Pat Riley to Jimmy Butler: If you aren’t on the court you should keep your mouth shut

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

mg
General Manager
And1: 4,088

Re: Pat Riley to Jimmy Butler: If you aren’t on the court you should keep your mouth shut 

Post#81 » by mg » Mon May 6, 2024 10:03 pm

Lebron (and Shaq for that matter) was a major pain down in Miami but came through and delivered championships. Riley isn't in this for play in games and 2nd place trophies especially at his age. He's already been stung by giving an older, injury prone player in Chris Bosh a max extension that really set them back a few years and can see why he wouldn't want to go down that road again with Butler.

With that said there are definitely some teams that could use a Jimmy Butler type especially during the playoffs. Philadelphia and a few others including the Cavs both come to mind. Those teams have multiple players that can carry them to wins during the RS so only having Jimmy for 60 games wouldn't kill them.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,152

Re: Pat Riley to Jimmy Butler: If you aren’t on the court you should keep your mouth shut 

Post#82 » by axeman23 » Mon May 6, 2024 10:04 pm

Jimmy back to Philly where him and Embiid can talk every year about how the teams still in the play-offs wouldn't be if THEY were still in the playoffs... :lol:
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,377

Post#83 » by Wolfgang630 » Mon May 6, 2024 10:22 pm

Pat says it like it is. No one going to say **** to him. Jimmy talks so damn much
The KnicksFix
Starter
And1: 1,809

Post#84 » by The KnicksFix » Mon May 6, 2024 10:29 pm

cgf wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
cgf wrote:
Guess that answers what big star we were bringing in before hitting the second apron next summer :lol:

It makes a lot of sense for us. Riley damn sure would want Deuce.

Bogey + Mitch + Deuce + minimum contract would be enough to match for Jimmy...but I wouldn't be surprised if Pat asked for one of the Nova boys instead.

Brunson - Butler - Anunoby - Randle - Hartenstein
Deuce/DDV - DDV/Hart - Achiuwa - Sims

Hell nah
Butler turns 35 next year
He can gtf on
We building in NY
He can kick rocks
___Rand___
RealGM
And1: 10,648

Post#85 » by ___Rand___ » Mon May 6, 2024 10:50 pm

Damn what is you doing Pat? Making him look like a child? THAT ain't gonna go over well with Jimmy.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,152

Post#86 » by axeman23 » Mon May 6, 2024 11:04 pm

___Rand___ wrote:Damn what is you doing Pat? Making him look like a child? THAT ain't gonna go over well with Jimmy.

I mean, Jimmy made Jimmy look like a child. Pat just spelt it out... :lol:
___Rand___
RealGM
And1: 10,648

Post#87 » by ___Rand___ » Mon May 6, 2024 11:35 pm

axeman23 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:Damn what is you doing Pat? Making him look like a child? THAT ain't gonna go over well with Jimmy.

Everybody trash talk in bball. What he did is good! Fans love that.
TroubleS0me
General Manager
And1: 5,489

Post#88 » by TroubleS0me » Mon May 6, 2024 11:41 pm

Telling it how it is..nothing wrong with it.
joeschmo
Junior
And1: 404

Post#89 » by joeschmo » Mon May 6, 2024 11:46 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Damn, now Butler might want to leave. Riley should have kept his mouth shut. :lol:

I think that's the point
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,944

Post#90 » by TheSuzerain » Mon May 6, 2024 11:56 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Jimmy Butler has played 64 playoff games with the Heat. In 20 of them, he's shot 40% from the floor or worse. He's missed 7 games as well. The Heat don't have the same target on their back from the media that other deep playoff teams do. Jimmy gets to have his whole reputation defined by his highest highs but the game by game shows someone who just isn't the caliber of player many make him out to be. He isn't consistent as an offensive player. Game in and game out you cannot rely on him to be your go-to offensive player. Not at a championship level.

The line about an extension for someone who is "available every single night" is truer than I think a lot realize. Between the injuries and inconsistencies, it's hard to justify making him a true supermax player. Heat don't likely have the assets to go get the true #1 offensive player Butler needs to play with and at his age, it becomes harder to write off a max contract as just the cost of doing business the way you can for a younger player who might not truly deserve a supermax but you know that's what it takes to keep him.

Butler has been insanely consistent in terms of series to series star level production. Basically great at all times except for the Bucks sweep.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Post#91 » by Mikistan » Mon May 6, 2024 11:57 pm

axeman23 wrote:

:roll:
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,810

Post#92 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:01 am

ChipotleWest wrote:Damn, now Butler might want to leave. Riley should have kept his mouth shut. :lol:

Butler is about to be 35 years old next season

I'm sure Pat doesn't want to overpay him

This the same dude who let Dwade walk when he was past his prime
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,944

Post#93 » by TheSuzerain » Tue May 7, 2024 12:04 am

iLLmatic860 wrote:

Wade was legit washed up though.

Butler is easily the Heat's best player.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,766

Post#94 » by GeorgeSears » Tue May 7, 2024 12:04 am

Pat Riley is fed up with his starters missing so many games every season. His message is loud and clear: be available or gtfo. Miami will always be a destination city, so attracting top flight free agents won't be a problem.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,594

Post#95 » by durden_tyler » Tue May 7, 2024 12:06 am

Masterclass by Riley on how not to extend an aging, maybe overrated, star so they save some money. Good plan, Pat!
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,810

Post#96 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:08 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:

Wade was legit washed up though.

Butler is easily the Heat's best player.

True but dude can't stay healthy. He's only getting older.
jbsays
Junior
And1: 437

Post#97 » by jbsays » Tue May 7, 2024 12:10 am

iLLmatic860 wrote:

In hindsight it is kind of cool he went to the Bulls. He was a Jordan and Bulls fan growing up and probably thought he could still deliver like his prime so when Riley undercut him it gave him the opportunity to be a Bull and make however many millions more. I mean that is a tv movie in itself.... hometown kid ends up playing for the Bulls.

But yeah.,, Riley low balled the greatest Heat player (sorry Lebron) in franchise history so he'd probably do it to anyone. Another funny story is how he got in to a fight with Shaq before trading him to the Suns. Riley was in his early 60s and almost gets in to a fight with Shaq. I heard Shaq's side, but never heard Riley talk about it.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 20,485

Post#98 » by Mamba Mentality » Tue May 7, 2024 12:13 am

Jimmy: my only goal is to win a championship

Also Jimmy: give me that extension

Can’t have it both ways buddy. Riley is standing his ground, given Butlers history we know where this is more than likely headed.
SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,582

Post#99 » by SweaterBae » Tue May 7, 2024 12:58 am

Riles is an absolute giga chad.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,468

Post#100 » by Heat3 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:00 am

cgf wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:Pat Riley embodies Heat Culture. Not the guy yapping from the bench, while his team gets obliterated in 4/5 games.

Butler is the reason "Heat Culture" isn't just a joke. Before Jimmy saved that franchise, Pat had them on the treadmilliest of treadmills after LeBron left.

It's not that Lebron left, it's that Chris Bosh got sick. That was a max contract that wasn't playing for most of 2 years then never played again. Just sitting there taking up space and not being able to spend that money on decent players. No team can be successful that way.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Return to The General Board