Charlotte Hornets Hire Charles Lee as new Head Coach

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,784

Re: Charlotte Hornets Hire Charles Lee as new Head Coach 

Post#81 » by EmpireFalls » Thu May 9, 2024 4:29 pm

Birth of the Cool wrote:LOL this Baseline81 dude is embarassing himself in this thread. He got outed as ignorant and when called out to name these Coaches he thinks were better options he weaves & dodges.

Good hire for this team at this time.

He basically thinks anyone short of Gregg Popovich is an “inferior option” lol. Even funnier because his team hired an actual nobody (from New Orleans and Toronto) in Chris Finch who turned the franchise around and is having great success. Just an all time incoherent meltdown.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,031

Post#82 » by Snakebites » Thu May 9, 2024 4:31 pm

He’d be coaching the Pistons now if we hadn’t decided to open the vault for Monty.

Just another Piston regret.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,458

Post#83 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:39 pm

JDR720 wrote:There are no accomplished head coaches available besides Bud, who wants to be in a big market and making tons of money. Neither of which we can offer.

And how would the Hornets know Bud doesn't want the job? Is Bud calling them to say don't ask me? Or do the Hornets not have the ambition to ask? And if they did ask, then that means Lee wasn't the first name on the "list."
Baseline81
Starter

Post#84 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:40 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:This is such an odd take considering the success Minnesota is having right now.

Did you happen to read the thread? I've already explained my take on Finch:
Baseline81 wrote:Actually, I would have taken about anyone at that point just to get out from Ryan Saunders. The team had no direction under him.

I will say, though, Rosas had interviewed Finch prior to going with Saunders. So you can see why he went back to that well post-Saunders.
binjumper
Veteran
And1: 3,719

Post#85 » by binjumper » Thu May 9, 2024 4:44 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
DaGawd wrote:man…who?

Bruce's grandson.

ngl I expected an Asian or a White guy.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,170

Post#86 » by DarkAzcura » Thu May 9, 2024 4:48 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:This is such an odd take considering the success Minnesota is having right now.

Did you happen to read the thread? I've already explained my take on Finch:
Baseline81 wrote:Actually, I would have taken about anyone at that point just to get out from Ryan Saunders. The team had no direction under him.

I will say, though, Rosas had interviewed Finch prior to going with Saunders. So you can see why he went back to that well post-Saunders.

That explains nothing. Finch was unaccomplished, and as you said, that is bad for young teams. It’s your logic.
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,351

Post#87 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Thu May 9, 2024 4:54 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:So who do you consider to be superior options who are currently available?

Not sure why it matters, but yes, Bud is clearly a better choice.

Again, as I've previously stated, he may not even want the job. But he should certainly be above Lee on said list. Or are all of these Charlotte fans going to tell me next that the list only had attainable coaches on it? At that, I say where's the ambition.

Why is he above Lee? Look at the Hornets roster and tell me why Bud would be a better choice than Lee. Lee is a way better fit for the Hornets roster than Bud.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#88 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:07 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:That explains nothing. Finch was unaccomplished, and as you said, that is bad for young teams. It’s your logic.

Here's the thing. You and several others are twisting what my argument has been since the beginning. I have no issue with Lee being "a" target and now being hired. I have a huge issue with him being the first choice. Again, I believe Charlotte saying that is merely a PR stunt. I would be utterly shocked if calls to other coaches weren't made.

As for Finch, I posted my response because there was never a formal list.

Minnesota general manager Gersson Rosas, who is Colombian, drew heavy criticism for bypassing an interview process that could have included minority candidates, namely Timberwolves associate head coach David Vanterpool, a highly regarded longtime assistant who is Black

https://sports.yahoo.com/nb-as-coaches-association-admonishes-minnesotas-failure-to-interview-diverse-candidates-182545577.html
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,322

Post#89 » by amcoolio » Thu May 9, 2024 5:23 pm

what even is this thread man lol
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 12,051

Post#90 » by Johnny Fontane » Thu May 9, 2024 5:25 pm

No idea who that is, but good luck to him. Coaching Charlotte’s a rather thankless job
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,585

Post#91 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:26 pm

What????? No Steve Clifford? Kinda shocked....lol i'll give it 3 years
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,813

Post#92 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 9, 2024 5:27 pm

Snakebites wrote:He’d be coaching the Pistons now if we hadn’t decided to open the vault for Monty.

Can't you trade for HC's?

Monty would make sense on the Lakers. Just not sure what it would take to get him there.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,813

Post#93 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 9, 2024 5:29 pm

Johnny Fontane wrote:No idea who that is, but good luck to him. Coaching Charlotte’s a rather thankless job

BMilly remember that name.

The guy who turned Charlotte around. 8-)
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,873

Post#94 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Thu May 9, 2024 5:39 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:That explains nothing. Finch was unaccomplished, and as you said, that is bad for young teams. It’s your logic.

Here's the thing. You and several others are twisting what my argument has been since the beginning. I have no issue with Lee being "a" target and now being hired. I have a huge issue with him being the first choice. Again, I believe Charlotte saying that is merely a PR stunt. I would be utterly shocked if calls to other coaches weren't made.

As for Finch, I posted my response because there was never a formal list.

Minnesota general manager Gersson Rosas, who is Colombian, drew heavy criticism for bypassing an interview process that could have included minority candidates, namely Timberwolves associate head coach David Vanterpool, a highly regarded longtime assistant who is Black

https://sports.yahoo.com/nb-as-coaches-association-admonishes-minnesotas-failure-to-interview-diverse-candidates-182545577.html

Nah, I get what you're trying to point out. I understand where you're coming from.

I'm still waiting for the list though as we all are. That's all we're waiting for. Who else should've been the 1st option instead of Charles Lee? You've been dodging the question this whole time, hence why people are calling you a troll.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,031

Post#95 » by Snakebites » Thu May 9, 2024 5:43 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Snakebites wrote:He’d be coaching the Pistons now if we hadn’t decided to open the vault for Monty.

Can't you trade for HC's?

Monty would make sense on the Lakers. Just not sure what it would take to get him there.

You can. Doc Rivers got traded to the Clippers, the Celtics even got small pick compensation for him- a second rounder or something like that.

I obviously don't see us getting anything for Monty, but I'd love to unload him.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,179

Post#96 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 9, 2024 5:54 pm

SweaterBae wrote:Never heard of him, so probably a great hire. Enough with the retreads already.

Most recent coaching hires seemed to be first timers. Rajakovic, Fernandez, Ham, Lee, Hardy, Griffin, Mazzula
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,179

Post#97 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 9, 2024 5:59 pm

binjumper wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

Bruce's grandson.

ngl I expected an Asian or a White guy.

I think he looks like Rich Paul.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,455

Post#98 » by Billl » Thu May 9, 2024 6:05 pm

No sure why CLT it catching any flack here. He's an up an coming assistant with a solid track record. That's the type of guy you want to target to coach up a young team.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,149

Post#99 » by Bobbymcgee » Thu May 9, 2024 7:03 pm

But Darvin Ham was available?
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,388

Post#100 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:21 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:

Cmon Gawd don't disrespect that man like that. He was the hottest young assistant HC available this off-season.

Lakers also wanted him.

Not true , Jordi was the hottest young assistant HC , Canadian team HC and future Nets HC

Return to The General Board