Best possible return for Karl Anthony-Towns?

Moderators: Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199

10DayContract
Veteran
And1: 2,672

Re: Best possible return for Karl Anthony-Towns? 

Post#81 » by 10DayContract » Tue May 14, 2024 9:13 pm

BigGargamel wrote:The Wolves went from sweeping the Nuggets to having to blow up the team. Fickle, fickle board as usual. :lol:

Towns always needed to go lol.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,594

Post#82 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue May 14, 2024 9:21 pm

louc1970 wrote:
ShootersShoot wrote:
louc1970 wrote:I don't see that working. Towns and Banchero play the same spot. And if you are taking Wagner off the table, there is very little Wolves would want back.
Centers are of little value with Gobert there. It would have to include Wagner and Anthony.

Towns wouldnt be any worse of a fit in the frontcourt with Banchero than with Gobert. KAT can just slide back to center.

One of the reasons Wolves went after Gobert was Towns was wanting to be moved if he had to continue playing center. They placated him.
It is one of the issues Anthony Davis has as well.they both want to be PFs.

Got a link? Never heard of that.

And there are other Timberwolves fans on here questioning it, too.

[Note: I think Towns would probably be sent East in a trade. How about Washington. They finally got rid of the Beal contract... let them handle the new Towns' deal next.]
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,211

Post#83 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue May 14, 2024 9:51 pm

Mr B wrote:Anthony Davis is still the best possible return for KAT.

He is quite significantly better then Kat, but he can't shoot anymore besides upclose middies. Prolly the worst 3pt shooting star big out there.

Wouldn't be good fit next to Gobert due to that. Even if AD wanna be a 4 full time. It actually makes more sense to trade Gobert for AD lol, and let Kat stretch the D.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,646

Post#84 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 14, 2024 9:55 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:

He is quite significantly better then Kat, but he can't shoot anymore besides upclose middies. Prolly the worst 3pt shooting star big out there.

Wouldn't be good fit next to Gobert due to that. Even if AD wanna be a 4 full time. It actually makes more sense to trade Gobert for AD lol, and let Kat stretch the D.

Davis wouldn’t survive one of our Minnesota winters.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,385

Post#85 » by shrink » Tue May 14, 2024 9:56 pm

louc1970 wrote:One of the reasons Wolves went after Gobert was Towns was wanting to be moved if he had to continue playing center. They placated him.

I’ve never heard that before in my life.
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,211

Post#86 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue May 14, 2024 9:59 pm

shrink wrote:
louc1970 wrote:One of the reasons Wolves went after Gobert was Towns was wanting to be moved if he had to continue playing center. They placated him.

I’ve never heard that before in my life.

I'm pretty sure he is confusing him with someone else lol Maybe JJ jr?

I watched every single second of Kats career, and there was never any moment in his 9 year long career that this guy said he rather be a PF. Infact he took pride in being seen as a Center.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#87 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 14, 2024 10:11 pm

Here is a crazy one. In Tim Connelly we trust. If any rumor of him being courted by Pistons (or other teams) let’s return some assets to him so can [still] play GM in MN.

To Hawks: Towns

To Jazz: Trae + Moore Jr

To Wolves: All Wolves 1sts (returned) + Hendricks + George + 42M TPE

That’s right. Wolves get a GOF for next to Edwards in George. A FOF for next to McDaniels in Hendricks. And fully stock Connolly’s war chest. He should be excited to stay and try another “Gobert trade” when he finds the right ingredient to add to his recipe he is brewing in MN.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 558

Post#88 » by NDaATL » Tue May 14, 2024 10:25 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Here is a crazy one. In Tim Connelly we trust. If any rumor of him being courted by Pistons (or other teams) let’s return some assets to him so can [still] play GM in MN.

That’s right. Wolves get a GOF for next to Edwards in George. A FOF for next to McDaniels in Hendricks. And fully stock Connolly’s war chest. He should be excited to stay and try another “Gobert trade” when he finds the right ingredient to add to his recipe he is brewing in MN.

So Minny gives up Towns and gets George + 4 first round picks + a 42M TPE + Hendricks? LOL that's basically 6 1st rounders.

Jazz and Hawks would never make this trade.
In-N-Out 247
Junior
And1: 251

Post#89 » by In-N-Out 247 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:32 pm

NDaATL wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Here is a crazy one. In Tim Connelly we trust. If any rumor of him being courted by Pistons (or other teams) let’s return some assets to him so can [still] play GM in MN.

So Minny gives up Towns and gets Paul George + 4 first round picks + a 42M TPE + Hendricks? LOL

Pretty sure he means Keyonte George not Paul George.

I seriously doubt they trade KAT - he fits what they are trying to do. Beside, they are stuck with him, his contract is ridiculous.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 558

Post#90 » by NDaATL » Tue May 14, 2024 10:43 pm

In-N-Out 247 wrote:
NDaATL wrote:

So Minny gives up Towns and gets Paul George + 4 first round picks + a 42M TPE + Hendricks? LOL

I seriously doubt they trade KAT - he fits what they are trying to do. Beside, they are stuck with him, his contract is ridiculous.

LOL, doh! I fixed my reply, it doesn't make the trade any better though. Jazz aren't giving up essentially 6 FRPs to reunite Trae and John Collins. Hawks wouldn't do this either but it's the worst for the Jazz.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#91 » by Wolveswin » Tue May 14, 2024 10:52 pm

NDaATL wrote:
In-N-Out 247 wrote:
NDaATL wrote:So Minny gives up Towns and gets Paul George + 4 first round picks + a 42M TPE + Hendricks? LOL

LOL, doh! I fixed my reply, it doesn't make the trade any better though. Jazz aren't giving up essentially 6 FRPs to reunite Trae and John Collins. Hawks wouldn't do this either but it's the worst for the Jazz.

lol not Paul George. And only 3x 1sts do Jazz own of Wolves. 2025 will be real late 1st. 2029 is protected.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,075

Post#92 » by thinktank » Tue May 14, 2024 11:38 pm

In-N-Out 247 wrote:
NDaATL wrote:

There’s always a GM willing to trade. Usually a bad team.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
shrink
RealGM

Post#93 » by shrink » Wed May 15, 2024 12:00 am

Again, MIN competing in the playoffs is a rare thing, and it’s unlikely they are going to go backwards trading Towns for picks, especially when they will likely try to get public financing for one of the oldest arenas in the NBA.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#94 » by thinktank » Wed May 15, 2024 12:19 am

shrink wrote:Again, MIN competing in the playoffs is a rare thing, and it’s unlikely they are going to go backwards trading Towns for picks, especially when they will likely try to get public financing for one of the oldest arenas in the NBA.

Trading KAT doesn’t guarantee the Wolves will go backwards. And you can’t trade KAT for just picks anyway.

Signed,
Another Wolves Fan
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,171

Post#95 » by Mr B » Wed May 15, 2024 12:25 am

Wolveswin wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:

Davis wouldn’t survive one of our Minnesota winters.

Have you seen the Stephon Marbury interview where he says that was THE reason he asked for a trade? He loved the team and KG but just couldn’t stand the winters.
shrink
RealGM

Post#96 » by shrink » Wed May 15, 2024 12:26 am

thinktank wrote:
shrink wrote:Again, MIN competing in the playoffs is a rare thing, and it’s unlikely they are going to go backwards trading Towns for picks, especially when they will likely try to get public financing for one of the oldest arenas in the NBA.

Trading KAT doesn’t guarantee the Wolves will go backwards. And you can’t trade KAT for just picks anyway.

Signed,
Another Wolves Fan

Sorry, I didn’t realize I had to explain Keynote George and Hendricks aren’t better than Towns in the trade you quoted.

They are not. Salary relief and future picks usually don’t do well in playoff box scores either.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#97 » by thinktank » Wed May 15, 2024 12:51 am

shrink wrote:
thinktank wrote:

Signed,
Another Wolves Fan

Sorry, I didn’t realize I had to explain Keynote George and Hendricks aren’t better than Towns in the trade you quoted.

They are not. Salary relief and future picks usually don’t do well in playoff box scores either.

It looked like you were speaking generally, and I believe you are, actually, since it’s VERY well established that you’re against trading Towns. You didn’t quote a post either, and this thread is about the best return for Towns.

Do you have an answer to the OP’s question?
shrink
RealGM

Post#98 » by shrink » Wed May 15, 2024 1:14 am

thinktank wrote:
shrink wrote:
thinktank wrote:Trading KAT doesn’t guarantee the Wolves will go backwards. And you can’t trade KAT for just picks anyway.

Signed,
Another Wolves Fan

It looked like you were speaking generally, and I believe you are, actually, since it’s VERY well established that you’re against trading Towns. You didn’t quote a post either, and this thread is about the best return for Towns.

Sigh. I am not opposed to a Towns trade. I think it’s unlikely, because the Wolves trip to the second round of the playoffs is a big deal for this franchise, and the team will remain win-now through next year, as ownership tries to get public support for a new stadium. With Towns contract and trade value, it is unlikely to find a return that improves the Wolves. A rebuilding trade for youth, picks and cap space seems particularly unrealistic. We’ll have to see if ownership demands massive cuts in payroll.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 193

Post#99 » by louc1970 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:27 am

Wolveswin wrote:
louc1970 wrote:
ShootersShoot wrote:
Towns wouldnt be any worse of a fit in the frontcourt with Banchero than with Gobert. KAT can just slide back to center.

One of the reasons Wolves went after Gobert was Towns was wanting to be moved if he had to continue playing center. They placated him.
It is one of the issues Anthony Davis has as well.they both want to be PFs.

That isn’t the full truth with Towns. Towns motivation is to be the “best shooting big man” in NBA. Like ever. And on offense end of floor, he can’t be shackled to block work and post ups with that initiative.

On defense, Towns weakness is rotation and help D. Although much better last few years, patrolling the middle and protecting the rim as last line of defense is asking Towns to do just that - and not leveraging his strengths.

Towns needs the right bigman matchup. Being Towns is the 4 or 5 is irrelevant. I think Towns best pairing is when he is the center but with a rim protecting 4 that prefers block work on O. Towns can guard the other teams 5 well - but the 4 needs to be the rim protecting bigman.

JJJ, Mobley, Isaac are some awesome pairings off top of my head. Banchero could work too.

Towns can’t guard anyone. He us just bad on defense.
thinktank
Analyst

Post#100 » by thinktank » Wed May 15, 2024 1:56 am

shrink wrote:
thinktank wrote:
shrink wrote:Sorry, I didn’t realize I had to explain Keynote George and Hendricks aren’t better than Towns in the trade you quoted.

Sigh. I am not opposed to a Towns trade. I think it’s unlikely, because the Wolves trip to the second round of the playoffs is a big deal for this franchise, and the team will remain win-now through next year, as ownership tries to get public support for a new stadium. With Towns contract and trade value, it is unlikely to find a return that improves the Wolves. A rebuilding trade for youth, picks and cap space seems particularly unrealistic. We’ll have to see if ownership demands massive cuts in payroll.

I sincerely thank you for your honesty. I’ll assume you personally don’t like a KAT trade. That’s fine!

I like the Knicks or Magic. Send him East and round out the roster and get a draft pick or two. DiVincenzo looks like a player and Knicks have some bigs to choose from (not Randle). For the Magic, Isaac could be rounding into form and fits our defensive culture. They also have some other good role players (Suggs comes home?). I don’t buy the “trading a superstar never works” argument. My two cents!

Return to The General Board