Man, it must be rough being a Nets fan right now...

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Kiss of Death
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Re: Man, it must be rough being a Nets fan right now... 

Post#81 » by Kiss of Death » Mon May 13, 2024 12:29 pm

You know you’re desperate when you decide to focus on the least important part of my post.

Does the word ‘good’ work for you guys? I’ll go back and edit my post.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,722

Post#82 » by shi-woo » Mon May 13, 2024 12:48 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
shi-woo wrote:Giving up their 3rd Top 3 pick in the past 7-8 years is heartbreaking...

For a team that hasn't done much in that time they've given up picks that have turned into

James Young
Jaylen Brown
Colin Sexton
Markelle Fultz

And whatever all-star level player you know HOU is going to draft this year. This decade needs to be a lesson to any team looking to mortgage their future for quick success when you don't already have an established team. Suns and Clippers have to be shaking in their boots knowing what their future is most likely going to look like.

Nets have built a powerhouse in the East in Boston, and it looks like they built another out West in Houston.

BRK fan's how you feeling right now?

FYP.

And the Celtics just started to mortgage their future as well (as most competing teams end up doing), so I'm not sure what the chest thumping is for.

The problem with the Nets plan was they skipped a big part of the building step and traded for straight to competing the first time. But they are in NY, so they will just rinse and repeat with UFA and cap space in 2 years. But It would be funny if it ended up being with Jayson Tatum.

Raptor fans, why always so sensitive? It's okay, OG went to the other NY team, you can speak freely in this thread with no shame.

No chest thumping, just highlighting the amount of talent the Nets have given up. Celtics have slowly built this roster using those picks, and have made trades in the margins to bring in the players they want. Mortgaging the future now isn't bad because they have their entire Top 8 guys locked up for the next half decade, 2 of which are all-nba players, Top in the league. It's a completely different situation. Tatum and Brown aren't going anywhere, and if they do, Boston will be the team getting back the young gun and the 5 FRP.

The 2nd part of your post also kind of highlights the entire point of the thread, no? That instead of actually building a team from the ground up and then making the all in move, they keep going for the all in move right from the rip and it's burned them.

I find it weird that people use the NY market as an excuse to just be terrible. I go to more Nets games than Celtics, and it's not like that arena has been thumping since I started that tradition, and the only person I know with BRK merch has a DLo jersey. Lowkey the most hype i've ever seen that fanbase.

The Dlo team while not good, had a backing of the city, put up a fight, and created enough emotional charge for people to actually get into the team. I think that's been more important honestly than what they have been doing, striking out year after year. Fans typicaally like to watch their team grow organically, and get attached to their players. A rebuild is just a chance to recreate that moment
Eatgreenz
Senior
And1: 319

Post#83 » by Eatgreenz » Mon May 13, 2024 12:49 pm

Frankie wrote:
Eatgreenz wrote:This draft is horrible. We would have the 3rd pick to select who Sheppard whose baby reaves. Yea not worried

What are Brooklyn planning for next season?

I wouldn't be too concerned with losing a player from this draft either, though you could use one but the top pick this year would be what, 7th or 8th pick in the last couple of drafts? Something like that anyway, I'm not sure Sarr would go in the top 5 last year. So yeah, good year to give up a top 3 pick.

Cooper Flagg is the kid everyone wants on their team. I'm interested to see what you guys do in the offseason.

Looks like just staying flexible with draft picks and developing young players and making sure cap space is open to sign max players in 2025. If a star player like a Donvanon mitchell becomes available this offseason we will make a bid to acquire him.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,957

Post#84 » by basketballRob » Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

garrick wrote:At least the Nets got back 4 firsts and a bunch of 2nds for KD for the Suns trade.

Most of the 1sts though probably won't be high lottery picks but even non lottery picks can produce some solid players if the Nets can draft properly. The 2028 and 2030 picks from the Suns there's a chance that the Suns could drop out of the playoffs altogether since KD will be really old by that time and Beal is probably going to be in steep decline.
I'm banking on the Suns being bad in 2026 since the Magic get the least favorable of the Suns and Washington pick that season.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,339

Post#85 » by KembaWalker » Mon May 13, 2024 1:01 pm

I’d trade some fun blockbuster winning now moves where we “destroy our future” every 2 years over sitting here in the the draft praying for a home run every year. It’s really not that fun to never do anything
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,258

Post#86 » by Johnny Bball » Mon May 13, 2024 1:26 pm

shi-woo wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
shi-woo wrote:Giving up their 3rd Top 3 pick in the past 7-8 years is heartbreaking...

For a team that hasn't done much in that time they've given up picks that have turned into

James Young
Jaylen Brown
Colin Sexton
Markelle Fultz

And whatever all-star level player you know HOU is going to draft this year. This decade needs to be a lesson to any team looking to mortgage their future for quick success when you don't already have an established team. Suns and Clippers have to be shaking in their boots knowing what their future is most likely going to look like.

Nets have built a powerhouse in the East in Boston, and it looks like they built another out West in Houston.

FYP.

And the Celtics just started to mortgage their future as well (as most competing teams end up doing), so I'm not sure what the chest thumping is for.

The problem with the Nets plan was they skipped a big part of the building step and traded for straight to competing the first time. But they are in NY, so they will just rinse and repeat with UFA and cap space in 2 years. But It would be funny if it ended up being with Jayson Tatum.

Raptor fans, why always so sensitive? It's okay, OG went to the other NY team, you can speak freely in this thread with no shame.

No chest thumping, just highlighting the amount of talent the Nets have given up. Celtics have slowly built this roster using those picks, and have made trades in the margins to bring in the players they want. Mortgaging the future now isn't bad because they have their entire Top 8 guys locked up for the next half decade, 2 of which are all-nba players, Top in the league. It's a completely different situation. Tatum and Brown aren't going anywhere, and if they do, Boston will be the team getting back the young gun and the 5 FRP.

The 2nd part of your post also kind of highlights the entire point of the thread, no? That instead of actually building a team from the ground up and then making the all in move, they keep going for the all in move right from the rip and it's burned them.

I find it weird that people use the NY market as an excuse to just be terrible. I go to more Nets games than Celtics, and it's not like that arena has been thumping since I started that tradition, and the only person I know with BRK merch has a DLo jersey. Lowkey the most hype i've ever seen that fanbase.

The Dlo team while not good, had a backing of the city, put up a fight, and created enough emotional charge for people to actually get into the team. I think that's been more important honestly than what they have been doing, striking out year after year. Fans typicaally like to watch their team grow organically, and get attached to their players. A rebuild is just a chance to recreate that moment

Yes, its because I'm sensitive and not because your post is just plain wrong, and trolling another fanbase. :roll:

But thank you for rambling extensively.
danvato
Rookie
And1: 1,104

Post#87 » by danvato » Mon May 13, 2024 1:48 pm

AussieCeltic wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
It’s weak in the sense there is no sure fire future ALL NBA guy like Wemby, Chet, Paolo, Ant etc.. But there is plenty of good talent and for a team like the Nets who have nothing to build around right now other than a 28 year old who is never going to be an all star in Mikal Bridges, then that would be hard to stomach.

Yeah exactly and in that scenario you could argue that the cheaper salary of pick 5-6 is better than pick 3.

Just saying it's not as big of a deal as other years. Nets aren't any worse than they expected to be all season.

They have some work to do to rebuild. But they have a lot of great extra picks from other teams. I could see them having a big offseason

Are the great extra picks in the room with us?

They have 0 picks this season. 0!!

In 2025 they only have the Suns pick in the first round.

In 2026 they have 0 first round picks again.

In 2027 they have Philly and Suns.

In 2028 they have their own.

In 2029 they have Mavs, Suns and their own.

So a team that has one of the worst rosters in the league, won’t be able to add any young players until 2027.

look up what the word "swap" means.
Educator
Junior
And1: 408

Post#88 » by Educator » Mon May 13, 2024 2:23 pm

It's extremely tough to be a Nets fan, but it's not because of the trade for James Harden. That was obviously the right move. The Nets were far and away the best team in the league when Harden, Durant, and Irving all played. If you want to fault management for failing to keep the team together, trading for Ben Simmons, or basically anything else that has happened since the initial trade for Harden, be my guest, but the trade for Harden itself was the right move.
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 340

Post#89 » by Slimjimzv » Mon May 13, 2024 2:46 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Considering that everyone says this draft is extremely weak up top I don't think losing pick 3 is the sting it would be in other years.

I don't know. They may miss out on another James Young!
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,051

Post#90 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon May 13, 2024 3:13 pm

Educator wrote:It's extremely tough to be a Nets fan, but it's not because of the trade for James Harden. That was obviously the right move. The Nets were far and away the best team in the league when Harden, Durant, and Irving all played. If you want to fault management for failing to keep the team together, trading for Ben Simmons, or basically anything else that has happened since the initial trade for Harden, be my guest, but the trade for Harden itself was the right move.

I don't think the trade for Harden was the right move because the cost was too high.

I think they could have done it with some protections for the picks or at least the pick swaps. I think Marks had to realize that there was a very high risk of Harden leaving.

The Simmons trade was worse though I agree. We should have just let Harden walk if he wanted. Philly couldn't sign him anyway and he had nowhere else to go. Plus Kyrie was coming back.
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,554

Post#91 » by nbafan38 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:20 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:They are in the worst situation of any team in the NBA right now. Phoenix and LAC aren't far behind, though.

What makes Brooklyn's situation so frustrating for fans is that the team has now made the same exact franchise-sinking mistake twice in a decade.

Not really the same situations at all. The initial trade in the decade was dumb trading for two players past their primes that were not going to make the nets a real contender. Trading for Harden to pair with Kyrie and Durant for a few years legit title run was worth the risk, almost any team would have taken that chance. It didn't work out, it happens.
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#92 » by Decipher » Mon May 13, 2024 8:11 pm

As a Nets fan, I didn’t bother doing any research into this draft until I saw this thread

However, I had seen Sarr play in the NBL & a couple of others in NCAA

Explain to me in simple terms why I should be bothered about the Nets missing out on a bunch of middling prospects

Sarr is now projected to go #1 and he wouldn’t start for us & nor would most of the projected lottery and we absolutely suck
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,938

Post#93 » by Karate Diop » Mon May 13, 2024 8:15 pm

James Young
Jaylen Brown
Colin Sexton
Jayson Tatum

Edit: Just to give people the full scope, because it seems a lot of fans in here don't realize just how bad it's really been:

Deron Williams:

#3 Derrick Favors (traded rookie year)
#3 Enes Kanter
#21 Dieng

Pierce/Garnet:
#17 Young
#3 Brown
#1 Tatum
#8 Sexton

Harden
#17 Tari Eason
#3 (player tbd)

A bunch of #3 picks and #17, like clockwork for every trade since 2011
5 Top 3 picks, and another high lotto.

The Deron Williams trade was fine, it was the Gerald Wallace one that was idiotic.

Trading for KG and Pierce was idiotic from day 1.

Trading for Harden was fine, given who he was at the time, but who knew there'd be a pandemic that lit a fuse with Kyrie and destroyed his relationship with Harden.

We'll see what the Rockets do with the #3 pick, but if we're being fair they haven't gotten anything of value from the Nets yet...
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,082

Post#94 » by Drakeem » Mon May 13, 2024 8:18 pm

Not going to let people bring hindsight and revolutionist history into this.

The Big 3 with KD/Kyrie/Harden was a no-brainer. It failed spectacularly, but not due to the on-court product like some of these other superteams. In fact, if they stay healthy they're almost guaranteed that Bucks ring. They had 3 all-time scorers and two of them doubling as playmakers. They wouldn't have the issues the Suns have or that the Clippers had before this year.

The Nets made the right moves to bring 3 talents of that magnitude together. The fact that COVID + injuries derailed them is a completely different story. I wonder which of you predicted COVID and Kyrie's unwillingness to take the vaccine before the pandemic started. Kyrie seems to be playing great in Dallas now, so clearly it wasn't a talent issue.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
SomeBunghole
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,583

Post#95 » by SomeBunghole » Mon May 13, 2024 8:41 pm

Karate Diop wrote:Trading for Harden was fine, given who he was at the time, but who knew there'd be a pandemic that lit a fuse with Kyrie and destroyed his relationship with Harden.

We were almost a year into the pandemic when the trade for Harden happened, though.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,938

Post#96 » by Karate Diop » Mon May 13, 2024 8:48 pm

SomeBunghole wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:Trading for Harden was fine, given who he was at the time, but who knew there'd be a pandemic that lit a fuse with Kyrie and destroyed his relationship with Harden.

We were almost a year into the pandemic when the trade for Harden happened, though.

You're right, but the lockdown and subsequent NY / Brooklyn policies are what caused the rift. That's a once in a lifetime type event (hopefully) and hilariously on brand for the Nets :lol:
SomeBunghole
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,583

Post#97 » by SomeBunghole » Mon May 13, 2024 9:07 pm

Karate Diop wrote:You're right, but the lockdown and subsequent NY / Brooklyn policies are what caused the rift. That's a once in a lifetime type event (hopefully) and hilariously on brand for the Nets :lol:

I swear, some of the stuff that happened in Brooklyn(and in Philly, when I think about it) in the past 5-6 years would seem preposterous if I was watching it in a sports movie. It just beggars belief.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,714

Post#98 » by Vampirate » Mon May 13, 2024 10:05 pm

Drakeem wrote:Not going to let people bring hindsight and revolutionist history into this.

The Big 3 with KD/Kyrie/Harden was a no-brainer. It failed spectacularly, but not due to the on-court product like some of these other superteams. In fact, if they stay healthy they're almost guaranteed that Bucks ring. They had 3 all-time scorers and two of them doubling as playmakers. They wouldn't have the issues the Suns have or that the Clippers had before this year.

The Nets made the right moves to bring 3 talents of that magnitude together. The fact that COVID + injuries derailed them is a completely different story. I wonder which of you predicted COVID and Kyrie's unwillingness to take the vaccine before the pandemic started. Kyrie seems to be playing great in Dallas now, so clearly it wasn't a talent issue.

Here's the biggest issue.

Neither Kyrie (especially) nor KD really earned that type of move to have their franchise put in all their picks.

If either was there and playing 3 years prior, than the request to go after Harden would have been much more understandable.

In other words, should things not work out, how much would you trust them.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,967

Post#99 » by One_and_Done » Mon May 13, 2024 10:45 pm

SomeBunghole wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:You're right, but the lockdown and subsequent NY / Brooklyn policies are what caused the rift. That's a once in a lifetime type event (hopefully) and hilariously on brand for the Nets :lol:

I swear, some of the stuff that happened in Brooklyn(and in Philly, when I think about it) in the past 5-6 years would seem preposterous if I was watching it in a sports movie. It just beggars belief.

You can go all the way back to the Dwightmare tbh. "I really liked the candy on the team plane, so I opted into my contract". D.Will's injury and decline, the Russian billionaire cheaping out right before the picks were due, etc. The Nets have had incredibly bad luck.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,181

Post#100 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 13, 2024 10:55 pm

Well. Think about the Kings. IF they trade the #13 which is what most expect the draft doesn't look great. Don't get me wrong, I like the spot the Kings are in now and the current FO is much better, but if they don't start thinking long term it will bite them on the backside because they're not a big market team that can afford to trade all their picks because players are going to go there.

Potential decade of Kings picks if things go the way some believe it will.
2016 - Marquese Chriss (traded for Bogdan Bogdanovich, Georgios Papagiannis and Skal Labissière)
2017 - De'Aaron Fox
2018 - Marvin Bagley (traded for Trey Lyles)
2019 - Traded to Philly from previous trade (then traded to Boston)
2020 - Tyrese Haliburton (traded for Sabonis)
2021 - Davion Mitchell
2022 - Keegan Murray
2023 - Traded to Dallas
2024 - Traded?
2025 - Traded to Atlanta (top 12 protected)

The Kings have the potential to have just 1-2 players they've drafted in a couple of years. OKC can probably do that each and every year for a decade :lol:

Return to The General Board