2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Mavericks vs. Clippers Series Result

Mavericks SWEEP!
2%
Mavericks 4-1
7%
Mavericks 4-2
43%
Mavericks 4-3
15%
Clippers SWEEP!
5%
Clippers 4-1
2%
Clippers 4-2
14%
Clippers 4-3
13%

Total votes: 352

One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,936

Re: West Playoffs - 1st Round: Mavericks vs. Clippers 

Post#81 » by One Last Shot » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:00 am

MalonesElbows wrote:People will quickly be reminded how good a motivated Kawhi is.

He just secure a contract extension until 2027. Why would he be motivated? He already got 2 rings and 2 FMVP, if anything an early vacation should be enticing especially now that it seems like he's hobbled already playing for 68 games this season. That's way over his quota of 40 games per year since he became a Clipper.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,511

Post#82 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:09 am

dygaction wrote:Not sure how much the home court would mean for these two teams, still remember both of them lost their first three home courts in the 7-game series in 2021. This season, Mavs are 25-15 home and 25-15 away; Clippers are 25-14 home and 26-15 away, almost no impact to either.

True, in 2021 the road team won every game except game 7, but if there is a game 7 every team in the NBA would prefer it to be at home
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#83 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:09 am

One Last Shot wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:People will quickly be reminded how good a motivated Kawhi is.

He just secure a contract extension until 2027. Why would he be motivated? He already got 2 rings and 2 FMVP, if anything an early vacation should be enticing especially now that it seems like he's hobbled already playing for 68 games this season. That's way over his quota of 40 games per year since he became a Clipper.

he has played with a lot of energy and athleticism this season- including post contract extension
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,377

Post#84 » by Scoundreldays » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:22 am

Round 3 it is. I remember Zu getting played off the floor last time by Luka. Either Lue needs to adjust faster than waiting 2 games or Zu needs to step up and have the series of his life defensively.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,554

Post#85 » by dygaction » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:23 am

Deshaun Taden wrote:This is a dangerous series for the Mavs, too many people sleep on LAC.

Harden will outright win 2 games in a playoff series, and probably give you enough for a 3rd in the first 5 games. He is worthless in G6 and G7 and has to be carried. Kawhi with 2 shots to put away a team, if healthy, more than often will do it. LAC is a dangerous championship contender. They have as good a chance as any of the other legit contenders, of which I'd say Denver, Boston and Miami are the other 3.

How? Nobody is sleeping on LAC. They have been, and still are 3rd favorite team to win the championship after Celtics and Nuggets with +800 vs. +2500 for Mavs... That means LAC are overwhelmingly favorite to get to the next round.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,554

Post#86 » by dygaction » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:28 am

Scoundreldays wrote:Round 3 it is. I remember Zu getting played off the floor last time by Luka. Either Lue needs to adjust faster than waiting 2 games or Zu needs to step up and have the series of his life defensively.

Too bad Mavs lost their last time starting center Boban and even Maxi is not as deadly and explosive like 2021.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#87 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:28 am

Scoundreldays wrote:Round 3 it is. I remember Zu getting played off the floor last time by Luka. Either Lue needs to adjust faster than waiting 2 games or Zu needs to step up and have the series of his life defensively.

Zubac actually wasn't playing bad defense in 2021- it's just that Luka scored almost every time. Zubac, of course, had to give Luka some space so he didn't go around him and it seemed like Luka hit every step back 3 against Zubac- hopefully that isn't sustainable. If he does hit the step back, they'll have to go smaller- perhaps with Theis or Tucker.

I think Lue also has to scheme in a way that they don't switch on screens so quickly- you have to try to stay on your man.
bovice
Pro Prospect
And1: 955

Post#88 » by bovice » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:45 am

saw the poll is heavily on Mavs, so I'm gonna bet clippers series line lol
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,144

Post#89 » by iggymcfrack » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:00 am

UglyBugBall wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:If Kawhi’s just taking time off now to be extra healthy for the playoffs and comes in at 100% the pick has to be the Clippers. If he’s banged up and is even just 80% going in, it has to be the Mavericks. Now which one is it? That’s a tough question. I guess if I were to guess I’d lean towards Kawhi struggling to be healthy and pick Mavs in 7. This is as close to a coin flip series as it gets though.

Mavs are playing way better than the clippers. Kawhii or not kawhii the Mavs have proven to be a much better team since ASB. That's a large sample size. Clippers could be 200 percent and this wouldn't go past 6 with Mavs winning convincingly. The numbers all support this

Mavs are +6.7 and 18-7 since all-star break. That’s very good, but not as good as the Clippers were playing with all their guys earlier. If the Clippers have been coasting since all-star break, they’re better. If they’re legitimately banged up, Mavs are better.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,144

Post#90 » by iggymcfrack » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:02 am

BeiBeau wrote:
PeteyPablo wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:If Kawhi’s just taking time off now to be extra healthy for the playoffs and comes in at 100% the pick has to be the Clippers. If he’s banged up and is even just 80% going in, it has to be the Mavericks. Now which one is it? That’s a tough question. I guess if I were to guess I’d lean towards Kawhi struggling to be healthy and pick Mavs in 7. This is as close to a coin flip series as it gets though.

Kawhi last game played was on 3/31 vs Hornets. He scored 23 points and played 37 minutes.

Clippers probably resting him the last 8 games of the season.

James Harden might be the ultimate x factor for the Clippers. If he can play great , then no body will beat the Clippers in a series.

Kawhi vs Luka - who is better?
PG13 vs Kyrie - who is better?
Harden vs ?
Westbrook vs ?
Norman Powell vs ?

When was the last time Harden had a great playoff series?

He played pretty well as a supporting player against the Celtics last year. If Embiid played like a healthy Kawhi Philly probably would have won the East.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,244

Post#91 » by BeiBeau » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:18 am

iggymcfrack wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
PeteyPablo wrote:

Kawhi last game played was on 3/31 vs Hornets. He scored 23 points and played 37 minutes.

Clippers probably resting him the last 8 games of the season.

James Harden might be the ultimate x factor for the Clippers. If he can play great , then no body will beat the Clippers in a series.

Kawhi vs Luka - who is better?
PG13 vs Kyrie - who is better?
Harden vs ?
Westbrook vs ?
Norman Powell vs ?

He played pretty well as a supporting player against the Celtics last year. If Embiid played like a healthy Kawhi Philly probably would have won the East.

Shot under 30% from the field in 4 of those 7 games. And had 21 points and 10 turnovers in the last 2 games. If that’s a good series from Harden then Dallas in 4 lol.
One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,936

Post#92 » by One Last Shot » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:36 am

BeiBeau wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

Shot under 30% from the field in 4 of those 7 games. And had 21 points and 10 turnovers in the last 2 games. If that’s a good series from Harden then Dallas in 4 lol.

Dallas in 4? Did you even watch that series at all? Harden made 2 game-winning shots against the Celtics alone last playoffs. He just give up trying when everybody realize they dont have a chance for a title with hobbled Embiid because of his knee injury.

BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,244

Post#93 » by BeiBeau » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:58 am

One Last Shot wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:

Dallas in 4? Did you even watch that series at all? Harden made 2 game-winning shots against the Celtics alone last playoffs. He just give up trying when everybody realize they dont have a chance for a title with hobbled Embiid because of his knee injury.

Yes I did. He had 2 great games. 1 solid game. And 4 absolutely horrendous games where he was the worst player on the court. Last time I checked it takes 4 games to win a playoff series.

The Dallas in 4 is clearly a joke but why are you trying to defend harden by saying he gave up? What kind of a bitch ass move is that? 1. Harden clearly didn’t give up, he’s just a **** playoff performer(he’s has Miami 2 years ago as well). 2. Even if he did give up that’s not a defense of his performance. He’s about to play Luka, 2nd all time in PPG in the playoffs. Luka is going to have games where he makes the clippers bend and spread. How quickly until harden “gives up”?
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,424

Post#94 » by GSP » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:28 am

Is there any indication Kawhi is even gonna play?
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,084

Post#95 » by NZB2323 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:33 am

I voted Mavs in 6. I don’t trust Kawhi or PG13 to be healthy, or for Harden/Westbrook to play well in the playoffs.

I told my Uncle to put some money down on the Mavs to win it all at 24-1 odds. Luka is good enough to be the best player on a championship team, Irving is good enough to be the 2nd best player on a championship team, and their defense has been good since the all-star break.
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 587

Post#96 » by Ssj16 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:19 am

All the people saying that if Kawhi plays it's a wrap, I find this to be a strange sentiment.

We all know that Kawhi has a penchant for getting injured so this almost feels like a strawman's argument.

Furthermore, the last time the Clippers were healthy, including with Kawhi in his prime, they lost to the Nuggets.

I think Kawhi gives the Clips a good chance but history tells us that he doesn't guarantee them a series victory against a team like the Mavs.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Post#97 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:02 am

PeteyPablo wrote:Per Basketball Reference.com

2021 Playoff series

Game 1 Mavs 113 LAC 103
Game 2 Mavs 127 LAC 121
Game 3 LAC 118 Mavs 108
Game 4 LAC 106 Mavs 81
Game 5 Mavs 105 LAC 100
Game 6 LAC 104 Mavs 97
Game 7 LAC 126 Mavs 111

Clippers have undergone a major overhaul and are not the same team they were back then either. James Harden is a superior point guard compared to Reggie Jackson and Patrick Beverly.

Clippers also lacked back up bigs. Usually going small 5 with Marcus Morris or Nicolas Batum. Now they have Plumlee and Theiss off the bench.

LAC Roster :
Kawhi Leonard
Paul George
Reggie Jackson - gone and replaced by Russell Westbrook
Marcus Morris - gone and replaced by Terrance Mann
Nicolas Batum - gone and replaced by Mason Plumlee
Rajon Rondo - gone and replaced by Norman Powell
Terrance Mann
Ivica Zubac
Patrick Beverly - gone and replaced by James Harden
Luke Kennard - gone
Serge Ibaka - gone and replaced by Daniel Theiss
Amir Coffey

I heard somewhere that this particular Mavs team was built by some genius Mark Cuban hired. He used analytics but now is not with the team anymore.

Mavs Roster :

Luka Doncic
Tim Hardaway Jr
Kristap Porzingis
Dorian Finney Smith
Jalen Brunsen
Boban
Maxi Kleber
Josh Richardson
Dwight Powell
Willie Cauley Stein
Trey Burke
Josh Green
Nicolo Melli

Are you talking about Vegas Bob? He didn’t build this Mavs team. He was fired 2 years ago before Carlisle and Donnie Nelson were fired.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,651

Post#98 » by TheGOATRises007 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:08 am

Mavs will get their revenge this time.

I don't trust Kawhi to stay healthy and I think the Mavericks are peaking at the right time.

Luka will feast in this series. I could see him averaging 35+ on very good efficiency.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,675

Post#99 » by nomansland » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:20 am

The previous series probably doesn't matter much other than maybe Luka wanting some revenge. It was a while ago and the rosters are pretty different.

That said, I just don't trust the Clippers. Even if they manage to stay healthy you just know that some of them are going to choke and make boneheaded plays. And I had to laugh a bit at the post about Bones being a difference maker on defense. I could be wrong of course, but right now I'm not seeing it.

Plus Dallas is on a tear. It could be a tough series but I have them in 6 or 7.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,186

Post#100 » by sunsbg » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:35 am

If Mavs get past Clippers then it's likely MVP vs runner up MVP in 2nd round. Nice.

Clippers peak is higher than Mavs peak though and Clippers have advantage on coaching side so let's see.

Return to The General Board