with riskier D schemes against Denver the past two games. Denver adjusted to hunt matchups. We haven’t been organized enough and they’ve picked us apart. One part of that is we haven’t undone disadvantageous (not a word?) switches, which I think we should!

Imo, we’ve had more success letting Jokic score 50, so to speak.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6512 » by tsherkin » Tue May 14, 2024 9:38 pm

thinktank wrote:Imo, we’ve had more success letting Jokic score 50, so to speak.

We'll see. That hasn't been the strategy in this series so far, so it's hard to tell. Denver started winning as he got a little more aggressive, so we'll see. But either way, the adjustments will be interesting to watch for, no doubt.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#6513 » by life_saver » Tue May 14, 2024 9:39 pm

It's a freaking joke that this game is starting at 10:30PM EST..Why on earth is it starting so late ?? Atleast ensure a 9:30 start time at worst..I really don't understand how you can have such a late starting time on a weekday
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,614

Post#6514 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:41 pm

Lol 1030 eastern I might not even see the opening tip
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#6515 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue May 14, 2024 9:43 pm

Dan33185 wrote:
pontius wrote:
Read on Twitter

He hasn't looked right this whole series, might be best for the team at this point.

His value is underrated because we turnover like crazy without him. Wouldn't be suprised if we reach 15-20 turnovers.

Plus he has tendency to struggle on offense (his floaters are bad) for a half but then just make timely and sneaky 3s back to back 3rd or 4th quarters. Then out of blue he gives you dependable 15 pts.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,539

Post#6516 » by Ambrose » Tue May 14, 2024 9:49 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
Dan33185 wrote:
pontius wrote:
Read on Twitter

His value is underrated because we turnover like crazy without him. Wouldn't be suprised if we reach 15-20 turnovers.

Plus he has tendency to struggle on offense (his floaters are bad) for a half but then just make timely and sneaky 3s back to back 3rd or 4th quarters. Then out of blue he gives you dependable 15 pts.

Every game I watch, good things happen when he has the ball in his hands.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6517 » by tsherkin » Tue May 14, 2024 9:52 pm

Ambrose wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:
Dan33185 wrote:

Conley is a smart player who provides value. His only real sin is never being a perennial AS. Quality vet.
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,201

Post#6518 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue May 14, 2024 9:56 pm

Ambrose wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:
Dan33185 wrote:

He is allways the adult in the room with each possesion. He tries to find open guys and never pushes things recklessly. And has tendency to calm things down when team are out of rhythm.

Like was it game 2, when Naz and Naw came in and had like 8 straight turnovers lol, Conley just came in and in true floor general fashion started directing them to their spots, and quietly ran some astute plays. Does alot of the little things people take for granted.

Even games he can't shoot for **** he is useful. Makes good decisions on the ball and hustles on D.

Unlike say a Kyle Anderson, who is supposed to be Mr fundamentals, but is black hole on offense and at times forces awkward drives, and completely forgot how to defend in this Nuggets series.

We were genuinely better off when he was out injured for couple games in the Suns series.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,725

Post#6519 » by GeorgeSears » Tue May 14, 2024 10:08 pm

Finch and Mori are about to earn their money in this game. This is the one you pay them for, to come up with a new adjustment in two days to counter the Nuggets.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,137

Post#6520 » by Exp0sed » Tue May 14, 2024 10:20 pm

tsherkin wrote:

I mean, it's 2024, you obviously can't let Rudy guard Jokic solely straight up, because if Jokic knows no help is coming, doesn't even have to look over his shoulder or take certain tougher angles to protect the ball - that'll be BBQ chicken, so u def have to mix it up at least once in a while, send a double at an opprtune moment

but still, that could be ur default and imo they should. yes, on some night Jokic looks completely comfortable scoring in general and scoring on Rudy in particular but other times, when refs allow that illegal contact to the lower body during or right after the shot - he can make Jokic miss from time to time and when he misses because of that lower body contact he's rarely in a position to rebound as well so Rudy can rack up those boards easily. it really depends on how the game is called tbh. if the refs are swallowing their whistles then it's a viable strategy, at least for parts of the game and the only way to find out how the refs are calling it, is to run it :)

Return to The General Board