Redraft 2022 - who are the top 10?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who should have gone #1?

Chet
49%
Paolo
41%
Jalen W
7%
Sharpe
1%
Keegan
1%
Sochan
2%
Other
1%

Total votes: 152

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,285

Re: Redraft 2022 - who are the top 10? 

Post#81 » by MagicMatic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:38 pm

A lot of you are choosing Chet because of his teams record and recent success.

If he was in Orlando you wouldn't have him at #1.

Magic drafted the best player for them in the draft at #1. OKC did too. End of story.
ValvPiti
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#82 » by ValvPiti » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:29 pm

MagicMatic wrote:A lot of you are choosing Chet because of his teams record and recent success.

Magic drafted the best player for them in the draft at #1. OKC did too. End of story.

I agree. Banchero and Chet are amazing fits on both teams, but its still fun to talk about a re-draft and where you see these players end up.

Banchero IS a franchise player, no doubt, but overall I think you can argue two players might be even better in this draft.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#83 » by ogmagicfan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:53 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:Paolo over Chet. Paolo has the legit potential to average 30/7/7 in a season in his prime

Only players to ever average that:

Oscar Robertson
MJ
Bron
Westbrook
Luka

Even if you think Chet will be better (which I don't buy into), he already has gone through one foot injury & is one more foot injury from being done for his career unfortunately

thing is, scoring now ain't what it used to be. it's hard to argue that only 7 players in history has accomplished that without taking into account the explosion in scoring, it would have been near impossible for most candidates to score 30, playing the the style of old

with that said, ur right on the money regarding the injury concerns
just because Chet has managed to survive 2/3rds of one season (yay!) doesn't negate the risk

the injury risk alone, with his stature, body type and injuri history - keeps Paolo 1st, easily

The injury thing seems like a red herring for now. I've had the same injury Chet had, never had anything remotely close to a foot problem again. Lisfranc is a random thing, not like knee or ankle issues that tend to be chronic vulnerabilities.

Not saying Chet might still have a durability issues, but you can't make an argument about them based on that injury. Definitely not enouhg of one to make that your whole case for why he's a worse prospect.

There's a difference btwn your everyday poster on RealGM & an NBA player going against 250+ lbs guys on the daily. Coupled with him being 7'1 & 190 lbs. It becomes even more complex when he needs to put on more weight to protect himself from injuries but he lacks the frame & simultaneously will put more stress on his foot with more weight

For big men, foot injuries are some of the worst kinda injuries to have, and lisfranc injuries have riddled big men to injury prone careers.

Hopefully it's not the case with him, but to write off the injury as some sorta fluke that wont influence his health throughout the rest of his career is nonsense
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,536

Post#84 » by zero rings » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:54 pm

MagicMatic wrote:A lot of you are choosing Chet because of his teams record and recent success.

Or maybe we're choosing him because he's the better player? If Chet were in Orlando, I'm confident the Magic would be a better team on both ends of the court. His shooting and spacing at the C position would open things up for his teammates, and they'd be even better defensively.

You guys are overrating Paolo's offense big time. Right now he's a volume scorer who doesn't actually make your offense better. He needs to improve his 3 pt shot and inside finishing, otherwise he's not going to have much of an impact on winning.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#85 » by ogmagicfan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:57 pm

BlzMwt wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:Paolo over Chet. Paolo has the legit potential to average 30/7/7 in a season in his prime

Oscar Robertson
MJ
Bron
Westbrook
Luka

Even if you think Chet will be better (which I don't buy into), he already has gone through one foot injury & is one more foot injury from being done for his career unfortunately

I've never seen someone say a player has potential to average something with such certainty, only to follow it up and say how unlikely it is due to only five players to have ever done it.

It kind of goes against your argument.

It also seems extremely optimistic to say with certainty that he will be able to increase his scoring by 7ppg doesn't it? What makes you think he has that much room for growth?

You're contradicting yourself. How are you implying that me saying potential means that there's a certainty it will occur. There is no certainty it will occur, there's just the potential for it.

Paolo since January 1st is averaging 24.4/6.7/6. He just turned 21 years old. He is a 6'10.5 forward that moves like a guard. He has shown definitive improvement and is an All-Star in his 2nd season.

If you wanna believe that a player of his caliber and build is peaking now, that's your perogative. However, there is absolutely the POTENTIAL that he can put up 30/7/7 in his prime.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#86 » by MagicMatic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:58 pm

zero rings wrote:

Or maybe we're choosing him because he's the better player? If Chet were in Orlando, I'm confident the Magic would be a better team on both ends of the court. His shooting and spacing at the C position would open things up for his teammates, and they'd be even better defensively.

You guys are overrating Paolo's offense big time. Right now he's a volume scorer who doesn't actually make your offense better. He needs to improve his 3 pt shot and inside finishing, otherwise he's not going to have much of an impact on winning.

Yeah, the difference is that Chet isnt option #1 or even #2 in OKC's system.

Paolo is option #1 and isn't playing next to one of the best players in the league despite what you think of Franz.

So yeah, theres a little more context to what you are talking about when you are comparing the two in vastly different situations with what they are tasked with on a nightly basis.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#87 » by tooler » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:08 pm

zero rings wrote:

Perhaps a few people — certainly not you — would step up to defend the Magic drafting Chet for reasons you described. Everyone else would be roasting them for passing up a #1 option archetype they desperately need, and now being too good (with Chet) to ever hope to draft one. It’s a no-win situation for Magic fans.

Yeah, he needs to improve his efficiency to reach his potential. We’ve noted that down.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,693

Post#88 » by 3ddman23 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:20 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
zero rings wrote:

Yeah, the difference is that Chet isnt option #1 or even #2 in OKC's system.

Paolo is option #1 and isn't playing next to one of the best players in the league despite what you think of Franz.

So yeah, theres a little more context to what you are talking about when you are comparing the two in vastly different situations with what they are tasked with on a nightly basis.

The gravity alone that paolo creates on the offense side of the ball is what has turned this team around. Teams are gearing up to stop paolo every night. If he had more quality players/ spacing you don't think it would make team or even his shooting percentage/advance stats better if he wasn't seeing consistent double teams?

U don't think if paolo was kicking out of double team to some of these shooters okc( some of these okc players are having career years from 3) has the offense wouldn't run smoother or he wouldn't abuse single coverage more? Teams are gearing to stop paolo and allowing the other magic players to essentially shoot wide open 3 becasue they can't shoot. It's a matter of if you make I shake hand and keep it moving type of d. Which is crazy to think that in the nba. But thats the roster the front office currently has constructed.

Chet isnt bringing that gravity. That's pretty apparent on the floor, all you have do is watch a handful of games from either of them, and you can see that.

Is anything chet is closer to franz in the sense that most of his game is at the hoop or from 3. More secondary duty play off of a offensensive hub.

Paolo is a second year all star at 21 years old while magic are 29-24 all while being of the youngest (construct poorly teams) in the nba. Let's give Him a chance to get better shooters around him to see if he can turn into a Shai type of guy. Becasue paolo second year stats are pretty close to Shai second year stats.
GO MAGIC
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,890

Post#89 » by One_and_Done » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:06 pm

Jazz Dog wrote:Anyways, why is Kessler not getting any more minutes? Im very curious because his numbers really jump out to me, and also, Im considering trading for him in my fantasy dynasty league atm. As a matter of fact, I have an offer on the table.. Any Jazz fans than can enlighten me? :D

With the trades at the deadline, I would expect his minutes to go up significantly. I would also keep an eye on Hendrixs as his usage goes up, can he produce though?

In today's league Kessler is a bit dated, despite how good he is at the limited archetype he fulfills.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#90 » by DCasey91 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:13 pm

You do realise Chet brings a bucket load of space and gravity as a byproduct of his playstyle.

Modern teams want 4/5 out near logo starting points.

I’m not taking anyone over Dirk Lite + Defensive anchor in this draft.

He seems to do fine without Shai on the court btw.

Watch what happens when he starts averaging 22 or thereabouts
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,548

Post#91 » by BigGargamel » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:13 pm

Knocking Paolo's "efficiency" is a little bit of a lazy take IMO. It's like people look at the ESPN player page, see 45/36/70, and knock his efficiency. Not even taking into the account that he's on a poor offensive team, is really the only guy on that roster who can create his own offense, and is the complete focal point of the opposing defense every night. He's not afforded to be a secondary scorer like Chet.

"Efficiency" is important, but it's not the end all be all that people like to think it is when talking about players/teams they never watch.

Oh, and the guy is 21 years old LOL. He is going to be (or already is) fantastic.

Both guys are awesome, and I think both are on the right teams. But Paolo has to do so much more, and is excelling. The Magic would absolutely take Paolo again in a redraft, as they should.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#92 » by DCasey91 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:18 pm

BigGargamel wrote:Knocking Paolo's "efficiency" is a little bit of a lazy take IMO. It's like people look at the ESPN player page, see 45/36/70, and knock his efficiency. Not even taking into the account that he's on a poor offensive team, is really the only guy on that roster who can create his own offense, and is the complete focal point of the opposing defense every night. He's not afforded to be a secondary scorer like Chet.

"Efficiency" is important, but it's not the end all be all that people like to think it is when talking about players/teams they never watch.

Oh, and the guy is 21 years old LOL. He is going to be (or already is) fantastic.

I watch the Magic (Suggsy playing well). It’s caught between a hard rock on the team. They have really good defensive guards and Isaac as the huge wing healthy but no release valve (Seth Curry for example would be an excellent outlet imo).

Wagner to me is the best offensive player overall and Paolo takes the responsibility on volume stakes.

Said ages ago he’s getting to Pistons Griffin than Griffin did age for age.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#93 » by slick_watts » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:18 pm

Godymas wrote:Chet is good, but he has yet to prove that he actually can be the sole first option and focal point of an offense like Paolo.

orlando's offense scores 113pp100 with paolo in the game, which would be bottom 5 in the league. i'm like paolo but isn't silly to tout him as a focal point when the offense stinks?
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#94 » by MagicMatic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:23 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Godymas wrote:Chet is good, but he has yet to prove that he actually can be the sole first option and focal point of an offense like Paolo.

orlando's offense scores 113pp100 with paolo in the game, which would be bottom 5 in the league. i'm like paolo but isn't silly to tout him as a focal point when the offense stinks?

I dunno. He’s 21 and the #1 option on a team with two total options and zero starting point guard.

Chet is on a team with like 4-5… and his efficiency will be higher because he isn’t schemed against 100% of the time.

Why is there no context with these takes talking about offensive efficiency. It’s like people are looking at box scores and don’t actually understand why the numbers are what they are.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 133

Post#95 » by byeganyo » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:24 pm

zero rings wrote:

What's his shooting? 1.7 3pts per game on 39%? in It's good and probably will get better, but it's not some godly numbers right now - he is not in top 100 in NBA for 3 pointers made per game currently. So if someone is overrating anything is you.
See, watching numbers instead of games is easier. Our offense is **** for reasons that have very little with Paolo currently.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#96 » by DCasey91 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:25 pm

slick_watts wrote:

Context matters. Magic play a slower pace (which is weird because they are so young) and don’t have an out and out knockdown shooter on volume

Timberwolves are no stud offensive team either both mainly hang their hat on defence.

Give up to get a little on the other side, someone like best version Seth or Redick would be a really good addition.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by slick_watts » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:26 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

I dunno. He’s 21 and the #1 option on a team with two total options and zero starting point guard.

Chet is on a team with like 4-5… and his efficiency will be higher because he isn’t schemed against 100% of the time.

Why is there no context with these takes talking about offensive efficiency. It’s like people are looking at box scores and don’t actually understand why the numbers are what they are.

ok? i'm not talking about chet, i'm talking about paolo. he's a great young player but i don't think he's proven he can be the focal point of an offense either- if the offense he's the focal point of is no good.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#98 » by MagicMatic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:29 pm

slick_watts wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

ok? i'm not talking about chet, i'm talking about paolo. he's a great young player but i don't think he's proven he can be the focal point of an offense either- if the offense he's the focal point of is no good.

Yeah but why?

If that’s what your metric is for determining which player is #1 in the draft of 20-21 year olds you probably need more context than “these numbers good and these numbers better” when comparing them.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by slick_watts » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:31 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Yeah but why?

If that’s what your metric is for determining which player is #1 in the draft of 20-21 year olds you probably need more context than “these numbers good and these numbers better” when comparing them.

i'm ok with you choosing paolo #1 in a redraft. i think that's a reasonable opinion. mine would be different.

i don't think 'he's proven he can be a focal point of an offense' makes any sense when the offense is bad when he's on the court. i think that makes no sense. that's all.
BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,042

Post#100 » by BlzMwt » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:23 am

ogmagicfan wrote:
BlzMwt wrote:

Oscar Robertson
MJ
Bron
Westbrook
Luka

I've never seen someone say a player has potential to average something with such certainty, only to follow it up and say how unlikely it is due to only five players to have ever done it.

It kind of goes against your argument.

It also seems extremely optimistic to say with certainty that he will be able to increase his scoring by 7ppg doesn't it? What makes you think he has that much room for growth?

You're contradicting yourself. How are you implying that me saying potential means that there's a certainty it will occur. There is no certainty it will occur, there's just the potential for it.

Paolo since January 1st is averaging 24.4/6.7/6. He just turned 21 years old. He is a 6'10.5 forward that moves like a guard. He has shown definitive improvement and is an All-Star in his 2nd season.

If you wanna believe that a player of his caliber and build is peaking now, that's your perogative. However, there is absolutely the POTENTIAL that he can put up 30/7/7 in his prime.

You seem awfully defensive. I was honestly curious as to how you came to that conclusion.

You said he has "legit potential". Then listed off 5 of the best players of all time. To me that makes it sound like you really think there's atleast a chance he could do it.

I stated the "unlikely" part because you followed it up with saying if he does reach that potential only five players have ever done such a thing lol. As in, that's unlikely to actually happen.

I also never said he has peaked. That would be dumb, thanks though. I said adding 7ppg to his total seems very optimistic and asked what made you think he would increase it to such a degree. I don't watch enough of him and clearly you're a magic fan so I wanted your take on it.

Maybe you should have been defensive if I said that because he's an allstar in his second season (which most people thought was the worst allstar selection this year) means next to nothing in the grand scheme of someone's career. Or a six week sample size in year 2 where a few extra ppg isn't necessarily indicative of someone then upping it from 21 to 30 in their peak.

You also noted definitive improvement in his game from his rookie season to this year. Great? That's usually what you hope for lol

Return to The General Board